PDA

View Full Version : State of California Recruiting! Norvell's Doing?

MojoRisen
6/29/2009, 10:48 AM
I noticed on the last Sooner Scoop, that there are 12 offers in the state of California all top end players. Is this new approach for us or is it because Norvell knows the area and highschools so well? I would guess he would if he was at UCLA recruiting for them.

What is the scoop on this, Roy Williams turned out pretty good. Pasha Jackson and the other number 10 names fails me I believe were from San Fran Community College.

I think I like going after that area, if we can have some success. A lot of people feel like all California kids want to do is hang out on the beach and chase womens. Certainly Oklahoma is known for grown the womens a little better than the rest of the country.

Harry Beanbag
6/29/2009, 11:51 AM
I noticed on the last Sooner Scoop, that there are 12 offers in the state of California all top end players. Is this new approach for us or is it because Norvell knows the area and highschools so well? I would guess he would if he was at UCLA recruiting for them.

What is the scoop on this, Roy Williams turned out pretty good. Pasha Jackson and the other number 10 names fails me I believe were from San Fran Community College.

I think I like going after that area, if we can have some success. A lot of people feel like all California kids want to do is hang out on the beach and chase womens. Certainly Oklahoma is known for grown the womens a little better than the rest of the country.

The problem is it's just as difficult, if not more, to get top shelf players out of California as it is the deep South. USC owns it right now like they never have before. Twelve offers might be a few more than usual, but Stoops has always tried some out there.

MojoRisen
6/29/2009, 11:58 AM
I respect that point of view, but something has to give when these schools are loaded with young recruits and the State keeps putting players out. I would suspect that the ones not recruited by say USC. CAL and UCLA are not OU - may also want to win a National Championship more than hitting the beach of Southern California. Lot's of them kind of want out of there I am starting to think.

I hope we see some real traction out of there, definitely risky to expend a ton of energy - when we have a lot of home grown talent from Dallas to Tulsa. Same goes for them though, if Texas and OU aren't offering then OSU, ARKANSAS, AUBURN, TENNESSEE and now Florida are working in our backyard. Maybe it is just retaliation against FLorida and USC :)

Harry Beanbag
6/29/2009, 12:27 PM
Out of last years Rivals California top 20 list, two players went outside the Pac-10, one to Notre Dame and one to Michigan. I wouldn't expect too much. Getting, and keeping, Brennan Clay would be huge.

MojoRisen
6/29/2009, 12:32 PM
Your probably right, do they have a top 100 or 150 given the size of the state? I would be interested in seeing those stats?

Figure 5 schools with legit chance at top 150 in the Pac 10 leaves another 50 hanging around looking at maybe the mountain west.

Eielson
6/29/2009, 04:22 PM

http://www.iconsportsmedia.com/image_dir/album34652/md_9500986_Bowling_Green_v_OU.JPG

Lance Mitchell!

MojoRisen
6/29/2009, 05:00 PM
That would be the man child...

soonerfan28
6/30/2009, 12:54 PM
Norvell coached at UCLA not that long ago, so I'm sure he still has connections to a lot of those HS's out there.

Harry Beanbag
6/30/2009, 02:51 PM
He was only there one year, I wouldn't want to overstate his connections.

King Crimson
7/9/2009, 02:27 PM
i also think Norvell was on the Raiders staff one year. maybe it was the 49'ers. that's what i remember because he took the job here for like 2 weeks and then went to the NFL. i think.

obviously he wasn't recruiting but would enhance his California profile.