PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa?

soonerfan28
6/8/2009, 11:24 AM
Should they be ranked in the preseason top 25 and is playing them going to be a good test for our defense. I know they run an unconventional offense and we probably won't see much of that throughout the season, but it might be good for our defense to see some crazy formations before conference play.

Jello Biafra
6/8/2009, 11:28 AM
im not real sure but i think they run a style real similar to tech?

goingoneight
6/8/2009, 12:38 PM
Newbie QB and no Malzahn this year. IOW, we have no idea until we see them.

soonerfan28
6/8/2009, 12:45 PM
I know that Herb Hand has been the co-o-coor the last few years and they say there will be no change in the playbook. They also have Shavodrick Beaver who will add another demesion to the QB position if Jacob Bower is the starter. They should have an "improved" defense next year w/the o-line being an experienced unit. The main reason I was asking was because they are ranked 69th in Athlons ranking (for what thats worth) and they should be at least in the top 40. IMO

goingoneight
6/8/2009, 12:48 PM
Yeah... KU isn't ranked in Athlons, either. They could be unbeaten by the time we play them. I don't particularly agree with this year's Athlon's quite as much as I usually do, but that's okay. There's WAY more info in just a couple of pages beyond OU than I claim to study or know.

badger
6/8/2009, 01:14 PM
Mitch Mustain should have to come to Tulsa after all... but then again, he might have gotten beat out by a less-highly touted freshman than the one at SC, so that would have been an even larger ego blow, heh

JLEW1818
6/8/2009, 02:17 PM
55-21 Sooners

goingoneight
6/8/2009, 08:38 PM
You're giving a newb QB 21 IN NORMAN?

Against your boy Dominique Franks? :D

JLEW1818
6/9/2009, 01:01 AM
You're giving a newb QB 21 IN NORMAN?

Against your boy Dominique Franks? :D

hehehe... I'm nice in the preseason !!!!

snp
6/9/2009, 01:02 AM
im not real sure but i think they run a style real similar to tech?

Not really.

Tulsa passes to set up the run, Texas Tech passes to set up more passing. A quick look at the plays from scrimmage show this pretty well - Texas Tech passes twice as much as it runs, Tulsa runs twice as much as they throw.

They both run uptempo, spread offenses that distribute the ball to a number of different targets. Tulsa runs the no huddle like a hamster on crack. Everything is go go go. Texas Tech QBs have pretty much unlimited amount of freedom to check at the line. It's a very big part of what makes the Airraid successful because there aren't a huge number of plays in the playbook. There are a number of predetermined routes that the QB will check to when he looks at the defense. Mahlzan was a believer in snapping the ball quickly as possible.

As I mentioned, Tulsa is dedicated to the run game. They will zone, option, zone-read, and other standard running plays like jetsweeps, reverses, traps, etc. Leach relies on draws, stretches, shovel passes and screens to run the ball.

The passing game is different also. Texas Tech runs mostly shallow crossing routes while Tulsa is much more vertical. Every DC in the league has Leach's plays mapped out, but the amount of variations and the level of execution and precision Texas Tech employs makes it hard to stop. Tulsa relies on misdirection to get their receivers open, more multiple formations, and their backs are used like receivers.

Here's Mike Leach's playbook when he was here at OU if anyone is interested:

http://www.bucksweep.com/spreademandshredem/playbooks/1999%2520Oklahoma%2520Offense[1].pdf - Copy and paste, formatting won't allow for hyperlink.