PDA

View Full Version : UNT, a team with nowhere to go but . . .

Jacie
6/11/2009, 07:17 AM
. . . up. Rivals preseason ranking pegs the (not so)Mean Green at #120. That is #120 out of 120 teams in the BCS. Let's look at some of the juicier bits from the Rivals write-up.

First, the head coach is former whorn quarterback, Todd Dodge (3-21 in two seasons).

FINAL 2008 RIVALS.COM RANKING: 119th.

Apparently, finishing #119 out of 120 was enough for one Mean Greenie:

KEEP AN EYE ON: Two-year starting QB Giovanni Vizza transferred, so a team that has struggled mightily in the past two seasons is breaking in a new starter at quarterback. The quarterback will be touted redshirt freshman Riley Dodge, the coach's son and a guy who originally committed to Texas.

So UNT will be another of those "coaches son at quarterback" teams, joining Colorado which enploys the services of the Hawkins family at coach and QB. Given the overwhelming success of this method, one wonders why other college coaches aren't playing their sons. Riley even gave up a commitment to sa*et for the opportunity to star at UNT. Coach Dad has the added distinction of being one those head coaches who made the transition from highschool coach to college coach without having to spend all those tedious years as an assistant

STAR POWER: LB Tobe Nwigwe is one of the best in the league at his position. He had 111 tackles and three interceptions last season, when he was a bright spot on a horrible unit.

You don't see the word horrible a lot in preseason descriptions.

THE BUZZ: The Mean Green have struggled mightily on defense under Todd Dodge. . . .the defense has to get a lot tougher overall. There is only one game against a "Big Six" opponent (Alabama), and two winnable non-conference games are at home (Ohio and Army). A four- or five-win season should be the goal, but it will be hard to get that many victories unless the defense plays a lot better under second-year coordinator Gary DeLoach.

Four or five wins is their goal? Be grateful, Sooner fans. That was us once.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/11/2009, 08:24 AM
Thanks to the saving graces of Patrick Fletcher, OU was never as bad as UNT

badger
6/11/2009, 08:51 AM
UNT, wow. I visited their campus once and recalled that some of the high school football stadiums here were better than what they had. I am surprised that they ever made a bowl game recently with that.

It was probably the wrong career move for that hotshot high school coach to move directly to leading a college program where his first game would be at Owen Field. There was an article in ESPN the mag about the team's preparation for that game. It is funny to read in retrospect. NP and I had seats near their band. They would play their school song anytime anything not-bad would happen. Hilarious.

flopshotjoe99
6/11/2009, 09:07 AM
still can't believe that everyone in the DFW metroplex thought Dodge would take the NCAA by storm. What worked at Southlake Carroll certainly hasn't worked playing the big boys.:)

soonerinabilene
6/11/2009, 12:13 PM
UNT just cant afford to buy the kind of athletes Southlake could.

JLEW1818
6/11/2009, 12:14 PM
UNT just cant afford to buy the kind of athletes Southlake could.

:D :D :D :D

i was waiting for that one!!!!

badger
6/11/2009, 12:23 PM
lol @ paying southlake... but seriously now, does anyone have a link to that ESPN Mag article I referenced? I've been searching everywhere and I could use some offseason humor

goingoneight
6/11/2009, 01:15 PM
Dude (and dudettes)... this is the same guy who called Booger Daniel "unshakeable."

Spending time recruiting, learning the aspects of the college game and college coaching (two very different and very important things to know) is what Dodge skipped out (and missed out) on. Dodge's game might always be better suited for high school. Besides, who can recruit to UNT anyway? And no... Daddy signing Junior away from h0rnicopia doesn't count.
John Blake was better prepared IMO to make the HC jump.

JLEW1818
6/11/2009, 01:17 PM
(and dudettes)...
hahaha:D

badger
6/11/2009, 01:33 PM
John Blake was better prepared IMO to make the HC jump.

It really is a shame how that all turned out. He was part of the Sooner family and all

TheHumanAlphabet
6/12/2009, 09:43 AM
still can't believe that everyone in the DFW metroplex thought Dodge would take the NCAA by storm. What worked at Southlake Carroll certainly hasn't worked playing the big boys.:)

Ask the Mizzou booger eater...

goingoneight
6/12/2009, 04:13 PM
Some people say he's the best QB in the BIG 12, I say he snot.

ashley
6/14/2009, 09:39 AM
Dodge runs the same stuff as lots of the big boys, just with different players.

RedstickSooner
6/14/2009, 02:31 PM
...right foot, green!