PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Teen Gets 23 Years in Prison for Killing Mother Over Video Game

CK Sooner
6/16/2009, 04:58 PM
ELYRIA, Ohio — A northeast Ohio teen who shot and killed his mother and wounded his minister father was sentenced Tuesday to 23 years in prison for crimes rooted in his obsession with video games with violent themes.

Daniel Petric, 17, who could have gotten life without parole, shook his head slightly, sniffled and held back tears but sat down without saying a word when given the chance by Lorain County Common Pleas Judge James Burge.

Petric's eyes were red from crying when his father, Mark Petric, asked the judge to be lenient and said his son regrets killing his mother and reminds his father often that he is glad his father survived.

"He's told me that many times," said Mark Petric. As for his mother, Daniel Petric's frequent comment is "Dad, I miss mom. I miss mom," the father said.

"He still does not understand why he did something so terrible," Mark Petric told the judge.

The prosecution disputed the contention that Petric had shown remorse for the crimes and asked for the maximum sentence.

Besides his father, Petric's sister, grandfather and other family members attended the hearing in Elyria, about 20 miles southeast of Cleveland. Some wiped away tears.

Petric was convicted of shooting his parents in October 2007 after they took the game "Halo 3" away from him. The judge had said the teen was so obsessed over a video game that he may have believed that, like the characters in the game, death wasn't real.

The defense claimed his age and addiction to the game made him less responsible.

In the video game "Halo 3," players shoot alien monsters that have taken over the Earth.

XingTheRubicon
6/16/2009, 05:07 PM
Whad ya kill Jesse fer, whad ya kill Jesse fer

Red October
6/16/2009, 06:21 PM
In the meantime, Stallworth gets only 30 days for running over a construction worker in his Bentley while driving drunk

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?prov=ap&slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&type=lgns

JLEW1818
6/16/2009, 06:43 PM
The judge had said the teen was so obsessed over a video game that he may have believed that, like the characters in the game, death wasn't real.

interesting..... the kid still should be shot in my opinion...but now Ohio is gonna have to pay more to keep him alive....

Sooner_Bob
6/16/2009, 08:45 PM
In the meantime, Stallworth gets only 30 days for running over a construction worker in his Bentley while driving drunk

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?prov=ap&slug=ap-stallworth-pedestriankilled&type=lgns

I can't believe he got off that easy . . .

Czar Soonerov
6/16/2009, 11:24 PM
Just wait til' his mom re-spawns and takes his *** out with the Spartan Laser. ;)

CK Sooner
6/16/2009, 11:26 PM
Just wait til' his mom re-spawns and takes his *** out with the Spartan Laser. ;)

LMAO!

:P

OUstud
6/16/2009, 11:54 PM

On espn.com right now the lead story is crucifying Sosa for something we've known for years. This Stallworth thing is on the side. Sad how out of whack priorities have become.

tommieharris91
6/17/2009, 12:01 AM
interesting..... the kid still should be shot in my opinion...but now Ohio is gonna have to pay more to keep him alive....

Homey will tell you how it costs more to keep someone on death row than letting them rot in prison... well, he has said that before.

JLEW1818
6/17/2009, 12:02 AM
could be... but he does not need death row.... he just needs to be shot..... like tomorrow!!!!!!

TheHumanAlphabet
6/17/2009, 09:21 AM

Not getting that one... Hell people get 30 days for urinating in public...

the_ouskull
6/17/2009, 02:09 PM
On espn.com right now the lead story is crucifying Sosa for something we've known for years. This Stallworth thing is on the side. Sad how out of whack priorities have become.

Baseball's in season. Football isn't.

..and you're right, by the way.

the_ouskull

John Kochtoston
6/17/2009, 11:14 PM
Baseball's in season. Football isn't.

..and you're right, by the way.

the_ouskull

It's always football season.

My Opinion Matters
6/18/2009, 08:48 AM
It's always football season.

Well played.

StoopTroup
6/18/2009, 11:25 AM
I like the idea of a "Running Man" kind of thing where you put the kid in a Halo3 situation where he's an alien and we let all the on-line Halo3 players hunt him down.

Stallworth could be handled the same way. We get a bunch of Grand Theft Auto Players all juiced up driving cars in a controlled enviroment and put Stallworth on foot. Tell him if he lasts 24 hours...he's free to go.