PDA

View Full Version : interesting reggie smith interview with al

starclassic tama
6/17/2009, 07:11 PM
just now. al asked him why it seems like so many OU players get hurt in the NFL, and reggie said that schmidt's workouts at OU were WAY more demanding and difficult than those in the NFL. pretty interesting, i never would have guessed that. the rest of the interview was pretty straight forward, he said he doesn't know much about the QB situation in san fran, said he was impressed with bradford from the minute he stepped foot on campus, and he sounded pretty perturbed about the bowl losses question. said we wouldn't be talking about the florida loss if we made the rudimentary plays on the goal line.

OSUAggie
6/17/2009, 07:16 PM
So they get hurt in the pros because the workouts are easier?

CK Sooner
6/17/2009, 07:19 PM

That's what I was wondering...

:confused:

starclassic tama
6/17/2009, 07:21 PM
my guess is he was insinuating that OU took a high toll on the player's bodies, making them more easily injured in the pros. i don't buy it. players get injured all the time in the NFL from all different schools.

CK Sooner
6/17/2009, 07:22 PM
Reggie had a good point about the Florida game though..

sooner59
6/17/2009, 10:25 PM
my guess is he was insinuating that OU took a high toll on the player's bodies, making them more easily injured in the pros. i don't buy it. players get injured all the time in the NFL from all different schools.

Could be true, but another way to look at it might be that the OU players are kept in superb shape while in college and when they get in the NFL, the workouts are not as demanding. Therefore, in the NFL the players are conditioned to a certain point, and after that it is up to the player to condition themselves further. If the player does not push themself then that might leave them vulnerable to injury. Not saying that is what he was implying, but its another way to look at it. I always heard how tough Schmitty was, and that lead me to believe ex-OU players may actually "lose" some condition in the NFL. Just a thought. Getting a paycheck might leave some players less motivated to push themself.....obviously AD is not one of them, he is a beast.

OUDoc
6/18/2009, 08:44 AM
Could be true, but another way to look at it might be that the OU players are kept in superb shape while in college and when they get in the NFL, the workouts are not as demanding. Therefore, in the NFL the players are conditioned to a certain point, and after that it is up to the player to condition themselves further. If the player does not push themself then that might leave them vulnerable to injury. Not saying that is what he was implying, but its another way to look at it. I always heard how tough Schmitty was, and that lead me to believe ex-OU players may actually "lose" some condition in the NFL. Just a thought. Getting a paycheck might leave some players less motivated to push themself.....obviously AD is not one of them, he is a beast.
That's how I would read it. The fact our players have less injuries in college than in the NFL leads me to believe they were in better physical shape at OU. Though the opponents are bigger and stronger, so that factors into it too.

JLEW1818
6/18/2009, 11:52 AM
i still cant get the muffed punt against colorado out of my head...

when i read or hear the name Reggie Smith, that's the first think that comes to mind....

Same with Mark Bradley

i still love em tho

Collier11
6/18/2009, 11:54 AM
Ive heard that before, Schmidt works their arses to get them in prime shape

soonerfan28
6/18/2009, 01:24 PM

I've heard that before. It seems like Teddy Lehman said that a few years ago.

TXBOOMER
6/18/2009, 06:50 PM
i still cant get the muffed punt against colorado out of my head...

when i read or hear the name Reggie Smith, that's the first think that comes to mind....

Same with Mark Bradley

i still love em tho

That was not a good game for Reggie in coverage either. Altitude got to him late in the game. That was one of those games we were going to lose no matter what. C'mon bro don't bring that game up. Now I'm focking pist off. :D

JLEW1818
6/18/2009, 09:41 PM
That was not a good game for Reggie in coverage either. Altitude got to him late in the game. That was one of those games we were going to lose no matter what. C'mon bro don't bring that game up. Now I'm focking pist off. :D

lol, my bad.... i hate playing @ Colorado.

goingoneight
6/18/2009, 10:23 PM
Reggie wasn't making an excuse in the interview. He was stating that the workouts here are real intense and once you're off in the NFL... it's kind of up to you how hard you push yourself versus the bootcamp-style training of Schmidt.
That right there tells me we've got a great S&C program. We can't help it that some guys slack off once they're away from Drill Sergeant Schmiddy, but we can make damn sure our guys aren't a bunch of softies out on our time.

JLEW1818
6/18/2009, 10:24 PM
he did have a hell of a game against texas in 07

goingoneight
6/18/2009, 11:02 PM
I liked it when Colt threw it his way (since he had Sweed locked down all day) and Reggie just reached up and slapped it away like... "yeah, right..."

JLEW1818
6/19/2009, 12:28 AM
I liked it when *Colt* threw it his way (since he had Sweed locked down all day) and Reggie just reached up and slapped it away like... "yeah, right..."

Reggie Smith..... see minute 3, and 3:30

enjoy my friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRqcRD5M0iU

Crucifax Autumn
6/19/2009, 01:24 AM
That entire video is a thing of beauty. I hope Demarco is playing like that again and I think this D will make that one look like chumps!

JLEW1818
6/19/2009, 01:31 AM
That entire video is a thing of beauty. I hope Demarco is playing like that again and I think this D will make that one look like chumps!

DUDE IF YOU WANT SOMETHING TO REALLY GET YOU FREAKING GOING ( DON'T GET ME WRONG VIDEOS ARE A HUGE TEASE THIS TIME OF YEAR) TURN YOUR VOLUME WAY UP AND SCREEN REAL BIG AND LISTEN TO THIS!!!!

this will make you want to fight people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=599hDYzvaKQ

Crucifax Autumn
6/19/2009, 01:39 AM
Nothing to fight about...simms was a fag, whorns are wussies, White was Awesome, Superman was a god, Lehman was a beast, Stoops is the man, FLAG FUGGIN' PLANTED....This year we bury them on the field and when we palnt the flag it pierces their heart!

JLEW1818
6/19/2009, 01:46 AM
i think that might be the best sooner video on youtube.....

i give Brent credit

Collier11
6/19/2009, 08:33 AM
jlew, you suck at posting links. That one doesnt work either

picasso
6/19/2009, 08:45 AM
just now. al asked him why it seems like so many OU players get hurt in the NFL, and reggie said that schmidt's workouts at OU were WAY more demanding and difficult than those in the NFL. pretty interesting, i never would have guessed that. the rest of the interview was pretty straight forward, he said he doesn't know much about the QB situation in san fran, said he was impressed with bradford from the minute he stepped foot on campus, and he sounded pretty perturbed about the bowl losses question. said we wouldn't be talking about the florida loss if we made the rudimentary plays on the goal line.

I know a former player's father really well and the dude said Schmidt wears down some good players. says his system doesn't help guys who are disadvantaged in the talent department.
he also said his trainer he hired after he graduated from OU told him that the OU team looked worn out and already beaten prior to the USC hammering in '04.

Collier11
6/19/2009, 08:49 AM
Makes zero sense, how could getting you in prime physical shape wear you down and make you worse, especially if you are not the greatest talent. It could only help you and sounds like a player whining to his dad. Schmidt is known throughout CFB as one of the two or three best Strength coaches

picasso
6/19/2009, 08:51 AM
Makes zero sense, how could getting you in prime physical shape wear you down and make you worse, especially if you are not the greatest talent. It could only help you and sounds like a player whining to his dad. Schmidt is known throughout CFB as one of the two or three best Strength coaches

are you not an athlete? You get worn out in practice and in training and have nothing left in the tank when game time rolls around.
imagine playing in a national title game the first day after two a days in August.

picasso
6/19/2009, 08:52 AM
oh and I think his point was that if you were already fast and strong, the system helped but not in his case.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/19/2009, 08:53 AM
I know a former player's father really well and the dude said Schmidt wears down some good players. says his system doesn't help guys who are disadvantaged in the talent department.
he also said his trainer he hired after he graduated from OU told him that the OU team looked worn out and already beaten prior to the USC hammering in '04.

I've heard that before myself...I'm not a trainer, so I don't have a clue, but I know that some of the rumblings I heard was that he had some of the players trying to do more than what their body can do...not to mention the rumors of other things that didn't sound so good

Collier11
6/19/2009, 08:53 AM
I played sports my whole life(irrelevant), first of all Schmidt does alot less with the players during the season, 2nd of all Stoops has control over this, not Schmidt, 3rd of all if you are a lesser athlete Schmidt is going to nothing but make you better, finally, this is a BS excuse. You train hard so when the 4th qt rolls around you are the team that ends up on top.

Collier11
6/19/2009, 08:54 AM
I've heard that before myself...I'm not a trainer, so I don't have a clue, but I know that some of the rumblings I heard was that he had some of the players trying to do more than what their body can do...not to mention the rumors of other things that didn't sound so good

A good coach will push you to do things you thought you could never do, you know that STEP

Collier11
6/19/2009, 08:58 AM
Picasso im not coming down on you, im just saying I think it is a BS excuse if the players are using it as one

stoops the eternal pimp
6/19/2009, 09:00 AM
No, I know that...but lets take a bench press and say you max out at 315...you don't put 495 on there and say give me 3 reps...thats purely hypothetical, but thats what he was getting at...it was that type of thing..

Sooner04
6/19/2009, 09:06 AM
We used to be A LOT better in the 4th quarter than we are now.

picasso
6/19/2009, 09:12 AM
I played sports my whole life(irrelevant), first of all Schmidt does alot less with the players during the season, 2nd of all Stoops has control over this, not Schmidt, 3rd of all if you are a lesser athlete Schmidt is going to nothing but make you better, finally, this is a BS excuse. You train hard so when the 4th qt rolls around you are the team that ends up on top.

if you played sports it is relevant. especially if you've played football. there's a reason the weekly practice schedule lightens up closer to game day.

Collier11
6/19/2009, 09:15 AM
I realize that, and im pretty sure that Stoops is in control of the practice sched from Aug-Jan

picasso
6/19/2009, 09:17 AM
I realize that, and im pretty sure that Stoops is in control of the practice sched from Aug-Jan

dude, I wasn't being literal. I was referring to the workouts prior to our bowl games. and I think Stoops changed that a bit after the USC debacle.

JLEW1818
6/19/2009, 01:50 PM
jlew, you suck at posting links. That one doesnt work either

you sure? it works on mine? try it again and let me know.

Collier11
6/19/2009, 08:01 PM
NO

SoonerShark
6/21/2009, 10:50 AM
No muffed punt at CU and we would have been in the 2007 championship game. If we had done the right mental things on the UF goal line we might have had two championships in a row, 2007 and 2008, other than the fact we had would have had to play two SEC teams on basically home fields two years in a row. Of course, we would have played the OSU rather than the LeSu in New Orleans, so no home field advantage SEC in the 2007 championship game in January 2008.

JLEW1818
6/21/2009, 01:39 PM
No muffed punt at CU and we would have been in the 2007 championship game. If we had done the right mental things on the UF goal line we might have had two championships in a row, 2007 and 2009, other than the fact we had would have had to play two SEC teams on basically home fields two years in a row. Of course, we would have played the OSU rather than the LeSu in New Orleans, so no home field advantage SEC in the 2007 championship game in January 2008.

that stuff still haunts me.........