PDA

View Full Version : Dear Marian Hossa,

JohnnyMack
6/13/2009, 09:56 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KU_qLvOMe_s/SZb7N3Yi8XI/AAAAAAAAAas/d4B83yxkYfo/s400/simpsons_nelson_haha3.jpg

Scott D
6/13/2009, 10:26 PM
For all the vitriol that he got from Penguin fans over his choice, if he'd gone for the money grab he wouldn't have played for either Pittsburgh or Detroit, he'd have plyed his trade in Edmonton.

JohnnyMack
6/13/2009, 10:33 PM
You're just trying to make yourself feel better.

;)

SteelCitySooner
6/13/2009, 10:38 PM
Not entirely true. While it is true that Edmonton offered 9mil per season, to my recollection it was only a two year deal -- Pitt offered 7mil and extended it to a 5 year contract.

I have no sympathy for the guy. He made his choice. Although there is a good point to be made that if we did keep him, Pens would be a different team today, and who knows if they would have done what they did.

I do think a lot of Marion's decision was based on his dislike of Mike Therien.

SteelCitySooner
6/13/2009, 11:15 PM
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8894/hossa2.jpg

Scott D
6/14/2009, 01:37 PM
Not entirely true. While it is true that Edmonton offered 9mil per season, to my recollection it was only a two year deal -- Pitt offered 7mil and extended it to a 5 year contract.

I have no sympathy for the guy. He made his choice. Although there is a good point to be made that if we did keep him, Pens would be a different team today, and who knows if they would have done what they did.

I do think a lot of Marion's decision was based on his dislike of Mike Therien.

I think the Therien angle did come into play. But I also remember hearing that if the Pens had re-signed Hossa they likely wouldn't have been able to keep Orpik, and considering how big he came up for them in the playoffs, it could have been completely different.

And to be fair, if Shero doesn't fire Therien, it's quite possible that the Pens join the parade of teams that lose the finals one season, and don't make the playoffs the next season.

GrapevineSooner
6/14/2009, 02:42 PM
Here's the other thing...

He was only with the Pens for four months. It's not like he played there for many years, then decided to leave. And as San Jose fans found out, just because you trade for a free-agent-to-be doesn't obligate that player to sign with you in free agency.

Detroit's playoff appearance streak goes back to the early 90's, if not late 80's IIRC. They are the gold standard for NHL franchises. And they are a preferred destination in part because of the pro-player stance during the lockout that Mike Illitch, Ken Holland, and Jimmy Devallano took.

Hossa made the same choice that many other free agents of his star power would have made had they been in his shoes nearly a year ago.

Scott D
6/14/2009, 02:44 PM
San Jose fans STILL hate Ed Belfour btw.

and 89-90 was the last time we missed the playoffs.

SoonerStormchaser
6/14/2009, 03:23 PM
Hossa wouldn't have been with the Penguins this year even if they had won the cup last year...he even commented at the trade deadline last year that he was gonna help out whomever got him for the rest of the season, but wanted to go to either Detroit or Edmonton once it was all over.

GrapevineSooner
6/14/2009, 04:46 PM
San Jose fans STILL hate Ed Belfour btw.

and 89-90 was the last time we missed the playoffs.

Not coincidentally, they still haven't figured out what free agency means. ;)

SoonerStormchaser
6/14/2009, 05:04 PM
Not coincidentally, they still have yet to make it past the second round of the playoffs...and when they win the President's Trophy, they get bounced even faster!

Scott D
6/14/2009, 05:53 PM
I certainly don't remember Hossa ever saying that at the deadline last year. You pulled that one out of your *** SSC.

SteelCitySooner
6/14/2009, 10:19 PM
Hossa wouldn't have been with the Penguins this year even if they had won the cup last year...he even commented at the trade deadline last year that he was gonna help out whomever got him for the rest of the season, but wanted to go to either Detroit or Edmonton once it was all over.

That is completely not true. Hossa led the Pen's on till the end of the deadline. Publicly he stated how much he loved Pittsburgh and how much he enjoyed playing with the Pens and being with Sid Crosby. I wouldn't ahve much heartbreak with the guy if he didn't lead the team on and bring it out till the trade deadline.

The biggest problem I have had with Hossa is the he (and his agent) negotitated in bath faith with the Penguins last summer.

Shero offered him a 5 year deal and his agent (Winter?) came back and asked for more years, which Rejean did with a 7 year deal.

Well obviously, a longer term deal meant nothing, and to keep the Pens waiting past July 1 was inexcusable.

Obviously anyone objectively would say Detroit did give him the best shot to win a Cup.

However, there is something to be said to cutting your own path to do so, which he gave up when he left last summer.