PDA

View Full Version : Kent Bradford on player insurance policies.

adoniijahsooner
6/25/2009, 11:34 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/andy_staples/06/23/insurance-policies1/index.html?eref=T1

The article begins talking about Tebow taking out an insurance policy to protect his mythical pro career; but ends with Bradford giving advice, because he is in the business and has knowledge of the issues players face when they draw up a policy. He declines to disclose if Sam has one or not.

goingoneight
6/25/2009, 01:55 PM
Tebow might want insurance for all the beating he'll be taking as a fullback.

badger
6/25/2009, 03:37 PM
I agree with Sammie's daddy that it would be difficult to define a "career ending injury" with modern medicine and that it will take careful lawyerage to get a payment should a player get injured enough to qualify.

It will happen eventually that a player with one of these insurance deals will have a major injury since so many are taking them out now. When it does, it will be interesting to see whether or not they get their payday.

AlbqSooner
6/25/2009, 07:30 PM
"Juanita Sheely, the NCAA's assistant director for travel and insurance, said a $5 million policy through the NCAA's Exceptional Student-Athlete Disability Insurance Program would cost between $25,000 and $28,000. "It's a benefit for the student-athlete," Sheely said, explaining the lower premium. "It's not a profit center for the NCAA."

How is this not a benefit for a student-athlete that is not available to the student body at large? If so, how is it not an NCAA violation to take advantage of it? If I rent my condo to an NCAA athlete for around half what it would otherwise cost, and ONLY rent it to athletes, THAT is a violation.

sooner518
6/25/2009, 09:15 PM
Did Willis McGahee get a payout, or does it have to be completely "career-ending"? What kinds of injuries happen these days that actually are "career-ending" other than some kind of broken neck?

the company I used to work for sells management software to independent insurance agencies. Kent Bradford and Steve Owens agencies were among our customers. Barry Sanders' dad is an insurance agent, but much to the chagrin of my old boss, (who is a diehard OSU Cowboy), he never bought from us.

Oldnslo
6/26/2009, 09:42 AM
I agree with Sammie's daddy that it would be difficult to define a "career ending injury" with modern medicine and that it will take careful lawyerage to get a payment should a player get injured enough to qualify.

It will happen eventually that a player with one of these insurance deals will have a major injury since so many are taking them out now. When it does, it will be interesting to see whether or not they get their payday.

Careful lawyer, here.

I've handled insurance bad faith cases on both sides. While I haven't seen one of these policies, I'd sure be curious how "career ending injury" is defined, if at all, in the insurance contract. There's also something called "reasonable expectations", but that's in the advanced class.

If Sam were my kid, he'd be insured.

RedstickSooner
6/26/2009, 05:44 PM

The article said it has happened 12 times so far.

Truly fascinating piece, on an aspect to the game I'd been curious about, and known very little.