PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa's Pants Suit is No More

Tulsa_Fireman
6/4/2009, 05:17 PM
http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10480066

Kathy Taylor Will Not Seek Re-Election
Posted: Jun 04, 2009 2:58 PM CDT Updated: Jun 04, 2009 4:38 PM CDT

NewsOn6.com

TULSA, OK -- Tulsa Mayor Kathy Taylor will not seek re-election after her term ends next year.

The mayor will make the announcement in a TV spot starting Friday. In the spot, Taylor says she is a "business person" not a mayor.

A news conference has been scheduled for 5:30 p.m.

Taylor was elected in 2006 after resigning as state Secretary of Commerce and Tourism.

Whatcha think, people of the Hills and Trees?

badger
6/4/2009, 05:20 PM
Apparently TV got tipped off when Queen Kathy sent them a PR announcement over where at the end she said she wasn't going to run again. The ad spots start tomorrow.

Something tells me that this isn't the end of one campaign, but rather, the start of another.

JohnnyMack
6/4/2009, 06:50 PM
Meh.

Mjcpr
6/4/2009, 07:13 PM
I will be sad to see her go. The job of Mayor is tough, particularly with this Council that wants to bicker and fight about everything. We'll be hard pressed to get someone that cares as much about Tulsa as she does....IMO and we'll be even harder pressed to get someone that will get as much done as she did, especially in just 3 years.

Okla-homey
6/4/2009, 07:57 PM
I like Kathy too. I guess she's just weary of fighting the council.

We need a city manager anyway. Tulsa's too big to be run efficiently with a mayor-council form of government.

IMHO, we also need to shiite-can the Tulsa Co. Sheriffs Dept and the BA, Jenks, Sand Springs, and Bixby PD's and FD's and have a "metropolitan" police force and fire department with jurisdiction throughout the county. Ultimately cheaper for all and probably better service too.

Heck, I'd like to see 'em do the same thing with one big county-wide USD, but that'll never happen because folks in the 'burbs don't want their kids going to school with just anyone. IOW, "Support Your Public Schools...except the ones where the poor kids go."

Tulsa_Fireman
6/4/2009, 09:51 PM
IMHO, we also need to shiite-can the Tulsa Co. Sheriffs Dept and the BA, Jenks, Sand Springs, and Bixby PD's and FD's and have a "metropolitan" police force and fire department with jurisdiction throughout the county. Ultimately cheaper for all and probably better service too.

Already been tried from the Fire Dept. side. Twice. Shot down by the state legislature both times, as they're the body responsible for establishment/approval of fire protection districts as per state statute.

It'd open up the Fire Dept. budget to ad valorem tax if that happened. It's actually language designed to help with rural department funding, but hey, if it works, it works. Besides, someone outside of Tulsa and Sand Springs needs to learn how to save something besides a damn foundation every once in awhile.

Soonerus
6/4/2009, 09:59 PM
I think it is a big loss for Tulsa...she is a quality mind...

Mjcpr
6/5/2009, 08:11 AM
Already been tried from the Fire Dept. side. Twice. Shot down by the state legislature both times, as they're the body responsible for establishment/approval of fire protection districts as per state statute.

It'd open up the Fire Dept. budget to ad valorem tax if that happened. It's actually language designed to help with rural department funding, but hey, if it works, it works. Besides, someone outside of Tulsa and Sand Springs needs to learn how to save something besides a damn foundation every once in awhile.

Didn't she try to get the Legislature to pass something to do with fire districts to allow TFD to at least partially be funded through ad valorem rather than the roller coaster sales taxes and it didn't get passed?

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 08:45 AM
Tulsa = Artfags

Tulsa_Fireman
6/5/2009, 08:53 AM
It wasn't "she". Don't give her the credit. If you want to give anyone some love on that issue, give it to Uncle Bill.

She's done zero for the Fire Department since her arrival. She can ride on the back of a fire truck in the Christmas parade and wave like a retard on crack, riding the back of our hard work and earned public respect, but it doesn't go both ways.

We're just a business asset. A popular asset. Play it up to the folks, but when the shades are drawn and no one's looking, we're busy getting gutted like a fish.

Mjcpr
6/5/2009, 09:16 AM
It wasn't "she". Don't give her the credit. If you want to give anyone some love on that issue, give it to Uncle Bill.

She's done zero for the Fire Department since her arrival. She can ride on the back of a fire truck in the Christmas parade and wave like a retard on crack, riding the back of our hard work and earned public respect, but it doesn't go both ways.

We're just a business asset. A popular asset. Play it up to the folks, but when the shades are drawn and no one's looking, we're busy getting gutted like a fish.

I disagree completely, but all City budgets have been asked to reduce expenses because of declining sales tax dollars which fund the General Fund. I suspect the public safety budgets will fare better than most.

JohnnyMack
6/5/2009, 09:20 AM
While I have no dog in this fight, I know my best friend is a Sergeant with the TPD and he has commented that the relationship between Taylor and his department isn't the greatest.

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 09:27 AM
if tulsa wasn't so busy trying to "out do" OKC, you guys may actually have money to fix those pathetic cart paths you guys call roads....

JohnnyMack
6/5/2009, 09:29 AM
if tulsa wasn't so busy trying to "out do" OKC, you guys may actually have money to fix those pathetic cart paths you guys call roads....

:confused:

sooner ngintunr
6/5/2009, 09:34 AM
Something tells me that this isn't the end of one campaign, but rather, the start of another.

2nd that.

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 09:44 AM
:confused:

promoting tulsa from wikipedia:

Considered the cultural and arts center of Oklahoma,[15][16] Tulsa houses two world-renowned art museums, full-time professional opera and ballet companies, and one of the nation's largest concentrations of art deco architecture

and so?

Tulsa is known as a "Buckle of the Bible Belt" due to a large presence of Christian beliefs and establishments, such as Oral Roberts University and its symbolic Prayer Tower

there have been MANY towns claim this...thanks for playing

Tulsa is also the site of the Cancer Treatment Centers of America's Southwest Regional Medical Center, one of only four such regional facilities and one of the largest cancer treatment hospitals in the nation.

there is a large medical complex just northeast of the city and south of the capital that would disagree with this statement

and then there's the BOK center....no doubt an attempt to cokk block the ford center from being one of the best venues in the state for concerts and sporting events around these parts...

now about those roads and highways in tulsa...

JohnnyMack
6/5/2009, 09:46 AM
OK. Cool.

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 09:49 AM
OK. Cool.

;) what did you say about hanson?

Mjcpr
6/5/2009, 10:12 AM
OK. Cool.

Yes, fool, all of that is an obvious attempt to outdo OKC what with the cancer hospitals and museums and architecture and such.

Mjcpr
6/5/2009, 10:13 AM
While I have no dog in this fight, I know my best friend is a Sergeant with the TPD and he has commented that the relationship between Taylor and his department isn't the greatest.

I don't doubt that at all, but I'm guessing the unions are not going to have a great relationship with any Mayor that is having to cut the budget when they are such a huge portion of it.

badger
6/5/2009, 10:19 AM
I think it upset a lot of people when the mayor chose the new police chief as a position under the mayor, appointed by the mayor, not a strictly TPD position. The current chief is an alum of the position returning to the job after a hiatus to Afghanistan, I think, so that probably softened the blow.

The fact that police may be up for the same furloughs (read: UNPAID TIME OFF!) as city employees might also upset the TPD.

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 10:23 AM
Yes, fool, all of that is an obvious attempt to outdo OKC what with the cancer hospitals and museums and architecture and such.

its called penii envy

Tulsa_Fireman
6/5/2009, 11:06 AM
its called penii envy

It's called you talking out of your ***.

The only competition between OKC and Tulsa in development is the one in the public's mind. Yes, OKC did one hell of a job with MAPS and is the very model of urban reclamation and development. Ask Jed, he'll tell ya all about it. Tulsa, however, has a market in the arts and is an attraction nationwide for its architecture and rich cultural history, displayed across the city from Gilcrease to Philbrook, Downtown to Greenwood.

Where's the competition? We build a venue able to hold the size of crowd for performers that want to put Tulsa on its list of stops due to a number of things, one of which being our rich musical history. A venue that outperforms our old Civic Center, while keeping our gems like the old girl on Brady and Cain's. A venue that enriches Tulsa and starts the reclamation process of our aging downtown. Established from a need defined years ago, refined through assistance of civic leaders from LaFortune and Kaiser, and outside help from successful cities such as Indianapolis. We stress our strong suits, we develop accordingly, and recreate Tulsa for years to come.

It has jack sh*t to do with Oklahoma City, champ.

It has EVERYTHING to do with Tulsa, and making our proud oil lady strong for the future.

Tulsa_Fireman
6/5/2009, 11:16 AM
Another thing...

The Cancer Treatment Center isn't a hospital complex like Presbyterian and OU Childrens. And it sure as hell ain't there in some pissing match between OKC and Tulsa. It is a thing to itself, exactly what the name implies.

A treatment center for those suffering specifically from cancer in all its horrid forms. It is residences for the families as they work through a number of treatments from the standard, to the holistic, to the spiritual. It is research and development, study and practice.

And it happens to be in Tulsa. Part of the complex also happens to be in my first-in run area and I've witnessed firsthand the amazing work they do. I've also witnessed firsthand the ravages of the cases they simply can't beat. Given this, I'd be happier than a pig in slop if there was one in every city, town, and neighborhood, INCLUDING Oklahoma City. But that's just not possible.

But that's right, this organization and facility is only in Tulsa because of the pissing match between us and OKC. How could I forget.

Stop being a tool. You're as funny as syphillis.

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 01:13 PM
It's called you talking out of your ***.

The only competition between OKC and Tulsa in development is the one in the public's mind.
including you. which by virtue of you simply being on here ragging me, tells us all that YOU think tulsa is better than okc

Yes, OKC did one hell of a job with MAPS and is the very model of urban reclamation and development. Ask Jed, he'll tell ya all about it. Tulsa, however, has a market in the arts and is an attraction nationwide for its architecture and rich cultural history, displayed across the city from Gilcrease to Philbrook, Downtown to Greenwood.

Where's the competition?
how bout every damn message board or newspaper article or simply people talking face to face that seems to think "they'll do things the right way instead of the way okc does things." "look at us. we have trees." our arena football team is better than yours" "our hockey team is better than yours. our new arena kicks yall's ***"

We build a venue able to hold the size of crowd for performers that want to put Tulsa on its list of stops due to a number of things, one of which being our rich musical history.
yeh. seems to be a huge list too. outside of the gap band and hanson...not so much
A venue that outperforms our old Civic Center, while keeping our gems like the old girl on Brady and Cain's. A venue that enriches Tulsa and starts the reclamation process of our aging downtown. Established from a need defined years ago, refined through assistance of civic leaders from LaFortune and Kaiser, and outside help from successful cities such as Indianapolis. We stress our strong suits, we develop accordingly, and recreate Tulsa for years to come.

It has jack sh*t to do with Oklahoma City, champ.

it has EVERYTHING to do with OKC, champ, cheif, whatever. the BOK was built specifically to rival the ford center.

It has EVERYTHING to do with Tulsa, and making our proud oil lady strong for the future.

oil lady? really?

like i said...tulsa = artfags

as far as your statement about the cancer centers... the medical feild should be in no competition at all but, claiming to be the worlds largest is opening your self up to speculation. there are SEVERAL centers dedicated to cancer research and treatment and damn fine ones all over the country and one of the best in my opinion is in chicago. i know FIRST hand.

thanks for your input, chief. you made the day go a lil faster which was all i was trying to accomplish.

Pricetag
6/5/2009, 01:20 PM
Dude, how can you be calling out other folks' penis envy when you're the one that brought the whole thing up unprovoked?

JohnnyMack
6/5/2009, 01:27 PM
Who was the dicknozzle that got on a thread about Tulsa's mayor and turned it into a ridiculous pissing contest?

sooner ngintunr
6/5/2009, 01:27 PM
Dude, how can you be calling out other folks' penis envy when you're the one that brought the whole thing up unprovoked?

Inferiority complex, my guess.

I've never heard ANY of those things said in Tulsa, except for the trees part, and boy they are nice! LOL.

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 01:35 PM

lol unprovoked? i simply said tulsa = artfags...my opinion...my right to say so. i wasn't the one who spent a good portion of my morning whining about ME ragging on tulsa...

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 01:36 PM
Inferiority complex, my guess.

I've never heard ANY of those things said in Tulsa, except for the trees part, and boy they are nice! LOL.

trust me lil man...nothing inferior here.

last thing ill say on this thread about this topic....

trust me, i couldn't care less about tulsa. i'm not fugging anyone from tulsa and noone from tulsa is paying my mortgage. i simply want someone up in that dumbassz armpit to stop arguing about who has the largest penis statue and do something about i-44 east bound. absolutely no reason the 45th largest city in the nation should have a 2 lane highway run through the middle of the fuggin city.

My Opinion Matters
6/5/2009, 01:37 PM
I think Tulsa might have slept with Jello's wife.

sooner ngintunr
6/5/2009, 01:40 PM
trust me lil man...nothing inferior here.

LMFAO!!

Exactly "lil man". You might want to check that definition. LOL.

thats sum funny shiit.

I'm out

JohnnyMack
6/5/2009, 01:41 PM

My girlfriend sucked 36 dicks!

In a row?.

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 01:42 PM

roflmao....nope shes from far western oklahoma...and more conservative than i am...don't argue with her...shes scratched the hell out of my neck one time (like drawing blood) and then walked by spraying windex on the wounds...

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 01:43 PM
LMFAO!!

Exactly "lil man". You might want to check that definition. LOL.

thats sum funny shiit.

I'm out

ummm ok...:rolleyes:

Position Limit
6/5/2009, 01:56 PM
having lived in both places, my opinion is that okc is a boring, drab, ugly city with a lot of fat women. driving around okc is truely depressing. there's gotta be alot of sucides there. sure they have a cute downtown blah blah. whatever. why anyone would pound thier chest about okc is out of insecurity or an ape complex. tulsa doesnt need to prove itself to anybody, especially okc. tulsa pisses on okc. with mayor taylor leaving office, things just keep getting better. taylor is a fraud.

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 01:59 PM
tulsa doesnt need to prove itself to anybody, especially okc.

and yet you still managed to type this on a keyboard..eventhough tulsa has nothing to prove. the art exhibit dedicated to fermunda cheese is down the street and to the left. move along.

Position Limit
6/5/2009, 02:02 PM
why are you so defensive?

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 02:06 PM
why are you so defensive?

not. just pointing out the irony in you posting "tulsa has nothing to prove to anyone" but, you're on a message board trying to change opinions.

Position Limit
6/5/2009, 02:15 PM
not trying to change any opinions, just giving a psa of life in okc. mostly downside. your unhappiness is a good example. now get back on defense.

Pricetag
6/5/2009, 02:16 PM
I voted for Don McCorkell in the Democratic primary for mayor. I thought he would have been pretty good. I don't dislike Mayor Taylor, but that whole business that was exposed before the election about her voting twice just turned me off.

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 02:19 PM
not trying to change any opinions, just giving a psa of life in okc. mostly downside. your unhappiness is a good example. now get back on defense.

rofl you have no idea how HAPPY i am. I have someone to argue with (although, im having a hard time fighting off the post lunch itis with your butter knife wit.) careful position, your moose knuckle is showing.

Okla-homey
6/5/2009, 05:42 PM
For the record, Obama is fixing our T-town roads as I type this. You can't swing a dead cat around town nowadays without hitting an orange cone or an asphalt truck. So there. :D

Tulsa_Fireman
6/6/2009, 05:58 PM
And the 2 lane interstate running through Tulsa?

Being widened as we speak.

tulsaoilerfan
6/6/2009, 06:08 PM
Doesn't she donate her mayor's salary to charity anyway? She's probably tired of taking all this crap for free :)