PDA

View Full Version : My Dad Didn't

Oldnslo
6/12/2009, 10:04 AM
recognize me today.

Actually, that's not accurate. He didn't recognize his friend, Rich. That was at 2 this morning. At 4, Dad's breathing became labored. By the time I got there at 7:30, Dad was unresponsive.

Rich said that Dad's pupils are small and fixed. I didn't open Dad's eyes to check. But Rich also said that Dad's BP and pulse are all over the map. Of course, his feet are freezing cold. Dad also seems to have bitten his tongue. I don't think it's a seizure--Dad has no history of that, and it doesn't really explain the labored breathing.

Dad's been falling alot lately, normal for a psp patient, but these falls have been forward, and psp patients usually fall backward. I don't know why it works that way.

Anyway. I told Dad that I knew he loved me and was proud of me. I told him that I love him and was proud of him, too. I told him that if he wanted to stay and keep on fighting I understood, but if he wanted to go, I'd also understand and would support his decision.

He jerked his head up as if to nod, but in all honesty, I can't be sure if Dad's reaction was voluntary or not.

I called my brother out in Atlanta. I've just spoken to my aunt in Florida.

I don't think Dad's going to be here much longer.

About 12 years ago, I was talking to a buddy of mine about how petrified I was about my first child's impending birth. He said it was no big deal, that it happened gradually and I'd have 9 months to prepare for it. I said Bull****! One day the kid isn't there, the next day it is. There's nothing gradual about it.

Well, I've known for a few years about the psp and Dad's declining health. But there's nothing gradual about this, either.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/12/2009, 10:06 AM
prayers for you and your family..I lost mine and your right..it seems all of a sudden no matter what

soonerfan28
6/12/2009, 10:19 AM
Prayers from my family for yours.

Dio
6/12/2009, 10:27 AM
Peace and prayers to your family, Oldnslo

OUMallen
6/12/2009, 10:36 AM
recognize me today.

Actually, that's not accurate. He didn't recognize his friend, Rich. That was at 2 this morning. At 4, Dad's breathing became labored. By the time I got there at 7:30, Dad was unresponsive.

Rich said that Dad's pupils are small and fixed. I didn't open Dad's eyes to check. But Rich also said that Dad's BP and pulse are all over the map. Of course, his feet are freezing cold. Dad also seems to have bitten his tongue. I don't think it's a seizure--Dad has no history of that, and it doesn't really explain the labored breathing.

Dad's been falling alot lately, normal for a psp patient, but these falls have been forward, and psp patients usually fall backward. I don't know why it works that way.

Anyway. I told Dad that I knew he loved me and was proud of me. I told him that I love him and was proud of him, too. I told him that if he wanted to stay and keep on fighting I understood, but if he wanted to go, I'd also understand and would support his decision.

He jerked his head up as if to nod, but in all honesty, I can't be sure if Dad's reaction was voluntary or not.

I called my brother out in Atlanta. I've just spoken to my aunt in Florida.

I don't think Dad's going to be here much longer.

About 12 years ago, I was talking to a buddy of mine about how petrified I was about my first child's impending birth. He said it was no big deal, that it happened gradually and I'd have 9 months to prepare for it. I said Bull****! One day the kid isn't there, the next day it is. There's nothing gradual about it.

Well, I've known for a few years about the psp and Dad's declining health. But there's nothing gradual about this, either.

I lost my father in 2005. Even when you know it's coming, it's not gradual. I wish you, your father, and your family peace and strength.

OhU1
6/12/2009, 10:45 AM
I feel for you and relate to the dread. I almost lost my father last May in what appeared to be a stroke or seizure. Dad was in the ICU in a coma (drug induced by hospital) for 3 days. Turns out he just had a severe reaction to his BP meds and it casued BP spikes which caused temporary swelling of the brain. He's recovered now with no problems.

Everyone - never underestimate the power and possible reactions that prescription drugs can cause.

I treasure the time I have with my father now even more than before.

I hope for the best for you Oldnslo - this is a very tough.

Fraggle145
6/12/2009, 10:50 AM
:(

captain_surly
6/12/2009, 12:07 PM
It's amazing how much a father can mean to a son, whether the son is a grown man or a little boy. Be thankful you have that relationship. I hope if his time is up he can leave this life peacefully.

OU4LIFE
6/12/2009, 12:09 PM
Man. I'm sorry brother.

I know it really doesn't make you feel any better, but you're in my thought's and prayers A.

OU4LIFE
6/12/2009, 12:10 PM
It's amazing how much a father can mean to a son, whether the son is a grown man or a little boy. Be thankful you have that relationship. I hope if his time is up he can leave this life peacefully.

screw that, I want to leave it the same way I entered it...screaming and covered in blood and mucus. ;)

ok, not really Lord...that was a just a little joke there boss.

Mixer!
6/12/2009, 12:10 PM
Prayers sent. :(

TUSooner
6/12/2009, 12:18 PM
Prayers for your peace, friend. Very sorry to learn of the situation.

olevetonahill
6/12/2009, 12:23 PM
From another who Lost their Dad
Im a praying for Yall .

Curly Bill
6/12/2009, 12:59 PM
Prayers for you and yours.

Lott's Bandana
6/12/2009, 01:17 PM
This just made Father's Day with mine that much more significant.

Prayers. Thanks for sharing.

OUDoc
6/12/2009, 02:42 PM
Sorry. :(

OU_Sooners75
6/12/2009, 02:44 PM
Thoughts go out to you and your family.

I lost my father in 2000 to cancer. Nothing gradual about it. He was only 47 when he died.

Stay strong and cherish what time you have left.

I am not a religious person, so I cannot say I will pray for you and your family, but you will be in my thoughts.

Oldnslo
6/12/2009, 03:53 PM
thank you all so very much. Dad left today just before lunchtime.

C&CDean
6/12/2009, 03:54 PM
Peace be the journey...

Curly Bill
So sorry for your loss. God Bless.

Turd_Ferguson
Thoughts and Prayer's. RIP:(

royalfan5
6/12/2009, 04:33 PM
In with prayers.

colleyvillesooner
6/12/2009, 05:11 PM
so sorry

OU-HSV
6/12/2009, 05:15 PM
Sorry to hear this sad news

Tailwind
6/12/2009, 07:21 PM
You're right, losing a loved one, especially a parent or a child, it's never gradual. I miss my mom every day and it's been several years since she passed.
Big hugs to you and your family, may the man you looked up to all your life go easily if he's tired of fighting.

AlbqSooner
6/12/2009, 07:29 PM
I told him that if he wanted to stay and keep on fighting I understood, but if he wanted to go, I'd also understand and would support his decision.

This may be the most loving thing you could have said.
God be with you, your dad, and your family.

Chuck Bao
6/12/2009, 07:35 PM
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. May God be with you.

TUSooner
6/13/2009, 10:57 AM
Your sadness will probably never go away completely, and it probably shouldn't. But may it give way to peaceful thoughts and memories. God bless you and yours.

Okla-homey
6/13/2009, 01:54 PM
May God comfort you together with all the other mourners of Zion and Jerusalem.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/13/2009, 02:10 PM
I lost my father in 2005. Even when you know it's coming, it's not gradual. I wish you, your father, and your family peace and strength.I lost mine in 2004, and dittos. Prayers for him and your family.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/13/2009, 02:12 PM
Your sadness will probably never go away completely, and it probably shouldn't. But may it give way to peaceful thoughts and memories. God bless you and yours.Well said

OU_Sooners75
6/13/2009, 02:51 PM
thank you all so very much. Dad left today just before lunchtime.

Sorry to hear that. However, at least he is no longer suffering.

Stay strong and just remember the good times you had. Share them and laugh about them.

Anytime you lose a parent, especially when you have been very close to them, it sucks.

Father

By: Jennifer S. Williams

When I scratched my knee,
Or if I bumped my head,.
When I was afraid of the dark,
Or that thing under my bed,
When I cried in the night,
Or even in the day,.
You were there for me,
To make it all okay.

You tickled my feet,
And laughed at all my jokes.
You taught me to believe,
In having high hopes.
You are my father
You did what you had to do.
But more than a father
You are my friend too.
You made everything good,
That was once bad.
I just want you to know
I love you Dad.

walkoffsooner
6/13/2009, 09:49 PM
Sorry for your loss prayers sent

VeeJay
6/13/2009, 11:30 PM
I do not like using the cliche "He's in a better place now" - but I do believe that with all my heart that's where we go.

God Bless and prayers sent your way.

Crucifax Autumn
6/14/2009, 12:59 AM
Try to keep it in perspective. I'm sure that, based on the love you show for him here, he had a full and happy life.

I am certain that you being one of the last things he sa made him proud and sent him off knowing his life was full and blessed.

tidalmouse
6/14/2009, 08:49 AM
I'm sorry for your Loss.My Father Passed in 89',he was 57 and I was 30.He'll always be a Big Part of You.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/14/2009, 09:51 AM
prayers continuing for your family

OUHOMER
6/15/2009, 07:45 PM
sorry to hear about your loss. My dad getting ready to go a nursing home. Alzheimer has him and he start ing to get worse

soonerfan28
6/15/2009, 08:19 PM
I lost my father in January of 1981 when I was only 9 months old. He died in a horrific oil field accident. In some ways I am blessed that I never got to know him because I don't have to miss all of the special things about him. It makes me grateful that I get to be a father to 3 beautiful children (one of which was born June 1st, 2009)
Continued prayers from my family.

Soonerus
6/15/2009, 08:30 PM
sorry man...

85Sooner
6/16/2009, 08:02 AM
God Bless, Oldnslo, Peace be with your family with excitement of your dads new journey. He will be waiting for you.

Boomer.....
6/16/2009, 08:34 AM
Sorry to hear that. Prayers sent.

StoopTroup
6/16/2009, 10:32 AM
My deepest sympathy OldnSlo.

God Bless.

You too Homer.

IB4OU2
6/16/2009, 10:44 AM
My deepest sympathies to you and your family. I lost my Dad in 2007 and had great support from many here. God Bless.

AggieTool
6/16/2009, 10:47 AM
Mojo sent.:(

mikeelikee
6/16/2009, 10:51 AM
I surrendered my Dad to Heaven way back on April 1, 1992 (Lou Gehrig's Disease), and I still miss him.

I pray for your peace and comfort through this time. It gets easier, but it never completely goes away, nor should it. Our dads are so special.