PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 coaches' records -- as HC & AC

meoveryouxinfinity
6/17/2009, 06:39 PM
This is kinda interesting. Bob is #1, like always. Mack is #8. Ha!

Big 12 coaches' records -- as head coach and assistant (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-10-88/Big-12-coaches--records----as-head-coach-and-assistant.html)

June 17, 2009 6:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

Minnesota coach and former Texas assistant Tim Brewster got himself into some hot water last week when news surfaced about him claiming his record as a head coach and assistant as his coaching record on the Minnesota Web site.

Brewster earlier claimed his career coaching record was 113-61-1, which would be true if you included his record as an assistant and a head coach.

Brewster's current record as a head coach after two seasons at Minnesota is 8-17 with a five-game losing streak heading into the season.

So while Brewster is technically correct, the inference is that the record was generated with him as the head coach.

That controversy got me thinking about examining all of the Big 12 coaches and giving their backgrounds and coaching records a careful check.

Bob Stoops' teams were 6-16 in his first two seasons as an assistant with a 5-6 record at Kent State in 1988 and a 1-10 record at Kansas State in 1989. But his coaching helped his teams improve immeasurably later in his career as an assistant. His last three teams at Florida, from 1996-98, went a combined 32-5. And his final three teams at Kansas State went 28-7-1.

Mike Gundy labored at some struggling jobs early in his career. His team didn't fashion a winning record as an assistant until the 13th season of his career when the 2002 Oklahoma State team went 8-5. But he had some bad previous jobs as an assistant, working at Oklahoma State, Baylor and Maryland before returning to Oklahoma State to work under Les Miles.

But no Big 12 coach has had more fortunate situations than Nebraska coach Bo Pelini, who jumped from quarterbacks coach at Cardinal Mooney High School in Youngstown, Ohio, in 1993 to a job coaching defensive backs with the San Francisco 49ers the following season.

All but one of Pelini's teams have had above .500 records in his 14-season career as an assistant. And that one was a 1999 New England Patriots team that went 8-8. In Pelini's final four seasons as a college assistant -- the 2004 season at Oklahoma and 2005-07 at LSU -- his teams were a combined 46-7.

Here's a look at how Big 12 coaches would be ranked if their career records as a head coach and as an assistant were combined. For the purpose of this study, only records at four-year colleges and NFL teams have been included. That determination hurts Baylor coach Art Briles, who compiled a Stoops-like 172-42-4 record coaching high school teams in **Texas**.

The winning percentages were figures with the determination that ties count as a half win, half loss.

Here's the list, go to the link to see the percentages.
Bob Stoops, Oklahoma
Bo Pelini, Nebraska
Bill Snyder, KSU
Dan Hawkins, Colorado
Mike Leach, Texas Tech
Mark Mangino, Kansas
Gary Pinkel, Missouri
Mack Brown, Texas
Mike Sherman, Texas A&M
Art Briles, Baylor
Paul Rhoads, Iowa State
Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State

sooner59
6/17/2009, 10:27 PM
Anybody else notice that Mr. "I'm a man, i'm 40" was last?

Crucifax Autumn
6/17/2009, 11:59 PM
I'm not surprised by either first or last!

rainiersooner
6/18/2009, 06:29 PM
Anybody else notice that Mr. "I'm a man, i'm 40" was last?

That's because he's had some bad jobs...oh wait, he still has a bad job.

MyT Oklahoma
6/18/2009, 10:24 PM
Mack who?

jumperstop
6/19/2009, 12:27 AM
Bob's record as an AC was pretty good, but his record as HC is dominant.

Crucifax Autumn
6/19/2009, 01:24 AM
Using the word "dominant" correctly spek!

SteelClip49
6/19/2009, 02:14 PM
Sherman had some impressive wins as an assistant for those Aggie teams in the early to mid 90s.

Pelini got himself a bogus national title with the Bayou Buttholes and was a member of the last 49ers Super Bowl win.

Pinkel was very good for several seasons at Toledo.

Mackie had some damn fine years at a basketball school in Chapel Hill, went 11-1 in 1997 with the lone loss coming to the Noles.

MiccoMacey
6/19/2009, 04:11 PM
Bob's record as an AC was pretty good, but his record as HC is dominant.

Bob was an Air Conditioner?

meoveryouxinfinity
6/19/2009, 08:38 PM
Bob was an Air Conditioner?

the man is cool. :cool: