View Full Version : horn fans, lets be honest...

Pages : 1 [2]

OUAlumni1990
6/25/2009, 06:23 PM
yeah yeah. when was the last time OU won a national championship without many, many Texans on their team.. blah blah blah..

That is so overated. The 2000 team only had maybe 20% texans. The rest were from Oklahoma. Take a look:

http://www.soonerstats.com/football/players/roster.cfm?seasonid=2000

Besides that who cares were they came from. This is a contest between universities, not states.

please get some new material..

You should do the same.

or go spit some "chaw," drink some Pabst Blue Ribbon beer and leave copious negspek (as if that means anything) like the rest of those mental midgets in the posse.

I hate pabst blue ribbon beer. Bud light works for me. :cool: As far as mental midgets.....pot meet kettle....

SoonerBacker
6/25/2009, 09:36 PM
yeah yeah. when was the last time OU won a national championship without many, many Texans on their team.. blah blah blah..

or go spit some "chaw," drink some Pabst Blue Ribbon beer and leave copious negspek (as if that means anything) like the rest of those mental midgets in the posse.

2000 National Champion Team
Starting Rosters -

Offense:
Josh Heuple - Aberdeen, SD
Quentin Griffin - Houston, TX
Frank Ramero - Moore, OK
Howard Duncan - Kansas City, KS
Bubba Burcham - Mustang, OK
Mike Skinner - Tahlequah, OK
Scott Kempenich - Wagoner, OK
Antwone Savage - Albany, GA
Andre Woolfolk - Denver, CO
Trent Smith - Clinton, OK
Seth Littrell - Muskogee, OK

Defense:
Cory Heinecke - Edmond, OK
Ryan Fisher - Arlington, TX
Kory Klein - Tulsa, OK
Corey Callens - Tulsa, OK
Rocky Calmus - Jenks, OK
Torrance Marshall - Miami, FL
Roger Steffen - El Reno, GA
Michael Thompson - Bristow, OK
Roy Williams - Union City, CA
JT Thatcher - Norman, OK
Derrick Strait - Austin, TX

Totals: Oklahomans - 12
Texans - 3
Other - 7

The overall roster of the 2000 team broke down as follows:
Oklahomans - 64
Texans - 22
Other - 18

Oh, and in case you've forgotten, Stoops may not have recruited most of these players, but he did alter their playing positions in many instances, putting them in the right alignments, and he did bring Heupel in from the JC ranks.

Maybe you should "go spit some "chaw," drink some Pabst Blue Ribbon beer and leave copious negspek (as if that means anything) like the rest of those mental midgets in austin....." And try getting some new material, too!

picasso
6/25/2009, 10:35 PM
Who has done a better job as head coach? During the first part of the decade, definitely Stoops. During the latter half of the decade, *Mack*.

And, I have never said that Stoops isn't a great coach.. he is. I believe he is a perfect fit for OU and its fan base.

Both coaches have elevated their programs. One has dominated the conference.

SoonerKnight
6/25/2009, 11:26 PM

Oklahoma wins national titles when the majority of players are not on the team. There was an article on this. In fact when OU has a majority of okies on the team we win national titles. I could not find the article but I will be looking for it!!!!

SoonerKnight
6/25/2009, 11:28 PM
Who has done a better job as head coach? During the first part of the decade, definitely Stoops. During the latter half of the decade, *Mack*.

And, I have never said that Stoops isn't a great coach.. he is. I believe he is a perfect fit for OU and its fan base.

Going to the Holiday Bowl every year does not count lid :rolleyes:

sifa123
6/26/2009, 01:59 AM
Mack Brown and Stoops are different types of coaches. Stoops is more hands on as far as x's and o's, *Mack* Brown recruits the state of *Texas* much better. Look at the history of the two programs, which attribute is better for a program has changed back and forth with the times.

Crucifax Autumn
6/26/2009, 02:38 AM
And OU has more success with supposedly lesser athletes, so regardless of coaching style Stoops > Clapper.

badger
6/26/2009, 07:31 AM
Macc Brown is a good coach... I just like Stoops better.

TexasLidig8r
6/26/2009, 09:12 AM
*Mack* Brown and Stoops are different types of coaches. Stoops is more hands on as far as x's and o's, **Mack** Brown recruits the state of **Texas** much better. Look at the history of the two programs, which attribute is better for a program has changed back and forth with the times.

sifa.. can you get a cite on that. With Stoops background as a defensive coordinator, I can see how he may be more Xs and Os on the defensive front... It would be very interesting to see how much he was involved with the offense when Leach and Mangino the Hutt were there.

I was under the impression the OC called the plays.

I am sure that during the week, all of the coaches game plan and scheme together..

Am curious about the involvement though.

picasso
6/26/2009, 09:14 AM
sifa.. can you get a cite on that. With Stoops background as a defensive coordinator, I can see how he may be more Xs and Os on the defensive front... It would be very interesting to see how much he was involved with the offense when Leach and Mangino the Hutt were there.

I am sure that during the week, all of the coaches game plan and scheme together..

well he brought Leach in, which completely changed the landscape of the entire league. We could start there.

htownsooner7
6/26/2009, 09:32 AM

That was my original quote, I believe.

htownsooner7
6/26/2009, 09:33 AM
Listen man, I get offended by the horn fans as much as anyone. But I really don't get where this thread is going. *Mack* Brown and Stoops are different types of coaches. Stoops is more hands on as far as x's and o's, *Mack* Brown recruits the state of *Texas* much better. Look at the history of the two programs, which attribute is better for a program has changed back and forth with the times. They've both done well in big situations, they've both underachieved when the world was watching. I'd take Stoops at this point based on the conference championships and the head to head, but its pretty close.

As far as "would they have won without Vince?" No. Would we have won 2000 without Heupel? Nope.

Like I said, I'll take Stoops but I don't think horn fans are that out of line if they love what *Mack* Brown has done for their program.

See

footballfanatic
6/28/2009, 11:48 AM
And by the way, what makes you so sure that Tressel is such a great coach? WHO has HE beaten lately? You sure thats such a bragging right?

Tressel is very similar to Stoops. They both recruit nationally. They both have lots of BCS games. They both have a NC ring early in their career. They both have been ending the season with embarrassing losses for several years now.

JLEW1818
6/28/2009, 11:53 AM
Tressel is very similar to Stoops. They both recruit nationally. They both have lots of BCS games. They both have a NC ring early in their career. They both have been ending the season with embarrassing losses for several years now.

well texas technically has embarrassing seasons every year cept 2005... only time they won the conference this decade .... derr

Rogue
6/28/2009, 12:00 PM
I'm no Mack fan, but he consistently recruits and coaches a top 10 team. Only a handful are doing that with comparable consistency. So, to me, arguing whether Mack is just really good or great is sort of pointless. VY was an amazing college athlete, but he had some great talent around him too. I wish he wasn't a Titan.

Mack will go down in the books as one of the best.
Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go throw up.

JLEW1818
6/28/2009, 12:09 PM
i just don't get how you can be one of the best, when you have only won your conference 1 time, in like 25 years as a head coach.....

allenrayx
6/28/2009, 12:27 PM

"As for the "pathetic little rants" on players like Chaisson, it was amazing that the fanbase for OU, almost without exception, supported this kid merely because he can play, with the universal cry of "I trust Stoops."

that makes no sence whatsoever. why else would you support a football player? becaues he cant play? you have to love the tu cows logic

Crucifax Autumn
6/28/2009, 03:46 PM
S personally supported him because from the viewpoint here in Vegas he's a good kid who's never been in trouble before and was facing charges and accusations that went WAY beyond the "word on the street".

As for trusting Stoops, I trust that if this good kid has suddenly turned into some kinda monster with no control then Stoops will boot his *** the second he so much as jaywalks.

OU_Sooners75
6/28/2009, 03:52 PM
Listen man, I get offended by the horn fans as much as anyone. But I really don't get where this thread is going. *Mack* Brown and Stoops are different types of coaches. Stoops is more hands on as far as x's and o's, *Mack* Brown recruits the state of *Texas* much better. Look at the history of the two programs, which attribute is better for a program has changed back and forth with the times. They've both done well in big situations, they've both underachieved when the world was watching. I'd take Stoops at this point based on the conference championships and the head to head, but its pretty close.

As far as "would they have won without Vince?" No. Would we have won 2000 without Heupel? Nope.

Like I said, I'll take Stoops but I don't think horn fans are that out of line if they love what *Mack* Brown has done for their program.

How is it even close?

I will take a coach and pay him 100 times the amount for winning 6 conference championships in 10 years to a guy that has only one 1 in 27 years.

But that is just me.

htownsooner7
6/29/2009, 01:07 PM
I don't know how to measure 'close', but Mack is in the top 10 every year. He has won a national championship and another Rose Bowl. He recruits extremely well, his fan base loves him, and he has raised an incredible amount of money for that university. He is top tier. AGAIN, I would take our guy. But, he has done a very good job.

Collier11
6/29/2009, 02:10 PM
i just don't get how you can be one of the best, when you have only won your conference 1 time, in like 25 years as a head coach.....

^^^This

How is it even close?

I will take a coach and pay him 100 times the amount for winning 6 conference championships in 10 years to a guy that has only one 1 in 27 years.

But that is just me.

And this ^^^

Collier11
6/29/2009, 02:12 PM
I don't know how to measure 'close', but *Mack* is in the top 10 every year. He has won a national championship and another Rose Bowl. He recruits extremely well, his fan base loves him, and he has raised an incredible amount of money for that university. He is top tier. AGAIN, I would take our guy. But, he has done a very good job.

If you want Top 10 seasons, good recruiting, good bowl games, pretty good integrity, lots of money coming in, and the chance to win the conf or the natl title once a decade then you want mack

If you want Top 10 seasons, good recruiting, good bowl games, pretty good integrity, lots of money coming in, and the chance to win the conf or the natl title 7 times and 4 times in a decade then you want Stoops

htownsooner7
6/29/2009, 02:35 PM
Agreed, thats why I said I would take Stoops. As they say, 'when we agree, we don't have to argue.'

OU_Sooners75
6/29/2009, 03:55 PM
I don't know how to measure 'close', but *Mack* is in the top 10 every year. He has won a national championship and another Rose Bowl. He recruits extremely well, his fan base loves him, and he has raised an incredible amount of money for that university. He is top tier. AGAIN, I would take our guy. But, he has done a very good job.

Top 10...Okay so he has Texas as a media darling...GREAT!

However, he has 1...yeah, just one....conference title in 27 years as a head coach. he has one national championship as well. He as only played for one as well.

Bob Stoops though...is the fastest coach in NCAA history to win 100 games.
He also has played for 7 conference titles...winning 6 of them!
He also has played for 4 national championships...winning one of them!
All of this in just 10 short seasons!

Yeah....it is not even close!

Jello Biafra
6/29/2009, 04:09 PM
how did all of those titles work out for him at north carolina...NEVER won the big one there. even against bowden who we are what 3 and O against?

Salt City Sooner
6/29/2009, 08:05 PM
how did all of those titles work out for him at north carolina...NEVER won the big one there. even against bowden who we are what 3 and O against?
4-0 actually, & very soon to be 5-0. The only time FSU has beaten OU was back in the '65 Gator Bowl when Biletnikoff totally went off on us.

SoonerKnight
7/1/2009, 07:02 PM
Texas sucks this is the truth! Everyone knows it that is why OU makes it to the big game 4 years out of 10!!! HAHAHAHA!

JLEW1818
7/2/2009, 02:22 AM
*Texas* sucks this is the truth! Everyone knows it that is why OU makes it to the big game 4 years out of 10!!! HAHAHAHA!

:hot: :hot: :hot: