PDA

View Full Version : 3 rules changes coming next season.......

Salt City Sooner
6/8/2009, 08:55 PM
1. No taking charges in the area between the backboard & the front of the rim (as far as I'm concerned this was already being called, see Blake vs. KSU 2years ago).

2. Expanded use of replay for flagrant fouls.

3. In the case of a player who is too injured to shoot his free throws, the opposing coach gets to choose who shoots them, & it must be 1 of the 4 players who was on the court at the time of the injury.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4241811

SoonerShark
6/9/2009, 01:02 AM
So wouldn't 3 make it to the advantage of the opposing team to HARD foul a guard then choose a Blake Griffin to shoot foul shots when leading by a couple of points at the end of a game figuring Blake would miss at least one of the shots?

snp
6/9/2009, 01:36 AM
The rule change I want most in basketball is advantage called, like in soccer. Basketball is the only sport that rewards such overt rule breaking. Besides soccer players taking dives.

OUstud
6/9/2009, 01:59 AM
2. Expanded use of replay for flagrant fouls.

NO

NormanPride
6/9/2009, 10:27 AM
#3 is BS. Why does the opposing coach get to choose who shoots free throws? That's ridiculous.

badger
6/9/2009, 10:37 AM
#3 is BS. Why does the opposing coach get to choose who shoots free throws? That's ridiculous.

Wow, I didn't read that correctly... whoa, that has potential for phail.

Ref: Your player just nut-punched, judo-flipped and other nasty things that I can't even BEGIN to describe to that poor dead point guard over there, who because he is dead, can no longer shoot the 30 free throws we're awarding him for your thug player's murder. Now, which of the remaining, alive opposing players would you like to have shoot the free throws?

Tim Floyd: Hmmm...

Eielson
6/9/2009, 12:12 PM
Sorry to be different, but I like #3. I've seen that rule ridiculously abused at almost all levels. If somebody is going to intentionally foul your player hard enough to hurt him, you will get two shots and the ball along with that player probably getting kicked out. Not to mention it puts the coach's job on the line.

badger
6/9/2009, 12:34 PM
Sorry to be different, but I like #3. I've seen that rule ridiculously abused at almost all levels. If somebody is going to intentionally foul your player hard enough to hurt him, you will get two shots and the ball along with that player probably getting kicked out. Not to mention it puts the coach's job on the line.

So, if I am interpreting your take on the rule correctly, are you saying that #3 makes the situation more fair to the coach of the rule breaker?

Ref: Your player mauled the opposing team's player, so they get two shots, the ball, and your player gets kicked out.

Tim Floyd: NO FAIR!

Ref: Ok, fine, we'll let you choose who gets to shoot the free throws among the four players that are still physically able to shoot free throws.

CincySooner
6/10/2009, 11:40 AM

Rule 3 has nothing to do with intentional fouls, which would result in 2 free throws and the ball. An injury-causing foul is simply that... a foul.

Eielson
6/10/2009, 04:53 PM
Rule 3 has nothing to do with intentional fouls, which would result in 2 free throws and the ball. An injury-causing foul is simply that... a foul.

It isn't about intentional fouls, but if a player goes out there and intentionally hurts somebody...it's an intentional foul.

Eielson
6/10/2009, 05:02 PM
So, if I am interpreting your take on the rule correctly, are you saying that #3 makes the situation more fair to the coach of the rule breaker?

Ref: Your player mauled the opposing team's player, so they get two shots, the ball, and your player gets kicked out.

Tim Floyd: NO FAIR!

Ref: Ok, fine, we'll let you choose who gets to shoot the free throws among the four players that are still physically able to shoot free throws.

That is better than somebody faking/exaggerating an injury, letting the best free throw shooter go in, and then basically send the "injured" player to the scorer's table while his replacement is shooting free throws.

Personally I'd rather see a rule that says if you have somebody else shoot your free throws then they have to sit out a certain amount of time. I think the NBA has something like this. I saw T-Mac shooting free throws left handed once, and then was subbed out of the game right away. I'm guessing this is so he could go back in later?

kbsooner21
6/11/2009, 10:53 AM
The rule change I want most in basketball is advantage called, like in soccer. Basketball is the only sport that rewards such overt rule breaking. Besides soccer players taking dives.

Did you really just compare Soccer and Basketball? Wow...

Eielson
6/11/2009, 12:49 PM
The rule change I want most in basketball is advantage called, like in soccer.

Advantage? Isn't that offsides or something?

there there
6/11/2009, 05:40 PM
Advantage? Isn't that offsides or something?
It means they don't call a foul if the person that got fouled is better off if the foul isn't called.

I think he is saying it might help when people foul to stop a fast break. If basketball had advantage and someone got fouled on a fast break they would still be able to continue and get a dunk/layup instead of having the foul called and getting the ball out of bounds.

The NBA's clear path rule was added to try to get rid of this, but there are still instances were fouling gives the defense an advantage.

Basketball could also borrow the soccer rule for flopping. In soccer you get a yellow card, I think you should get a technical for flopping in basketball too. I don't have a problem with a little overacting to get the call, but some people fall before there is even contact.

OU_Sooners75
6/12/2009, 02:53 AM
It means they don't call a foul if the person that got fouled is better off if the foul isn't called.

I think he is saying it might help when people foul to stop a fast break. If basketball had advantage and someone got fouled on a fast break they would still be able to continue and get a dunk/layup instead of having the foul called and getting the ball out of bounds.

The NBA's clear path rule was added to try to get rid of this, but there are still instances were fouling gives the defense an advantage.

Basketball could also borrow the soccer rule for flopping. In soccer you get a yellow card, I think you should get a technical for flopping in basketball too. I don't have a problem with a little overacting to get the call, but some people fall before there is even contact.

The NCAA will not put a rule like this into affect...Simply because it would ruin the power of the ACC and Big East!

ouleaf
6/12/2009, 01:26 PM
I just wish they'd drop the shot clock down to 30 secs instead of 35. I think it would make for much more enjoyable basketball to watch. A faster pace to the game and more creativity on offense

badger
6/12/2009, 01:33 PM
I just wish they'd drop the shot clock down to 30 secs instead of 35. I think it would make for much more enjoyable basketball to watch. A faster pace to the game and more creativity on offense

Making the half-court line a 10-second line (8 secs? 5 secs?) might also make the press situation that the college game loves a more press-ured situation for teams.

sooner518
6/14/2009, 08:25 AM
Am I the only one who thinks #1 is the dumbest of them all? The refs are supposed to not call charges if the defensive player is inside an INVISIBLE line on the floor? really?

Im against the the whole notion that an offensive player shouldnt be called for charging if the defensive player is "under the basket". I dont see why an offensive player cant still be at fault for charging into a guy if the defensive guy is close to the basket. I know they made this rule to increase scoring and to give the advantage to the guy who is about to slam a highlight-reel dunk, but it just seems so arbitrary.

Crucifax Autumn
6/14/2009, 07:01 PM
Isn't that the rule in the NBA too?

hawaii 5-0
6/15/2009, 04:28 AM
I'd like to see late game intentional fouls called more often. Two free throws plus the ball.
I hate seeing teams playing catch-up get away with muggings.

5-0

snp
6/15/2009, 11:33 PM
Did you really just compare Soccer and Basketball? Wow...

No, I contrasted the two. But we get it, you hate soccer and can't read. Moving on:

Yea, pretty much this. There are a lot of times where a winning team is put at a disadvantage by the losing team breaking the rules. It's contradictory to the nature of sports and should be corrected. More intentional foul calls or advantage needs to be put into effect.