PDA

View Full Version : History of OU Football: 1997

Jacie
6/8/2009, 02:32 PM
1997: Mass Confusion

Well, the labeling of the year 1997 was what I would call it. It was just a bad dream where I would wake up and things would return to normal. OU opened the season against Northwestern, a team that was expected to be down, but because of their recent success (back-to-back 10-2 seasons) couldn’t be taken lightly. It was a rather odd game as OU was able to run the ball at will between the 20s’, but for whatever reason, once OU got in striking distance, Winder decided to get cute and pass which led to OU not scoring all-day. Northwestern did nothing in this game but wait for OU to make mistakes and it worked perfectly as they posted a 24-0 win. Things were carrying over from 1996 already and that was certainly a concern. It was not expected to get any better the next week as a well regarded Syracuse team ranked 20th in the nation was coming off a fresh loss to N.C. State and looking to put the hurt on the Sooners. After OU destroyed its chances of winning the Northwestern game by passing way too much in key situations, the rift began that clouded the 1997 season. John Blake decided to go to a more ground orientated game featuring De’Mond Parker and Jermaine Fazande or “Gumbo” or for the Bob Barry Sr. fans out there, it is “Jumbo!” What caused the rift is Joe Dickinson, the running backs coach got more involved with the offensive play calling along with Dick Winder and OU basically had co-offensive coordinators, which usually leads to failure. At least for this game, things worked out. OU and Syracuse battled back and forth all game. Syracuse had no answer for Parker as he rushed for 239 yards and showed a variety of moves. A Syracuse defender said it best, “We would go to tackle him, but then he would just be gone.” OU had their best display of special teams in well over a decade as Travian Smith blocked two punts and Corey Ivy blocked a field goal. This was certainly a breath of fresh air as of late, OU had some of the worst special teams performances in NCAA history. The only blemish was a punt return for a TD by the Syracuse return man. I can’t remember his name, but there was no shame in him doing that, as he did it a few more times later in the season against other teams. OU’s biggest concern on defense was containing Donovan McNabb. OU’s defense did about as good as a job as they could on McNabb, basically bending, but not breaking. Syracuse did seem to have problems adjusting to the heat and McNabb advertised as such as we all know. Anyway, OU took the lead late in the 4th quarter and Syracuse had to drive the length of the field to attempt a field goal. Syracuse’s first two attempts went incomplete, but as usual, the situation that has plagued OU’s defense for quite a few years now has been the cursed 3rd down. McNabb completed a pass that gave Syracuse a 1st down and new life. Syracuse completed another big pass play and was running out of time so had to kick a roughly 48-yard field goal. Considering the bad luck that OU has had this past decade, I was quite confident, especially after Colorado kicked that game tying field goal a few years back, that Syracuse’s field goal would be good and having another depressing drive home. But for whatever reason, it was OU’s day on special teams and Travian Smith blocked the field goal, OU won 36-34 and fans stormed the field. That was truly one of the most emotional and great games for OU in the 90s’. There were comments about how far things have fallen that fans would storm the field after an OU victory. Well, while that may be true for some, I think it’s a great thing. Personally, I would like to storm the field after every victory to congratulate the coaching staff and players regardless of the opposition because they deserve it! Either way, that was a much-needed win for the coaching staff and players and I am sure they appreciated all the attention. I attended the game with my dad and we were blessed to sit near the visitor section with the Syracuse fans. For the most part they were quality people. However there were two students that did a little too much trash talking for my tastes. I was quiet throughout the 1st quarter, but couldn’t take it any more so started to explain to them why Syracuse was going to lose the game. Needless to say, they left before half time and didn’t return for the rest of the game. Such a shame, as they missed a great ball game!

Since OU won the game against 20th ranked Syracuse, John Blake felt good about the change to the ground orientated attack. OU’s next opponent was a road trip to California. OU spent all week working on the running game and Joe Dickinson definitely became more involved which didn’t sit well with Winder. Throughout the first half of the Cal game OU ran, ran and ran some more, but wasn’t going anywhere. This wasn’t the fault of the running backs though. OU’s front five were getting dominated. As soon as De’Mond or Gumbo got the hand-off they were hit before they could even make a move. OU got down by 21 points in the 3rd then OU got an INT and returned it for the TD. Following that, OU alternated Eric Moore and Justin Fuente and they both threw TD passes to tie the game. However, OU couldn’t stop Cal as they drove down the field and scored the game-winning touchdown. Now things were in utter confusion. OU won the Syracuse game with the running game, but it failed in the Cal game. OU got back into the Cal game passing, but was also the same thing that doomed them in the Northwestern game. It was rather simple in concept. The OU coaching staff needed to make adjustments much quicker, as far as running or passing, but that didn’t happen.

OU’s next game came against the Louisville Cardinals. About the only thing interesting going into this game was Louisville’s QB, Chris Redman, a player that OU thought they had under Howard Schnellenberger until he got home sick. Louisville was pretty bad and OU ran with ease and went on to win 34-14. De’Mond Parker and Gumbo both went over 150 yards in that game which only happened two other times in OU’s history. Up next was the game against the Kansas Jayhawks, a game that definitely didn’t sit well with me because of a certain change. I am not a coach, but I have had a long time football philosophy that you never change QBs’ regardless of productivity as long as the team has the lead. Well, that philosophy certainly should have been used in this game. Justin Fuente was 8-10 passing for 85 yards in the 1st half and OU had a 10-0 halftime lead. But in the second half, OU switched to Eric Moore at QB and lost 20-17. The moral of the story is, you don’t switch QBs’ when your team has the lead! This habit of losing to college football teams in Kansas was becoming quite sickening, I must say! The next game was the annual Red River War. This was one of those games that would have been great if the result was in OU’s favor. This game was not about two teams duking it out, it was about two running backs duking it out. De’Mond Parker ran for about 285 yards and Rickey Williams ran for about 215. The bad part was De’Mond had two 50+ yard TD runs called back on holding penalties that had nothing to do with him getting those runs. He was not only on his way to smashing the single game rushing record for an OU back, but probably the OU/TX rushing record for a running back for all-time, not just the past and present. As it stood, he had a great game that could have been a perfect game with a little help from the offensive linemen and downfield blocking of the receivers. As it stood, Texas won 27-24 and OU fell to 2-4. This was just another game proving that De’Mond Parker is better than Ricky Williams. Last year, De’Mond Parker ran for 225 yards against OSU’s ‘46’ while Ricky Williams ran for 78. There are numerous other comparisons that could be made in games as well. Ricky Williams is the NCAA’s all-time leading rusher because he is good and had a great offensive line, QBs’ and receivers that had a clue and an offensive minded coaching staff. De’Mond had none of these things and still produced. De’Mond Parker could have been only the 4th back in NCAA history to rush for 1000 yards in four consecutive seasons. Not too bad for a back that didn’t have help, something Ricky Williams had. OK, enough on my De’Mond Parker campaign. Since Jervey is out and Levens is recovering from knee surgery, Parker will get plenty of PT in Green Bay. While Ricky Williams will prove to be a bust in New Orleans when his 4.5 speed finally catches up to him and his superior strength is only typical strength in the NFL. Mark those words down. IT’S A DONE DEAL!!!

After the exciting, but disappointing OU/TX game, OU faced the Baylor Bears, which was the only Big 8/12 team of the 90s’ that has yet to beat OU. More than likely that will not happen any time soon either! This game was a scary one when Baylor scored late in the game and went for the two-point conversion to win. I have the upmost respect for any coach that will risk a loss rather than a tie game by going for the win. Baylor ran a pass play and Terry White, who had a bum ankle, managed to break up the pass as OU won a nail-biter. This was the second year in a row that Baylor had given OU fits. It should be noted that De’Mond got injured early in this game and was a non-factor.

OU’s next opponent was Kansas St., a team that no longer was fun to play. OU hung tough, but couldn’t capitalize on a 1st and goal from the 1-yard line when the game was still close. Also, this game was marred by two bad calls. First, the KSU tight-end trapped a ball, but the officials ruled it a catch. This was when OU was gaining momentum and that was on a key third down play. Then the next pass, Bishop threw an INT, but the officials ruled the OU defender out of bounds when he caught it or that he trapped the ball, one or the other but it was a joke either way. It was clearly an INT. But KSU went on to score on that possession and win the game 26-7. What made this game worse, was while OSU and Mizzou were playing a whale of a ball game in Stillwater, two fans decked out in OSU attire were pulling for the Wildcats! Even worse is they were in the section across from me and I could here every word they said. If you will remember, that was the game where OSU and Mizzou went into OT before OSU lost 51-50. Now, I know there were plenty of seats available for that game, so I ask: What were OSU fans doing at the OU game? OSU was 6-0 entering that game and they had fans attending the OU game, so that is further proof that there may not be worse fans in the world.

After the rip-off game against KSU, it was time for another R.D. Mercer at the hands of #1 ranked Nebraska. Well, I remember this one. I distinctly said, “NO WAY WILL NEBRASKA BEAT OU LIKE THEY DID LAST YEAR!” Well, I was right, they didn’t. They took it a step further and beat OU 69-7 to break the record set the year before for largest margin of victory in the series. Nothing was good in this game except for some promising signs of a freshman fulllback named Seth Letrell that gave the Nebraska starters all they could handle. Unfortunately, OU giving the ball to Nebraska 5 times in the 1st quarter is a recipe for disaster. I am done talking about this game now.
Just as you thought things couldn’t get any worse they did. OU faced OSU and John Blake and co. got things on track the year before like they should after the embarrassing loss that occurred under Schnellenberger. Till this day, I still debate, which was worse; OU losing 12-0 to OSU under Howard Schnellenberger or 30-7 under Blake. I think they both equally stunk so I will leave it at that. Yes, OU lost 30-7 in a game that De’Mond Parker didn’t play in and it truly showed OU’s reliance on De’Mond Parker on the offensive end.

Yikes! Two consecutive blowouts handed to OU. Luckily, it would never happen three times in a row. So I thought. Texas A&M put on a clinic and defeated OU 51-7 on a cold and dreary day, weather wise and game wise. OU had a problem crossing mid-field and A&M ran and passed with ease.

OU closed the season against a Texas Tech. One of the few main stay teams that OU always found a way to defeat. Texas Tech was easily favored in this game, but when it was all said and done with, OU surprised the Red Raiders and won 32-21. Stephen Alexander made the highlight reel with his one handed grab while falling down near the goal line. That was a play that definitely caught the pro scouts attention. Stephen Alexander had a very promising rookie season with the Washington Redskins and has the ability to be a pro-bowl tight end within four years. He ran routes real well and has soft hands, but needs to work on keeping the ball tucked in after the catch.

tigepilot
6/8/2009, 03:01 PM
I was fortunate enough to attend both the Syracuse game and the Texas game. Both were great games even if the outcome of the second wasn't what I would've liked. Riding the high of the Syracuse game I attended a company party that evening where I met what was to be my wife.

Regarding the OSU fans, I've long said there's no such thing as an OSU fan... they're really only OU haters that ware orange.

the_ouskull
6/8/2009, 03:53 PM
This season was marked by my complete withdraw from the realm of sobriety. Natural Light CAN go with every meal, if you really, in your heart, want it badly enough.

There weren't many highlights, but they included:

- Almost dying, literally, when we blocked the field goal to beat Syracuse. I was no longer a student at the time, so I didn't have tickets, but I did live in the only house, at the same, who could view the brand-new jumbotron from the roof. I jumped up when we blocked that kick, and almost fell off of my roof.
- Demond Parker > Ricky Williams, and holding is a bullsh*t penalty.
- Beating Baylor by one f'ing point.
- Nebraska has a lot of fear, and anger in those eyes. They REALLY wanted to split that championship with Michigan, didn't they? But, 69-7? Was that really necessary?
- Demond Parker, period. He could have been soooo good, but he came through about four years too early.

the_ouskull

Jello Biafra
6/8/2009, 03:57 PM
This season was marked by my complete withdraw from the realm of sobriety. Natural Light CAN go with every meal, if you really, in your heart, want it badly enough.

There weren't many highlights, but they included:

- Almost dying, literally, when we blocked the field goal to beat Syracuse. I was no longer a student at the time, so I didn't have tickets, but I did live in the only house, at the same, who could view the brand-new jumbotron from the roof. I jumped up when we blocked that kick, and almost fell off of my roof.
- Demond Parker > Ricky Williams, and holding is a bullsh*t penalty.
- Beating Baylor by one f'ing point.
- Nebraska has a lot of fear, and anger in those eyes. They REALLY wanted to split that championship with Michigan, didn't they? But, 69-7? Was that really necessary?
- Demond Parker, period. He could have been soooo good, but he came through about four years too early.

the_ouskull

still say that had demond stayed for his senior year, he would still be playing in the nfl right now...

i attended the northwestern game with my dad...the only time i remembered being more angry, was the 12-0 loss to a mediocre (at best) LosuR team.

TheUnnamedSooner
6/8/2009, 04:15 PM
Ah, my freshman year at OU. I remember going to the aTm game and leaving my ticket in the dorm room. I didn't want to walk back so I got one for $5. Half empty stadium and cold. Learned that year how alcohol cures all ;)

Sooner04
6/8/2009, 04:22 PM
The Blake Era (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121286)

picasso
6/8/2009, 04:37 PM
Closing seconds of a deflating loss against Northwestern at Solider Field, star recruit fumbles kickoff, gets hug from coach.

That about sums it up. Without even mentioning the inept system, game time calls and conditioning.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
6/8/2009, 04:41 PM
my wife and i were discussing that texas game the other day. it stands out because it was rain/sunshine/rain repeat. alas, my poor poncho didn't survive the 5th holding call. i remember screaming at whoever the tackle and tight end were "why are you holding?? he's past you!!" i'm still to this day not sure if i was more upset that they actually thought the holding was necessary, or that the holds were so blatantly obvious (i swear on one hold the guy grabbed the guys jock strap from behind), or that they actually got mad at the refs for calling it.

i was in a good mood, you bastards.

Sooner04
6/8/2009, 04:53 PM
jkm, the tackle was the immortal "Healdton Flash", #70, Barry Giles.

De'Mond may have been the greatest to ever play at OU but we'll never know because of the cavern of ineptness that both surrounded and engulfed him on nearly every snap.

Jello Biafra
6/8/2009, 05:47 PM

De'Mond may have been the greatest to ever play at OU but we'll never know because of the cavern of ineptness that both surronded and engulfed him on nearly every snap.

i remember him being the only bright spot of that terrible terrible nebraska *** whippin...

picasso
6/8/2009, 06:16 PM

De'Mond may have been the greatest to ever play at OU but we'll never know because of the cavern of ineptness that both surrounded and engulfed him on nearly every snap.

he was my wife's classmate at Booker T. and he used to workout at our fitness center in Midtown although I haven't seen him about a year. dude would be running sideways on the treadmill, then turn backwards on it.

kc sooner
6/9/2009, 08:18 AM
I'll never forget going to the kansas game in lawrence that year. We led at halftime, and i think KU's only first down in the second half was on a 99 yard TD run. I just remember we were in the opposite end zone of where he started the run, and he just ran and ran right at us. It was sad. Then we were down by 3 toward the end of the game and I think we had first and goal from inside the 10. I remember my uncle getting all excited and saying well at least we can go to OT if we don't score a Touchdown, and I told him he must not have watched the last few years of OU football. Then, of course we don't get a TD, and we kick a field goal to tie it, but of course there was a holding penalty on the Field Goal, move back 10 yards and miss the field goal. What a sad, pathetic day, and I remember my dad asking why are we taking a leading starting QB out of the game?

badger
6/9/2009, 08:28 AM
I was a De'mond fan... when he played in Green Bay :D He used to fan off his shoes in the endzone after TD's, otherwise I probably wouldn't have remembered him as well, because he didn't play up there for too long.

TheUnnamedSooner
6/9/2009, 08:50 AM
Was this the season that Kelly Gregg got knocked out by a blindside block?

I remember they showed the hit over and over and over on the jumbotron. Too bad they don't like to show much replays anymore.

The Remnant
6/9/2009, 09:56 AM
I have always wondered what Parker would have accomplished running out of a Switzer wishbone.

NormanPride
6/9/2009, 10:16 AM
Can you imagine if we had him in '99? Running with that line and with Heupel distracting the defenses... Lordy.

OUmillenium
6/9/2009, 11:06 AM
My friend and I drove up from SWOSU and bought tickets to the Syracuse game for $8. Went and sat in the student section and of course rushed the field after the win.

We went to almost every home game and spent more on gas than tickets.

Pricetag
6/9/2009, 11:56 AM
I loved it that after the writing was already on the wall for Winder and Fuente, Blake let them both do their thing and we went down to Tech and won.

picasso
6/9/2009, 12:38 PM
I loved it that after the writing was already on the wall for Winder and Fuente, Blake let them both do their thing and we went down to Tech and won.

yeah that was bitter sweet. I remember listening to that game in my bedroom. Dark days for sure.