PDA

View Full Version : Opponent Preview: Idaho State

CK Sooner
6/30/2009, 04:33 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062509aaa.html

Game Buildup

After a tough test against BYU in the season opener, the Sooners will storm Owen Field for the first time in '09 against Idaho State.

The Bengals certainly have a daunting task in front of them. However, since Appalachian State upset Michigan two years ago, FCS teams everywhere have reason to hope, and they have had more and more success against Division I foes.

Season Outlook

Idaho State is looking to rebound after a 1-11 campaign last season. With 14 returning starters and experienced players back at several positions, the Bengals have a solid core to build around.

Idaho State hopes a tough nonconference slate that includes Arizona State and Oklahoma to open the season will prepare them for a run in the Big Sky.

Player to Watch

J.D. Ponciano | WR/KR | No. 9 | Senior
A dynamic all-purpose threat, Ponciano is on pace to shatter the ISU career record for kickoff return yards.

He set the Idaho State single-season record with 996 yards last year and was an honorable mention All-American in 2007.

The Bengals may also look to utilize Ponciano more in the passing game as they try to replace the school's all-time receptions leader, Eddie Thompson.

Other Key Players
WR Jaron Taylor, Sr.
WR Isaiah Burel, Jr.
QB Russell Hill, Jr.
LB Phillip Arias, Jr.
DB A.J. Storms, So. P Jon Vanderwielen, Sr.
DB Michael Wright, Sr.
OL Lance Cartwright, Sr.
RB Clint Knickrehm, Sr.
LB Nic Edgson, Sr.

Key vs. Idaho State's Offense

With eight starters returning, led by third-year QB Russell Hill, ISU is counting on its offense to hit stride early. Hill may not be the biggest quarterback, but he makes up for it with his mobility and has thrown for more than 5,000 yards over the last two seasons.

Despite the loss of their leading receiver, the Bengals return nine wideouts who saw time last year, including honorable mention All-Big Sky performers Jaron Taylor and Isaiah Burel.

Given the Bengals' experience in the passing game, it will be key for Oklahoma's front seven to contain Hill, who likes to drag plays out with his feet. OU's corners and safeties, meanwhile, must stay disciplined against the deep and talented ISU receiving corps.

Key vs. Idaho State's Defense

Idaho State had a strong showing in the spring and was very active in creating turnovers.

While they must replace five starters altogether, the Bengals return multiple first-teamers at linebacker and in the secondary. Therefore, look for the Bengals to try to slow down the Sooners by making plays on the ball in an attempt to change the possession.

The key for OU's offense will thus be protecting the football, both at the line of scrimmage and in the open field.

Game Implications

A win for the Sooners would tie the school record for consecutive home victories at 25. Idaho State hopes to add to the FCS' recent string of success against FBS opponents.

CK Sooner
6/30/2009, 04:34 PM
-
A win for the Sooners would tie the school record for consecutive home victories at 25-

stoops the eternal pimp
6/30/2009, 04:37 PM
lol

BYU Krueger
6/30/2009, 04:48 PM
Opponent Preview: BYU

BYU-63
OU- 0

JLEW1818
6/30/2009, 05:11 PM

BYU-63
OU- 0

just don't preach at the game... football only please.

CK Sooner
6/30/2009, 05:28 PM

BYU-63
OU- 0

:mad:

soonerfan28
6/30/2009, 06:18 PM
I'll say that Calhoun will have 3 TD's in this game.

soonerfan28
6/30/2009, 06:32 PM

BYU-63
OU- 0

I hope you're kidding. You guys are missing a few D-lineman who were planning to contribute this season and it's not like BYU's seen and offensive like the one we'll roll out on Sept 5th.

JLEW1818
6/30/2009, 07:41 PM
nor does BYU have an offensive line to protect pretty boy Hall

Boomer38Sooner
6/30/2009, 08:23 PM
I say we hold BYU under 20 points

JLEW1818
6/30/2009, 08:28 PM
we need to.. or at least 21

CK Sooner
6/30/2009, 08:45 PM
I say we hold BYU under 20 points

I would hope so.

fadada1
6/30/2009, 09:26 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062509aaa.html

Game Buildup

what, exactly, is there to build up? OU home opener after game #1 in *Texas*... Sooners - 4120 (missed PAT), ISU 0 (and that's being optimistic).

Season Outlook

is there anything worse than "bleak"????

Player to Watch

let's just hope no one gets hurt.

Key vs. Idaho State's Offense

throw 403 passes and hope for a 25% completion rate.

Key vs. Idaho State's Defense

let's just hope no one gets hurt.

Game Implications

OU might get bumped to the second half of gameday final should ISU keep it under 90. nothing good can come from anything less than a win by elevenybillion.

oudivesherpa
7/1/2009, 09:48 AM

BYU-63
OU- 0

If you believe that you would believe that an Angle named Moroni gave Joseph Smith celestial tablets in New York.

It takes a lot of Faith.

Gandalf_The_Grey
7/1/2009, 11:17 AM
I don't know what you guys are so confident about. The Thundering Potatoes may be the most underrated team coming off a 1-11 season in the history of college football. That corner A.J. Storms sounds like a professional wrestler to me. And J.D. Ponciano sounds like a law firm waiting to happen. I am going to call it now

Thundering Potatoes - 73
OU - 0

cheezyq
7/1/2009, 12:14 PM
If you believe that you would believe that an Angle named Moroni gave Joseph Smith celestial tablets in New York.

It takes a lot of Faith.

Is THAT what it's called? I was thinking more along the lines of delusion...but that's just me. :)

SoonerInFortSmith
7/1/2009, 06:32 PM
Is THAT what it's called? I was thinking more along the lines of delusion...but that's just me. :)

I think calling it delusion is still being too nice...but that's just me.