PDA

View Full Version : SMU still optimistic under June Jones . . .

Jacie
6/14/2009, 02:42 PM
. . . but don't expect miracles.

Last year I posted that June Jones' move from Hawaii to Dallas was not a good career move. Replies to that thread mostly disagreed with mine. Let's see how things went on The Hill.

COACH: June Jones (1-11 in one season; 77-51 in 10 seasons overall).

So until last year, his career stats were 76 wins and 40 losses in 9 seasons, a drop of 50 percentage points. Anyone think the Ponies will post a winning record in 2009?

LAST SEASON: 1-11 overall, 0-8 in Conference USA (sixth in C-USA West).
FINAL 2008 RIVALS.COM RANKING: 118th.

Lost to Tulane and UTEP among others.

WEAKNESSES: The running game was horrible last season (41.4 yards per game, with three – three! – rushing touchdowns).

There's that word again! Still, with 8 sophomores projected as starters on offense, you'd think they have to get better than they were last year.

The defense was awful . . .

Unlike the offense, the defense, at least, has more seniors than sophomores among projected starters.

THE BUZZ: Growing pains were severe in Jones' first season,

Understatement

but better days should be ahead. This can be a tough offense to grasp, but Mitchell and his receivers should post solid numbers this season.

If not, then it will be another fruitless season for SMU fans.

After an easy opener, SMU goes on the road for three games in a row, with Game 2 against fellow league bottom-feeder UAB. That should be a good gauge for both teams. Starting Oct. 3 against TCU, SMU plays six games in a row against teams that went to bowls last season.

Doesn't mean that all six of those teams are as good or better than last year but any of them will have to experience a huge drop off to sink to the depths SMU inhabited in 2008.

Still, this could be a five- or even six-win team if things go well.

How often does that happen in college football?

Realistically, though, a four-victory season would be something to celebrate.

I say it again, June Jones left paradise where he was a king for mere money and a hopeless situation with zero job security at SMU.

starclassic tama
6/14/2009, 03:07 PM
slow offseason

bluedogok
6/14/2009, 04:59 PM
He was at a point at Hawaii where he couldn't do anything more than he had already done and they were not going to pay him much more or upgrade facilities, it was a dead end position. Hawaii is not a good job, it is not a "football paradise" it is an isolated island, literally and outrageously expensive. He will make more in Dallas the few years he might be there than he could have staying at Hawaii and Dallas living (even in HP/UP) is much cheaper than Honolulu.

He can make SMU competitive in C-USA, it's not like a Baylor in the Big 12 or Vandy in the SEC. If he does that and can get the program near the level of Tulsa they will keep him there awhile, barring any violations.

goingoneight
6/14/2009, 11:29 PM
I can't tell you how much I believe a "throw it every down, who cares about defense?" plan sounds appealing.

hawaii 5-0
6/15/2009, 04:21 AM
Bluedogok pretty much nailed it. Hawaii wouldn't put up the $$$ for facilities, recruiting or salaries for assistant coaches (June gave them bonuses out of his own pocket).
June Jones turned the Hawaii program around. The year before he came they were winless. In his 1st season he took them to a bowl.
Very much like what Stoops did with the Sooners, but Bob at least inherited some good talent from Blake.
Jones did it from scratch and without the support of the athletic director.

AlbqSooner
6/15/2009, 06:18 AM
Jones offense takes a certain type of player. SMU did not have many of those when he arrived. Give him 3 years and re-evaluate.

Jacie
6/15/2009, 09:47 AM
Hawaii is not a good job, it is not a "football paradise"

I didn't say it was a football paradise, just a run-of-the-mill, all around kind of paradise. Not the sort of place you'd confuse with let's see . . . Dallas?

The year before he came they (Hawaii) were winless. In his 1st season he took them to a bowl.

Apparently, history did not repeat itself in this case.

Jones did it from scratch and without the support of the athletic director.

I believe he has both scratch and support at SMU.

Give him 3 years and re-evaluate.

Does that include last season or is it 3 more? Evaluation of the coming year indicates they will have to overachieve to win four games. I hardly think the most optimistic of SMU supporters will consider that an indication they are back.

Jones pulled a Dan Hawkins but into a deeper quagmire and in my opinion, one he won't be able to climb out of regardless of what offense he runs.

goodonya
6/15/2009, 09:58 AM
The QB Mitchell and TCU's QB Dalton were on the same HS team. I know them well and they are both big time competitors. Watch out for Mitchell this year. Talking to him at the gym last week he told me that Jones has him throwing with gloves on because they needed him to take a little heat off his passes. His receivers weren't able to hang onto them. I asked Bo why June didn't recruit him some better receivers.

soonerfan28
6/15/2009, 06:41 PM
SMU hasn't been good in like 20 years. I think that trend will continue.

bluedogok
6/15/2009, 09:08 PM
The administration at SMU have kept them mediocre ever since coming back from the death penalty, especially in those early years of coming back. There was a concerted effort to keep SMU football as a diversion, they had no commitment to becoming a good team. The Administration has change and the alumni have gotten restless, with that in mind there is no reason why SMU couldn't get to a level on par with Tulsa, and Tulsa was BAD during the Keith Burns era and it took hiring the right person to right the ship. I think Jones can make SMU into something, not a top 30 team but a team competitive in their conference which for the most part would make everyone there ecstatic. They have a much different level of expectations there.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/16/2009, 11:28 AM
I think JJ can win at SMU, I would think they would be at best a .500 team. JJ can be successful, but a good move? Who knows. Perhaps SMU was giving him equipment and facilities UH wasn't willing to give/get. Maybe he got tired of the road trips. Perhaps he wanted to move back to the 48 to retire. Hard to say. On the face of it from a job standpoint, it would seem he traded one head ache for another...