PDA

View Full Version : Sooner Legends Hotel

SOONERnTx
6/15/2009, 10:31 PM
Just curious if anyone has stayed at this hotel and how you would rate it if you have. I plan on bringing some friends and family to stay here this season! Any other info anyone has would be helpful.

PSchu888
6/15/2009, 10:34 PM
We got reservations a year in advance for the Nebraska game. The Thursday before the game we got a call that we had been booted because ESPN needed rooms. No compensation whatsoever. I wouldn't stay there if it was the last place in Norman. Find somewhere else.

SoonerStormchaser
6/15/2009, 10:44 PM
I got a room there for my best man when the missus and I got married in 07...I thought the rooms were decent.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/16/2009, 11:22 AM
I remember when it was a Ramada - it was there in 1978 as I drove into Norman for the first time, can't remember if it was a Ramada then or not. It is old, but they have redone the rooms nicely. The photos and OU stuff is very nice, nice to reminisce as I walk the halls. The restaurant isn't bad either. Depends what you are looking for, I tried it for two nights, it was nice, but it isn't as nice as say a national chain. Then again, you are supporting a local business.

PSchu888 - I wouldn't necessarily expect compensation, except refund deposit. I would expect them to find or rebook me at a comparable place. That stuff happens frequently, and I would say a Nebraska game might fall under force majeure.

RedstickSooner
6/16/2009, 11:45 AM
I remember when it was a Ramada - it was there in 1978 as I drove into Norman for the first time, can't remember if it was a Ramada then or not. It is old, but they have redone the rooms nicely. The photos and OU stuff is very nice, nice to reminisce as I walk the halls. The restaurant isn't bad either. Depends what you are looking for, I tried it for two nights, it was nice, but it isn't as nice as say a national chain. Then again, you are supporting a local business.

PSchu888 - I wouldn't necessarily expect compensation, except refund deposit. I would expect them to find or rebook me at a comparable place. That stuff happens frequently, and I would say a Nebraska game might fall under force majeure.

Surely someone else had booked with less advance warning -- if you book your room a full year ahead of time, that reservation should be rock-solid.

The only thing which should give you the boot at that point is if, say, the President is staying at the hotel and the secret service kicks *everyone* out. Or the place burns down.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/16/2009, 01:33 PM
Ummmm ...just stay at the new Embassy Suites.

JLEW1818
6/16/2009, 01:49 PM
Ummmm ...just stay at the new Embassy Suites.

or stay at the Bradford house.... like me and you are doing... :)

meoveryouxinfinity
6/16/2009, 04:22 PM
or stay at the Bradford house.... like me and you are doing... :)

oh are we?

JLEW1818
6/16/2009, 04:23 PM
oh are we?

yah.... but the Stoops family might get upset... i promised Bob I'd hang out with the twins.......

Mjcpr
6/16/2009, 04:23 PM
I stayed at the Marriott just off I-35 and Hwy 9 and it was nice enough. Starting to show its age but still plenty nice enough.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/16/2009, 04:25 PM
yah.... but the Stoops family might get upset... i promised Bob I'd hang out with the twins.......

Don't cancel on bob & carol!

King Crimson
6/16/2009, 04:28 PM

it was something between Ramada and Sooner Legends. forget what, but it would have been the Ramada in 78 into the mid 80's, i'd guess. in my "townie" estimation.

JLEW1818
6/16/2009, 04:37 PM
Don't cancel on bob & carol!

Bob said if we win the title, i get to hang with Carol.... :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

OUMallen
6/16/2009, 04:48 PM
PSchu888 - I wouldn't necessarily expect compensation, except refund deposit.

Esp considering that PSchu was probably allowed to cancel anytime up to 24 hours before check-in...

TheHumanAlphabet
6/16/2009, 09:31 PM
Surely someone else had booked with less advance warning -- if you book your room a full year ahead of time, that reservation should be rock-solid.

The only thing which should give you the boot at that point is if, say, the President is staying at the hotel and the secret service kicks *everyone* out. Or the place burns down.

Doesn't often work like that. I got tossed in BTR during Mardi Gras (in NOLA)one year because the people decided to stay longer. Often possession is as they say 9/10. After I wrote a letter and ask my employers travel to ban the hotel in a letter which I copied them, they genuflected real well to me.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/16/2009, 09:32 PM
I stayed at the Marriott just off I-35 and Hwy 9 and it was nice enough. Starting to show its age but still plenty nice enough.

The Marriott used to be a Hilton or Holiday Inn.

MamaMia
6/16/2009, 10:15 PM
Sooner Legends Hotel = **

SOONERnTx
6/16/2009, 10:57 PM
Most of the hotels are already booked up on game weekends so I went ahead and made reservations at Sooner Legends. I hope it will be ok, heard it has a pretty good bar in it!

snp
6/17/2009, 03:25 AM
Worked there for less than a year while I was at school. I prompted my firing when I was told I would have to work gamedays. I called their bluff and lost.

Still can't say anything about the owners or the operation. Awesome decor, great food, decent bar and good location make it hard to beat for a weekend in Norman.

RedstickSooner
6/17/2009, 06:38 AM
Doesn't often work like that. I got tossed in BTR during Mardi Gras (in NOLA)one year because the people decided to stay longer. Often possession is as they say 9/10. After I wrote a letter and ask my employers travel to ban the hotel in a letter which I copied them, they genuflected real well to me.

Ick. Any fondness I have for my place of residence does not extend to staying here for New Orleans Mardi Gras... May as well be in, say, Mississippi or something. Getting to and fro is an enormous hassle. Not to mention the damper it puts on any alcoholic debauchery.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/17/2009, 09:16 AM
Ick. Any fondness I have for my place of residence does not extend to staying here for New Orleans Mardi Gras... May as well be in, say, Mississippi or something. Getting to and fro is an enormous hassle. Not to mention the damper it puts on any alcoholic debauchery.

Yeah, I ended up in a Motel 8 or something as the previous hotel did not bother to find me a new reservation. Not a happy camper on that business trip.

#1 SOONER FAN
6/17/2009, 03:37 PM
I stayed there during the 2007 season and thought it was a really nice place, restaurant was good and room was excellent.

SOONERnTx
6/27/2009, 01:49 PM
do they offer a shuttle to the games?

stoopified
6/27/2009, 08:03 PM
I stayed there three years ago or so.It was right after their grand opening.Jeff Capel had just been hired and was staying there.I actually ran into Jeff as he and my family were both coming in.I think he was returning from a visit back east.In truth I did not recognize him until I saw a story on him on TV.I liked the rooms, and the food,decor is great for Sooner fans.

VMG
6/27/2009, 09:18 PM
As an 'older' OU graduate who returns to the area a few times a year, my sense is that Norman is on the verge of being the community that supports the "OU Sooners Theme Park".

The "... Legends Hotel" contributes to that impression.

Sooner24
6/27/2009, 11:34 PM

You are talking about the Residence Inn correct?

TexasSoonerdad
6/28/2009, 09:36 PM
Most of the hotels are already booked up on game weekends so I went ahead and made reservations at Sooner Legends. I hope it will be ok, heard it has a pretty good bar in it!

We stayed there for every home game last year. I would absolutely recommend it. We have always had a great room and the food is wonderful. You will also get a comp ticket for the breakfast buffet.

Boarder
7/3/2009, 03:42 PM
We got reservations a year in advance for the Nebraska game. The Thursday before the game we got a call that we had been booted because ESPN needed rooms. No compensation whatsoever. I wouldn't stay there if it was the last place in Norman. Find somewhere else.
Alright, hotrod, I know the owner of Sooner Legends so I decided to ask him about your little story. Oh, he knew who you were immediately. The real facts about the case:

Dude booked a room one month in advance, not a year.
ESPN has a contract with the hotel that says the hotel has to provide extra rooms if needed. In this case they had 60 rooms and needed 17 more.
The hotel called the customers, starting with the latest reservation and told them what the deal was. Mr Pchu was one of the last ones (there were approx. 4).
The hotel manager negotiated and offered pchu another room (a suite) at a nearby hotel, for a lower price, and offered to buy him dinner at Sooner Legends restaurant.
Pchu responded by freaking out, threatening to disrupt events that weekend, threatening vandalism, and generally going berserk. He would not accept the other room.
The other people who were bumped were fine and plenty satisfied with the arrangements. No problems there.
The Sooner Legends owner regrets that he didn't file the protection order to keep pchu's lies from being spread about.

So, Mr. Mr., I'd advise you to get your story straight and stop spreading your libelous trash about the internet before you find yourself in some trouble. You're welcome to say that you weren't satisfied with the service, didn't like the food, etc, but to make up this ridiculous "year in advance" sob story could get you in some hot water.

badger
7/3/2009, 03:54 PM
Yeah, if it's not true than it probably should get removed... don't wanna hold sf.com responsible for the spreading of false rumors about a business and stuff. the Aggy board had some issues with a poster trashing the BWW in OKC during the tourney (a very funny read) and I think they had to remove about 20 BWW threads before the week was over. Since you're awesome mod and all, get rid of the post and the quotation in your own.

I once considered that place for a birthday/anniversary gift to my parents, but all the good gameday nights were sold out by the time I made the call. If you want to try the place out, I recommend calling early if you expect to be able to stay there Fri/Sat/Sun on a gameday weekend.

allenrayx
7/3/2009, 04:05 PM

for someone like you i recomend the OU motel a person like you will love it. they used to give you a free pack of smokes just for turning your key back in

JLEW1818
7/3/2009, 04:18 PM
when single season tickets go on sale.... are the only tickets no available OU/UT, OU/BYU, and road games??? Do poke state tickets go on sale?

i gotta find an extra for a buddy

Jay C. Upchurch
7/3/2009, 06:33 PM
Just for the record... I have stayed at Sooner Legends and eaten there a number of times... For Sooner fans, there is no better experience -- the place offers a wonderful journey back through history with its amazing decor, the rooms are incredibly comfortable and the food (and service) are second to none.

If you have the opportunity to stay there, I would highly recommend doing so.

Jay U.

Soonerus
7/3/2009, 07:09 PM
Embassy Suites is the nicest and newest (and probably largest) hotel in Norman currently...

SOONERnTx
7/3/2009, 10:35 PM
I've got reservations at Sooner Legends now all I need are the tickets to the game!! Sounds like I made the right choice in booking with them early. I can't wait to get to Norman. I pretty much disregarded the posters statement about getting booted after a one years notice, just doesn't add up. Anyway thanks for all the input from everyone!

tommieharris91
7/3/2009, 11:15 PM
The food there isn't bad. I don't know anything about the rooms though.

thesnowbishop
7/4/2009, 05:41 PM
Just as a side note, I remember visiting Bob's BBQ when it was with the hotel (don't remember if it was Sooner Legends at the time) and was waited on by a young Rufus Alexander. Nice guy and a good waiter.

SOONERnTx
7/30/2009, 12:43 AM
Got my tickets!!! Now I'm all set........I can't wait!!!!!!!!