PDA

View Full Version : So, the largest tax increase in US history gets voted on today...

OklahomaTuba
6/26/2009, 01:37 PM
Anyone think this really will pass? Dear Lord I hope not. Already got one refinery talking about shutting down.

Not since a misguided piece of legislation imposed tariffs that turned a recession into a depression has there been a piece of legislation as bad as Waxman-Markey.

The 1,000-plus-page American Clean Energy and Security Act (H.R. 2454) is being rushed to a vote by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi before anyone can seriously object to this economic suicide pact.

It's what Janet Napolitano, secretary of Homeland Security, might call a "man-caused disaster," a phrase she coined to replace the politically incorrect "terrorist attack." But no terrorist could ever dream of inflicting as much damage as this bill.

Its centerpiece is a "cap and trade" provision that has been rightfully derided as "cap and tax." It is in fact a tax on energy everywhere it is consumed on everything it is used to make or provide.

It is the largest tax increase in American history — a tax on all Americans — even the 95% that President Obama pledged would never see a tax increase.

http://ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticles.aspx?id=330822830678035

sooner_born_1960
6/26/2009, 01:39 PM
Surt it will. Shuttering our current industries creates jobs, or something.

captain_surly
6/26/2009, 04:29 PM
I hear from a Capitol Hill insider that they have enough votes to pass it in the House but the Senate won't even consider it this term.

I don't care what your position on climate change is, our economy can't stand this legislation right now.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/26/2009, 07:26 PM
Made it through the House.

oumartin
6/26/2009, 07:38 PM
leave it to the dems to take any progress and throw it back a few decades

OU_Sooners75
6/26/2009, 07:52 PM
I feel dirty for being registered as a democrat!

This is utterly embarassing for any party.

Lets hope the Senate has some sense of mind to vote it down!

OU_Sooners75
6/26/2009, 07:53 PM
And I wish the House would elect a new speaker! Nancy Pelosi is a joke and needs to be taken to the woodshed and beat to death!

OU_Sooners75
6/26/2009, 07:54 PM
leave it to the dems to take any progress and throw it back a few decades

Questions....

Did every Democrat vote for it...and did every republican/Independent vote against it?

honest set of questions.

6/26/2009, 08:09 PM
Questions....

Did every Democrat vote for it...and did every republican/Independent vote against it?

honest set of questions.Haven't heard about the dems, but 8 repubs voted yes, and 2 didn't vote, I think.

6/26/2009, 08:10 PM
I feel dirty for being registered as a democrat!

You might want to stay there, to protect your backside.

OU_Sooners75
6/26/2009, 08:12 PM
Haven't heard about the dems, but 8 repubs voted yes or didn't vote, I think.

Thanks.

If what you say is true...that means martin was a little off in his statement, right? :P

OU_Sooners75
6/26/2009, 08:13 PM
You might want to stay there, to protect your backside.

LOL.

Yeah, I can see how I will need that protection.

If it gets that bad, I will just stand with my back against the wall.

6/26/2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks.

If what you say is true...that means martin was a little off in his statement, right? :PYes, he should have added 10 republicans to his statement.

oumartin
6/26/2009, 08:35 PM
You could have stopped after saying "martin is a little off"

Sooner98
6/26/2009, 08:58 PM
I, for one, welcome our new doubled-in-size utility bills. Anything for Mother Earth! :)

OU_Sooners75
6/26/2009, 09:43 PM
You could have stopped after saying "martin is a little off"

lol

How you doing tonight martin?

oumartin
6/26/2009, 09:45 PM
fine, stuck at work. I've got a couple good hours in me until I get pissy

SCOUT
6/26/2009, 11:59 PM
There is nothing like a drastic solution for a potential problem. It is amazing how politicians are so willing to do something. It doesn't matter if it is the right decision, just as long as they are doing something.

Sadly this is just another example in a long line of examples.

stoopified
6/27/2009, 08:44 PM
Mmm maybe Obama is NOT omnipotent?