PDA

View Full Version : National Sand Bass Festival anyone?

colleyvillesooner
6/4/2009, 09:25 PM
Madill, OK.

Wife and I are going on Saturday night to see one of her favorite country guys, Randy Rogers. Man, I hope they have beer.

JohnnyMack
6/4/2009, 09:32 PM
You should hope they have OVJ and a two foot bong. Beer ain't gonna quite cut it little princess.

Chuck Bao
6/5/2009, 10:19 AM
I wish I could.

Somehow I'm doubtful about drinking beer on the square.

It would probably be a good idea to bring folding lawn chairs.

Fraggle145
6/5/2009, 11:40 AM
They dont have beer I know that for sure, and I am not sure if you can bring it. They also dont have fried sand bass :mad: But they have all the other fair type goodies. Eat a Turkey leg for me. Also Chuck is right bring your own chairs and get there early or you wont be able to see ****.

Chuck Bao
6/5/2009, 12:38 PM
When I was a kid, they used to serve fried sandbass with hush puppies and french fries.

My terrapin would always win the terrapin races because I was serious about it. My sister and I would find 7-8 terrapins and hold our own pre-races. That and my grandfather showed us how to put turpentine on the terrapins' butts. That all sounds so terrible now.

I was home for one of them about 4-5 years ago and I was a bit...what is the right word?...surprised. Hillbilly central. But, I have no room to talk as the previous time I went to a Sandbass Festival in the town square (early 70s), I wore white bell bottom pants, an American flag shirt and platform shoes. And, then there were the motorcycle gangs, the Death Barons or something like that, who came in for the festival and that is why the festival was discontinued for 10-12 years. I think everyone will agree that hillbilly central looks pretty good after all that.

Go and have a good time, Colley. You will likely run into my hillbilly family there.

TUSooner
6/5/2009, 01:06 PM
They dont have beer I know that for sure, and I am not sure if you can bring it. They also dont have fried sand bass :mad: But they have all the other fair type goodies. Eat a Turkey leg for me. Also Chuck is right bring your own chairs and get there early or you wont be able to see ****.
A "festival" without beer ?!?!? :eek:
A "sand bass" festival without sand bass. !?!?!? :eek:

That's so wrong. :(

I have to say that festivalizing is one area where Loozyanyans got Okies beat in trumps. At a south Louisiana festival you don't hope for beer, you KNOW there's gonna be oceans of it. And if it's the "XYZ" festival there WILL be more XYZs than you shake your empty beer cup at.

colleyvillesooner
6/5/2009, 01:54 PM
It's official, no beer served or allowed. At least it'll only be 95 standing on asphalt. :mad:

JohnnyMack
6/5/2009, 02:50 PM
Dude, it's time to fake an injury. You're gonna have to throw yourself down a flight of stairs.

Fraggle145
6/5/2009, 02:51 PM
Its time to get out your flask.

Chuck Bao
6/5/2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, they serve lemonade there. Just take a couple bottles of vodka.

On second thought, there is a liquor store about a three-minute (one city block) walk east from the square on the north side of the road. They'll fix you up.

colleyvillesooner
6/6/2009, 08:52 PM
This blows. Was able to chug a couple of beers in the Baptist Church parking lot.

Chuck Bao
6/6/2009, 09:20 PM
Heh! I was a member of that church for all of my teenage years. And, the bank next door is where I worked for five years during high school and university. It may not be much consolation to you, but I always wanted to chug a few beers in the parking lot there. You got my respect.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
6/7/2009, 01:37 AM
I think the Stripers ate up most of the Sand(White) Bass in Texoma many yrs ago, no?

Crucifax Autumn
6/7/2009, 02:42 AM
Festival!!!!

ZYTkSFRmKzM

OU-HSV
6/7/2009, 07:43 AM
Speaking of Sand Bass...my buddies and I found a couple of great spots (each about only 30-45 minutes from my house) the last couple of months to catch a ton of Sand Bass. Good times.

6/7/2009, 11:49 AM
Speaking of Sand Bass...my buddies and I found a couple of great spots (each about only 30-45 minutes from my house) the last couple of months to catch a ton of Sand Bass. Good times.What river or lake?

soonerinabilene
6/7/2009, 12:18 PM
I dont know if it is still good, but Lake Oolagah was FULL of sand bass in the 90's. Best sand bass fishing i have ever done. We just trolled the lake 3 days in a row in my grandpa's pontoon, and everybody hit their limit every day.

OU-HSV
6/7/2009, 01:56 PM
What river or lake?

Check your PM box

OU-HSV
6/7/2009, 01:58 PM
I dont know if it is still good, but Lake Oolagah was FULL of sand bass in the 90's. Best sand bass fishing i have ever done. We just trolled the lake 3 days in a row in my grandpa's pontoon, and everybody hit their limit every day.

I'm not sure about Lake O. The last and only time I fished out there we were bow fishing at like midnight...that was fun stuff. I know some people that noodle out there for catfish. You'll never see me noodling, that's crazy sh*t

Fraggle145
6/7/2009, 02:37 PM
I think the Stripers ate up most of the Sand(White) Bass in Texoma many yrs ago, no?

Nope. The Sand Bass fishery is just fine. You can nail em every year right off the boat dock at the Biostation. :P

6/7/2009, 04:16 PM
Nope. The Sand Bass fishery is just fine. You can nail em every year right off the boat dock at the Biostation. :POK, pls talk about the striper and white bass fishery at Texoma. thnx

OU-HSV
6/7/2009, 05:30 PM
I don't know about Lake Texoma...but Striper fishing on Lake Ouachita in Arkansas is awesome. (I know I've talked about that on here before)

Chuck Bao
6/7/2009, 07:17 PM
Nope. The Sand Bass fishery is just fine. You can nail em every year right off the boat dock at the Biostation. :P

As a kid some 40 years ago, I remember the sandbass runs. The sandbass would go up the tributory creeks to spawn during the spring and you could literally catch them with your hands in the shallow creeks. I'm not sure they do that anymore or it played a part in the their dwindling numbers. Anyway, I don't hear people talking about that anymore. I'm not saying that they don't and I have not been in the US during the spring in like 24 years.

TheBobbyTrain
6/7/2009, 11:27 PM
It's official, no beer served or allowed. At least it'll only be 95 standing on asphalt. :mad:

I went yesterday for the 'festival'. I thought it sucked except for the Randy Rogers show. I also brought a couple of lawn chairs for me and my girl and busted out a small cooler full of beer about 2 rows from the stage. Finished off the whole thing without anyone sayin' a word to us and I was feelin' pretty good by the end of the night.

Fraggle145
6/8/2009, 01:32 AM
As a kid some 40 years ago, I remember the sandbass runs. The sandbass would go up the tributory creeks to spawn during the spring and you could literally catch them with your hands in the shallow creeks. I'm not sure they do that anymore or it played a part in the their dwindling numbers. Anyway, I don't hear people talking about that anymore. I'm not saying that they don't and I have not been in the US during the spring in like 24 years.

this is still pretty much what goes on. The stripers run up both main stem channels and the sandies seem to stay more in the creeks at least from my experience. You cant catch em with your hands anymore but you can still get some good bites. I usually just use a simple spoon and a treble hook when the lake starts to rise.

Crucifax Autumn
6/8/2009, 01:44 AM
2 words: Seining net!

Fraggle145
6/8/2009, 01:20 PM
2 words: Seining net!

yep. I've always said I do my best fishing with nets and electric equipment.

C&CDean
6/8/2009, 03:05 PM
yep. I've always said I do my best fishing with nets and electric equipment.

Three words:

Dy. No. Mite.

6/8/2009, 05:50 PM
Three words:

Dy. No. Mite.Do you have any sports as hobbies(ie fishing)?

OU-HSV
6/8/2009, 07:14 PM

One creek area I fished a few weeks ago we were catching sandbass damn near every 2 or 3 casts. I think we hit them when they were spawning. But this wasn't a shallow creek, it was pretty high cause of all the rain we've had

Fraggle145
6/8/2009, 11:19 PM
ya lake level is still up 4-5 ft over normal pool