PDA

View Full Version : Federal New Mommy bill...

Okla-homey
6/5/2009, 05:46 AM
Debate raging in Senate on bill that passed the House 258-154 that gives new mom federal employees four weeks of paid leave. :pop:

olevetonahill
6/5/2009, 06:08 AM
I don't have a prob with it
4 weeks isn't very long to get back to full strength, get the Kid settled ETC.

reevie
6/5/2009, 06:28 AM
Do Federal daddies get 4 weeks too?

Okla-homey
6/5/2009, 06:41 AM

no.

LilSooner
6/5/2009, 06:43 AM

Ok explain to me why you think you should get 4 weeks? I'm not saying that it's necessarily right that the woman get's four weeks, but I don't understand why the husband would need four weeks as well. I get the part about bonding with the child and helping out, but lets get real honest for a second most guys are just going to lay on the couch and play playstation.

I mean seriously are you going to be physically recovering from having something come out of you?

Are you going to be milked every two hours?

These are serious questions people.

yermom
6/5/2009, 07:10 AM
why should i hire a woman if i have to potentially give her more paid leave than a man?

they are already more moody once a month ;)

it's a pretty valid question since fathers can get time off under FMLA in my experience

sooner_born_1960
6/5/2009, 07:13 AM
Is adoption included in this proposal?

yermom
6/5/2009, 07:23 AM
yes.

this doesn't say either way about new daddies though...

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2009/052009/05242009/467988

sooner_born_1960
6/5/2009, 07:30 AM
Looks like men could get it too. Looking at S.354

badger
6/5/2009, 07:42 AM
If you guy start whining about federal new daddy paid vacation, it might remind me of boys back in junior high that didn't understand why teachers would always let girls go to the bathroom during class but the boys always had to hold it.

I don't think the federal new mommy stuff has anything to do with child bonding and more to do with physical recovery. I have never been preggers, though, so perhaps a mommy here could give insight?

sooner_born_1960
6/5/2009, 07:47 AM
Actually it just allows for 4 of the 12 Family Friendly weeks to be paid from a new leave type. Men could use it also. And, of course, will, as it is a use or lose type leave.

Osce0la
6/5/2009, 07:56 AM
Ok explain to me why you think you should get 4 weeks? I'm not saying that it's necessarily right that the woman get's four weeks, but I don't understand why the husband would need four weeks as well. I get the part about bonding with the child and helping out, but lets get real honest for a second most guys are just going to lay on the couch and play playstation.

I mean seriously are you going to be physically recovering from having something come out of you?

this is a load of crap...

I would be playing the XBox. ;)

yermom
6/5/2009, 07:59 AM
If you guy start whining about federal new daddy paid vacation, it might remind me of boys back in junior high that didn't understand why teachers would always let girls go to the bathroom during class but the boys always had to hold it.

I don't think the federal new mommy stuff has anything to do with child bonding and more to do with physical recovery. I have never been preggers, though, so perhaps a mommy here could give insight?

did the girls get extra points on their math tests too? :)

since it applies to adoption and is basically just paying some of the FMLA leave, i'm thinking it applies to fathers and doesn't have much to do with physical recovery

it's mainly just to hire better people from the private sector

C&CDean
6/5/2009, 08:12 AM
Meh. I say just give em' free abortion tickets for Friday evening so they can be back to work on Monday morning.

Condescending Sooner
6/5/2009, 08:30 AM
Great, another reason for employees to squander leave throughout the year. You know, calling in sick every other Friday or Monday. Then when they get pregnant and actually need it, "hey I have no leave, so gimme my four weeks of new leave".

Believe me, federal employees get plenty of leave time, this is unnecessary.

Oh, and vet, they already are guaranteed 12 weeks of leave for the birth of a child, but must use their existing leave if they wanna get paid.

OUDoc
6/5/2009, 08:41 AM
Fathers always get ignored.

badger
6/5/2009, 08:42 AM

Awww... I think this is appropriate to watch again, because it's Friday and we are talking about mothers... of children.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aoMmbUmKN0E&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aoMmbUmKN0E&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OklahomaTuba
6/5/2009, 09:07 AM
This is great news. The LESS time a federal employee is actually working, the better.

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 09:19 AM
This is great news. The LESS time a federal employee is actually working, the better.

hey! what the...go blow your tuba!

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 09:21 AM

i know right? i mean, it takes batter to make pancakes right?

we had SOMEthing to do with the process...

OUDoc
6/5/2009, 09:36 AM
i know right? i mean, it takes batter to make pancakes right?

we had SOMEthing to do with the process...
Some of us even work, bring home money and insurance, help around the house, cook on the grill, mow the yard, maintain the cars, pick up the kids from school from time to time, keep mom from going ape-**** on the kids and generally protect the family.

Don't give us a second thought, we're okay. :cool:

BornandBred
6/5/2009, 09:38 AM
Men should get equal time off if women get equal pay.

I do realize the irony of that statement.

badger
6/5/2009, 10:02 AM
Men should get equal time off if women get equal pay.

I do realize the irony of that statement.

DO women get equal pay? :D

BornandBred
6/5/2009, 10:43 AM

Bingo.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/5/2009, 10:45 AM
the preggers that work for the Choctaw Nation already get 6 weeks paid

OUDoc
6/5/2009, 10:50 AM

Do men get equal time off?

badger
6/5/2009, 10:53 AM
Do men get equal time off?

If they ain't federal employees :D

Scott D
6/5/2009, 10:59 AM
Some of us even work, bring home money and insurance, help around the house, cook on the grill, mow the yard, maintain the cars, pick up the kids from school from time to time, keep mom from going ape-**** on the kids and generally protect the family.

Don't give us a second thought, we're okay. :cool:

pish, you are a MD. you take 6 months off anyway ;)

JLEW1818
6/5/2009, 11:22 AM
I'm okay with it... but if your getting knocked up once a year for 8 years......:eek: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot: :hot:

olevetonahill
6/5/2009, 11:51 AM
Wonder , would octomom get 32 weeks ?

reevie
6/5/2009, 11:55 AM

I didn't say I think I should get 4 weeks off. I just asked the question. I saw a news story a few weeks ago that Germany gives both new parents like a year off.

TUSooner
6/5/2009, 11:55 AM
Nobody's complaining about the expense? And the guy who introduced the bill affirmed that it's intended as a first step toward requiring all (as in ALL) employers to do the same. Does this not strike a "nanny state" concern?

Here's a chance for some real "conservtaive" argument, I'd think.

BTW, I'm a fed employee but very unlikely to be a daddy again.

sooner_born_1960
6/5/2009, 11:58 AM
I'm a little old to be "milked" every two hours. But I'll give it the old college try.

TUSooner
6/5/2009, 12:02 PM
Wonder , would octomom get 32 weeks ?

<stunned silence>

:D

yermom
6/5/2009, 12:13 PM
Nobody's complaining about the expense? And the guy who introduced the bill affirmed that it's intended as a first step toward requiring all (as in ALL) employers to do the same. Does this not strike a "nanny state" concern?

Here's a chance for some real "conservtaive" argument, I'd think.

BTW, I'm a fed employee but very unlikely to be a daddy again.

http://www.indianapolisrecorder.com/articles/2009/05/27/news/featured_story/doc4a1dd3e29cb9c936528659.txt

:eek:

Okla-homey
6/5/2009, 05:44 PM
why should i hire a woman if i have to potentially give her more paid leave than a man?

they are already more moody once a month ;)

it's a pretty valid question since fathers can get time off under FMLA in my experience

...because if she can prove you didn't hire her because she has a uterus, or fired her for the same reason, she can sue yer arse and win. That's why.

JLEW1818
6/5/2009, 05:53 PM
too many complainers in the world....

soonerscuba
6/5/2009, 07:45 PM
Great, another reason for employees to squander leave throughout the year. You know, calling in sick every other Friday or Monday. Then when they get pregnant and actually need it, "hey I have no leave, so gimme my four weeks of new leave".

Believe me, federal employees get plenty of leave time, this is unnecessary.

Oh, and vet, they already are guaranteed 12 weeks of leave for the birth of a child, but must use their existing leave if they wanna get paid.Spoken like someone in a poor line of work, get better not bitter. The rest of us will enjoy our vacation and maternity/paternity leave.