PDA

View Full Version : USA VS. SPAIN

birddog
6/24/2009, 01:29 PM
well, spain is ranked number 1 in the world and hasn't lost in 37 matches.

kickoff in 5 minutes.

for 99.9% of the people who dont care i will fill you in anyway. the us needed to beat egypt by 3 goals and they needed brazil to beat italy by 3 goals to advance to the semis.

the near impossible happened and now our reward is coming today. this will go along way in helping us put together a solid 11 for the world cup.

Scott D
6/24/2009, 01:44 PM
*sigh* Landycakes on the wing....Adu on the bench again.

Scott D
6/24/2009, 01:57 PM
goal...Jose Altidore... USA 1 Spain 0

birddog
6/24/2009, 02:27 PM
there's the .01 i was talking bout.

holy crap. 1-0 usa. probably end up 4-1 spain but i still think we look good.

Scott D
6/24/2009, 03:01 PM
now it's holy crap... USA 2-0

Collier11
6/24/2009, 03:02 PM
#1 team in the world going down fellas, lets keep it up

Boomer.....
6/24/2009, 03:04 PM
Git r done!

Scott D
6/24/2009, 03:15 PM
ouch to the Bradley red card. Dempsey out for Bornstein in a purely defensive move.

Scott D
6/24/2009, 03:21 PM
Huge upset win. 35 match unbeaten streak for Spain is gonzo.

JohnnyMack
6/24/2009, 03:26 PM
Wow. Just wow.

Pricetag
6/24/2009, 03:32 PM
We own the Iberian Peninsula.

silverwheels
6/24/2009, 03:55 PM
Fantastic defensive performance by the boys today. Spain came out flat, we jumped on them early and put on some pressure, and they didn't get into their groove right away, which threw them off. El Nino played one of the worst games I've seen him play for either Spain or Liverpool. Xavi was not his usual self, either.

GrapevineSooner
6/24/2009, 04:10 PM
Not to be a negative Nancy...

But the play of the mid-fielders nearly pissed this away.

If not for a stout defense and an even more stout performance by Tim Howard (congrats on getting your 1st Confed Cup win, BTW, even if you're an Evertonian) this upset would not have been possible.

As for El Nino, it did seem like he was waiting for something to happen. Waiting for his teammates to set him up with a magnificent chance that never came.

And as for the straight red to Michael Bradely...

Uhh, no, ref. That was maybe a yellow at most. Too bad he'll miss the Final.

Scott D
6/24/2009, 04:29 PM
Not to be a negative Nancy...

But the play of the mid-fielders nearly pissed this away.

If not for a stout defense and an even more stout performance by Tim Howard (congrats on getting your 1st Confed Cup win, BTW, even if you're an Evertonian) this upset would not have been possible.

As for El Nino, it did seem like he was waiting for something to happen. Waiting for his teammates to set him up with a magnificent chance that never came.

And as for the straight red to Michael Bradely...

Uhh, no, ref. That was maybe a yellow at most. Too bad he'll miss the Final.

well to be fair to Torres, anytime the ball got anywhere near David Villa it didn't go anywhere but towards a shot on goal. His selfishness made Onyewu's defense look real good today, sounds like it's a certainty that Gooch will get a second shot at proving he can be an effective defender in England soon.

I have to agree with my friend bill that Bradley will replace him son with Feilhaber rather than Freddy Adu who will likely not see any action.

silverwheels
6/24/2009, 04:35 PM
I think Gooch is headed to Fenerbahçe, actually.

Scott D
6/24/2009, 04:40 PM
yeah report is he agreed to a 3 year deal with them. Before that it sounded like he was very very likely to sign with Birmingham.

birddog
6/24/2009, 06:49 PM
well to be fair to Torres, anytime the ball got anywhere near David Villa it didn't go anywhere but towards a shot on goal. His selfishness made Onyewu's defense look real good today, sounds like it's a certainty that Gooch will get a second shot at proving he can be an effective defender in England soon.

I have to agree with my friend bill that Bradley will replace him son with Feilhaber rather than Freddy Adu who will likely not see any action.

feilhaber will definitely play for bradley. adu is still too green to put in this type situation. we might see beasley on the left this time (i hope) to pressure the brazilian backs.

bradley is wise beyond his years and should be our captain for a decade.

hopefully we come ready to play brazil this time. beating spain shouldn't damage our confidence.

JLEW1818
6/24/2009, 07:06 PM
guess what bitches??? i just took USA +1000 for 50 bucks...

can you tell me how much i won??

$500 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USA

JLEW1818
6/24/2009, 07:07 PM
Oguchi Onyewu is my boy by the way... nobody claim him

Scott D
6/24/2009, 07:39 PM
feilhaber will definitely play for bradley. adu is still too green to put in this type situation. we might see beasley on the left this time (i hope) to pressure the brazilian backs.

bradley is wise beyond his years and should be our captain for a decade.

hopefully we come ready to play brazil this time. beating spain shouldn't damage our confidence.

I think we'll see the same lineup minus bradley that we saw today.

JLEW1818
6/24/2009, 07:49 PM
kinda of a bull **** red card.... the soccer world always has to rip the usa off somehow... JMO

If I'm not mistaken we play Sunday 1:30 Sooner time, ESPN 2

JLEW1818
6/24/2009, 07:51 PM
oh and by the way, if your bitching how usa played today.... go ahead and get the hell out of the USA... or please don't watch another game..... or go cry to your mirror

Americans will never be satisfied... makes me ****ing sick.

Soonerus
6/24/2009, 08:35 PM
Bravo...USA !!!!

Curly Bill
6/24/2009, 11:06 PM
oh and by the way, if your bitching how usa played today.... go ahead and get the hell out of the USA... or please don't watch another game..... or go cry to your mirror

I don't even like soccer, do I have to leave the country or something?

JLEW1818
6/25/2009, 08:41 AM
I don't even like soccer, do I have to leave the country or something?

yah but your not a bitcher

Collier11
6/25/2009, 08:49 AM

:rolleyes:

JLEW1818
6/25/2009, 12:21 PM
lol i was already drunk .... since we won

JLEW1818
6/25/2009, 03:29 PM
CORRECTION GAME IS NOW MOVED TO ESPN!!!! NOT ESPN 2..

birddog
6/28/2009, 03:32 PM
us blows 2-0 halftime lead to lose 3-2 to brazil in finals. heartbreaking lossbut huge strides for the us team.

JLEW1818
6/28/2009, 04:08 PM
yep... I'm very proud of our guys..... should have been 4-2... we caught a huge break.

KC//CRIMSON
6/28/2009, 06:24 PM
us blows 2-0 halftime lead to lose 3-2 to brazil in finals.

That's what happens when the ball is on your half of the field 90% of the game. Our offensive scheme sucks out loud. Our guys couldn't make four consecutive passes if their lives depended on it. Ugh.

Collier11
6/28/2009, 09:22 PM
whats sad is this run saved Bradleys job likely but I dont know if he is going to be the answer so much

JLEW1818
6/28/2009, 10:02 PM
i think we gained a lot of confidence

GottaHavePride
6/28/2009, 10:48 PM
Tell you what though - Howard is a heck of a keeper. The loss is not on him. He had about six BIG saves. If we had that many good shots at Brazil's goalie we would have won 8-4.

SoonerDood
6/29/2009, 12:41 AM
Did Kelvin Sampson coach the second half? Haven't seen a team sit on a lead and blow it since the last time he was here.

JLEW1818
6/29/2009, 12:48 AM
:eek:

Eielson
6/29/2009, 05:54 AM
Anybody else have trouble watching that game because the crowd sounded like mosquitoes on the TV?

Pricetag
6/29/2009, 09:43 AM
Did Kelvin Sampson coach the second half? Haven't seen a team sit on a lead and blow it since the last time he was here.
I wouldn't say that we blew anything. There are a handful of teams in the world that can face a 2-0 deficit at half and just continue what they're doing with confidence, and Brazil is one of them. The broadcasters put up the number of shots while we were still in the lead, and it was like 20 for Brazil and 5 for us. It was going to bite us eventually.

I'm not glad we lost this game, but I am glad that we did not get a tainted 2-1 win after the one ball that went into the goal before being knocked out by Howard.

Collier11
6/29/2009, 09:51 AM
I'm not glad we lost this game, but I am glad that we did not get a tainted 2-1 win after the one ball that went into the goal before being knocked out by Howard.

Wouldnt have been tainted any moreso than the Quarterfinal WC loss when Germany had the obvious handball that wasnt called in the goal

JLEW1818
6/29/2009, 09:55 AM
Anybody else have trouble watching that game because the crowd sounded like mosquitoes on the TV?

those blow horns are annoying... but i guess its part of soccer.

GottaHavePride
6/29/2009, 03:27 PM
I liked them - those South Africans are some crazy fans. World Cup next year should be fun to watch.

birddog
7/21/2009, 06:31 PM
holden could become a real player in the world cup. he's looked great so far in the gold cup.

the US plays honduras in the semis. i'm road trippin it to soldier field. can't wait to see the "b" squad take it to em.

birddog
7/25/2009, 03:14 PM
back from chi-town. the us will play mexico in the final tomorrow. first off, chicago is one of the best cities i've ever seen. soldier field is surrounded by huge, spankin new buildings and sits next to one of the Great Lakes(don't ask me which one).

the mexicans were playing in the other semifinal after we won. on our walk to soldier we walked thru a parking lot of mexican tailgaters. they had smokers, grill, tv's, pretty much everything you'd see at an OU tailgate.

Great time there. our "B" has some players like, holden, goodsen, and cooper that can really help us next year in the world cup.

Go You Red, White, 'n, Blue!!! beating mexico feels as good to me as beating texas.

silverwheels
7/25/2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah I hate Mexico as far as soccer goes. Hate the lot of 'em.

Scott D
7/25/2009, 11:03 PM
lake michigan.

birddog
7/26/2009, 04:58 PM
nothing.

to.

say....

silverwheels
7/26/2009, 05:49 PM
It may have been our C squad vs. their B+ squad, but 0-5 in New Jersey to Mexico of all teams is embarrassing. Anything less than a win at Azteca next month will be unacceptable. Not only do we need to erase this game but beating them at their ****hole would also put their World Cup hopes in serious doubt.

KC//CRIMSON
7/26/2009, 05:54 PM
back from chi-town. the us will play mexico in the final tomorrow. first off, chicago is one of the best cities i've ever seen. soldier field is surrounded by huge, spankin new buildings and sits next to one of the Great Lakes(don't ask me which one).

the mexicans were playing in the other semifinal after we won. on our walk to soldier we walked thru a parking lot of mexican tailgaters. they had smokers, grill, tv's, pretty much everything you'd see at an OU tailgate.

Great time there. our "B" has some players like, holden, goodsen, and cooper that can really help us next year in the world cup.

Go You Red, White, 'n, Blue!!! beating mexico feels as good to me as beating *Texas*.

Chi-Town is the bomb. Word.

tommieharris91
7/26/2009, 10:42 PM
Damn messicans. :mad: