PDA

View Full Version : Help A Guy Out

huskermark07
6/26/2009, 08:51 PM
I want to cook either a Beef brisket or Pork ribs on the grill.

I have a Webber Natural gas grill that I can control the heat well.

What I need to know from you all is what dry rub you use, the temp you cook it at and for how long, this will be a Sunday project, I am going fishing tomarrow.:)

Thanks,
huskermark07

Crucifax Autumn
6/26/2009, 10:04 PM
Gas Grill? Pfftttt!

Wood is the way...

GottaHavePride
6/26/2009, 10:10 PM
The longer the time and lower the temp the better. Like 250 degrees for 8 hours or so. Or 225 for 12 hours... whatever.

You'll want some smoke, though. So even if it's a gas grill you need some wood chips - hickory or mesquite, something. Soak the chips overnight, put them in a disposable aluminum pie tin.

I'm no help on the rub. Buy some from Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous - best ever.

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2009, 10:12 PM
I want to cook either a Beef brisket or Pork ribs on the grill.

I have a Webber Natural gas grill that I can control the heat well.

What I need to know from you all is what dry rub you use, the temp you cook it at and for how long, this will be a Sunday project, I am going fishing tomarrow.:)

Thanks,
huskermark07

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131445

Note: I've never cooked ribs on a gas grill, however I can't imagine that being easy let alone tasting very good.

KC//CRIMSON
6/26/2009, 10:15 PM
The longer the time and lower the temp the better. Like 250 degrees for 8 hours or so. Or 225 for 12 hours... whatever.

You'll want some smoke, though. So even if it's a gas grill you need some wood chips - hickory or mesquite, something. Soak the chips overnight, put them in a disposable aluminum pie tin.

I'm no help on the rub. Buy some from Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous - best ever.

If he cooks those ribs on a direct heat gas grill for eight to twelve hours, there won't be anything left but ashes.

soonerinabilene
6/26/2009, 11:07 PM
If he cooks those ribs on a direct heat gas grill for eight to twelve hours, there won't be anything left but ashes.

Yeah, hes gonna have to turn one side on low, put the soaked wood chips on that side, and put the meat on the side that is not lit. And i have never had a brisket off a natural gas grill that tasted like bbq should taste.

GottaHavePride
6/26/2009, 11:36 PM

Hey, I never said to use direct heat... :)

But yeah, I mean ideally for BBQ you need a smoker, not a grill.

EDIT: I have way too many relatives that think grilling = BBQ. It doesn't. Of course, those same relatives refer to any small-ish beef steak as "filet mignon" even if it is not a filet and there's no bacon in sight.

picasso
6/26/2009, 11:39 PM
my neighbor has a smoker and I can grill chit that tastes 10 times better and is ready 10 times faster.

bitches.

tommieharris91
6/26/2009, 11:41 PM
my neighbor has a smoker and I can grill chit that tastes 10 times better and is ready 10 times faster.

bitches.

You neighbor is walking grilling fail.

huskermark07
6/27/2009, 03:55 AM

I can turn on one burner and leave the others off,indirect heat

Crucifax Autumn
6/27/2009, 05:42 AM
But can you make one smoke with hickory?

1-2 hours per pound, 200-250 degrees, off the main heat, lots of smoke preferably from real wood, with all side veggies also smoked.

That's for brisket...ribs are more delicate, but similar.

King Crimson
6/27/2009, 06:56 AM
EDIT: I have way too many relatives that think grilling = BBQ. .

the vast majority of people on God's Green Earth think grilling=BBQ.

or even "cooking outside"=BBQ.

tigepilot
6/27/2009, 08:12 AM
the vast majority of people on God's Green Earth think grilling=BBQ.

or even "cooking outside"=BBQ.

Absolutely and it's really annoying. We grill outside most days in the summer but usually use our gas grill. However, somethings just aren't right on a gas grill. Short ribs and brisket would fit that later category and for those items we have a smoker. If you don't have a smoker I think you'd be better off putting them in a roasting pan with BBQ sauce and a small dose of liquid smoke, covering it with foil and putting it in the oven... low and slow. Haven't done THAT myself but I think it would taste pretty good.

KC//CRIMSON
6/27/2009, 12:18 PM
I can turn on one burner and leave the others off,indirect heat

You could do that, but I think you're going to be disappointed. IMHO.

huskermark07
6/27/2009, 02:06 PM
You could do that, but I think you're going to be disappointed. IMHO.

Well if I use enough wood chips starting out I think I will be OK, I have them soaking now

CrimsonJim
6/27/2009, 02:24 PM
Let us know how it turns out. Who knows, we may all learn something.

huskermark07
6/27/2009, 03:04 PM
One last question, do you all inject seasoning into the meat?

Jello Biafra
6/27/2009, 03:18 PM

heheh heheh ....

soonerboomer93
6/27/2009, 05:58 PM

personally, i tend to use my meat to do the seasoning injection

but whatever floats your boat

huskermark07
7/3/2009, 08:42 PM
Well I went and cooked the brisket today, stated the grill at 4A.M. and got the wood chips smoking and kept the temp at 200, put the brisket on at 5 and took it off at 5 P.M. it worked out pretty good:)

I know it is not as good as it would have been in a smoker, but you work with what you have

I made a rub from:
Pepper
Chili Powder
Paprika
Salt
Cayenne Pepper
Brown Sugar