PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated teams this year...Pete Fiutak says,

Collier11
6/18/2009, 11:29 AM
Isnt he the the one that some of you say hates OU?

Here is the full article http://cfn.scout.com/2/873231.html

Q: The most overrated team will be ... ?

A: Ole Miss. The love has been off the charts following a surprise season. Everyone will have the Rebels somewhere in the top ten, and the Sporting News has them No. 5 overall, but I'm not buying in quite yet.

When gushing about Ole Miss, everyone seems to point out the relatively favorable schedule. First of all, ranking teams in the preseason should be about how good the teams are and not where they'll end up (this is the fundamental flaw in how many do rankings, but that's for another time). Second, the schedule is going to be tougher than it looks.

Don't assume wins at South Carolina and Vanderbilt to start the SEC season. The Commodores are going to be almost as strong as last year, and certainly better on offense, while the Gamecocks will be strong among the starting 22. Just because Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee and LSU have to come to Oxford, that won't guarantee wins.

The defensive back seven will be decent, but not elite. It'll get helped immensely by the pass rush, while the offensive line isn't going to be consistent enough to hold up week in and week out against the top SEC defensive fronts. And then there's the pressure factor.

It's one thing to have no real expectations and to come out of the blue in a down year for the SEC, but it's another to have the bull's-eye on your back. Everyone in the SEC West will be better, and Tennessee and South Carolina, also on the schedule, will have improved. Of course, everyone points to the win over Florida as evidence of how good the team was, and will be, but 1) about six things had to happen, from just missed post patterns to a fourth down stop to a missed kick to a blown coverage, to beat the Gators. No excuses, Ole Miss made plays when the Gators didn't, but that was a strange sort of perfect storm upset. 2) Ole Miss lost the two games following the win in Gainesville.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very, very good team, but it's not among the five best in America, and for those who try to project, this won't turn out to be one of the five best in the country.

Four of my other top five overrated teams ...

2. Virginia Tech - Unless there's some semblance of a passing game unearthed over the next two months, the Hokies are going to get swarmed over by the Alabama run defense in the season-opener. The O line isn't good enough for the team to be in the top ten.

3. Boise State - I always get yelled at whenever I dare to suggest that playing in the WAC is the main reason for the great record over the years, but this isn't a top 15 based on talent with lines that aren't top 20-worthy and a suspect receiving corps. Would you take Boise State over Georgia, who's ranked lower in almost every preseason poll, on a neutral field in the season opener? Of course you wouldn't.

4. Ohio State - If you're going by what the record will be, OSU is a top ten team. It'll finish up 10-2, 9-3 at worst. If you're going by how good the team is going into the season, it belongs around 15-to-20.

5. Texas - It's all relative. Everyone feels bad about what happened to the Longhorns last year so they're the automatic No. 2 pick over Oklahoma. I have a gut feeling that the Sooners, rebuilt O line and all, are better, and I have another gut feeling (or maybe it's the burrito I ate) that there will be at least two losses (OU and Oklahoma State)

soonervegas
6/18/2009, 12:09 PM
I have that same feeling......

OU vs. OSU on 11/28 might be kind of a big deal.

JLEW1818
6/18/2009, 12:11 PM
ditto

but i do like V. Tech this year a lot... if they beat Alabama game one.

RedstickSooner
6/18/2009, 12:18 PM

It might be, but it shouldn't be. Any season where the Pokies are considered even top-20 material, something is wrong with how the stars have aligned.

The only exception should be when they have Barry Sanders on their squad.

OSU being decent is like that aberration where Kansas State was decent for all those years under Snyder. It just shouldn't be possible.

IronHorseSooner
6/18/2009, 12:21 PM
Ding, ding, ding! And, we have a WINNER!!!

Ole Miss: Is it everybody likes them, or just the D-bag Snead? He won't have a class act and All-Everything LT like Oher protecting his hind end. They will lose to LSU, 'Bama, and maybe Arky.

V-Tech: I disagree with him on that one. I saw them in person last year in ACC Title Game. If they beat 'Bama (who will have a brand-new QB and LT), they will roll through the ACC. They have outstanding Special Teams and a good Defense.

Boise State: Agreed! Just why are they ranked that high? They must replace their best RB in school history. It must be the schedule.

tOSU: Hit the nail on the head. Whereas I think they can beat SUC, they still must prove that they can be a team with great speed. The fact that they could beat SUC just says how overrated I think that they are. They won't beat Joe Pa in Happy Valley.

Texas: Finally somebody says what everybody is afraid to say. It is PC to pick Texas and ding OU. But their O-Line is greatly overrated, have a questionable running, and everybody will be taking shots at Colt all year. At least 2 losses (OU and OSU), maybe Aggie and, GASP, BAYLOR in Waco!

I would replace V Tech with SUC. SUC will be loaded on OL, WR, RB, and safety. However, they will be breaking in a new QB and front seven. You just can't place that overnight, I don't care who you have. At least on OUr OL, we have some guys coming in who have some game reps (T-Will, Brandon, Good, and Simmons). They have a beast of a schedule, that is tough right out of the gate. I don't care if Barkley is that good, if Corp has picked up the offense, or if Mustain can step in, we have seen even with great 1st year QBs in recent memory (Sam, Colt, Pryor) that they will drop a couple just because they are young and have to learn how to play against guys who won't let up on you.

OUAlumni1990
6/18/2009, 12:27 PM
spot on analysis

Eielson
6/18/2009, 12:53 PM
If OSU wants to win they better get up by at least 60 before that fourth quarter starts.

CobraKai
6/18/2009, 12:54 PM
I was assuming Pete would have had us on the list. I was already planning to open this thread and bash him for being an idiot that always rips OU. Instead I would like to commend him on not being an idiot.

Collier11
6/18/2009, 01:01 PM
touche' ;)

soonerfan28
6/18/2009, 01:20 PM
Notre Dame is my second favorite team in college football, but I think they are extremely overrated.

Collier11
6/18/2009, 01:21 PM
Youre an OU fan who roots for ND? :eek:

soonerfan28
6/18/2009, 01:23 PM
Scary isn't it. Even though they broke the 47 game streak. I think I started watching them when Reggie Brooks (Tulsa BTW grad) was there and I real liked Lou as a coach. Can't stand him on ESPN though.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/18/2009, 01:23 PM

I would have to say that doesn't exist prior to this thread.

soonerfan28
6/18/2009, 01:26 PM
I would have to say that it's the flip w/my brother. He roots for ND first and OU second.

OUstud
6/18/2009, 04:24 PM
As I said on the 4 Surprise Teams thread, Ole Miss won't be any better than 8-4. Good to see one talking head knows they're overrated.

JLEW1818
6/18/2009, 04:47 PM
Ole Miss did win their last 6 games... i think they will be alright. 10-2 type .

TMcGee86
6/18/2009, 05:14 PM
In my Online NCAA09 dynasty, Ole Miss lost that game vs. Arkansas last night 27-7.

And they had already lost to Auburn the week before.

So this guy might be on to something.

Octavian
6/18/2009, 05:29 PM
wait, wait, wait.....someone likes OU and Notre Dame? Why? How?

Human sacrifice....dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria!!

and yes -- Tejas has some holes in the armor....they played over their heads last year. However, that sympathy-driven narrative wont change until we beat them.

but really? Notre Dame? :bsmf:

bent rider
6/18/2009, 05:30 PM

You ate the same burrito? ;)

the_ouskull
6/18/2009, 07:11 PM

To them... same as it is every year to them.

the_ouskull

OSUAggie
6/18/2009, 07:49 PM

On that day, two teams are going to play. One will maybe be the best team in college football and the other one will be a darn good football team. We're going to figure out which one is which.

Or so we're told, and what not.

;)

AlbqSooner
6/18/2009, 07:52 PM

I checked his profile. He is not old enough to remember.;)

goingoneight
6/18/2009, 10:17 PM
:les: WE'VE WON 16 OF THE LAST 103!!! [hairGel]

sooner ngintunr
6/18/2009, 10:25 PM
I would have to say that doesn't exist prior to this thread.

2nd that, esp coming from someone who lives in Tulsa. So much for hometown love.

I never did get "my 2nd favorite team" crap. I knew a FU fan whose 2nd fav was tOSU....... huh? does not compute. You might as well say "yeah I really don't like CFB that much"

GeorgiaTider
6/19/2009, 10:22 AM
wait, wait, wait.....someone likes OU and Notre Dame? Why? How? ...
but really? Notre Dame? :bsmf:

I think the Notre Dame AKA Golden Domers is a joke. Well, I hope it is.