PDA

View Full Version : What is the make-up of the Clippers fan base?

bent rider
6/7/2009, 04:41 PM
Barry Tramel's article on futile franchises has me wondering. Of course most fan bases are mainly fans from the team's city/metro area and even a futile Lions team is going to get support from the state of Michigan, just because they are Michigan's NFL team (UP Mich excepted). But LA is a city that also has a team that is often near the top of the NBA, and has a longer history in the city. So who is going to be a Clippers' fan?

1) Lakers-haters living in SoCal
2) Corporate ticketholder who supports both LA NBA teams
3) Cant get or afford good Lakers seats, but wants to see NBA teams live
4) Someone always supporting the underdog
5) Loser who also invested all their money in GM stock?
6) Fans of colleges of the current players?
7) Families of the current players? Its the NBA those could be large numbers.
8) ???

OUstud
6/9/2009, 02:11 AM
8) Smartass celebrities

(also, heh @ #7)

badger
6/9/2009, 08:25 AM
I heard that B-list and C-list stars go to Clippers games, much like A-list stars go to Lakers games.

It makes perfect sense - Laker tickets are probably insanely expensive and hard to get when everyone wants them, but if you're a "celebrity" trying to go to a place where you'll be seen and want to get your basketball fix even though you can't get floor seats for a Laker game, hell, the Clippers are in the same venue!

bent rider
6/9/2009, 11:05 PM
I heard that B-list and C-list stars go to Clippers games, much like A-list stars go to Lakers games.

So the Community Theatre actors like to be seen at the WNBA Sparks games?

the_ouskull
6/10/2009, 01:55 AM
No. They still wear veils.

The Clippers fan base is made up of those people who always root for the underdog because they, themselves, are underdogs. If you can't afford Lakers tickets... and few can... but you still love professional (sort of; it IS the Clippers) basketball, you go to the Clips games.

They're broke, but knowledgeable. They're also at the end of their rope - no pun intended, although, if you're a Clippers fan, you should be used to jokes like that. Then again, after the re-hire of Dunleavy, 1) it may not BE a joke much longer, and 2) if you were a fan before, you're probably not one anymore.

the_ouskull

badger
6/10/2009, 07:16 AM
So the Community Theatre actors like to be seen at the WNBA Sparks games?

Along with Kathy Griffin, yes :D

(I haven't watched the WNBA in years... it seemed like the WNBA crowds were NBA players out supporting their fellow athletes like you see at OU and school bus fulls of elementary girls)

NMSooner'80
6/10/2009, 01:12 PM
No. They still wear veils.

The Clippers fan base is made up of those people who always root for the underdog because they, themselves, are underdogs. If you can't afford Lakers tickets... and few can... but you still love professional (sort of; it IS the Clippers) basketball, you go to the Clips games.

They're broke, but knowledgeable. They're also at the end of their rope - no pun intended, although, if you're a Clippers fan, you should be used to jokes like that. Then again, after the re-hire of Dunleavy, 1) it may not BE a joke much longer, and 2) if you were a fan before, you're probably not one anymore.

the_ouskull

My brother lived in Pasadena and went to some Clips' games. There was no way in Hades that he was going to be a Lakers fan, so he adopted the Clippers when he lived out there. He hates the "Hollywood" image that much, plus I thing some of the anti-LA sentiment he saw as a kid in NoCal ('64-68) might have kicked in as well.

gotpoi73
6/18/2009, 09:31 PM
the trouble with the clips is that their owners are some of the worst in
pro sports. not committed to winning at all. notoriously cheap too. at least they have great facilities. however i will definitely go see games if they draft blake.

Eielson
6/19/2009, 12:59 AM
Laker tickets are probably insanely expensive and hard to get when everyone wants them, but if you're a "celebrity" trying to go to a place where you'll be seen and want to get your basketball fix even though you can't get floor seats for a Laker game, hell, the Clippers are in the same venue!

Too bad nobody watches Clippers games! :P

SoonerShark
6/24/2009, 08:03 AM
Clippers fan base: Juan, Leonard and Tanya.

SoonerShark
6/24/2009, 08:05 AM
It seems silly to be in the same venue. That is like a down year Tulsa playing in Norman on our off weeks. Play in San Diego or at least Anaheim.