PDA

View Full Version : History of OU Football: 1996

Jacie
6/6/2009, 09:44 AM
1996: The Beginning of the John Blake Era

President Boren really respected Barry Switzer and asked him for input on OU’s next coaching hire. This was a pivotal time for OU as it could not afford to look for new coaches every three years if it wanted to be successful again. This was also the debut year of the Big 12 Conference so it was important to get off to a great start. Boren got input from Barry Switzer, Steve Owens who took over as AD for Donnie Duncan, regents and Dr. Cross. There was a strong sense of urgency to inject some immediate talent into OU and most felt that John Blake, while extremely young and inexperienced, could hire competent assistants and “grow” into the job. After all was said and done with, John Blake became OU’s 3rd coach within a seven-year period on December 31st, 1995. Opinions on John Blake’s hiring were mixed. Some thought it was the right thing to do at the time while others thought it was a big time gamble because of his lack of experience.

OU began the 1996 season with an easy road trip against TCU. Well, John Blake’s debut as head coach and Dick Winder’s debut as offensive coordinator at OU was a complete mess. OU struggled to move the ball all day long and while TCU didn’t do much better, they were able to score. TCU won the game 20-7 and it was time to hit the panic button! OU had its first losing record at any point in a season in several years. OU’s next game was against San Diego St. in which OU discovered a future star in redshirt freshman De’Mond Parker as he ran for over 200 yards in the game. OU’s offense was not much of a problem, but strangely not only did OU fail miserably to stop the pass, the rushing defense was just as bad in this game. It was another embarrassing loss 51-31 to San Diego St. and OU began the season in a 0-2 hole. Luckily, Tulsa was up next on the schedule, a team that OU not only beats, but beats bad. Tulsa jumped out to a shocking big lead in the 1st half and OU came storming back, but Wes Caswell’s 99-yard TD reception was too much and OU lost a shocker to Tulsa, 31-24. Just guessing, but I bet there were quite a few folks calling for John Blake’s head after this one. Things just got worse and worse as OU’s traditional whipping boy teams were giving it back. The Kansas Jayhawks did it for a second year in a row and defeated OU 52-24. OU was off to it’s worst start in well over 50 years at 0-4. Things weren’t looking up as OU faced a Top 25 Texas squad. OU came into this game as pretty sizeable underdogs, but we all know with the Sooners and Longhorns; you never favor one of these teams heavily, because that is when things get strange. OU kept pace in this game as James Allen and De’Mond Parker both had roughly 100 yards at halftime. John Blake decided to go full time with James Allen in the second half, which I thought was a mistake considering how well the young De’Mond Parker was doing. James Allen continued to run with reckless abandon, breaking tackles and making spin moves that he hadn’t displayed since his freshman year. Jarrail Jackson returned a punt return for a TD in the second half that proved vital for OU. It was the second biggest play of the game, being second only to what occurred in overtime. However, without that play, OT would never have happened. Anyway, the game goes into overtime and Texas blows their chance and it was OU’s turn. This scenario was eerily similar to two years before when James Allen was stopped short of the goal line. That was the same play that kept replaying in my mind as OU approached the five-yard line. Anyway, the call was made for James Allen and through heavy traffic he dived in, albeit barely, for the game winning TD. That was not only a great and emotional win considering the way the season went, I was so happy for James Allen. He went from a kid that totally lost his confidence on one play and always being remembered for getting stopped short of the goal line by Stoney Clark, to yet another player that will be in the books of OU/TX folklore. Suddenly OU’s 0-4 start didn’t seem so bad, knowing what John Blake did for that kid. Luckily, things have worked out well for James and he showed tremendous promise with the Chicago Bears. Good luck to James in the NFL! Following OU’s emotional win over Texas, there were some concerns whether the team would be focused for Baylor or not. A team regardless of schedule, OU should beat. Well, the proverbial Texas hangover was indeed in full force as OU got down 21-0 to Baylor. However, the Sooners came storming back late in the 3rd quarter with Eric Moore leading the charge. OU’s defense only gave up a field goal after the 21-0 Baylor lead and OU went on to win 28-24 to improve to 2-4 on the season. OU’s next opponent was the no longer pathetic Kansas State Wildcats, a team that had to be taken seriously. KSU was ranked #17 in the nation jumped out to a 28-point lead late in the 3rd quarter. OU made yet another miraculous comeback, but the clock expired on their final possession. KSU won the game 42-35, but for three weeks in a row, OU showed tremendous heart and never gave up in each of the games. Hopefully, OU would have gained some confidence from the near comeback, but that didn’t do much good the next game as OU suffered they’re most lopsided loss ever against the #6 ranked Nebraska Cornhuskers. The score was 73-21 and OU fell to 2-6 on the season. Some “normalcy” returned the following game as OU got revenge from the embarrassing 12-0 loss to OSU the year before and won 27-17. Following the OSU game, OU played against Texas A&M, which was not expected to be fun. And it wasn’t as OU lost 33-16, but sadly, it was like a sigh of relief after what happened in the Nebraska game. OU closed the season with a team that OU could always rely on to lose and that was Texas Tech. Well, this was truly a bad year, as even Texas Tech defeated OU 22-12 and OU finished at 3-8 for the season. It was the first losing season in over 50 years and arguably OU’s worst team ever. I would personally rate it as OU’s worst team ever, just based on the overall record and some of the scores.

John Blake’s season debut was obviously not a smashing success. But we knew how OU was in a fragile time with its 3rd coach in three years, so “some” patience was in order. There was some obvious concern about OU’s play, but we were going to give John Blake some time to bring in the talent we all originally envisioned. The things I viewed as good were what happened for James Allen and the team’s desire not to quit. I never quite figured out what happened in the Nebraska game, but I will tell you something: You turn the ball over five times in the 1st quarter inside of your own 35 yard line and you are going to get your tail kicked no matter who you are!

tigepilot
6/6/2009, 11:00 AM
I never quite figured out what happened in the Nebraska game, but I will tell you something: You turn the ball over five times in the 1st quarter inside of your own 35 yard line and you are going to get your tail kicked no matter who you are!

Heh, didn't something like that happen in reverse just this last season against Nebraska? It seems like we were up 35-0 before the game even started...

Crucifax Autumn
6/6/2009, 01:59 PM
ugh....

tulsaoilerfan
6/6/2009, 06:11 PM
I don't recall us playing football in 1996

King Crimson
6/6/2009, 06:35 PM
I don't recall us playing football in 1996

we didn't.

Salt City Sooner
6/6/2009, 08:19 PM
2 things that tell you all you need to know about OU football circa 1996:

1. A Tulsa team that would finish that year at 4-7 came into Norman (BTW, the TCU game was in Norman as well) & beat OU with their BACKUP QB.

2. OU didn't win a single game in Norman that year.

Thank you Bob Stoops.

soonerinkeywest
6/6/2009, 09:35 PM
I was 17 working as a sacker at Albertsons in Tulsa at 101st & memorial the day OU played *Texas*,I could only get out to my car to listen to the game periodicaly.Before my buddy and I knew it was 24-7 *Texas*I believe, and We had a co-worker from *Texas* rubbing it in as she went home for the day...Anyways we got busy on A South Tulsa Saturday,but by the time we got a break and could listen again James Allen was scoring the winning T.D. in Overtime..We're in the Parking lot Shouting,running around like crazy..I went to that *Texas* co workers house and gave her the Horns down when she answered the door...Thought I'd share that with you all.My best memory from the Dark ages.

tigepilot
6/6/2009, 11:18 PM
My memory of the texas game is something similar. I had to work that day... assistant manager at a grocery is how I worked my way through college and I was the senior guy on duty that day. I didn't get much work done as I hid out in the bakery (no one on duty on Saturdays there) listening to the game on the radio. I know everyone in the store knew what I was doing because I kept screaming at the radio! When it was over, I announced the results over the store intercom. Of course, anyone that cared was at home watching the game but I was too excited to think about it. :D

That was one crappy year as a sooner fan but that game is one of the more satisfying non-bowl games I can remember.

Sooner04
6/7/2009, 12:43 AM
In the span of 53 weeks I saw OU's defense give up a 99-yard pass (Wes Caswell) and a 99-yard run (Eric Vann).

Crucifax Autumn
6/7/2009, 01:18 AM
The saxet game is the only truly good thing about that season...I'd rather have won the rest though and let them have their little tiny victory.

TheUnnamedSooner
6/8/2009, 09:30 AM
I remember being at the TCU game and how horrible OU played. Receivers/running backs couldn't catch dump off/screen passes.

Also, the texas game was a fun one, especially to win it in overtime.

Blake beat texas and osu in the same year, something that hadn't been done in awhile.

TMcGee86
6/8/2009, 11:43 AM
Looking back now, was stuff like not being able to catch screens a coaching issue or were the players just that bad from poor recruiting during the post probation era?

I remember Blake being a horrible in-game coach, but I don't remember hearing stuff about how he ran practices, it seems though it must have been night and day compared to Stoops.

I really can't believe how much of this I have blocked out. lol.

SoonerDood
6/8/2009, 12:06 PM
Wasn't this the year that Eric Moore ran out of bounds on 4th-and goal against Texas Tech?

tommieharris91
6/8/2009, 12:26 PM
Looking back now, was stuff like not being able to catch screens a coaching issue or were the players just that bad from poor recruiting during the post probation era?

I remember Blake being a horrible in-game coach, but I don't remember hearing stuff about how he ran practices, it seems though it must have been night and day compared to Stoops.

I really can't believe how much of this I have blocked out. lol.

I heard he ran practices by playing Tecmo Bowl.

OUDoc
6/8/2009, 12:37 PM
I remember being at the TCU game and how horrible OU played. Receivers/running backs couldn't catch dump off/screen passes.

Skipping ahead to 1999, I was on-call as an intern and had to listen on the radio to Stoops first game as an OU coach. I got so used to the 1990's call of "drops back to pass.......overthrown" and "drops back to pass......couldn't hang on" that I couldn't believe our '99 receivers could catch so many balls thrown their way. I think even if we had lost that game, the excitement of actually learning to catch the damn football would have carried me through that game.

the_ouskull
6/8/2009, 03:44 PM
Ah yes, 1996. I'm not kidding when I say that, from 1995-1998/99 or so is a little hazy in my memory. I know that I quit school, started workiing, started traveling, and kept drinking. Beyond those things, it's fuzzy. I know that I moved. (to south OKC) I also know that I opened stores in Tennessee, and helped clean one up in north OKC. I have a few pics, I think, from this era somewhere, but I don't know where.

Man, my life parallels OU football... at least it used to until I stopped trying to out-drink the rest of the stadium put together...

- Losing to TCU. The LOWEST of low points.
- Going to State and getting waxed.
- Really? A 99-yard TD pass? Yeah, at least THAT one won't be plastered all over Sportscenter. Thanks, Sooners. Now TULSA is the best football team in the state. Super.
- Then, suddenly, it was all worth while. We actually somehow overcame coaching, and inferior talent, and beat Tejas. Justin Fuente forever!
- Right, or we could just keep switching not just quarterbacks, but also offenses. Awesome. Brilliant. It'll really keep the other teams guessing that you're a f*cking idiot. Thanks, Senor Blake.
- I was actually stoked that we scored 21 against Nebraska. Sad, I know... Ladies and gentlemen, the John Blake era! There'll be two more years of it, too. Joy.

the_ouskull

Sooner04
6/8/2009, 04:19 PM
Wasn't this the year that Eric Moore ran out of bounds on 4th-and goal against *Texas* Tech?
That is correct. It was in the north endzone. There were about two seconds of stunned silence followed by what had to be the loudest groan I've ever heard in Norman. It was like everyone in the stadium told the punch line to a really bad joke at the exact same time.

That Tech team featured Byron Hanspard and his 0.00 GPA too.

SoonerKnight
6/10/2009, 11:58 PM
I remember watching OU lose to Iowa ST but can't remember what season that was in the 90's. OU had gone from one of the bet teams in the country t a team that people laughed at and made fun of OU when I would declare I was an OU fan. Having moved from oklahoma in the early 90's I barely got to watch a game and in 1996 I left to go into the Navy September of that year. I missed the Blake years and I am not ashamed of that fact! I got out of the Navy in 1999 just in time for Stoop's first year.

I remember watching the NC title game every year when I was in the Navy thinking OU you should be in this game WHY OH WHY are they not good anymore!!! This just plain bad memories!!

Crucifax Autumn
6/11/2009, 12:12 AM
Yep...it was sad times, but luckily now our only complaint is being among the top 5 every year and occasionally losing a title game.

Oklahoma is to MNC games what saxet is to Big 12 Championships. I think I can live with that.

And we'll take it all this year so I'll breathe even easier!

OUstud
6/11/2009, 12:54 AM
I heard he ran practices by playing Tecmo Bowl.

I actually heard that too, although didn't know it was Tecmo...at least he had good taste in games. :O

Crucifax Autumn
6/11/2009, 01:13 AM
Very good taste in games I guess!

I said it before and I'll say it again...Tecmo RULES!!!!!

sooneron
6/12/2009, 08:18 PM
I'll never forget the 96 ut game. A whorn chick invited me to come watch it with her (I had no idea it was a texass exes watch party) . Heh, good times...

101sooner
6/13/2009, 09:46 AM
Tecmo Bowl!!!

1993 OU typical day for me:

Walk to friends house on Flood Street. Smoke a joint. Play Raiders vs. 49's(me). Lose every day for the entire semester because I could not stop Bo Jackson EVAR.

Go to class (maybe).