PDA

View Full Version : Good Morning...Don't fire until you see the whites of thier eyes.

Okla-homey
6/17/2009, 06:43 AM
June 17, 1775: The Battle of Bunker Hill

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/5701/bunkermap.gif

234 years ago today, during the American Revolution, British General William Howe lands his troops on the Charlestown peninsula overlooking Boston and leads them against Breed's Hill, a fortified American position just below Bunker Hill.

As the British advanced in columns against the Americans, Patriot General William Prescott reportedly told his men, "Don't one of you fire until you see the whites of their eyes!" in an attempt to overt wasteful and ineffective premature musketry.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/6586/bunkerwhites.jpg
Prescott issuing his famous order

When the Redcoats were within 40 yards, the Americans let loose with a lethal barrage of musket fire, cutting down nearly 100 enemy troops and throwing the British into retreat.

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/3367/bunker20080706214625bat.jpg

After reforming his lines, Howe attacked again, with much the same result. However, Prescott's men were now low on ammunition, and when Howe led his men up the hill for a third time, they reached the redoubts and engaged the Americans in hand-to-hand combat. The outnumbered Americans were forced to retreat.

The British had won the so-called Battle of Bunker Hill, and Breed's Hill and the Charlestown peninsula fell firmly under British control. Despite losing their strategic positions, the battle was a morale-builder for the Americans, who had suffered far fewer casualties than their enemy while demonstrating that they could conduct war effectively against the British.

King Crimson
6/17/2009, 06:54 AM
frickin lobsterbacks.

OUMallen
6/17/2009, 09:41 AM
Like the whorns of the 18th century.

OklahomaTuba
6/17/2009, 11:22 AM
Racists, all of em.

Okla-homey
6/17/2009, 08:10 PM
Racists, all of em.

The New Englanders and British outlawed human chattel slavery a long time before the US gubmint did. Just sayin';)

soonerscuba
6/17/2009, 08:13 PM
The New Englanders and British outlawed human chattel slavery a long time before the US gubmint did. Just sayin';)To this day, Boston is a noted bastion of love with no regard to race, color or creed.

Okla-homey
6/17/2009, 08:14 PM
To this day, Boston is a noted bastion of love with no regard to race, color or creed.

pfft. Stillwater is a bastion of love with no regard to breed.

Preservation Parcels
6/17/2009, 11:50 PM
Good history, Homey. Thanks.

StoopTroup
6/18/2009, 11:56 AM
I wonder if Sicem actually used this little phrase on his last outing? :D

SicEmBaylor
6/20/2009, 01:35 AM
I wonder if Sicem actually used this little phrase on his last outing? :D

I didn't employ the phrase, vocally, but I did employ the strategy. I waited to fire upon a patrol of 82nd Pathfinders until they were within point blank range on the road into Vierville from St. Mere Eglise.

I got about 8 or so before they realized my position and sent my *** to the dead zone.

Also managed a hit on a Free French officer.

yermom
6/20/2009, 01:38 AM
you get his number?