PDA

View Full Version : Lendy Holmes Update

Scott D
6/9/2009, 03:23 PM
Sounds like the Redskins safeties coach likes what he sees.

Former Oklahoma safety tries to catch on in NFL

By Charles Ward, The Oklahoma Daily 55 minutes ago

(CSTV U-WIRE) NORMAN, Okla.—ASHBURN, Va.—“He’s kinda ballsy.”

A bit crude, perhaps, the comment coming from Washington Redskins safeties coach Steve Jackson. But when you’re an undrafted rookie free agent like Lendy Holmes, trying to make an NFL team, it’s tough to be picky about the praise your coach chooses to give you.

“He’s not afraid to take chances,” Jackson continued about the former Oklahoma defensive back. “Not afraid to make a play. Not afraid to be in there with the older guys.”

Holmes’ name was not one of the 256 selected during April’s NFL draft.

“It was really disappointing,” he said. “I felt like I wasn’t a good enough player to be drafted, or that I hadn’t done everything I was supposed to do, or I had done things wrong to not get drafted.”

The Redskins, though, scooped Holmes up before the Klieg lights at Radio City Music Hall had a chance to cool down.

“Fifteen, twenty minutes later, Washington called,” Holmes said. “My girlfriend answered the phone and she told me Washington was on the phone, and I just jumped on that, when I thought everything was gone wrong.”

Holmes posted a slow time at the NFL Combine in the 40-yard dash (4.74 seconds) and that might have been what caused teams to pass on him.

“He’s athletic. He’s an athletic guy,” Jackson said. “Time speed, he’s not there, but he’s a lot quicker than what you see with time speed. That was one of the things that got him knocked down, was his time speed. Out here we’ve been more than impressed with what he’s done.”

Holmes also brings an ability to pay multiple positions with him to the Redskins. He came to OU as a receiver, before moving to cornerback and eventually to free safety.

“All of our safeties play every position on the field,” Jackson said. “You never know when three guys are going to go down, and you’re asked to get in there at nickel and cover the other team’s best slot receiver, one on one. (Holmes’) built for it. He can play all the positions.”

And, like all players across the league with an uncertain roster spot, Holmes is trying to make himself indispensable by showing he can play on the Redskins’ special teams.

“Like in college, wherever they want me, I’m going to play,” he said. “I’m athletic enough, so I can do whatever. So where ever they need me. I’m going to be playing special teams too.”

Curly Bill
6/9/2009, 03:27 PM
I was surprised at his slow combine time, as he didn't look slow when he played. Glad he's getting a chance to prove himself.

rainiersooner
6/9/2009, 03:44 PM
Yeah, he was a real solid contributor and a good Sooner...hope he can squeeze a couple of years and dollars out of the NFL.

TMcGee86
6/9/2009, 03:45 PM
I'm still disappointed I never got to yell "TOUCHDOWN HOLMES!!!" like I thought I would when he started out as a WR.

I had the accent down and everything. I probably jinxed his whole career. My bad.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/9/2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks Scott...I've got some updating to do

NormanPride
6/9/2009, 04:00 PM
Lendy is fast as hell. I don't think he trained properly for the 40, though... All you have to do is watch the film of him chasing guys down from behind over and over again to realize the kid's got jets.

Curly Bill
6/9/2009, 04:02 PM
Lendy is fast as hell. I don't think he trained properly for the 40, though... All you have to do is watch the film of him chasing guys down from behind over and over again to realize the kid's got jets.

Kinda what I saw & think.

Scott D
6/9/2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks Scott...I've got some updating to do

there's a second article they have on Malcolm Kelly as well.

goingoneight
6/9/2009, 06:14 PM
but... but... but... I thought 40 times were everything??? :rolleyes:

JLEW1818
6/9/2009, 06:18 PM
i thought this forum was gonna say he had another kid.....lol

soonerfan28
6/9/2009, 07:10 PM

He's waitin til payday.

Al Gore
6/9/2009, 07:25 PM
Lendy and Mamma's plus 8.......

Crucifax Autumn
6/9/2009, 09:48 PM
I think if he gets a real chance he's gonna kick some *** for them.

JLEW1818
6/9/2009, 09:49 PM
I think he would look good in a skins uniform

Curly Bill
6/9/2009, 11:00 PM
I think he would look good in a skins uniform

That's a dumas statement, because no one looks good in a skins uniform. ;)

BornandBred
6/10/2009, 07:47 AM
but... but... but... I thought 40 times were everything??? :rolleyes:

I was watching 4th and Long the other day, and they had them running 40's after practice in full pads. THIS is what I'm interested in. Some dudes STILL posted 4.6ish speed. I was impressed.

badger
6/10/2009, 08:11 AM
reason he didn't get drafted:
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/04zsddm3mKg6b/610x.jpg
omg - flag touching ground :eek:

goingoneight
6/10/2009, 01:12 PM
No... That's why he can't play for OU anymore. :D
Stoops don't tolerate that... :D

Soonersimpy
6/11/2009, 08:02 PM
I was surprised Lendy didn't get drafted. All I had to see was him running down Gilyard iat the 10 in the Cinci game on our first kickoff and we held them to 3. 40 time is one thing, quickness in pads is another.