PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Gameplan

Sooner02
6/30/2009, 01:28 PM
Is it available to order yet at discount? For those who've had it, how is the SD quality? Do they still not offer any games in HD?

badger
6/30/2009, 06:27 PM
What's yer location, 02? Are you really worried about not getting Sooner games?

BoomerSooner, esq.
7/1/2009, 12:21 PM
I checked yesterday and it is not available yet. For some reason, I though that I purchased it about this time last year. I am pretty sure that there will not be any games in HD.

I am near Chicago and I think I got at least two or three games on Gameplan that I would not have gotten without it.

Well worth the $110 bucks or whatever it costs.

sooner94
7/1/2009, 03:09 PM
I say this every year when this question comes up. If you are a college football fan, then you should get it.

There is always at least one game per week that you want to watch that you would only get with GamePlan.

Sooner02
7/1/2009, 10:40 PM
Well, my tv situation has changed since I moved and basically I get distant networks ABC out of New York now, so no more KOCO. I think I'll have to get Gameplan for the ABC regional games, but I don't really want it if it's Youtube quality that I could watch on ESPN360 anyway.

OSUAggie
7/1/2009, 11:10 PM
I say this every year when this question comes up. If you are a college football fan, then you should get it.

There is always at least one game per week that you want to watch that you would only get with GamePlan.

I would amend that to say if you're a college football fan that can't or doesn't make it to many games, then it's worth it. It's definitely worth it as far as the out-of-market regional network games (ABC/ESPN I suppose is the only one applicable in this situation). Plus the coverage of games from the Rocky Mountains and west is substantially better.

But if you're going to be on campus most Saturdays it's a bit of a waste.

SoonerInFla
7/2/2009, 01:52 AM
Well, my tv situation has changed since I moved and basically I get distant networks ABC out of New York now, so no more KOCO. I think I'll have to get Gameplan for the ABC regional games, but I don't really want it if it's Youtube quality that I could watch on ESPN360 anyway.

Are you interested in this mainly for OU Football purposes? If so, do not buy the entire year. Just order gameplan for the day on the days you get regionally screwed out of the OU game. There will probably only be a couple of these.

oudivesherpa
7/2/2009, 10:06 AM
Living in Houston I get most of the OU games, except for last year when Hurricane Ike knocked off power and I had to try to pick up the Washington game on the radio. I couldn't hear the game very well and thought it was a close game cause all I could hear was touchdown. But it was all OU touchdowns.

Bottom line: If you live in Houston pass on ESPN game plan, but get a generator!

MamaMia
7/2/2009, 10:38 AM
I'm going to play the Dish is cheaper card to see if I can get a discount on my Direct TV.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/2/2009, 10:41 AM
I had it a couple of years...wasn't worth it to me, because the games they showed were mostly crappers

LosAngelesSooner
7/2/2009, 11:31 AM
Lord, for me it was a waste of money last year. I didn't end up watching a single game on it because the only games out here that they showed were REALLY crappy matchups between teams you didn't care about (like Citadel vs Army).

I'm not paying for it this year. AT&T U-Verse seems to get all the good games and every Sooner game.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/2/2009, 11:41 AM
I hardly ever watched it myself....Cornell vs Yale just isn't worth that kinda loot

1890MilesToNorman
7/2/2009, 11:42 AM
Call yer provider, I had it in 07 and they automatically assumed I wanted it in 08 and billed me fer it. I didn't want it in 08 and it was a PIA to get it off my bill.

Sooner02
7/2/2009, 12:44 PM
Are you interested in this mainly for OU Football purposes? If so, do not buy the entire year. Just order gameplan for the day on the days you get regionally screwed out of the OU game. There will probably only be a couple of these.
Of course I want it to ensure I get all OU games. I know we play on regional ABC several times a season, but it'd be nice to know the network schedule in advance. There are also west coast games I've wanted to see and haven't been able to, but not sure the Gameplan video quality is worth it.

allenrayx
7/2/2009, 12:56 PM
dont wast your money on gameplan it sux..........if you want a good sports pack especialy for OU football fox sports network is the way to go its alot cheaper............ive had both and gameplan always has blackouts

stoops the eternal pimp
7/2/2009, 01:27 PM
Of course I want it to ensure I get all OU games. I know we play on regional ABC several times a season, but it'd be nice to know the network schedule in advance. There are also west coast games I've wanted to see and haven't been able to, but not sure the Gameplan video quality is worth it.

not many OU games included in the the gameplan

sooner94
7/2/2009, 02:34 PM
I'm going to play the Dish is cheaper card to see if I can get a discount on my Direct TV.

DirecTV is pretty good about doing that. They should give you some type of credit, or at least some free movie channels for a year.

sooner94
7/2/2009, 02:37 PM
I had it a couple of years...wasn't worth it to me, because the games they showed were mostly crappers

I guess its personal preference. I like it because I can catch some ACC, Big 10 and PAC 10 games to see how good the some other teams/conferences are. And sometimes there are two or more good regional games on ABC at the same time. I will admit I watch WAY too much college football.

stoops the eternal pimp
7/2/2009, 02:38 PM
I watch a lot too...but with abc and cbs plus all the fox sports and the big10 network, I can watch all those conferences

allenrayx
7/2/2009, 09:47 PM
I watch a lot too...but with abc and cbs plus all the fox sports and the big10 network, I can watch all those conferences

exactly ..........and 12 dollors a month for fsn v.s what is it now $129.00 for gameplan? just my opinion but i was happier with the fsn pack.

OKC-SLC
7/3/2009, 12:28 AM
Tell me what I should do in my situation:

We just moved to Reno, NV, and just got started with DirectTV.

I am interested in getting all the OU games I can get, and I'm afraid the regional game is often not going to be OU.

Is gameplan something I should do?

stoops the eternal pimp
7/3/2009, 01:18 AM
sometime closer to the season, they will come out with a schedule of games..take a look at it and see if they will broadcast what games you need

OU_Sooners75
7/3/2009, 02:47 AM
ESPN Gameplan early bird sign up usually comes out in the middle of July I do believe.

I have Direct TV and I will be getting ESPN Gameplan as well as the NFL ticket. Both of which come available at about the same time.

I know using Direct TV, you can request it now...and when it comes available at the discounted price, they sign you up...at least they did so last year...and they will not charge you until then.

allenrayx
7/3/2009, 11:03 AM

I am interested in getting all the OU games I can get, and I'm afraid the regional game is often not going to be OU.

no...................get fsn it will show all the OU games that are not nationally televised

Sooner02
7/3/2009, 11:45 AM
no...................get fsn it will show all the OU games that are not nationally televised
They show ABC regionals?

allenrayx
7/3/2009, 12:44 PM
i didnt miss any games when i had it.......i live outside of knoxville and usually when a game was on abc i could watch it on abc here but eastcoast and central coincide w/ each other im not sure how mountain and pacific work

sooner94
7/3/2009, 01:56 PM
The ABC regional games are not on the Fox sports channels.

allenrayx
7/3/2009, 03:50 PM
like i said usually when it was on abc it is on abc here as well.....as far as it being on abc on mountain and pacific time i dont know.but if it isnt on abc or espn it was always on fsn i paid for gameplan for 2 years and never watched a OU game on it

olevetonahill
7/3/2009, 03:54 PM

Use yer Old address and tell em ya want the OKC locals
then just get the sports pak

Sooner02
7/29/2009, 01:27 AM
ESPN GamePlan is subject to blackouts for those games in your designated region. As ABC Sports simultaneously broadcasts several games to different regions of the country, ESPN GamePlan subscribers will see one game each week on their local ABC station instead of as part of the subscription. As a result, if you are an ESPN GamePlan subscriber, the games shown on the ABC affiliate within the local market will be blacked out. The same may apply to some regionally syndicated games. ESPN GamePlan subscribers may receive some games via local TV stations. Those games may also be available in the subscription or, in limited situations, could be available only via the local station and not duplicated in the subscription.
Does anyone know what happens if your market doesn't have an ABC affiliate, yet I'm still in Oklahoma? Will directv still black me out, even though there's no antenna option?

BoomerSooner, esq.
7/29/2009, 11:23 AM
I am in Chicago and with Gameplan I only missed one game last year. They do have a lot of powderpuff games like central michigan at ball state, but there was always at least one good game that I could not get on any other station.

FSN is another good option if you dont care about watching other conferences. You will definitely get the OU games with FSN

Sooner02
7/29/2009, 01:36 PM
If a game is blacked out by Gameplan, is there a way to purchase the game with PPV?

oudivesherpa
7/29/2009, 05:01 PM
I'm not paying for it this year. AT&T U-Verse seems to get all the good games and every Sooner game.

Hmmm, I wonder if the CEO of AT&T being an OU alumn (Master's in Accounting) has anything to do with it?

madillsoonerfan5353
7/29/2009, 07:36 PM
Hell if you're in my area, Dish said that I can't get an ABC at all!!! The damn government has **** things up again!

:mad:

Scott D
7/29/2009, 07:42 PM
Does anyone know what happens if your market doesn't have an ABC affiliate, yet I'm still in Oklahoma? Will directv still black me out, even though there's no antenna option?

nowhere on your television's local channels is an ABC affiliate? I have trouble believing that. Wherever that station is based out of is considered your local affiliate.

madillsoonerfan5353
7/29/2009, 07:49 PM
nowhere on your television's local channels is an ABC affiliate? I have trouble believing that. Wherever that station is based out of is considered your local affiliate.

I'm telling you that, just got of the phone with Dish!

:pop:

Scott D
7/29/2009, 07:51 PM
Dish just wants to charge you extra.

madillsoonerfan5353
7/29/2009, 07:54 PM

Direct Tv has an antenna option, it's like a converter box that cost 150! I called them too! But in my area I can't get WFAA(Dallas) or KOCO(OKC?)! The government has ****ed things up again!!

Sooner02
7/29/2009, 09:13 PM
Believe it. There are others in different parts of the country that can't get one network or another on antenna because of distance and the satellite companies don't offer them unless you purchase one out of NY or LA. I had cable which offered OKC locals (non HD) but satellite is a different story.

Sooner02
7/29/2009, 09:18 PM
Direct Tv has an antenna option, it's like a converter box that cost 150! I called them too! But in my area I can't get WFAA(Dallas) or KOCO(OKC?)! The government has ****ed things up again!!
I have a really good antenna, but it doesn't pick up 100+ miles away! In Oklahoma you either get OKC, Tulsa, or Lawton's ABC. Not everyone can pick them up over the air, and satellite companies are bound by law to not offer neighboring market channels, you have to live in surrounding counties to qualify for that city's locals.

Scott D
7/30/2009, 12:04 PM
*shrug* local channels are part of my basic directv package. Then again, I live just outside of a large city.

Scott D
7/30/2009, 12:10 PM
and my apologies, I also forgot about the fact that the switch to digital also made the coverage areas for basic affiliates a bit smaller as well.

ouduckhunter
7/30/2009, 12:44 PM
I just paid our Directv bill that's due 8/2, and it said that next month's statement would include the 1st of 4 Gameplan installments. They are breaking the total down into 4 monthly charges of $28.99 this year. In previous years they've done 2 installments, but I guess in this lousy economy they are trying to make it easier for people to afford.

I don't think that there were any HD games last year, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. We live in Oregon so we are typically outside of the normal OU regional broadcast area so having Gameplan can definitely come in handy. We especially like having it when OU games are on at 9:00AM our time, and we're not in the mood to get dressed and roll out to a bar that early for the game.

Scott D
7/30/2009, 01:56 PM
I just paid our Directv bill that's due 8/2, and it said that next month's statement would include the 1st of 4 Gameplan installments. They are breaking the total down into 4 monthly charges of $28.99 this year. In previous years they've done 2 installments, but I guess in this lousy economy they are trying to make it easier for people to afford.

I don't think that there were any HD games last year, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. We live in Oregon so we are typically outside of the normal OU regional broadcast area so having Gameplan can definitely come in handy. We especially like having it when OU games are on at 9:00AM our time, and we're not in the mood to get dressed and roll out to a bar that early for the game.

That's nice to hear about the change in billing. I apparently still have to call them because my 10 year old receivers allegedly won't pick up gameplan anymore so they want to give me 'free' receivers after I schedule an appt. for my dish to be checked out :rolleyes:

SoonerPr8r
7/30/2009, 02:24 PM

You think they will have OU ring-tones with that package?:D

Sooner02
9/2/2009, 08:40 PM
For those interested and out of market for the UGA/OsU game. Here is the Gameplan coverage map:
http://assets.espn.go.com/gameplan/images/2009/blackout/292480197.jpg