PDA

View Full Version : Roasted Peppers

mdklatt
6/13/2009, 05:48 PM
So, I got the idea in my head to make black bean and rice-stuffed poblano peppers. Instead of just parboiling the poblanos like you typically do with stuffed bell peppers, I figured I'd roast them under the broiler. The skin got all nice and black and blistered, then I covered them for a few minutes like you're supposed to do to make the skin easy to remove. When I was done, the peppers were so soft that they were falling apart and were very difficult to stuff.

What did I do wrong??

olevetonahill
6/13/2009, 08:11 PM
Tried to be Martha ****ing Stewart ? :P

AlbqSooner
6/14/2009, 05:06 AM
So, I got the idea in my head to make black bean and rice-stuffed poblano peppers. Instead of just parboiling the poblanos like you typically do with stuffed bell peppers, I figured I'd roast them under the broiler. The skin got all nice and black and blistered, then I covered them for a few minutes like you're supposed to do to make the skin easy to remove. When I was done, the peppers were so soft that they were falling apart and were very difficult to stuff.

What did I do wrong??

You did nothing wrong. When you roast peppers like poblanos, serranos or anaheims, that is how they come out. They aren't for stuffing. Bell peppers are for stuffing. Take the raosted poblanos, chop them and mix them into the stuffing mix before you cook it. They are tasty, but not good for stuffing.

You can also chop them and put them on burgers or in omelets or whatever.

King Crimson
6/14/2009, 08:24 AM
what albq said. for stuffing peppers, there's a reason you boil them. the skin of the pepper becomes more resilient and keeps its shape while you put stuff inside and recook (bake, usually).

SanJoaquinSooner
6/14/2009, 10:13 AM
Poblanos are stuffed for chile rellenos, usually with cheese.

Maybe you overcooked/oversteamed a bit, if they were falling apart.

check:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-rays-tasty-travels/chile-rellenos-recipe/index.html

Lott's Bandana
6/14/2009, 10:31 AM
I grill my Anaheims with a light coating of oil and some sea salt. I also use foil on top of the grill to prevent the flame from scorching the skin.

1/2 dozen of those, stuffed with some cream cheese and black olives.

FTW

KC//CRIMSON
6/14/2009, 01:29 PM
Poblanos are stuffed for chile rellenos, usually with cheese.

Maybe you overcooked/oversteamed a bit, if they were falling apart.

check:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-rays-tasty-travels/chile-rellenos-recipe/index.html

Agree, Poblanos are totally made for stuffing (although they can be difficult if you over roast or sweat them) and chile rellanos are one of the most popular mexican dishes.

AggieTool
6/14/2009, 01:32 PM
Pffttt....

Ghey....:D

Chuck Bao
6/14/2009, 04:37 PM
Pffttt....

Ghey....:D

Hey, it may be totally ghey, but I would be into chile rellenos. Peppers stuffed with cream cheese and black olives would totally rock my ghey world.

SoonerJack
6/15/2009, 08:55 AM
ok. I'm starving now.

Lott's Bandana
6/15/2009, 04:49 PM
Hey, it may be totally ghey, but I would be into chile rellenos. Peppers stuffed with cream cheese and black olives would totally rock my ghey world.

Ok my ghey friend, this not-ghey dude (disclaimer) will be in Bangkok on July 8th, overnighting before flying to Phuket to do some serious diving and pepper roasting.

U still gonna be in teh States then?