PDA

View Full Version : $5 million for Stoops

badger
6/24/2009, 12:44 PM
Holy. Cow. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=297&articleid=20090624_297_0_ARDMOR2277)

EDIT: It's actually $4.875 mil... something tells me there will be something, somewhere to give him another $25k to make it the $5 mil, though

EDIT2: Durrrr... $125k, heh

Seamus
6/24/2009, 12:52 PM
Not bad for a gritty DB from Youngstown.

Boomer.....
6/24/2009, 12:55 PM
That's almost Saban money.

;)

Boomer Mooner
6/24/2009, 12:56 PM
I'll pitch in 5 bucks.

Sooner04
6/24/2009, 12:57 PM
Win a bowl game, Bobby!

badger
6/24/2009, 01:09 PM
Win a bowl game, Bobby!

This.

I am almost to the point where I'd rather win a bowl trophy than a Big 12 trophy. Why we can win in December and not January is beyond me :(

2001 Orange
2002 Cotton
2003 Rose
2005 Holiday

He needs one more bowl win so that he makes $1 mil per bowl win with OU. :(

Jack T.
6/24/2009, 01:19 PM
As fantastically annoyed as I am with our bowl play, I still say we should pay the guy whatever it takes to keep him here!

badger
6/24/2009, 02:27 PM
So that begs the question... does it take $5 mil to keep Bob here?

Octavian
6/24/2009, 02:36 PM
As fantastically annoyed as I am with our bowl play, I still say we should pay the guy whatever it takes to keep him here!

this.

walkoffsooner
6/24/2009, 02:47 PM
I wonder how much the football program brought in?

OUAlumni1990
6/24/2009, 02:51 PM
If I just made the interest each year off of 5 mil I'd have more money than I knew what to do with.

Boomer38Sooner
6/24/2009, 03:16 PM
Do you think he'll be on the hot seat if he loses another bowl game?

Boomer.....
6/24/2009, 03:21 PM
Not in the hot seat but people will lose even more confidence in him.

yermom
6/24/2009, 03:29 PM
unless it's the Insight or Independence Bowl, i think he's pretty safe

badger
6/24/2009, 03:29 PM
Do you think he'll be on the hot seat if he loses another bowl game?

The odds of winning a bowl game (once you make it to one, of course) are 50 percent, because OU will either win or not win.

:D I know that logic is flawed, but it keeps my spirits high when thinking back to how many we've lost lately, because dag nabbit, we have as good of a chance as ever of winning the next one!

ouwapiti
6/24/2009, 03:30 PM
how much do you think the take is, at a home game....ticket sales only......if ave. ticket price is $75 (low guess probably) times 85k....equals 6.3m......i'm guessing concessions and other ancillary things are probably about the same????.....that would be a 13m saturday!!!!!!!!!

Octavian
6/24/2009, 03:32 PM
Stoops is averaging 2 National Championship Game appearances, 3 Big XII titles, and a Heisman winner...every 5 years

If that line holds and he stays in Norman for another decade....in all we'll have played in 8 National Championship Games, had 4 Heisman winners, and 12 conference championships.

If we fire him....we'd deserve A&M's fate

and....we'd get it

Octavian
6/24/2009, 03:36 PM
Stoops is worth every penny.

And considering the OU football program's economic influence on the city of Norman, the university, and the broader state economy.....he's probably underpaid

badger
6/24/2009, 03:38 PM

Agree!

and....we'd get it
Disagree.

Curly Bill
6/24/2009, 03:44 PM

and....we'd get it

You're saying we couldn't attract another quality coach? I don't think you meant that, but that's what you're basically saying.

Octavian
6/24/2009, 03:46 PM
Disagree.

Possibly you're right....but what coach would want to come to OU after we ran off Bob Stoops?

In coaching circles, our fanbase's MO would be shot to hell for a decade.

And by the way -- regardless of who comes next, we're gonna tar and feather that poor guy. It won't take his second career loss before no one will be able to remember anything Stoops ever did wrong. All losses and slips-up (save TGOWWDNS) will be squarely on the shoulders of former players -- and even then Mark Bradley's name will be mentioned.

The next coach will suffer from the Gibbs/Solich syndrome and there's no stopping that -- and it doesn't take long to descend from the mountain top to the bottom of Hell. We know that well -- and Nebraska is just now starting to crawl off the canvas.

What Stoops has accomplished in this era is nothing short of incredible. We'd be the biggest fools in sports not to scratch and claw to keep him.

Octavian
6/24/2009, 03:48 PM
You're saying we couldn't attract another quality coach? I don't think you meant that, but that's what you're basically saying.

I'm saying you don't replace legends with legends. Osborne is the only one off the top of my head that has replaced a legend and eventually taken his program back to the top of the mountain.

And it took him over 20 years to do it.

In this era, Nebraska would have fired Dr. Tom after the 5th straight loss to King Barry. They almost did anyway -- and that was in the late 70s.

starclassic tama
6/24/2009, 03:50 PM
lets just not fire bob stoops and avoid this ridiculous discussion.

Curly Bill
6/24/2009, 03:50 PM
Stoops or no Stoops we'll be fine. I don't think we'd repeat the mistakes of the Gibbs, Smelly, Blake past.

Then again we might hire Venables to replace Bob and you'd be proven right. ;)

Octavian
6/24/2009, 03:51 PM
lets just not fire bob stoops and avoid this ridiculous discussion.

winner :)

badger
6/24/2009, 03:55 PM

Perhaps we misinterpreted this. It seems we both think that he meant "A&M fate" meant we'd lose a lot of games and not go bowling. However, perhaps the A&M fate we'd get is something more along the lines of this (http://i44.tinypic.com/2crpusl.jpg).

Octavian
6/24/2009, 03:56 PM
Stoops or no Stoops we'll be fine.

in the long-run, you're of course right.

but its not just at OU where this is the case. After a legend departs, there seems to be at least a natural decade-long lull....if not more.

Miami is a huge exception...but they're a special case. LSU was the luckiest program in modern history to win a NC with 2 losses -- that was a fluke.

USC went from '79 to '04 w/out an AP title. It took the program in Austin from the time we landed on the moon until after the invasion of Iraq to win another one. It took Ohio St. 40 years. It took Michigan even longer than that.

It's just not easy. And we're more accustomed to winning NCs than just about everyone else. We think it will just come naturally. But when you get a proven winner -- you fight like hell to keep him....because there's a good chance he'll get you back eventually and win again.

But in the short term -- we'd be miserable....even with consistent 9-4/10-3 seasons.

Curly Bill
6/24/2009, 04:01 PM
Perhaps we misinterpreted this. It seems we both think that he meant "A&M fate" meant we'd lose a lot of games and not go bowling. However, perhaps the A&M fate we'd get is something more along the lines of this (http://i44.tinypic.com/2crpusl.jpg).

:D

A-M
6/24/2009, 04:01 PM
According to his last year contract that I read on here, if he had won every game, he would have made $6 mil. Last year he got a extra money for being there 10 years. He gets money for playing in specific games (Big 12 CCG and MNC) and then more money if OU wins that game. He even gets extra money if OU beats Texas. There is some website you can go to and read the contracts of college football coaches that are not private schools, but I do not know what it is.

MyT Oklahoma
6/24/2009, 06:55 PM
this.

Duly seconded.

I too would have loved to have won more bowl games this decade but I'm not complaining about it. I remember OU's "Decade of the '90's" way too well.

I'll take what we've accomplished this decade any day compared to what any other college football program has accomplished. Because irregardless of what anybody else has done, I am first and last a Sooner and proud of it.

Seamus
6/24/2009, 09:34 PM
No way in saxet do I want Stoops to leave -- by his choice or not.

But when the time comes, this is the man I want to replace him:

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/Coach/PHOTO/JOSH-HEUPEL.JPG

GottaHavePride
6/24/2009, 10:31 PM
how much do you think the take is, at a home game....ticket sales only......if ave. ticket price is $75 (low guess probably) times 85k....equals 6.3m......i'm guessing concessions and other ancillary things are probably about the same????.....that would be a 13m saturday!!!!!!!!!

No way in hell does every single person in the stadium buy $75 worth of concessions at every home game. Not even close. A better guess would be an average of $10 per person for concessions. And concessions aren't pure profit - of the $10, probably $7.50 is profit.

Stooper
6/24/2009, 10:59 PM
I would not trade Bob Stoops for any coach in the country. Consistency is what makes a great coach and program. We have been in the hunt for a national championship every year that Bob has been here at the end of the season, with the exception of 1999 and 2005

olevetonahill
6/24/2009, 11:18 PM
Hes worth every dayum penny of it
Id Rather Play fer the Big Pot and lose than to be in a penny ante game

itsok
6/24/2009, 11:56 PM
good deal...if you have any doubts, remember1996-1998....

sitzpinkler
6/25/2009, 01:41 AM

Damn straight. I think this is our next head coach in waiting. And he'll win us a MNC or two in his day, methinks.

Vaevictis
6/25/2009, 02:20 AM

FWIW, I don't think we couldn't, but I think it would be really tough in the near term.

Consider the message if you fire someone with Bob Stoop's record. He's done everything except win a National Championship in the last 8 years. As a prospective employee, consider just how tall an order that really is, and what you think your prospects for job security are in such a position.

A top quality coach is going to have other options, and if you were in their shoes, all other things being equal*, would you take a job with such tight margin for error over one that's a little more forgiving? I wouldn't.

(* All other things being equal is the key here. Obviously, OU can possibly tilt the scales with more money, better benefits, stepping stone to NFL, etc. But it would be harder.)

Octavian
6/25/2009, 02:36 AM
Here's a couple of pretty good articles on this topic...SIA if already been posted elsewhere.

Stoops' new package would pay him more than $30 million through the end of 2015 at CNNSI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/06/24/oklahoma-stoops.ap/index.html)

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables' salary was boosted by $50,000 to $395,000 and offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson got a $100,000 raise to $385,000. Former Sooner quarterback and current quarterback Josh Heupel earned a bump to $200,000. and also mentions the new deal for Capel at ESPN (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/ncfnation/0-9-127/Stoops--new-deal-should-keep-him-at-OU-for-a-few-more-years.html)

Also....ESPN is reporting that during this recession year, OU's Athletic Dept. is Giving $3M to OU Academics (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=4284416) to offset layoffs and tuition hikes.

Just another expert move by Joe C. and crew.

MrJimBeam
6/25/2009, 05:56 AM

Better hope Stoops doesn't leave for Dallas next year cause this guy ain't ready.

Jacie
6/25/2009, 06:24 AM
Curly Bill: Stoops or no Stoops we'll be fine.

Please go back and read or reread a series of posts that start with the words "history of . . .", particularly the ones from the years 1986-89.

DMAFB_Sooner08
6/25/2009, 09:02 AM
This argument is ridiculous...this is why I hate the offseason

flopshotjoe99
6/25/2009, 11:31 AM
Better hope Stoops doesn't leave for Dallas next year cause this guy ain't ready.

Jerry wouldn't pay him half of what he makes now, Stoops isn't going anywhere in my opinion.

47straight
6/25/2009, 01:40 PM

I just think it's really, really, really hard to get the right coach for the situation. Sure we could attract lots of coaches with good potential and a fine pedigree. There's a lot of luck involved in getting to work out just right.

Which reminds me I need to send flowers to Castiglione. (horsepigs aside)

goingoneight
6/25/2009, 02:20 PM
Stoops has been outstanding. Will continue to be so.

I emailer the agroids at the Animal once before when they went on a tear about CFB coaches making too much money.
I told them that while yes, they get paid a lot... it's also a VERY difficult job. It's not like Stoops won the lottery. His product is a very good, very consistent football program that brings a shat ton of money into the school and state. If he was some kind of lazy thief or embezzler, you might take issue with him making the money he makes. No one ever so much as sneezes when a guy like Dunce Young makes millions to warm a bench and whine to the media all the time, do they?
I've heard from several players and assistants over the years that Stoops is a very hard worker in his position. I don't doubt it knowing all that we hear goes into his job. My $.02 is if OUr athletic department grossed 46 mill or something like that... and he's making 4.85... we got a damn good deal.

Dio
6/25/2009, 04:13 PM
Damn straight. I think (Heupel) is our next head coach in waiting. And he'll win us another MNC or two in his day, methinks.

Fixed