PDA

View Full Version : So I guess we know what J.C. Watts is doing with himself these days.

ouflak
6/15/2009, 03:58 AM
http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2009/06/14/wattsx-large.jpg

Washington D.C. tour guide for the BCS (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2009-06-14-lobbyists-cover_N.htm).

JLEW1818
6/15/2009, 07:27 AM
My favorite Oklahoma athlete... ever!

Sooner-N-KS
6/15/2009, 08:19 AM
Not necessarily my favorite Sooner, but he's definitely my favorite politician. He was a fresh breath of honesty in D.C..

OUDoc
6/15/2009, 08:27 AM
Good football player.
Arrogant politician.

sendbaht
6/15/2009, 08:45 AM
I always like the man.

Watching him run the wishbone was really something!

Jacie
6/15/2009, 09:33 AM
So many things to say about this article:

"The BCS, no matter how unpopular they might be, everybody has a right to tell their story," Watts says. "That's the American way."

My mind reels at the image of really unpopular people/ideas throughout history hiring a lobbyist to 'speak' for them. Insert some of your own . . .

The Washington firm of Arent Fox serves that tour-guide role for the Mountain West.

As this firm bills itself the anti-FOX does that mean it only represents ultra liberal/far left political causes?

Rep. Joe Barton, R-Texas, says it is deceptive for the BCS to call its deciding game a national championship and he is sponsoring a bill that would make promotion of it as such illegal under the Federal Trade Commission Act.

Does that mean the NFL can no longer proclaim the winner of the Super Bowl as World Champion?

Watts says. "I don't think you'll find any government affairs shop that believes they're overpaid."

From personal experience (working 20+ years under various government contracts) I know this is to be TRUE.

MamaMia
6/15/2009, 10:21 AM
Hes trying to get legislation passed to sell Oklahomas water to Texas for personal gain.

The Remnant
6/15/2009, 11:48 AM
Let me tell you a story about JC Watts, the man. Several years ago a relative of mine was terminally ill with cancer in the hospital. He took time out of his busy schedule to call her on the phone and wish her well. You may not agree with his politics, but he is a class act.

MamaMia
6/15/2009, 11:57 AM
Let me tell you a story about JC Watts, the man. Several years ago a relative of mine was terminally ill with cancer in the hospital. He took time out of his busy schedule to call her on the phone and wish her well. You may not agree with his politics, but he is a class act.
Other than the fact that his politics could hurt us all if he is able to successfully lobby for the changes Texas wants in the law in order to make it possible for them to use our water to make their state better and Oklahoma suffer, J.C. Watts is a nice person.

picasso
6/15/2009, 11:59 AM
Arrogant politician.

I haven't seen one that isn't.

The Remnant
6/15/2009, 02:45 PM
This web site appears to be turning into The Huffington Post. I admittedly don't know much about Oklahoma politics. I live in California. If you want to dislike Watts for his politics, that is your business.

RedstickSooner
6/15/2009, 03:38 PM
I'm sure I'd disagree with Watts' politics, but this is the football board.

Rip him a new one for supporting the BCS. Not his other politics.

:D

(Oh, and I'm fond of the BCS -- but I know most of you hate it. So that would seem the most appropriate thing to attack him about, really.)

Bosley
6/15/2009, 05:34 PM
Hes trying to get legislation passed to sell Oklahomas water to *Texas* for personal gain.

No he's not.

He represents a Texas organization on various lobbying platforms, but has no involvement with that particular lawsuit.

Scott D
6/15/2009, 06:42 PM
Oh this should be an amusing discussion.

picasso
6/15/2009, 06:47 PM
and for the record, J.C. spoke at my college graduation back in '92 and I went out of my way to shake his hand on stage.:)

GKeeper316
6/15/2009, 07:07 PM
Not necessarily my favorite Sooner, but he's definitely my favorite politician. He was a fresh breath of honesty in D.C..

if by honesty you mean complete waste of space, then ya he was honest.

dude didnt write a single piece of legislation the whole time he was in office.

im all for former athletes using thier names to make money after thier playing days are over, but if you arent smart enough to understand the legislative process, dont waste your constituents time by running for an office you have no idea how to fulfill.

j.c. watts was a great quarterback, but that doesnt qualify him to help decide foreign or domestic policy.

Sooner-N-KS
6/16/2009, 07:26 AM

That's not necessarily a bad thing. There's way too much unnecessary legislation going on. We don't need politicians piling on more and more laws. The government should be getting out of the way, not standing in the way.

Condescending Sooner
6/16/2009, 08:56 AM
He was a long time republican who immediately switched sides and endorsed Obama when he was nominated. Not exactly standing on principles.

MamaMia
6/16/2009, 08:57 AM
No he's not.

He represents a *Texas* organization on various lobbying platforms, but has no involvement with that particular lawsuit.

Thats just what Pruitt would want people to believe, but the fact is that the water issue is actually a federal one even though the lawsuit is state related.

tigepilot
6/16/2009, 09:43 AM
That's not necessarily a bad thing. There's way too much unnecessary legislation going on. We don't need politicians piling on more and more laws. The government should be getting out of the way, not standing in the way.

+1

He was a long time republican who immediately switched sides and endorsed Obama when he was nominated. Not exactly standing on principles.

Didn't know that... if so, I've lost a lot of respect for the man.

The Remnant
6/16/2009, 09:50 AM
Man, and I thought things were bad here in California with the budget problems. I didn't know JC Watts was such a bad person. I heard a rumor that he is actually responsible for the swine flu.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/16/2009, 10:58 AM
I needs to get myself elected to Congress. You can make some good coin afterwards just "being a friend" and "showing people around"... ;)

JLEW1818
6/16/2009, 11:00 AM
Man, and I thought things were bad here in California with the budget problems. I didn't know JC Watts was such a bad person. I heard a rumor that he is actually responsible for the swine flu.

you 2?

TheHumanAlphabet
6/16/2009, 11:00 AM
Yep, voting his community, not principle... I wonder how that will serve him in the future. Then, not so sure McCain would have been a vote for principle either.

Lott's Bandana
6/16/2009, 11:07 AM

And yet, we don't walk in his shoes.

As a private citizen now, he has every right to endorse whomever he pleases and perhaps his dealings with McCain when he was our representative drove this switch more than anything else.

JC Watts has had plenty of opportunity to have a world of accusations thrown at him as an African-American conservative who was part of the "face" of that side of the aisle for many years.

If this thread points out the worst he has done, then I think he has done a pretty remarkable job while being a "target" and he seems to have been consistent with the image of a Faith-inspired athlete we all knew him to be when he was our quarterback.

Sooner-N-KS
6/16/2009, 11:15 AM

I don't think he endorsed Obama. The closest thing I could find was that the McCain campaign shouldn't expect to have his vote automatically......nothing wrong with that.

I found his column written just days after the election. He seems to count himself in the republican camp yet still congratulates Obama for his winning campaign.

Seems like a pretty classy guy to me.

sooner n houston
6/16/2009, 11:23 AM
I don't think he endorsed Obama. The closest thing I could find was that the McCain campaign shouldn't expect to have his vote automatically......nothing wrong with that.

Exactly, and I challenge anyone to provide a link where JC endorsed BO.

RedstickSooner
6/16/2009, 11:41 AM
Still no BCS bashing? I'm surprised.

Lott's Bandana
6/16/2009, 12:49 PM
Still no BCS bashing? I'm surprised.

It's the panty-waist, asshats at teh NCAA that suck.

The BCS is simply a result of that organization's lack of nads to create a real Championship in their biggest sport...the one that funds their existence.

How's that?

RedstickSooner
6/16/2009, 12:53 PM
It's the panty-waist, asshats at teh NCAA that suck.

The BCS is simply a result of that organization's lack of nads to create a real Championship in their biggest sport...the one that funds their existence.

How's that?

Well, I agree (although I blame school Presidents, as I think the NCAA would enjoy a football championship just fine, especially if they could control the cashflow like they do the basketball championship).

The BCS really is the best of a bad situation, and I thank my lucky stars every year we don't have a split championship due to the motherfudgers over in the Rose Bowl. I bet USC would have, like, 6 or 7 split championships at this point if they were playing in the traditional, incestuous matchup between the Slow Tenleven and the Pac-10 every year.

fossil
6/16/2009, 03:54 PM

im all for former athletes using thier names to make money after thier playing days are over, but if you arent smart enough to understand the legislative process, dont waste your constituents time by running for an office you have no idea how to fulfill.

j.c. watts was a great quarterback, but that doesnt qualify him to help decide foreign or domestic policy.

:rolleyes: Not a single piece of legislation? Sounds like Barack Hussein Obama!

fossil
6/16/2009, 03:57 PM
And yet, we don't walk in his shoes.

As a private citizen now, he has every right to endorse whomever he pleases and perhaps his dealings with McCain when he was our representative drove this switch more than anything else.

JC Watts has had plenty of opportunity to have a world of accusations thrown at him as an African-American conservative who was part of the "face" of that side of the aisle for many years.

If this thread points out the worst he has done, then I think he has done a pretty remarkable job while being a "target" and he seems to have been consistent with the image of a Faith-inspired athlete we all knew him to be when he was our quarterback.

:P J.C. just got a case of the 'Colon Powell Syndrome'.

Mad Dog Madsen
6/16/2009, 04:02 PM
My favorite Oklahoma athlete... ever!

Wow... What about the Selmon Bro's, Jim Thorpe, Wayman, etc.?

SoonerStormchaser
6/16/2009, 04:17 PM
Mods, please...give this thread an untimely death. Folks just can't seem to stay on topic anymore like in the olden days!

Scott D
6/16/2009, 04:38 PM
I have it on good authority that JC Watts is being paid by the dental lobby to give Oklahoma's water to Texas so that more people have to visit the dentist for cavities.

GKeeper316
6/16/2009, 05:47 PM

ya well it still takes congress to eliminate existing laws. if he was such a good republican, why wasnt he trying to minimize government?

thats easy... its because, despite what the gop claims to stand for, whenever they're in control, government spending goes up, as does the size of the bureaucracies.

boomermagic
6/18/2009, 03:46 PM
OH I SEE He's a good guy but if he supported Obama just chalk him up as Bad ?

tigepilot
6/18/2009, 05:36 PM

It's pretty bad when the political views he ran with don't even remotely resemble that of Obama. Implies something else. I would say that if the political affiliations were reversed as well.

Still looking for a link to support the assertion that he really did support Obama.

Sooner-N-KS
6/18/2009, 07:14 PM

What if Billy Sims were seen rooting for * to win the Red River Shootout this year? It's kinda the same feeling. However, it's been pointed out that this did not happen.

BHud
6/18/2009, 07:43 PM
x2. I had no idea he had crossed over to The Dark Side.

+1

Didn't know that... if so, I've lost a lot of respect for the man.

BHud
6/18/2009, 07:43 PM

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

boomermagic
6/19/2009, 10:42 AM

Actually, I considered jc an average qb compared to the other wishbone qb's we had.. I don't like his polititics either.. He is a Sooner so I respect that..

boomermagic
6/19/2009, 10:44 AM
Mildren, Davis, Lott and Hollieway were all better qb's... jc was NOT a GREAT qb...

boomermagic
6/19/2009, 11:01 AM
ya well it still takes congress to eliminate existing laws. if he was such a good republican, why wasnt he trying to minimize government?

thats easy... its because, despite what the gop claims to stand for, whenever they're in control, government spending goes up, as does the size of the bureaucracies.

Wait a minute... Did you say Good REPUBLICAN ? That's not possible..:D

sooner n houston
6/19/2009, 12:18 PM
I love how y'all just keep repeating the lie that he supported Obama with no proff what so ever! Asshats!

tigepilot
6/19/2009, 01:06 PM
I love how y'all just keep repeating the lie that he supported Obama with no proff what so ever! Asshats!

Yeah, the only reason I keep following this thread is in case someone can provide some proof.

The Remnant
6/19/2009, 04:06 PM
If anyone has a problem with Republicans then they need to come to California. There are very few of us left here. The pink-pantied, tofu eating,
latte-sipping liberals have been in power for over a decade. The US is going to be just like California in a few years except without the sunny weather and beaches.

Scott D
6/19/2009, 04:44 PM

you mean someone saying he would have no problem if Obama won isn't proof he supported Obama in some twisted minds? ;)

Alum81
6/19/2009, 09:42 PM
you mean someone saying he would have no problem if Obama won isn't proof he supported Obama in some twisted minds? ;)

As a conservative, saying you would have no problem if Obama won doesn't mean that you support Obama as equally as it doesn't mean you support John McCain! I mean, c'mon, if the shoe were on the other foot, would liberals say they had no problem if McCain won when it meant they didn't support Zel Miller as the democratic candidate?

And just so you liberals can understand the correlation, John McCain was NOT the conservative's choice for president - he was put there by the liberal media and the early rounds of state voting (where democrats could vote in republican primary's). He was NOT a voice for conservativism!

Scott D
6/19/2009, 10:50 PM
Next you're going to post a diatribe about how fellow Americans of a differing point of view are "The Enemy" right?

And both liberals and conservatives wonder why I think they're crackheads.

OklaPony
6/20/2009, 11:03 AM
And just so you liberals can understand the correlation, John McCain was NOT the conservative's choice for president - he was put there by the liberal media and the early rounds of state voting (where democrats could vote in republican primary's). He was NOT a voice for conservativism!
^^^ This ^^^

And... my little J.C. Watts story. I used to work in a specialty retail store that was a few blocks from his office in Norman. One afternoon he came in the store and we were absolutely slammed... literally had folks lined up at the counter waiting to pay for their goodies. He quietly and patiently stood in line, waited his turn, complimented us at handling the customers in a timely fashion, and congratulated us on the thriving business.

Class act in my book.

arnold
6/20/2009, 11:44 AM

BHud
6/20/2009, 02:17 PM
J.C. Watts, a former Oklahoma congressman who once was part of the GOP House leadership, said he's thinking of voting for Obama. Watts said he's still a Republican, but he criticizes his party for neglecting the black community. Black Republicans, he said, have to concede that while they might not agree with Democrats on issues, at least that party reaches out to them.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Jun15/0,4670,BlackConservativesObama,00.html

Google is littered with stories about Watts' support of Obama, though there is no consensus as to whether he voted for him or not. However, he certainly supported him, to some degree.

Scott D
6/20/2009, 02:24 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Jun15/0,4670,BlackConservativesObama,00.html

Google is littered with stories about Watts' support of Obama, though there is no consensus as to whether he voted for him or not. However, he certainly supported him, to some degree.

And that's different than the loads of alleged conservative republican types that claimed they'd vote for Obama because McCain wasn't the right candidate for them how?

The Remnant
6/20/2009, 05:25 PM
I think this thread needs to be put out of its misery.