PDA

View Full Version : History of OU Football: 1999

Jacie
6/11/2009, 12:10 PM
The title's misleading since this post appeared in the summer of 1999. However, the author, revealed at the end, was eerily prescient. After reading about the previous 10 years, readers deserve a post like this to cap it off.

1999 and beyond: The Bob Stoops Era

I would like to open with a post made by an OU fan back on April 21, 1998 at 6:52:19 P.M.

“First of all Blake and Co. WILL be successful this year. Second of all, if the end of option football ever came to the University of Oklahoma, this would also end the University of Oklahoma's football program, as we once knew it. It has been proven time and time again that you have to run the ball predominantly. That does not mean true option, but you have to run it 80% of the time at a bare minimum. Fortunately, the option is the most successful way of running the ball. Uh oh, here I go again on the option. The last team to win the conference title ran the option, that team being Nebraska. The last team in the conference to win a national title ran the option, that team being Nebraska. The last team to win the old Big Eight was Nebraska, running the option. The last team to beat Nebraska in the old Big Eight, was Iowa St. running the wishbone. The last team to beat Nebraska back-to-back in the conference was Colorado running the triple option. The last team to win the old Big Eight conference championship outside of Nebraska was the triple option running Colorado team. The last team to blow Nebraska out was in 1990 when OU beat the daylights out of them running Power I/Option. The name "Nebraska" here mentioned so many times is not relevant. Nebraska by itself is nothing, but running a predominant running attack they are something! Colorado had the best passing offense in the nation with Kordell Stewart, Charles Johnson, Michael Westbrook, Christian Fuaria and the Heisman Trophy winning Rashaam Salaam, yet still failed to beat Nebraska. Colorado had about four players that were all-conference on defense that year, so defense was not a problem either. There is too much team speed to run the option these days? How many times did Alabama pass against Miami in 1992? That is all I have to say about that issue. The bottom line is trying to pass, not talent, not coaching, not coaching changes, not probation is what brought OU to its present state. Gary Gibbs would still be here today, if he would of stuck with the "Plan" originally instituted by Barry Switzer. Gibbs was not much of a head coach in my opinion, but he did have some winning seasons, running an offense that you cannot run in the plains. These facts cannot be argued; they are facts that prove themselves time and time again. And two final thoughts, name the last team to win the conference championship throwing even a meager 55% of the time? I don't remember. And the one that hurts the most, name the last time OU won a national championship and what were they running? We all know the answer to this one. If you want OU to pass, then you want OU to fail. Now that is my very unhumble opinion.

Good day Sooner fans...

P.S.: What was the score of that Nebraska/Florida game. You know the one pitting the nation's top running attack against the nation's top passing attack? “

That post is a little too flamboyant for my tastes, but it certainly makes some valid points. It does appear that person was wrong on the opening statements about John Blake and company being successful, something I bet he wished happened for more reasons than one. By the way, that post was made by yours truly.

So here we are, in 1999, the Bob Stoops era is upon us. So now the big question is, so what makes Bob Stoops and his coaching staff any different from the previous ones? After all, weren’t all those coaches different from their predecessors? The answer to that is “yes”, and Bob Stoops and co. are also different from their predecessor, but the scenario is also different which, I personally believe will lead to many great years of Oklahoma football in the present and near future.

Back when OU was still in the coaching selection process, I had a personal clear favorite. It was Jim Donnan and for obvious reasons. Following up Jim Donnan, my second choice and more realistic choice was Dennis Francione. TCU went from 1-10 to 6-5 and a bowl game in Dennis’ first year with a makeshift QB and a team that lacked talent. Also, he did a great coaching job at New Mexico. TCU had their best recruiting class in 15 years with Francione at the helm and they return about 15 starters so they could definitely make some waves this year, but that’s enough about Dennis Francione. My next choice was Barry Alvarez of Wisconsin. There’s something I didn’t like about hiring a former Notre Dame assistant, but it should be remembered, one of the TRUE Sooners of all-time in Merv Johnson was the offensive line coach at Notre Dame at one time. What Barry has done at Wisconsin is nothing short of remarkable, plus his offensive philosophy is on par with what I liked; a hard-nosed ground game. My fourth choice was Mike Bellotti out of Oregon. He’s done a solid job there, but the biggest reason I had him at #4, he was a head coach that had done a great job at a lesser program and that was better than the alternative, as in #5. You see a trend there? All, candidates had head coaching experience. My thoughts on the #5 candidate was another gosh danged assistant that I didn’t want OU experimenting with! That #5 was Bob Stoops.

Now I read about this Bob Stoops being one of the “hot coaching prospects” or “top assistants in the nation” a few years back in college football publications, but that is all I really knew about him. Bob Stoops has won everywhere has he been, and sometimes that is a lucky charm that is good enough. He was a fantastic defensive coordinator at Kansas St. with what would definitely have to be regarded as minimal talent. He followed up his career at KSU by joining Steve Spurrier’s staff and in his first year as defensive coordinator at Florida, the Gators won the national title. Spurrier’s “Fun & Gun” offense always produced the points, but they never had the defense to prevent the points, until Stoops arrived on the scene. Well, that’s all fine and dandy, but Gary Gibbs’ defense led the nation in total defense from 1985-1987 and OU won a national title as well. Back when Stoops was playing DB for Iowa he was an honorable mention all-American and two-time all-conference performer. So great, so he can play defensive back as well. It should also be noted that his dad is a football coach and he grew up in a football family. So great, but that’s nothing new as well.
Much to my initial dismay, Bob Stoops was announced as OU’s 21st head coach on December 1st, 1998 to guide Oklahoma back to prominence. Once again OU was taking a risk in my opinion. With Gary Gibbs, we had to respect Barry Switzer’s wishes and after all, Gary Gibbs was “one of the family” and he certainly took care of business as defensive coordinator. But not having any head coaching experience was a concern. Then with Howard Schnellenberger, his resume couldn’t be argued, he turned Miami and Louisville to a higher level of respectability and in some cases way beyond that. However, the risk there was Howard’s age and how his brash style would fit in the plains region. Then with John Blake, OU took the biggest risk of all, hiring a very young man, that never had never served as an offensive or defensive coordinator. The thought at the time was to bring in the right assistants, recruit well, which we thought John Blake would do and grow into the position. Unfortunately, OU has been in dire straits for a long time now, and patience is not something we have. On top of that fielding three of the worst OU teams of all-time will not win you extra years.

I mentioned the above coaches strengths and weaknesses for the next question I have. So just how are Bob Stoops and co. different? With Bob Stoops and co. we are getting the “just knowing how to win, wherever he goes” and charisma of Barry Switzer; defensive prowess of Gary Gibbs, confidence without the brashness of Howard Schnellenberger; the youth to “relate” to the players of John Blake. In essence I strongly believe we are getting the strengths of the past coaches, and from a perception standpoint, none of their weaknesses. Now does this mean that Bob Stoops will be successful? Only time will tell, but I am superstitious and I think “B”ennie, “B”ud, “B”arry and “B”ob all having something in common.
I like the staff that Bob Stoops has put together. They are young and fiery, yet have garnered lot’s of experience in their young careers. Judging by the post I made last year, it is quite clear I hate passing. It has not been a success in the plains region for a long time. I do believe it had more to do with OU and Nebraska dominating the landscape with option football than actual issues with climate and so forth. But, either way you look at it, that was an awesome Colorado passing team that passed for over 300 yards a game and ran for over 200 yards a game as well, yet still couldn’t beat a Nebraska team that averaged close to 400 yards on the ground. But, that was then, this is now. Oklahoma and Nebraska as we once knew them are dead. I don’t mean that in the way of being a great college football progam with many great teams, I mean in the form they presented themselves. OU dominated the conference with the introduction of the Wishbone. Why? Aside, from great coaching and great players, the conference was not familiar with that style of offense. The Big 12 conference is at a crossroards right now. No team has asserted itself as the be all, end all. I don’t know, maybe that’s not possible anymore. But, what I do know, if a team is going to pass in the plains region, what better time to do it? The Big 12 is still more familiar with the running games than all-out passing attacks. Leach can talk about the balanced attack at OU all he wants to, but we will see OU throw 35-40 times a game next season and in some cases more. That’s his system and that is what worked for him. I for one, would not want him to change it! This is a system that the Big 12 is not prepared for and OU will take advantage. This is a system that you plug QBs’ into and make all-Americans out of. Very similar situation to Danny Wuerffiel winning the Heisman at Florida. There are concerns about depth, there are concerns about talent, there are many concerns going into this season. OU will have the least amount of injuries that we have seen in quite some time and that will be attributed to Pete Schmidt. That is something you can mark down right now. It’s happened at other schools when making the change and it will happen to OU this year. Stockar will be a terror in the trenches this year. As far as depth in itself, it is sheer numbers, not talent at the 2nd and 3rd strings. We don’t know how much talent or lack of talent OU has. We keep saying how OU’s recruiting classes have been overhyped or busts, yet we never looked at why. The magazines and “experts” weren’t wrong, we were wrong in the coaching hires. Thoses coaches weren’t bad people, heck two out of three were very good people, they just weren’t ready for OU or vice-versa at the right time. When you see teams lose, it is easy to say that they may not be talented. But for OU, that has not been the case in the 90s’. A good chunk of teams they lost to, had less talent, more so in the early 90s’ then now, but that still holds true for some teams today as well. I look at the Wisconsins, TCUs’ and the KSUs’ and I don’t see talent, I see coaching. Granted Wisconsin has recruited better and have Ron Dayne just as KSU has recruited better, but they haven’t been setting the world on fire with top ranked talent. This offensive system is based on execution and players being at the right spot at the right time, after that is when talent comes into play. OU will win this year because of a good system and having just enough talent to get the job done. This is the time we have been waiting for. For the first time in many years, OU’s defense won’t have to fight and fight and fight and finally give up because the offense will not be productive.

Mike Stoops and Brent Venables head up the OU defense. Cincinatti was ranked 100+ in the nation in total defense before Rex Ryan arrived then they moved up to 13th. After Rex left for OU last year, the defense went back up to 100+. Did Cincinatti have talent? Absolutely not! There that word “system” comes into play. Rex had a system and it worked. After Bill Young’s lethargic defense, Rex Ryan’s defense was a relief. OU finished the season in the Top 10 in total defense and realistically kept OU from going 0-11 last year. There is little doubt, at least at this point in time, that Rex Ryan is a better defensive coordinator than the Mike Stoops/Brent Venables combo. But, I will say, in the early 90s’ and mid 90s’, Bob Stoops and Mike Stoops worked with lesser talent than even what OU had last year when they were still at KSU. I think this staff will get the most out of players like Rex did and that’s what counts the most. On top of that, we could say that, while this staff won’t stop the run as well as Rex did, they will be much better at stopping the pass i.e. the Texas game. On the defensive side of the ball, OU returns eight starters. OU is going to miss Kelly Gregg, especially on 3rd down situations, much like Texas A&M will miss Dat Nguyen. However, with the eight returning starters, improved pass defense and a defense that doesn’t have to play 40 minutes a game, they could and should be improved this year. The Stoops’ were very good DBs’ in their playing days at Iowa and that has transferred over to coaching as well. The secondaries at both KSU and Florida were strong and produced all-conference and all-American performers. We will see the same thing happen at OU, and look for the days of Darnell Walker, Jason Belser, John Anderson, Greg DeQuasie etc. to return just like when they gave OU 24 INT’s on the year.

This is not the biggest year in Oklahoma football history. If Bob Stoops were to fail, and we brought in another coach in let’s say five years, we would say the same thing, so there is no big year in that regard. The big year was when Switzer was forced to resign. But, I have no doubt this coaching staff will succeed for the reasons mentioned above. If you are not excited about the 1999 season right now, you will be after you see what this team does and after you realize they return 15 starters next season! The odds are finally in our favor, after four head coaching changes, seven offensive coordinators, five defensive coordinators and three athletic directors, luck and good will have to smile upon the Oklahoma Sooners. The teams of the Big Eight, the Big Twelve and the nation had their chances in the 90s’ to take advantage of OU and for the most part they did, but those days are over and OU will assume it’s right to the college football throne. We witnessed many winning streaks end and many negative records set by the OU teams of the 90s’. Those days are over and it is the time that new winning streaks will be created and positive records shall be set. Throughout the past several seasons I have looked upon the stands of Memorial Stadium, even when the team might have been 2-4 and mathematically eliminated from a bowl game, there were still 70,000+ fans there. While I can’t say Sooner fans would be the only ones to support teams so unconditionally after such a great fall, I can say, the Sooner fans are the only ones that I have ever witnessed do so. The football program has reached the highest of peaks and scraped the lowest of the valleys. Yet, here we are, still standing, in great anticipation of OU’s next national title to occur this season and every season.

Regards,

Clint A. Adams

JLEW1818
6/11/2009, 12:12 PM
lol it's weird to read about him before Oklahoma

yermom
6/11/2009, 12:36 PM
The teams of the Big Eight, the Big Twelve and the nation had their chances in the 90s’ to take advantage of OU and for the most part they did, but those days are over and OU will assume it’s right to the college football throne.

heh.

rainiersooner
6/11/2009, 12:51 PM
Dennis Francionne!!? :eek:

rainiersooner
6/11/2009, 01:01 PM
That was a great post!! Got my blood boiling! Can't wait for next season.

Sooner04
6/11/2009, 01:18 PM
Regards,

Clint A. Adams
SOONER TIMES!

tigepilot
6/11/2009, 03:21 PM
While working out of state and too busy to follow things real closely, when I heard that they hired Bob Stoops... "WHO!?!?"

I was also expecting a head coach after the Blake disaster.

Then I was told he was a defensive cordinater... "REALLY!?!?"

I thought we needed an offensive minded guy to come in here since the offense was SOOOO bad and the defense had actually been doing pretty good.

Then I was told he was bringing a super pass happy offensive cordinator... "NO WAY!?!?"

I too thought run was the way to go.

Anyway, I really liked what I saw in the two games I got to catch on TV that season even though OU lost (Notre Dame and Texas). If for nothing else, that offense was REALLY fun to watch. Loved it when they lined up in Ninja repeatedly over the course of an entire drive, against Texas I think, and moved the ball at will doing it.

Sooner04
6/11/2009, 03:25 PM
I'll never forget how utterly befuddled eATMe looked during the first half of that 51-6 trashing we dumped all over them. I never thought I'd see an eATMe team look so inept.

Little did I know they would return four years later and totally redeem themselves.

sooneron
6/12/2009, 08:29 PM
I'll never forget how utterly befuddled eATMe looked during the first half of that 51-6 trashing we dumped all over them. I never thought I'd see an eATMe team look so inept.

Little did I know they would return four years later and totally redeem themselves.

Yeah, I'm not totally sure which coach had a better :stunned: look.

picasso
6/13/2009, 12:39 AM
and totally redeem themselves.

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/Previews/DumbandDumber001.jpg

badger
6/13/2009, 07:11 AM
Yeah, I'm not totally sure which coach had a better :stunned: look.

Fran face at 77-0 sums it up nicely. He totally lost his gumption at that game

NormanPride
6/13/2009, 09:53 AM
I don't know if Fran ever had "gumption". Constipation, perhaps? That game certainly would have cleared that up.

Sooner04
6/13/2009, 01:07 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y258/KingpinPadre/sooner8.jpg