PDA

View Full Version : Great read on AD's football camp in Norman

OU-HSV
6/27/2009, 05:54 PM
(I know there's another AD thread toward the top....but I thought this deserved it's own)

AD is awesome....we all know that and it's great to see a Sooner legend be such a solid role model

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20090627_92_B1_Minnes155115

Their guiding star: Peterson shares skills, shapes youth

By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
Published: 6/27/2009 2:19 AM
Last Modified: 6/27/2009 3:54 AM

NORMAN — Adrian Peterson had a football in one hand, a microphone in another and two eyes on a 12-year-old boy named Jared, who has been drafted to play the role of Ray Lewis in a demonstration of an inside running play.

"I know the defensive tackle is going to be pinned in. Hopefully it's not Shaun Rogers and he won't get penetration," Peterson announced to the 450 or so 7-to-14-year-olds seated around him. "The D-end is getting trapped..."

The 220-pound man, who gained 3,101 rushing yards over the past two NFL seasons, glared at the young boy.

"... And it's me and you one-on-one," Peterson said. "We've got to make a decision, and I'm not trying to lose. So be ready to explode through."

Jared was shaking his head and smiling, but had both excitement and fear as he mouthed, "Please don't kill me."

"My only way to the end zone is through you," Peterson said.

The play started. The tackle was pinned. The end was trapped. Jared filled the hole. Peterson met him and juked a little, but not enough that the boy couldn't grab ahold of the man to stop the play.

The kids cheered. The adults, parents and coaches standing nearby, cheered. But the happiest person of the lot was the Minnesota Vikings' all-pro, who high-fived the young Lewis and praised him for keeping his eyes on the ballcarrier.

Welcome to summer football camp, Adrian Peterson style.

Peterson hosts the three-day camp at the Oklahoma Intramural Fields that concludes Saturday, and he said the best part was, "just being out here interacting with the kids, and just reminiscing that once upon a time I used to be in these kids' shoes."

Maybe that's why, despite the 100-degree heat, Peterson didn't just lend his name and a token appearance to the event. He was there when the camp started, and announced, "I want you guys to come out here and learn some of the fundamentals from these coaches. Compete and really work hard to make yourself better today."

He was there when the campers broke into teams, walking from station to station. He bent, hands on knees, to talk a youngster into a three-point stance, tapping the boy's foot until it was squarely in place.

He stopped by the receivers' group and ran the first hitch route. He stopped in to see the tight ends and applauded when they came out of their stances, in unison, on the second "Hut!" and not the first. He dropped in on the linebackers, and offered his services as a ballcarrier as they learned side-to-side flow.

Then a coach blew his whistle, and 10 little linebackers shot forward to gang tackle the laughing NFL star.

"Their eyes are like big stars when they look at up him," said Nelson Peterson, Adrian's father and a camp contributor who has helped foster the attendance of kids from Peterson's hometown of Palestine, Texas.

"I see joy."

Like when Peterson joined a group for a huddle, and everyone was silent for a moment until a young boy couldn't help himself and paid tribute to Peterson's nickname by blurting out, "All day, baby!"

Or when Peterson greeted campers moving from station to station with high-fives or pats on the head, so that the station-to-station movement veered off course and coaches had to holler a few more times to get everyone in the right place.

"When I was their age, my uncle (tight end Chris Smith) played for the University of Texas," Peterson said. "I was able to go out and see guys like Ricky Williams, play with Ricky Williams and (Major) Applewhite and those guys. I knew how that experience was for me."

His desire is to make it a similarly eye-opening experience for his campers.

"He's always had a natural way with kids because he grew up in a big family," Nelson Peterson said. "And also I had an AAU basketball team that I used to sponsor and coach. So my house was always full of kids. He always had a passion for working with kids and being around kids like I did.

"He's always going to be around kids. It will keep that youth in him."

Indeed, Peterson has immersed himself in children's charities since signing his first Vikings contract. He donated money for a kids' Christmas shopping spree in Minneapolis last December. He has hosted Special Olympics and Boys & Girls Club events in the Twin Cities, even offering to prepare enchiladas for four guests at his home as part of an auction.

He has been recognized for work with the African American Adoption Agency and Make-A-Wish Foundation. His All Day Foundation has partnered with Feed The Children to distribute food and personal care items to families in Palestine.

Then there is the work Peterson has done the last two Junes on the OU Intramural Fields.

"This started a long time ago when I was younger. I always wanted to be in position to be able to give back to the community," he said. "Now that God has blessed me to be in this position it feels good that I'm able to reach out and to inspire the young kids."

badger
6/27/2009, 06:06 PM
SOMEbody tell me where I can get an "AD KNOWS" t-shirt, plzkthx
http://www.tulsaworld.com/articleimages/2009/20090627_peterson0627p2.jpg

JLEW1818
6/27/2009, 06:08 PM
where can u get 1 of those shirts

OU-HSV
6/27/2009, 06:09 PM
No kidding I'd love to have that tshirt. I'll google it.

badger
6/27/2009, 06:54 PM
I googled it also and found that Nike has done a ton of these "(insert name) KNOWS" shirts... and WHY is it not available to the public yet?

Sell, baby sell

yermom
6/27/2009, 07:24 PM
yeah, put me down for one too

OU-HSV
6/27/2009, 08:13 PM
I googled it also and found that Nike has done a ton of these "(insert name) KNOWS" shirts... and WHY is it not available to the public yet?

Sell, baby sell

I saw that too. Like "Pac Man Knows". And so on

soonerloyal
6/28/2009, 07:40 AM
Way to go, AD. You're a good guy, and you show it every day. We're proud you're Sooner Family - and obviously you are proud too!

Crimson Kid
6/28/2009, 07:54 AM
This is real sooner magic. love ya AD.

IBleedCrimson
6/28/2009, 01:13 PM
he came into brothers last wednesday and actually tipped. must have had a productive camp day