PDA

View Full Version : Oh woe to the po pokies....

Okla-homey
6/7/2009, 12:10 PM
No money for the Athuletick Village. Might was well just sod it over and turn it into sheep pasture.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/article.aspx?subjectid=93&articleid=20090607_93_B1_Afterl4468

XingTheRubicon
6/7/2009, 12:18 PM
Some people just suck at everything.

Lott's Bandana
6/7/2009, 12:29 PM
July 2007: A judge rules that OSU could use eminent domain to acquire land for its Athletic Village. The decision clears the way for OSU to remove one remaining rental property from the 80-acre tract.
Mike Holder: The really bad part is that we had to cash out of our investments, so we don't have anything earning
now. There's nothing making money for us right now. Perhaps they should have bought that rental house, then they'd have some income...

LilSooner
6/7/2009, 01:14 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer group of people.

tulsaoilerfan
6/7/2009, 03:09 PM
I find this extremely amusing; i wouldn't lose a bit of sleep if T Bone went broke overnight

Okla-homey
6/7/2009, 04:32 PM
I find this extremely amusing; i wouldn't lose a bit of sleep if T Bone went broke overnight

FWIW, he's going whole hog on wind farms. Just last week, he was present at the annual "Sovereignty Symposium," held in OKC attended and by the Oklahoma Indian law community and folks from most of the Federally-recognized tribes here in Oklahoma. He pitched wind farm development on tribal land.

OU_Sooners75
6/7/2009, 04:50 PM
But the continue to trust Boone Pickens and his decisions.

Way to listen to his sound advice about putting the money in a mutual fund of his!

LMFAO @ OSU!!! Even when they think they are doing the right thing, they aren't!

yermom
6/7/2009, 04:55 PM
have fun choking on the land you robbed from your fans

OU_Sooners75
6/7/2009, 05:02 PM
I was wondering...how the hell does a school gain eminent domain?

Just goes to prove that you really own nothing in this country.

You can buy a house and pay for the land...But if the government wants, they can take it, just for ****s and giggles.

You can buy a car, pay it off, but if you have no license to drive it, or a license tag, you cannot drive it legally. If caught, you lose the car and go to jail.

You can buy a carp load of fishing equipment but if you keep a large mouth bass (black bass) or any other "game" fish that is too small, you can get ticketed. If the game warden is a bitch, he can confiscate all your fishing equipment! Same goes if you are fishing without a license. The same goes for hunting too.

Just a few examples of how naive we Americans truly are. You can have this...but if Uncle Sam needs it, he will take it without purchasing it if necessary.

Okla-homey
6/7/2009, 07:25 PM
I was wondering...how the hell does a school gain eminent domain?

Just goes to prove that you really own nothing in this country.

You can buy a house and pay for the land...But if the government wants, they can take it, just for ****s and giggles.

You can buy a car, pay it off, but if you have no license to drive it, or a license tag, you cannot drive it legally. If caught, you lose the car and go to jail.

You can buy a carp load of fishing equipment but if you keep a large mouth bass (black bass) or any other "game" fish that is too small, you can get ticketed. If the game warden is a bitch, he can confiscate all your fishing equipment! Same goes if you are fishing without a license. The same goes for hunting too.

Just a few examples of how naive we Americans truly are. You can have this...but if Uncle Sam needs it, he will take it without purchasing it if necessary.

I dig your passion and it is pretty jacked-up, but, under the Constitution, gubmint can condemn your property for a "public purpose," but they have to pay you reasonable value for it. Thus, you're wrong on the "take it without paying part." I think you're referring to civil forfieture of property you acquired through illegal activities or utilized to conduct illegal activities. That's different. That stuff is taken without paying.

Unfortunately for the poor landowners in the vicinity of Booger Pickens stadium, a Sheephumpers State Athuletick Village would probably qualify as a "public purpose" in any court in Oklahoma.

tulsaoilerfan
6/7/2009, 09:08 PM
well hell, how much could those properties have been worth anyway? This is Stoolwater we are talking about :)

soonerfan28
6/7/2009, 09:53 PM
Beautiful pic of Stoolwater on the front page of the Tulsa World sports page.

tommieharris91
6/7/2009, 09:55 PM
Beautiful pic of Stoolwater on the front page of the Tulsa World sports page.

I really enjoyed waking up and seeing that this morning.

Mixer!
6/8/2009, 03:14 AM
I dig your passion and it is pretty jacked-up, but, under the Constitution, gubmint can condemn your property for a "public purpose," but they have to pay you reasonable value for it. Thus, you're wrong on the "take it without paying part." I think you're referring to civil forfieture of property you acquired through illegal activities or utilized to conduct illegal activities. That's different. That stuff is taken without paying.

Unfortunately for the poor landowners in the vicinity of Booger Pickens stadium, a Sheephumpers State Athuletick Village would probably qualify as a "public purpose" in any court in Oklahoma.
That's the crux of it right there - they didn't pay the property owners a reasonable value. They swooped in right before property re-assesment was to start, and paid everybody under the old valuation system. What the property owners received wasn't enough to begin to let them buy replacement property in this town. I personally knew two elderly homeowners who were forced out, and died within 8-12 months of having their residences stolen from them. So yeah, fu¢k the aggots and their idiot village. :mad:

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/4928/roflbotwqhdjk3.jpg

Mixer!
6/8/2009, 03:19 AM
well hell, how much could those properties have been worth anyway? This is Stoolwater we are talking about :)
Tulsa's cost of living <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Stillwater's cost of living

:gary:

Sooner_Bob
6/8/2009, 08:15 AM

Stuff is more expensive up there than you think . . . I was surprised how comparable home prices where there to what we paid for one in Albuquerque.

badger
6/8/2009, 08:44 AM
In b4 "It takes a village..." jokes.

I heard that OSU leaders were BEGGING Holder and Boone to withdraw the money - more than $400 million! That's more than they needed to finish this project! Withdraw the funds needed and invest the rest!

But no, Booner (and therefore, Holder too) wanted to hold onto the entire investment account longer because he had such faith in the energy markets and the fortune it had made him...

T. Bone lost a lot of his own money with this poor decision too. It's just too bad that his poor decision had to fall on the OSU students/faculty, as well as the community of Stillwater.

I mean... WOW this is an eyesore, so it sucks for Stillwater, whether you're a poke or not. But worse still, the empty lot also serves as a reminder to students and faculty about the faltering economy and what students have to look forward to in addition to loans after they graduate, while faculty get a daily reminder on why their wages will not rise, their department will have a hiring freeze, or worse yet, why they won't have a job soon.

OUDoc
6/8/2009, 08:58 AM
They can let their cheerleaders graze on the land until they come up with another plan.

badger
6/8/2009, 09:54 AM
They can let their cheerleaders graze on the land until they come up with another plan.

You see, OSU just set themselves up for jokes like this. The state of Oklahoma used to be awash in oil money... squandering a small fortune like OSU did (because despite our jokes and fun, T. Bone is NOT the sole decider and overlord of Pokie State) cannot be taken lightly, given our state's history with small fortunes abounding.

The leadership of Okie State deserves every rude and obnoxious remark, every sheep and grazing joke that it receives for not cashing in on their good fortune when they could have. That way, perhaps, when they are blessed with such money again, they will think of their students, faculty and Stillwater community instead of Boone's ego.

soonerfan28
6/8/2009, 11:37 AM
They got what they had coming. Greedy Bastards!

sooner_born_1960
6/8/2009, 01:04 PM
badger, do you really think anyone at OSU would dare go against boone's wishes.

Taxman71
6/8/2009, 01:21 PM
We're totally dependent on fund-raising. If anyone out there wants to build a track or a tennis stadium or a baseball stadium, call me.-Mike Holder

This quote sums up why I cannot stand Mike Holder.....easily the John Blake of AD's.

Taxman71
6/8/2009, 01:24 PM
Texas has a bubble indoor facility costing $4mm, yet the pukes won't settle for less than a $50mm one? Comical.

I Am Right
6/8/2009, 02:20 PM
It is Stoolwater by the way, no amount of money will change that!

badger
6/8/2009, 02:50 PM
badger, do you really think anyone at OSU would dare go against boone's wishes.

The second Boone has no money, he has no power. I would have to say that the economic downturn of energy investments means that more people at OSU will be daring enough to go against boone tang's wishes than before when the stocks were high.

As the song goes, "He's your guy when stocks are high, but beware when they start to descend."

The next line could be modified for OSU in oh-so-many clever ways...

"It's then that those Pokies go back being jokies."

or perhaps

"Our Village, Athletic is mud, how pathetic!"

or even

"T. Bone was hustling now all's left is wrustling!"

Diamonds are a girl's best friend :D

Sooner_Bob
6/8/2009, 02:53 PM
It is Stoolwater by the way, no amount of money will change that!

Having lived there for almost six years I can assure it is a nice place to raise a family.:)

badger
6/8/2009, 02:55 PM
Having lived there for almost six years I can assure it is a nice place to raise a family.:)

Hmmm...

Bob's Kiddo: Daddy, what that big ugly thing?

Sooner Bob: You mean Oklahoma State University?

Bob's Kiddo: No, I mean that big empty dirt field next to Oklahoma State University?

Sooner Bob: That, kiddo, is the field of shattered dreams built on crappy investments.

goingoneight
6/8/2009, 02:57 PM
Bobby Reid for Heisman!!!11!!11

Pricetag
6/8/2009, 02:57 PM
But worse still, the empty lot also serves as a reminder to students and faculty about the faltering economy and what students have to look forward to in addition to loans after they graduate
So you're saying they should build a Domino's on the property?

Oldnslo
6/8/2009, 04:20 PM
I think Yermom said it best.

They crushed some old friends in their quest to make new ones. Now, they've got neither. Yeah, sucks to be them.

OU4LIFE
6/9/2009, 06:51 AM
Ysquandering a small fortune like OSU did

just to be clear here... in my opinion, 400 million dollars qualifies as a complete fortune, and not a small one.

Mixer!
6/9/2009, 07:53 AM
Now as President of this fine college
I'd like to announce that we've reached our goal
There's money in the bank and we've doubled enrollment
since last year when our team won the Banana Bowl

So it gives me joy to announce new projects
for the better education of all our youth
seventeen new sports and a superdome fieldhouse
and a visitor's athletic information booth

We're dropping our english and science departments
they didn't do well in the latest poll
92% of our enrollment
say they're here to drink beer & cheer the Banana Bowl

Funds for these additions will come from dropping
some obsolete courses that are moving slow
like basic history and economics
and other things not filmed for the TV halftime show

We'd like to thank sophmore John Rockgut
All-American for what he's done
and announce him as new dean of the college
don't turn pro until you've got an education, son

May I introduce three brand new members
of our resident faculty
they'll teach first aid and social graces
and still be sportscasters on network TV

92% of our enrollment
say they're here to drink beer & cheer the Banana Bowl

Well, we're gonna have a brand new big coliseum
Yeah! and two backup marching bands
twelve acres of asphalt for additional parking
on the site where the library now stands

Now today we rented, er, the top floor of the Hilton
six cadillacs and a villa on the bay
just a tiny way of saying welcome
to them investigators from the N-C-double-A

92% of our enrollment
say they're here to drink beer & cheer...the Banana Bowl

:stunned:

badger
6/9/2009, 08:16 AM
Verse 3:

Our former quarterback's momma
Feeds him chicken after losses
We'd stop all this eminent domain crap
But we know our real boss is!

Our new athletic village
is a gigantic field of dirt
My, you sure can go blind around here
Wearing a bright orange shirt

When our hedge fund hit $400 mil
We thought we could even fund classes
But the economy tanked and we're broke again
And OU's still kicking our football ______!!!

goingoneight
6/9/2009, 09:09 AM
You could go the limmerick route...

There once was a man who was 40
His football team quite disappointing
Don't mention fried chicken
Or AD Boone Pickens
Or how 'bout the REAL number 14?

I got that via text message after the 2007 OU/OSU game. :D

badger
6/9/2009, 09:43 AM
Sure, why not? This is a fun early morning topic...

There once was a man who loved oil
Who turned Stillwater to soil
Still after his pillage
There's no athlete village
He leads Pokes to utter turmoil!

SoonerJack
6/10/2009, 07:49 AM
Sure, why not? This is a fun early morning topic...

There once was a man who loved oil
Who turned Stillwater to soil
Still after his pillage
There's no athlete village
He leads Pokes to utter turmoil!

Good work, Badger!