PDA

View Full Version : where is the us open thread?

sooneron
6/19/2009, 06:53 AM
Huh? I'm on the train to bethpage as I type. Gotta love technology.

OU4LIFE
6/19/2009, 07:31 AM
hope you've got your rain gear.

also heard that the people yesterday that had day one tickets and got rained out....no rain checks.

doosh move USGA

OU4LIFE
6/19/2009, 07:39 AM
I put in a phone call, you should see some sun pretty soon.

fadada1
6/19/2009, 07:41 AM
might i suggest going to usopen.com

watch the live feed ONLY if you want to enjoy the taste (along with the commentators) of tigers nether-regions. if you are not a fan of tigger, might i suggest a pipe wrench to your temple.

now, where did i leave that wrench????

fadada1
6/19/2009, 07:45 AM
we're in the middle of hosting our annual amateur event (monroe invitational). tigger played in it back in 1993 when he was 17. anyway, one of the local sportscasters called the other day asking for some updates, and told me he had some "killer footage" of tiger from the '93 tournament that they would be playing on the news. i asked him if he was aware that tiger was not playing in the monroe invitational, and that his footage is 16 years old.

didn't show 1 second of the current tournament. asshats.

picasso
6/19/2009, 08:41 AM
it's funny that yesterday I got so completely wrapped up in this project that I forgot about the tourney. only to learn it had mostly been rained out.

Sooner04
6/19/2009, 08:58 AM

also heard that the people yesterday that had day one tickets and got rained out....no rain checks.

doosh move USGA
Their hands are tied on this matter. There are 40-50,000 people with tickets for today, and if you've let in those with rainchecks from yesterday then you've got Woodstock on your hands.

Sooner04
6/19/2009, 09:03 AM
At 9:00 CDT, there's a B. Martin leading the US Open.

fadada1
6/19/2009, 09:03 AM
now that coverage is on:

better story - tiger playing like he should, or two amateurs at the top of the leaderboard?

hey espn, how about giving some kudos to anyone not named tigger.

fadada1
6/19/2009, 09:06 AM
and how about this, ben martin (leading right now) was suppose to play in the amateur event at my place of employment this week. lemme see, nice, old donald ross course - very nice amateur event... or the u.s. open.

tough call.
;)

picasso
6/19/2009, 09:15 AM
yeah that's kinda like deciding between a tee time at Southern Hills or Goat Hills in Sand Springs.

just joshin ya.;)

fadada1
6/19/2009, 09:19 AM
we had joey sindelar give a clinic last night, lemme just say these guys are fantastic. he talked most of the time, but hit about 10 balls. hit a 1-iron (yes, a 1-iron) on a string about 230. also hit 2-3 identical drives that went about 310. no warm-up. makes you wonder how these guys miss fairways.

OU4LIFE
6/19/2009, 09:23 AM
Good times.

Sooner04
6/19/2009, 09:29 AM
You know things are tough out there when a par on your first hole of the championship puts you in the top 5.

KC//CRIMSON
6/19/2009, 09:30 AM

doosh move USGA

An estimated 42,000 pissed off golf clappers......that's insane.

fadada1
6/19/2009, 09:30 AM
You know things are tough out there when a par on your first hole of the championship puts you in the top 5.

true. and a bogey keeps you in the top 10.

OU4LIFE
6/19/2009, 09:32 AM
srsly, Tiger is tied for 37th, and that's all they want to talk about. How about some respect for the guys that are playing their asses off right now...

fadada1
6/19/2009, 09:38 AM
srsly, Tiger is tied for 37th, and that's all they want to talk about. How about some respect for the guys that are playing their asses off right now...

but, but we're texas!!! i mean, he's tiger!!!

Petro-Sooner
6/19/2009, 09:48 AM
Thursday tickets will be honored on the Monday round.

Sooner04
6/19/2009, 10:16 AM
This is what happens when ESPN gets their greasy tentacles on things. Yankees, Red Sox and Tiger. ALL THE TIME!

That's what made the last two majors sorta nice. I've got nothing against Tiger, but it was a joy to see all the shots from the leaders for a change.

OU4LIFE
6/19/2009, 10:51 AM
agreed. I have no problem with Tiger, when he's in contention.

King Crimson
6/19/2009, 11:13 AM
if it stays even close to this, over/under on Slapshot Hansen Bros references in the media....?

Kim with a couple birdies.

StoopTroup
6/19/2009, 11:24 AM
Farren will take it all :D

http://i.pga.com/pga/images/headshots/2007/ppnc/194.jpg

Scott D
6/19/2009, 11:34 AM
I'm so glad I've got DirecTV this weekend bitches.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/19/2009, 11:38 AM
I'm so glad I've got DirecTV this weekend bitches.

Thats the way big pimps roll!

Boomer.....
6/19/2009, 11:41 AM
Thats the way big pimps roll!

Not this.

Scott D
6/19/2009, 11:58 AM
don't make me go all Wayne Brady on you Boomer....

tidalmouse
6/19/2009, 12:10 PM
"Wayne Brady makes Bryant Gumbell look like Malcom X.".

stoops the eternal pimp
6/19/2009, 12:18 PM
betta reconize boomer!

Scott D
6/19/2009, 12:19 PM

doosh move USGA

they caved to pressure

United States Golf Association executive director David Fay announced Friday that fans holding tickets for Thursday's rained-out session can use them Monday, if the U.S. Open stretches to a fifth day.

SoonerAcesUp
6/19/2009, 12:25 PM
I'm pulling for Phil this week. How big of a win would this be for that family. Makes a long birdie putt on 17 and the crowd goes nuts! If only the weather was going to be like this the next couple of days. I was ready to veg on the couch all weekend and watch nothing but golf but tomorrow will probably be a washout.

Sooner04
6/19/2009, 02:42 PM
What's the over/under on Duval's second round score? 75?

Look at Todd Hamilton at -2. Steady, steady golf right now.

This thing is playing like the British Open right now in regards to the weather. The people who went out early yesterday slogged it out in brutal conditions that ran through this morning. Meanwhile it's a "soft" day for the original Thursday afternoon pairings.

Spray
6/19/2009, 02:55 PM
Somebody please take Chris Berman's mike away from him.

King Crimson
6/19/2009, 03:00 PM

i had a similar thought this morning. guy has no idea what he's talking about 85% of the time. and that's generous.

let's get 'em Todd.

of course he makes his first bogey once the SF attention is on.

edit: but gets it back with a birdie on 8 (17th hole).

Sooner04
6/19/2009, 03:05 PM
He's very knowledgeable about the NFL. That's about it. Have we heard a David "Ground Control to Major" Toms yet? Oi.

The green coats at Augusta National decreed that Berman would not be part of the coverage when ESPN landed the Masters gig a couple of years ago. That's why you see Tirico so much during that week.

Listening to Berman will definitely make you go blind.

King Crimson
6/19/2009, 03:11 PM
Kim and Villegas sure went foldo on their inward nines.

Sooner04
6/19/2009, 03:18 PM
Todd Hamilton, for heaven's sake!

Sooner04
6/19/2009, 03:28 PM
64 from Mike Weir. Only two first round scores have ever been better: Jack Nicklaus and Tom Weiskopf at Baltusrol in 1980.

I'm putting Mike's second round over/under at 73.

Scott D
6/19/2009, 04:24 PM
I'm watching Channel 703 to mock you Phil fans....hey we're following Mickelson, Els, and Goosen around all day.

picasso
6/19/2009, 04:27 PM
I think the network doing the coverage is in a tight spot due to the fact that the numbers are so much higher when Tiger is in the tourney. that translates that folks wanna see Eldrick whether he's killing it or not.

tidalmouse
6/19/2009, 04:29 PM
Are they still Playin'? :confused:

Scott D
6/19/2009, 04:37 PM
Not even mentioning Eldrick at any time on Channel 703..It's All Phil, Ernie, Retief all the time.

Scott D
6/19/2009, 04:38 PM
Are they still Playin'? :confused:

second round just started about 35 minutes ago. They're playing until it's too dark to see.

tidalmouse
6/19/2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks Scott.I didn't realize they'd swapped back to ESPN on the Basic Cable....:pop:

Scott D
6/19/2009, 04:46 PM
see, that's why you need DirecTV, channel 701 open mix..is definitely the best way to go about it ;)

King Crimson
6/19/2009, 05:56 PM
if it stays even close to this, over/under on Slapshot Hansen Bros references in the media....?

Berman just did it.

the Todd Hamilton train keeps rolling....2 birdies through 4 in round 2. -5, just 1 back of Weir.

sooneron
6/19/2009, 07:54 PM
Ah, good times today . SAw a bunch of birds on six - AK, Phil, rory, tired and still on the train.

King Crimson
6/20/2009, 12:09 PM
headline currently at yahoo sports:

"Forget about the leaders. Tiger Woods needs to post a decent second round simply to make the cut at Bethpage".

"forget about the leaders...."? I guess no one's even afraid to say it anymore. might as well be the Jonas Bros or Lady Gaga, since it's it's just star system and not sports or competition.

King Crimson
6/20/2009, 03:00 PM
local qualifier Ryan Spears from Del City getting some nice TV pub here in network coverage garbage time. hit a helluva shot just now. birdies last hole. right on.

King Crimson
6/20/2009, 03:12 PM
for the 8 billionth time today about any couple dozen players:

*Dan Hicks: "player x is the kind of guy who, if he gets it going, can really..." 1. "really get it going" or 2. really put up a low score".

*Miller: "that's right".

right now, i'd put Hicks' statement in the same category of epistemology as if he were to say:

*Hicks: "player x is unique because he is wearing shoes and has 14 clubs in his bag".

*Miller: "that's right".

King Crimson
6/20/2009, 08:15 PM
Duval is -3 but on the front 9 in round 2 he had a five hole stretch with 4 bogeys.

Sooner04
6/20/2009, 08:25 PM
KC, did it seem like the announcers were running on fumes for a while? I'll give them a break by resorting to hyperbole when they've been taping and on the air for nearly 12 hours.

I'm anxious to see how Barnes handles the pressure. Guy was all-world in college and beat Hunter Mahan (Aggie) to win the US Amateur at Oakland Hills. Contended in the '03 Masters for a while too. Lot of moving parts in that golf swing though. I imagine it can put up two 75s for every 65. He's playing Wilson irons though, so that's already one reason to root for him.

Lucas Glover is a mental midget. I don't expect him to hang around. He'll probably win after that endorsement.

King Crimson
6/20/2009, 08:41 PM
so, what do you play those Staff blades or what?

i figured you'd be playing some Hogan Apex II's you bought at a garage sale with old timey stiff iron shafts. heh.

i have no idea what will happen tomorrow or when they'll ever finish this thing. worst (or best?) case scenario is Monday your sending out contenders onto the golf course with 4-5 holes left to play after a night of sleeping on it.

i'll be looking forward to talking to my dad, this must be an organizational nightmare for the USGA. earlier today they were talking about sending 3somes off the tees for the 3rd round. 3rd round of the US Open, 3somes ain't right.

picasso
6/20/2009, 09:14 PM
KC, did it seem like the announcers were running on fumes for a while? I'll give them a break by resorting to hyperbole when they've been taping and on the air for nearly 12 hours.

I'm anxious to see how Barnes handles the pressure. Guy was all-world in college and beat Hunter Mahan (Aggie) to win the US Amateur at Oakland Hills. Contended in the '03 Masters for a while too. Lot of moving parts in that golf swing though. I imagine it can put up two 75s for every 65. He's playing Wilson irons though, so that's already one reason to root for him.

Lucas Glover is a mental midget. I don't expect him to hang around. He'll probably win after that endorsement.

I don't like the guy but it would be a great story if he won.
Duval seems to be holding on and Hamilton is still there too huh.

I like the course.

Sooner04
6/20/2009, 09:22 PM

i figured you'd be playing some Hogan Apex II's you bought at a garage sale with old timey stiff iron shafts. heh.
No, no. I just always thought Wilson made a gorgeous set of blades. Some of those old Staff clubs are beautiful, so I've always had a soft spot in my heart for guys who played Wilson.

Your old buddy 04's bag is festooned with these beauts.

http://www.holen1golf.com/apex_ftx_med.jpg/apex_ftx_med-full.jpg

This is just a hunch, but I bet the bluecoats in the USGA front office were none too pleased with the low scores being shot in round 2. I think you'll see the Black stretched WAY back tomorrow. Maybe not to the fullest, but I think we'll see 'em back 20-25 yards on holes that can be stretched.

King Crimson
6/20/2009, 09:22 PM
my rooting interest on the first page would go:

Duval (too weird not to pull for), Hamilton (yeah, OK), Wier (good to see a guy cement his legacy with a 2nd major--he's Hale Irwin of this generation), O'Hair (like his game)

Sooner04
6/20/2009, 09:26 PM
my rooting interest on the first page would go:

Duval (too weird not to pull for), Hamilton (yeah, OK), Wier (good to see a guy cement his legacy with a 2nd major--he's Hale Irwin of this generation), O'Hair (like his game)
Mike Weir = Hale Irwin of this generation? Man, I don't know. Irwin was one of the greatest iron players who ever lived.

I could watch ol' Hale stripe a King Cobra 4-iron for hours. He made the Senior Tour watchable for me.

King Crimson
6/20/2009, 09:26 PM
No, no. I just always thought Wilson made a gorgeous set of blades. Some of those old Staff clubs are beautiful, so I've always had a soft spot in my heart for guys who played Wilson.

This is just a hunch, but I bet the bluecoats in the USGA front office were none too pleased with the low scores being shot in round 2. I think you'll see the Black stretched WAY back tomorrow. Maybe not to the fullest, but I think we'll see 'em back 20-25 yards on holes that can be stretched.

those Medallions. what my g-dad played. back in the day, those and the Staff irons when they were drop forged before all the exterior weighting and such in the 90's, and the big on the toe post-PING look....were hard as hell to hit. you had to bring it to play those.

that being said, i play some Eye III's i inherited from my dad...and still have my Eye II's from high school and college. my fave irons i played were Titleists, i can't remember the make.

King Crimson
6/20/2009, 09:28 PM
Mike Weir = Hale Irwin of this generation? Man, I don't know. Irwin was one of the greatest iron players who ever lived.

I could watch ol' Hale stripe a King Cobra 4-iron for hours. He made the Senior Tour watchable for me.

if he wins. Irwin played well on courses that otherwise were against his game....because he by necessity was a good long iron player. maybe it's not a great comparison. but, Miller was dropping the dogs on Zac Johnson because he lacked the next 15-20 yards of length to be a dominant player. i don't love Johnson but he's got no more short-comings than Irwin off the tee and what iron he hits from 180.

Sooner04
6/20/2009, 09:30 PM
The only time you'll ever see a Ping iron in my hands is if I'm working in the garden.

Did you know that Hogan clubs are no longer in production? Callaway bought the company/brand and put it in mothballs. The old man must be spinning in his grave. My granddad had a set of Producers (1975) and, man, there was no doubt when you hit them good and REALLY no doubt when you hit them bad.

Those guys dropping 66s and 67s in the Opens back in the day could REALLY play. If you weren't nutting it you were 20 yards off line in the blink of an eye with those butter knives.

King Crimson
6/20/2009, 09:36 PM
The only time you'll ever see a Ping iron in my hands is if I'm working in the garden.

Did you know that Hogan clubs are no longer in production? Callaway bought the company/brand and put it in mothballs. The old man must be spinning in his grave. My granddad had a set of Producers (1975) and, man, there was no doubt when you hit them good and REALLY no doubt when you hit them bad.

Those guys dropping 66s and 67s in the Opens back in the day could REALLY play. If you weren't nutting it you were 20 yards off line in the blink of an eye with those butter knives.

i knew that about Hogan. like i say, some guy who was a touring pro in the southwest and had learned to play from Hogan taught my granddad how to swing the club and play the game in the 50's...and it was all Hogan after that for him. grip, stance, alignment.

we've down the PING road before on the boards, i know. i grew up hitting persimmon and "other" woods. the expression "hitting it on the screws" was no faking. out on the toe or heel, you are walking about 140 yards to your next shot. back then, with those forged irons with steel shafts....there was definitely a sweet spot and a lot of not sweet spot.

those guys could really play.

Sooner04
6/20/2009, 09:45 PM
It's been said before that Greg Norman might be the greatest driver in the history of the game. 300, dead straight, with persimmon woods smaller than the 5-woods of today. Incredible. I know they trick up the courses to be tough now, but Hogan shot 67 at Oakland Hills in '51 playing irons that 99.999% of the pros today couldn't get off the ground.

I'm just joshing you on the old Pings. The Eye 2's were revolutionary. And color coding the iron based on the height of the player? Absolutely brilliant.

http://www.golfreview.com/Channels/GolfReview/images/products/product_329369.jpg

I've really got no room to talk because I bought a set of the irons you see above on Ebay for investment/curiosity reasonings. They're goofy looking, but an iron has never set more square for me. Corey Pavin won a US Open playing them.

King Crimson
6/20/2009, 09:59 PM
that's pretty wild, that freak show Cleveland iron. because they were one of the companies to first start making the classic blade look again. i always liked the way the newer Mizuno blades set up the ball as well.

King Crimson
6/20/2009, 10:02 PM
one thing though, about the "old timey days" is those balata balls were a lot softer and you could really spin them and have some control off the club face at impact hitting a cut or draw. and they were nice on the greens too.

Sooner24
6/20/2009, 10:12 PM
WOW! JUST WOW!

Saturday night and you guys are chatting about golf clubs!

Boy the married life has taken over. ;)

Sooner04
6/20/2009, 10:21 PM
WOW! JUST WOW!

Saturday night and you guys are chatting about golf clubs!

Boy the married life has taken over. ;)
Says the man sitting in his chair watching cars make left turns for 500 laps.

King Crimson
6/20/2009, 10:42 PM
i had my "date" last night. and i ain't married.

leave me out of NASCAR and it's still only 9:30 where i live which is too early to "go out". got essay exams to grade tomorrow and a few beers to kill off so they don't bedevil me tomorrow.

picasso
6/20/2009, 11:43 PM
the balls we use today are much more forgiving and my uncle (who used to coach golf) swears to this day that the pros balls are a bit more juiced than what we hit.
I've actually got one of Tiger's Nike practice balls from the '01 Open in Tulsa. 2 friends of mine worked the practice range all week and swiped one for me. My uncle told me to go hit said ball to see if it had any juice!
One of said friend's is in his 60's and an African American and was driving the pros from the clubhouse to the short game practice range. Well Eldrick was there and needed a ride back and there was a pile up of volunteers to give him a ride. Tiger picked my buddy.:)

Sooner04
6/20/2009, 11:47 PM
Anybody notice Tiger carrying a blank box of balls on the range? Yep, probably a little more soup in those than your OTR models.

Just ran across a nifty little stat on Sir Hogan. From 1946 to 1956, Ben Hogan finished in the top 8 in 23 of the 24 majors he competed in. The PGA was match play back then, and he lost in the first round in 1947. Other than that, at least top 8 in the rest.

Fairways and greens.

King Crimson
6/20/2009, 11:57 PM
it's a fact the guys on tour are hitting clubs (especially drivers) you can't go buy. they are playing "demos" and hot clubs. it's kind of a trickle down from the club reps until they are mass produced.

despite what the commercials say, you aren't going to go to Golf Store X and buy what Tiger is teeing up tomorrow. Balls are no different.

picasso
6/20/2009, 11:58 PM
I have to admit that I like watching next month's open better. something about watching it live early Sunday that gets me in me gulliver.

Sooner04
6/20/2009, 11:59 PM
A lot of these guys are hitting drivers with shafts that cost upwards of a grand. The shafts in their irons cost a couple hundred a piece too. KC is right, the stuff they use out on tour is tricked up to the nth degree.

picasso
6/21/2009, 12:00 AM
it's a fact the guys on tour are hitting clubs (especially drivers) you can't go buy. they are playing "demos" and hot clubs. it's kind of a trickle down from the club reps until they are mass produced.

despite what the commercials say, you aren't going to go to Golf Store X and buy what Tiger is teeing up tomorrow. Balls are no different.

yep.

King Crimson
6/21/2009, 12:44 PM
Barnes -3 through 4 today.

i'm still not giving up on Weir winning this thing....but Sunday, 3rd round screws with yer head.

barnes, glover and weir are about to make it a 3 guy race in round 4 unless someone goes low in the -1 to -3 group.

sooneron
6/21/2009, 02:05 PM

I carried my Dad's Wilson Staff blades until about 7 years ago! They were the ones that OU issued him when he played there.

King Crimson
6/21/2009, 02:05 PM
Weir +3 already. 4 bogies in 5 holes. Barnes also coming back to the pack.

sooneron
6/21/2009, 02:06 PM
Barnes is teetering...

King Crimson
6/21/2009, 02:07 PM
I carried my Dad's Wilson Staff blades until about 7 years ago! They were the ones that OU issued him when he played there.

who was the golf coach then....Robert O?

sooneron
6/21/2009, 02:07 PM
I think that was just before Robert O. Hang on, he's upstairs.

Turd_Ferguson
6/21/2009, 02:10 PM
The Payne Stewart clip was cool.

King Crimson
6/21/2009, 02:13 PM
The Payne Stewart clip was cool.

i saw Payne Stewart hit the single greatest golf shot i've ever seen at Southern Hills PGA in 84 (?). he gets it up and down out of the water for a par 3 at number 8 maybe. i played Phil Rodgers Cobra wedges after that. hell yeah.

sooneron
6/21/2009, 02:16 PM
It warms my heart that when I die, I could have lived as such a doosh and yet, people will remember me fondly like they do with PS.

sooneron
6/21/2009, 02:17 PM
Now Barnes is not teetering.

Turd_Ferguson
6/21/2009, 02:28 PM
It warms my heart that when I die, I could have lived as such a doosh and yet, people will remember me fondly like they do with PS.WTF:confused:

King Crimson
6/21/2009, 02:48 PM
i'll curse all of us here, but Hamilton gets to -4...he's got a chance.

Turd_Ferguson
6/21/2009, 03:02 PM
Phil's got the flat stick work'n. Nice putt out at 18.

King Crimson
6/21/2009, 03:15 PM
i take it back. Hamilton makes double back to -1.

fadada1
6/21/2009, 04:58 PM
so happy that nbc is showing last year's open coverage. i've seen more of last year's open (this year) than when it was live last year.

and to think, i'd almost forgotten who won. thanks for the info, johnny miller (asshat).:rolleyes:

picasso
6/21/2009, 05:22 PM
i saw Payne Stewart hit the single greatest golf shot i've ever seen at Southern Hills PGA in 84 (?). he gets it up and down out of the water for a par 3 at number 8 maybe. i played Phil Rodgers Cobra wedges after that. hell yeah.

'94? I saw him break his driver on the 9th hole and give it to a kid. I emailed Dave Sittler about it during the tourney two years ago, thought it would make a great story if they could find the kid who got the club.

Turd_Ferguson
6/21/2009, 06:45 PM
IMO, any **** stick that yell's "get in the hole" every time a player hits the ball, should be throat punched right then and there.

VeeJay
6/21/2009, 08:34 PM
I agree Turd. That's the most annoying thing about watching golf on TV - so *** clown yelling at the golf ball. You know the pro's hate that too.

A couple of tourneys ago, the *** clown yelled it on a 540 yard par 5 when the bastage teed off.

King Crimson
6/21/2009, 10:29 PM
I agree Turd. That's the most annoying thing about watching golf on TV - so *** clown yelling at the golf ball. You know the pro's hate that too.

A couple of tourneys ago, the *** clown yelled it on a 540 yard par 5 when the bastage teed off.

i yell "TIGER!" every time Eldrick hits a teeball.

King Crimson
6/21/2009, 10:31 PM
maybe Barnes and Glover will come back to the pack a la Goosen and Jason Gore at Pinehurst.

Hamilton with two 5's on par 3's in his last 6 holes.

picasso
6/21/2009, 10:41 PM
don't look now but with Elrdick at even he could easily finish out 4 under and raising some pulses.

Sooner04
6/22/2009, 12:19 AM
It warms my heart that when I die, I could have lived as such a doosh and yet, people will remember me fondly like they do with PS.
In Payne's defense he did get his **** together after some lean years in the mid 90s. He was, by all accounts, the definition of ******* leading up to that though.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a prettier golf swing. Maybe Julius Boros. Maybe.

Sundown came just in time for Barnes. He was leaking oil all over the place. He'll bogey #2 from that haggis, but if he can get through the par 3 and make birdie at the par 5 4th I like his chances of settling into the round. Another quick bogey and he'll look like Dr. Gil at Pebble Beach in '92.

Tiger's ship may have already sailed. He hit the ball well enough to shoot 65 in round 3 and couldn't buy a putt. He's EVEN right now, so what's he going to need to post? Three under? Four?

King Crimson
6/22/2009, 12:34 AM
Eldrick can't win this one, someone will have to lose it.

Stewart and Azinger are both sort of hailed as "great guys" but were kind of *******s as players.

OU4LIFE
6/22/2009, 07:47 AM
He's playing Wilson irons though, so that's already one reason to root for him.

awww thanks. Old Wilson blades are sweet, and the new ones aren't bad. The Fi5's are classic Wilson....

http://www.wavelandgolf.com/images/staffFi5irons.jpeg

Mjcpr
6/22/2009, 08:34 AM
Why does Barnes strut around like a **** after a birdie? For this reason alone, I will root for him to cough it up like a hairball.

Glover's okay. Mickelson winning would be a great story. Mahan can suck it. The non-Americans can suck it. Duval would be good too.

Mjcpr
6/22/2009, 08:36 AM
Tiger is at -1 now.

Boomer.....
6/22/2009, 09:10 AM
You mean +1.

Mjcpr
6/22/2009, 09:12 AM
Yeah, went the other way after that. :D

Boomer.....
6/22/2009, 09:54 AM
Tiger and Phil both at -1 now. Leaders are falling.

SoonerAcesUp
6/22/2009, 09:55 AM
What a train wreck at the top of the leaderboard! I have no idea how Ricky Barnes got to -11 with that swing??? This is going to be high drama....

1890MilesToNorman
6/22/2009, 09:57 AM
RB's swing looks a lot like mine right now and that ain't pretty. He was very smooth the other day and looked like a completely different golfer?

Petro-Sooner
6/22/2009, 10:01 AM
Johnny miller is wearing me out!

Mjcpr
6/22/2009, 10:04 AM
Johnny miller is wearing me out!

He is the best golf announcer out there by far.

OklaPony
6/22/2009, 10:09 AM
What happened to Todd Hamilton? Scores on TV only show him through 3?

1890MilesToNorman
6/22/2009, 10:13 AM
I would love to see a 18 hole playoff tomorrow, I don't care who is in it. :D

OklaPony
6/22/2009, 10:13 AM
What happened to Todd Hamilton? Scores on TV only show him through 3?
Nevermind, found it on espn.com.

T35 Todd Hamilton +7 through 11

Collier11
6/22/2009, 10:44 AM
Mickelson making a charge

Boomer.....
6/22/2009, 10:46 AM
Tits now tied for the lead at -4.

1890MilesToNorman
6/22/2009, 10:46 AM
Mickelson making a charge

Now I'm rooting fer Glover, Chokleson is one of my least favorite players.

King Crimson
6/22/2009, 10:49 AM
Barnes has made 11 bogeys in his last 21 holes.

today: 7 bogeys, 4 pars.

JohnnyMack
6/22/2009, 11:08 AM
Nice to see Ricky Barnes is starting to play like Ricky Barnes.

King Crimson
6/22/2009, 11:40 AM
Phil is not acting like he wants to win this.

King Crimson
6/22/2009, 11:41 AM
Hamilton, 3 doubles today.

Boomer.....
6/22/2009, 11:43 AM
Duval now tied for the lead with Chokelson and Glover at -3.

StoopTroup
6/22/2009, 11:44 AM
Nice to see Ricky Barnes is starting to play like Ricky Barnes.

I went to the Dentist and came back to see he had melted down. WOW!

StoopTroup
6/22/2009, 11:46 AM
That darn putt didn't break like NBC's pinpoint accuracy said it would....lol

StoopTroup
6/22/2009, 11:48 AM
Phil is starting to play like Phil again.

King Crimson
6/22/2009, 11:51 AM
That darn putt didn't break like NBC's pinpoint accuracy said it would....lol

yeah, they get a little ahead of themselves sometimes in their all-knowingness.

Boomer.....
6/22/2009, 11:57 AM
Glover now with a 2 shot lead.

King Crimson
6/22/2009, 12:02 PM
put me in the someone other than Glover junta. but, he's gonna have to fold pretty good for the junta to seize power.

OU4LIFE
6/22/2009, 12:22 PM
Glovers press conference will be live on Hee Haw.

I was in Phil's camp all week, anyone that can go out and perform at that level under those circumstances is top notch in my book. Good for him.

Collier11
6/22/2009, 12:27 PM
Phil now has 5 US Open runner ups, that par 3 killed him

1890MilesToNorman
6/22/2009, 12:30 PM
Phil now has 5 US Open runner ups, that par 3 killed him

Hence the Chokleson nickname. I was hoping fer a playoff but there's always next year. :D

StoopTroup
6/22/2009, 12:37 PM
I like Duvall. Good to see him get back in the thick it things.

Scott D
6/22/2009, 12:51 PM
Nice to see Duval with his first top 10 finish in a tournament since 2002. Maybe he's finally getting beyond the demons of self doubt.

KC//CRIMSON
6/22/2009, 03:55 PM
Tits now tied for the lead at -4.

Too soon!

SoonerAcesUp
6/22/2009, 04:02 PM
I heard them say on the radio that Duval made as much this tournament as he's made in the past 5 1/2 years combined. Not that's he's hurting for money but that sure helps things out a bit. It was good to see him back in contention. I couldn't help to watch him and wait for the blow-up but overall he never really did. If it wasn't for that bad break of plugged shot in the bunker on #3 he might have won it.

King Crimson
6/22/2009, 04:05 PM
that was terrible break for Duval plugged in the lip of the bunker. that's an unplayable shot.

Scott D
6/22/2009, 04:20 PM
that was terrible break for Duval plugged in the lip of the bunker. that's an unplayable shot.

I like the fact that unlike the past few years, his game didn't fall apart after that break.

picasso
6/22/2009, 05:03 PM
don't look now but with Elrdick at even he could easily finish out 4 under and raising some pulses.

ahem, I figured -4 might be the numba.

King Crimson
6/22/2009, 05:23 PM
ahem, I figured -4 might be the numba.

pretty close predic. but, Barnes nosedives from -11. i thought he handled it pretty well in the interviews. and winning the Amateur is nothing to sniff at.

Sooner04
6/22/2009, 05:50 PM
Made it through the morning and began catching up during lunch. Raced home after work and caught the conclusion.

The whole time I thought.............ANYBODY but Lucas Glover. I've seen more emotion from guys winning the "D" Flight at the Member/Guest. Bleh.

Barnes, Phil, Duval, any of those would've been a great story. Now it's not even front page stuff.

Scott D
6/22/2009, 06:50 PM
only thing I could think with Glover winning was, even through that sweater/sweatshirt...his wife Jennifer has a nice sized rack.

picasso
6/22/2009, 08:44 PM
it was funny watching it live online. There was a real time comment application to the side and for every 2 or 3 c'mon Phil's there was one Pepsodent Charlie or Chokelson quip.
I never thought Barnes or the other leaders would hold on in the final round. Just rarely happens.

Sooner04
6/22/2009, 08:49 PM
I never thought Barnes or the other leaders would hold on in the final round. Just rarely happens.
You're not kidding. Final rounds of the past are littered with 76s and 77s from the 3rd round leaders. 74 won't cut it either, normally, but Glover got himself a US Open shooting that. Heck, poor Ken Venturi went 75-80 on the weekend of the '56 Masters and lost by a shot as an amateur. That's heart wrenching right there.

I'll tell you this: they'd have poured into Bethpage from all corners of the Island if Phil had somehow forced a playoff. That would've been nuts.

tulsaoilerfan
6/22/2009, 09:13 PM
Phil has got to be the worst short putter in the history of golf; how many 4 footers can a "great" player miss in his lifetime? I was hoping either Phil or Duval would win instead we get another guy winning the Open that no one has heard of; whoopee

picasso
6/22/2009, 11:03 PM
yeah some idiot posted the statement that we'd not soon forget the name of Lucas Glover and then a wisenheimer chimes in that he loves Danny Glover.:D

OU4LIFE
6/23/2009, 05:25 AM
Phil has got to be the worst short putter in the history of golf

you obviously never watched Johnny Miller play.

Collier11
6/23/2009, 08:50 AM
I'll tell you this: they'd have poured into Bethpage from all corners of the Island if Phil had somehow forced a playoff. That would've been nuts.

I feel for the guy, im def a big Phil fan.

Phil has got to be the worst short putter in the history of golf; how many 4 footers can a "great" player miss in his lifetime? I was hoping either Phil or Duval would win instead we get another guy winning the Open that no one has heard of; whoopee

This is true but remember he had to make alot of shots just to get back in contention including a great Eagle

Ive heard him call a golf tournament, is it just as bad?

picasso
6/23/2009, 08:54 AM
maybe Phil has finally stopped chasing skirts. maybe not.

OU4LIFE
6/23/2009, 09:03 AM
Ive heard him call a golf tournament, is it just as bad?

His short putting, at times, was even worse. Seriously, the guy might have been the greatest mid-iron player of all time, if he could have putted...who knows.

picasso
6/23/2009, 09:09 AM
His short putting, at times, was even worse. Seriously, the guy might have been the greatest mid-iron player of all time, if he could have putted...who knows.

He was in a Shell Wonderful World of Golf match recently (last 7 or 8 years) at the Olympic Club in San Fran. dude was piercing his shots and missing the easiest putts. missing badly.

kinda like Sergio.

Collier11
6/23/2009, 09:13 AM
See thats why I was so shocked that Phil lost or atleast didnt force a playoff, his putting was iffy at times but his short game is usually Top 1 or 2 in golf and he botched that chip on #17 bad

picasso
6/23/2009, 09:17 AM
See thats why I was so shocked that Phil lost or atleast didnt force a playoff, his putting was iffy at times but his short game is usually Top 1 or 2 in golf and he botched that chip on #17 bad

that was actually not a bad shot. out of the USGA rough and within 6 ft. He just yanked the putt.

Collier11
6/23/2009, 09:29 AM
His chip ended up way right of the hole which in turn made for a tough putt

picasso
6/23/2009, 09:35 AM
His chip ended up way right of the hole which in turn made for a tough putt

huh? on 17? the side he was on was better than to his right.

Collier11
6/23/2009, 09:46 AM
17 was the par 3 that he landed short wasnt it, on that hole he chipped it way right. You mustve been too busy banging multiple chicks that night ;)

picasso
6/23/2009, 09:49 AM
17 was the par 3 that he landed short wasnt it, on that hole he chipped it way right. You mustve been too busy banging multiple chicks that night ;)

hmm, I coulda swore he was short of the hole. either way I'm glad he made bogey.

Collier11
6/23/2009, 09:49 AM
Jerk! ;)

I just want to see him win atleast 1 more to atone for 06'

picasso
6/23/2009, 09:58 AM
I don't.

Sooner04
6/23/2009, 10:11 AM
Phil lost this thing on 15. Hits that green in two but his first putt was so tentative. He's made a career out of missing those big 5-footers, and I knew he'd either win the tournament or lose it with that par putt. You can look back through all his US Open runner-up finishes and you'll find that crucial missed putt late. The worst one was the first, when he and Payne Stewart both knocked it stone dead on 17 in '99.

Payne made his, Phil missed his.

OU4LIFE, have you ever seen video from Johnny Miller's last win? He won the Pro-Am at Pebble in '94 and he had the yips so bad he actually putted with his eyes closed the last few holes. Seems like a lot of the greats have gone down that road over the years. Armour, Hogan, Watson, etc. I can't give a guy who shot 63 at Oakmont too much trouble. I know that round gets talked about a lot but, Jesus, that's OAKMONT! 63? My Lord.

OU4LIFE
6/23/2009, 10:22 AM
Phil lost this thing on 15. Hits that green in two but his first putt was so tentative. He's made a career out of missing those big 5-footers, and I knew he'd either win the tournament or lose it with that par putt. You can look back through all his US Open runner-up finishes and you'll find that crucial missed putt late. The worst one was the first, when he and Payne Stewart both knocked it stone dead on 17 in '99.

Payne made his, Phil missed his.

OU4LIFE, have you ever seen video from Johnny Miller's last win? He won the Pro-Am at Pebble in '94 and he had the yips so bad he actually putted with his eyes closed the last few holes. Seems like a lot of the greats have gone down that road over the years. Armour, Hogan, Watson, etc. I can't give a guy who shot 63 at Oakmont too much trouble. I know that round gets talked about a lot but, Jesus, that's OAKMONT! 63? My Lord.

no doubt brother, Miller get's a lot of flack, and deservedly so, but in my mind, he and Trevino were two of the best ball strikers ever. When Millers irons were on, it was stupid.

picasso
6/23/2009, 10:50 AM
He was Nicklaus-like with his hip turn and rolling feet. I found a vintage teaching book of his at Goodwill. I'll try to find the thing.

Sooner04
6/23/2009, 10:56 AM
no doubt brother, Miller get's a lot of flack, and deservedly so, but in my mind, he and Trevino were two of the best ball strikers ever. When Millers irons were on, it was stupid.
Both are in the conversation of all-time ball strikers but, c'mon............

http://mtogolf.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/ben-hogan.jpg

OU4LIFE
6/23/2009, 11:16 AM
That's my greatest player there....

StoopTroup
6/23/2009, 11:19 AM
Phil will win it someday. He'll probably cry and there will be a huge snot bubble. It will be greatness.

Scott D
6/23/2009, 01:53 PM
That's my greatest player there....

isn't it about time for Bruce to come by and post links on what mj is doing wrong with his swing?

tulsaoilerfan
6/23/2009, 08:23 PM

Not in his prime; i only started watching in 80 and he was pretty much done by then

sooneron
6/23/2009, 09:47 PM

{shaking head}:(

sooneron
6/23/2009, 09:57 PM
Did anyone see this???

http://newsok.com/ryan-hybl-named-ou-mens-golf-coach/article/3379837

sooneron
6/23/2009, 10:12 PM
who was the golf coach then....Robert O?

Bob James

sooneron
6/23/2009, 10:18 PM
Am I crazy for thinkng that I could hit it better with the old blades than I do now with my Callaways?
I know my scores were better, but my distance was crap. 135 for the 8I!

OU4LIFE
6/24/2009, 05:35 AM
dude, I just made the switch to forged blades this year, and i'm hitting it better than ever.

sooneron
6/24/2009, 08:33 AM
dude, I just made the switch to forged blades this year, and i'm hitting it better than ever.

Hmm, maybe I'll consider a set of forged with a smaller cavity back.

OU4LIFE
6/24/2009, 10:03 AM
I'd like to recommend my previous pictures of the Wilson Fi5's.

Graduated cavity set. you like. clean. money.