PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Stills

oupride
6/7/2009, 05:43 PM
SoonersIllustrated.com sent me a teaser 3 days ago that the Oklahoma Sooners have extended an offer to L.A. Combine MVP Kenny Stills, who is recognized by Scout.com as the #6 WR in the country. Would someone who is a Premium member post the story PLEASE!

oupride
6/8/2009, 02:50 PM
From Rivals

Rick Shaw
HuskersIllustrated.com

Carlsbad (Calif.) La Costa Canyon prospect Kenny Stills has long been established as one of the top wide receiver prospects on the west coast. However, after an impressive combine performance last week, the 6-foot-2, 175-pound made a pretty good argument that he should now be considered among the top pass catchers in the nation.

Stills compiled over 1,300 yards in receptions as a junior.
"I'm up to 17 offers now," Stills said. "Before this past week, I had offers from USC, UCLA, Fresno State, Cal, Arizona, Arizona State, San Diego State, Penn State, Washington, Stanford, Colorado, Boise State and New Mexico State."

"I added offers from Florida, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Tennessee all in the past five or six days. Tennessee and Nebraska were by my high school in the spring - picking up some film. Oklahoma and Florida had never been by. I had a pretty solid Scout Combine in Los Angeles last week and I think that brought some more schools to me. I ran a 4.36-second electronic 40-yard dash at that event."

Stills built a pretty impressive resume on the gridiron as a junior, earning first-team all-state, first-team all-CIF and first-team all-league from his receiver slot. He finished the 2008 schedule with 52 catches for 1,300 yards and 18 scores. He's also slated to start in the defensive backfield as a senior.

"Right now, all of the schools only see me on offense," Stills said, "but they all told me that they didn't want the defensive coaches to see me. They said, if they did, they were pretty sure they'd try to pull me over on that side of the ball. I really like contact, so I really like defense. I think, after this season, more and more schools will see me as a dual-threat."

"From a receiver perspective, coaches say that I have the speed to stretch them out but I also run the clean routes and have good hands. I also show the leaping ability to jump up and catch the ball at the highest point."

Rated among the Rivals250 (four-stars), Stills said he's still several weeks away from being at a point where he'll be able to make a college decision. Regardless, he admitted that a few schools currently stand out above the others.

"Right now, I'd say that USC, Florida, Penn State, Nebraska, Tennessee, Oklahoma, UCLA and Cal stand out a bit," Stills said. "I have a pretty solid relationship with all of those coaching staffs. They are all easily in the top group just because of the programs that they are."

"I plan to use all five of my official visits to schools outside of California. I think I'm going to take all of my officials but if I happen to get on one of my visits and fall in love, that plan could change. When I do decide though, that will be it. There will be no more phone calls."

Stills said he's very familiar with Nebraska's past accomplishments on the football field. It's that tradition, that pulling the California blue-chipper towards taking a visit to Lincoln next fall.

"I really enjoyed talking to the Nebraska coach," Stills said. "It is their running back coach (Tim Beck). He's real cool. I was explaining to him what I was like as a wide receiver. He watched my tapes and a few days later told me to give him a call. When I called him he told me my scholarship offer was in the mail."

"I know that Nebraska goes back a long ways as just being a really solid program. I'm real excited about them. They're a real prestigious school. They love their football down there. They've kind of been down for a couple of years but they're pushing for that big year and getting the program back on track."

With track season now over, Stills said he plans to take a couple of unofficial visits over the next week before settling down for the summer.

"I should be running in the state track meet tomorrow but I didn't run in enough meets to qualify," Stills said. "My times of 10.55-second in the 100-meters and 21.3-seconds in the 200-meters are good enough to be there though."

"I'm planning to go to Cal and Fresno State on Saturday and to UCLA on Monday. Then I'll start doing some more research on all these places. I want to be able to have a shot to play as a true freshman wherever I go. I also want to have a good relationship with the head coach and the offensive coordinator - hopefully they can get me the ball. Finally, I want a good education. You can't play football forever."

Additional quotes from Stills

Oklahoma - "That's big-time. From what I've heard from them, they've lost a lot of receivers. They had two receivers over 1,000 yard receiving last year. I definitely want to be able to be utilized like that. That draws me to them - for the chance to make plays."