PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Pasha Jackson?

soonerfan28
6/22/2009, 12:26 PM
Don't know if it has a ring to it, but it's nice to see another former Sooner doing something outside of sports.

http://www.newsok.com/ex-sooner-pasha-jackson-finds-his-calling-in-cuba/article/3379660?custom_click=lead_story_title

Curly Bill
6/22/2009, 12:30 PM
Cool story. Thanks for posting.

yermom
6/22/2009, 12:37 PM
negative Fulmer points are always nice :D

Boomer.....
6/22/2009, 12:47 PM
Very cool!

rainiersooner
6/22/2009, 01:56 PM
Nicely played!

OUDoc
6/22/2009, 02:15 PM
Latin American School of Medicine in Havana, Cuba.
:confused: Why would you go there, Pasha? If you wanted to go to a Spanish-only school, go to the University of Miami.

yermom
6/22/2009, 02:18 PM
would they have given him a full ride?

TheHumanAlphabet
6/22/2009, 02:19 PM
Question for the med docs on the board...

Would Pasha be admitted as a Dr. in this country even if he passes the boards - can he take them? Is this school certified? I understand there are some issues with Carribean med schools (and other off shore med schools).

yermom
6/22/2009, 02:22 PM
in the article it said that school was recognized by the US and he was planning on working in the Southwest on reservations

sooner_born_1960
6/22/2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah, that was pretty well answered in the article.

AlbqSooner
6/22/2009, 07:25 PM
Is this school certified? I understand there are some issues with Carribean med schools (and other off shore med schools).

The article says the school is fully accredited in the U.S. which I find a bit surprising. But maybe so.

Many U.S. students who had a lot of fun early in college and despite hard work later were unable to get the GPA up enough to get into med school go to places like the Domincan Republic or Guadalajara to medical school. Admissions are easier and tuition is less. With some offshore schools there are issues that will result in the graduate having to do an extra year of internship in the U.S. with close monitoring. Upon successful completion of that, they are licensed in the U.S. A classmate of mine went to Guadalajara and has had a practice in Brooklyn for several years now.

TXBOOMER
6/22/2009, 08:07 PM
A classmate of mine went to Guadalajara and has had a practice in Brooklyn for several years now.

I know a doc that has a family practice here in the US. He went to U of Guad Med School. He didn't speak spanish when he got there. That still boggles my mind.

JiuJitsuSooner
6/22/2009, 09:06 PM
I have a friend here in Florida that is a Doctor now.. After completing her undergrad at Boston College, she decided to go to med school.. She also wanted to move to a tropical island, so she looked around and applied to go to med school in either Grenada or St. Lucia (can't remember which) that was accredited in the U.S.

Anyway when she finished, she was accepted to Duke to complete for Residency for the next 3 years, so yes there are some very good medical schools abroad.. And Duke is one of if not the Top University in the Country to do your residency.

Sooner_Bob
6/23/2009, 07:40 AM
in the article it said that school was recognized by the US and he was planning on working in the Southwest on reservations

The Indian Health Service needs qualified doctors from an school . . . dentists, nurses, etc. too.

Especially nurses.

OUDoc
6/23/2009, 08:25 AM
Most of the time, those schools are more eager to accept students. Even if they are accredited, many graduates have a hard time finding a residency program willing to accept doctors from those schools. (I guess I should put it this way, unless they were exceptional students, foreign medical graduates can't be too choosy about where their residency program is located nor what their specialty will be. They often fill spots that didn't otherwise get filled.)

TheHumanAlphabet
6/23/2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks.

I read the article, but it being the Joklahoman and the MSM, I sometime question the veracity of the information. Typically, those in the field would be able to state actuality. That being said - I wish Pasha great success in completing his goal and dream.

SoonerStormchaser
6/23/2009, 12:44 PM
:confused: Why would you go there, Pasha? If you wanted to go to a Spanish-only school, go to the University of Miami.

Or USC.

sooneron
6/23/2009, 09:44 PM
"I've never had any Cuban *****" Pee Wee

sooner59
6/23/2009, 11:40 PM
As a fellow aspiring doctor, I wish him the best. It is a long and difficult road to a career filled with stress and possible lawsuits. However, if you strive to achieve it for the right reasons, then it will be a truly rewarding life.

SoCal
4/10/2011, 08:12 AM
Anyone have an update of Jackson's progress?

BigJerm7
4/10/2011, 09:34 AM
All classes taught in spanish? wow.

Beachsooner
4/10/2011, 09:43 AM
I went to Cuba several years ago. One of the few really great things about Cuba is their medical training. They export doctors all over Latin America. They lack medicine due to embargo restrictions but they do have excellent doctors. I had lunch with a gastroenterologist who told me he makes $57.00 (USD) per month as a salary. They have free food and shelter from the government but that blew my mind.

sperry
4/10/2011, 11:54 AM
Lot's of doctors go to overseas medical schools and end up with extremely successful practices. Hope Pasha ends up the same way.

cccasooner2
4/10/2011, 01:08 PM
I like his odds (much better than NFL), and wish him well.

bluedogok
4/10/2011, 08:25 PM
As a fellow aspiring doctor, I wish him the best. It is a long and difficult road to a career filled with stress and possible lawsuits.
That could pretty much be said of any profession these days.

Soonerjeepman
4/10/2011, 10:55 PM
12,000 students...WOW...that's a lot of students...and (I'm assuming) the 100 Americans are on scholarship..

but I disagree with 2 points...

I might be in the search for many things when I return to the states, but a large paycheck won’t be one of them. There are lots of people in the states who are being refused services they are entitled by their humanity to have; I want to be there for them.”

#1 my bro is a doc in Mississippi...he deals with Medicare/medicaid...The patient can go see AS MANY DOCS AS MANY TIMES they want...their $3 co-pay is now $0, yes $0...co-pay....with UNLIMITED visits. If they couldn't pay the co-pay he still had to see them.

#2 guess I need to just quit paying my $320 a month payment for my kids...since they deserve health care because they are human...don't think that would float with the docs or hospitals.

ok, BLAST away...

Read more: http://newsok.com/ex-sooner-pasha-jackson-finds-his-calling-in-cuba/article/3379660#ixzz1JBPy69DY

rainiersooner
4/11/2011, 10:52 AM
12,000 students...WOW...that's a lot of students...and (I'm assuming) the 100 Americans are on scholarship..

but I disagree with 2 points...

I might be in the search for many things when I return to the states, but a large paycheck won’t be one of them. There are lots of people in the states who are being refused services they are entitled by their humanity to have; I want to be there for them.”

#1 my bro is a doc in Mississippi...he deals with Medicare/medicaid...The patient can go see AS MANY DOCS AS MANY TIMES they want...their $3 co-pay is now $0, yes $0...co-pay....with UNLIMITED visits. If they couldn't pay the co-pay he still had to see them.

#2 guess I need to just quit paying my $320 a month payment for my kids...since they deserve health care because they are human...don't think that would float with the docs or hospitals.

ok, BLAST away...

Read more: http://newsok.com/ex-sooner-pasha-jackson-finds-his-calling-in-cuba/article/3379660#ixzz1JBPy69DY

I blame Obama for Pasha Jackson.

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2011, 11:22 AM
I blame Obama for Pasha Jackson.

I blame Pasha Jackson for Obama.

rainiersooner
4/11/2011, 03:05 PM
I blame Pasha Jackson for Obama.

I blame Ali Pasha for Leroy Lizard.

Leroy Lizard
4/11/2011, 03:46 PM
I blame Ali Pasha for Leroy Lizard.

I'd be pissed if only I knew who is Ali Pasha. Tell me so I can be pissed.

rainiersooner
4/11/2011, 05:01 PM
I'd be pissed if only I knew who is Ali Pasha. Tell me so I can be pissed.

Meh, it was a poor attempt at humor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Pasha

Big D Sooner
4/12/2011, 07:02 PM
Anyone have an update of Jackson's progress?

He's studying.

Leroy Lizard
4/12/2011, 09:38 PM
Meh, it was a poor attempt at humor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Pasha

That's some interesting reading. I was not familiar with this story. Sounds like someone you wouldn't wanted to mess with. (Well, not before they cut off his head. After that it would have been okay.)

rainiersooner
4/12/2011, 10:55 PM
That's some interesting reading. I was not familiar with this story. Sounds like someone you wouldn't wanted to mess with. (Well, not before they cut off his head. After that it would have been okay.)

I actually did learn something from this little post exercise. On my list of life's lessons, I will add..."don't mess with Albanian Muslims in a dark bar."