PDA

View Full Version : Maybe T. Boone has got some sense after all...

Fraggle145
6/4/2009, 04:53 PM
http://newsok.com/t.-boone-pickens-ou-is-the-team-to-beat/article/3374889?custom_click=lead_story_title

OSU football: T. Boone Pickens says OU is the team to beat
Comments Comment on this article26

BY JEFF LATZKE
Published: June 4, 2009

Over the years, billionaire booster T. Boone Pickens has invested quite a chunk of change in making Oklahoma State into a competitive football program.

That doesn’t mean he’s blind to what the Cowboys are up against.

"They’re going to have a good football team,” Pickens said Wednesday before a speech in Oklahoma City. "Oklahoma’s going to have a good football team. I’d say both schools. No question, OU.

"OU’s got to be the front-runner for the BCS.”

Maybe Pickens was just being realistic since the rival Sooners have won the past six Bedlam games and bring back Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford from the team that lost the BCS championship game to Florida in January. Or maybe he was trying to put the pressure on Oklahoma while his Cowboys enter a season with their highest expectations in years.

Oklahoma State went 9-4 last year and spent part of the season in the top 10. Most of the team’s key players — including quarterback Zac Robinson, tailback Kendall Hunter and receiver Dez Bryant — are back this season.

The rivals meet in the season finale Nov. 28 in Norman.

Pickens said he had Oklahoma State coaches and donors visit his Texas ranch last week for a brainstorming session on how to make the team better. The Cowboys plan to move into a new west end zone facility at Boone Pickens Stadium on Monday.

Pickens donated the money to renovate the stadium, including new suites atop the north and south stands and a new weight room, offices and dining area in the bowled-in west end zone.

"We talked about how we were going to be better and how we’re going to win,” Pickens said. "Some great ideas came out of there. Some of our donors were there. It was a good meeting.”

:pop:

JLEW1818
6/4/2009, 05:04 PM
the pumpkin bowl on Halloween is going to be sweet.

Breadburner
6/4/2009, 10:40 PM
T.Bone=Jerry Jones of college football....If a donor has to bring the coaching staff to his ranch to brainstorm about how to make the team better what does that say about your program......

stoops the eternal pimp
6/4/2009, 10:41 PM
too bad donors don't suit up and win football games

Crucifax Autumn
6/4/2009, 11:30 PM
Actually, in this particular case I'd like to see that!

sooner59
6/4/2009, 11:34 PM
T.Bone=Jerry Jones of college football....If a donor has to bring the coaching staff to his ranch to brainstorm about how to make the team better what does that say about your program......

Umm....yeah.

Crucifax Autumn
6/5/2009, 01:06 AM
I bet that was one sheephumpin' good time at tha ranch though!

OU_Sooners75
6/5/2009, 05:29 AM
Pickens said he had Oklahoma State coaches and donors visit his *Texas* ranch last week for a brainstorming session on how to make the team better. The Cowboys plan to move into a new west end zone facility at Boone Pickens Stadium on Monday.

So moving to the west end zonee will make them better?

"We talked about how we were going to be better and how we’re going to win,” Pickens said. "Some great ideas came out of there. Some of our donors were there. It was a good meeting.”

$$$$$$$$

Is Okie Lite about to start the pay to play aspect?

badger
6/5/2009, 07:21 AM
Kansas apparently had an idea where you could buy half-season tix if you couldn't afford full season tix.

With OSU, that would have allowed fans to either get the first half of the season where they try to take out the SEC dawgs, or the second half of the season with their annual "We think we can beat Texas... oh noes, here comes the fourth quarter."

I think this would have vastly improved their attendance. Texas is almost a bigger game than Georgia this year for them. Of course, nothing compares to when the fair weather fan cheatin' gooners come to town :rolleyes:

goingoneight
6/5/2009, 09:26 AM
The second half of the season ain't too kind to Okie State lately.

sooner ngintunr
6/5/2009, 09:33 AM
He's master of the obvious.

goingoneight
6/5/2009, 09:38 AM
I love that sound byte they play on 1430 all the time with the violins and the weird "paid for... by T. Boone Pickens." voice. It's from one of his foreign oil awareness commercials, I think.

SoonerInFortSmith
6/5/2009, 10:33 AM

Sounds like he's dedicated to me. He didn't just mail in a check and say, "Good luck."
He wanted to make sure there was some good sheephumpin for his money.

badger
6/5/2009, 10:56 AM
Perhaps its time to give credit where it's due.

:les: This is not your daddy's OSU, where victories over OU were few or nonexistent.

Nor is it your mother's (of children) OSU, where rushing the field was a given if a victory over OU actually happened. [hairGel]

:eddie: This is not the OSU that would sellout basketball games to the rafters before it would sell half of it's football stadium for a non-OU game.

:stunned: This is the OSU that we actually have to flip cartwheels into the endzone to beat.

UberSooner
6/5/2009, 10:58 AM
Pickens doesn't make donations, he makes investments. If Okie State doesn't win, he will break up the university and sell it off. I say when that happens we buy their Stadium on the cheap for intramurals and rugby.

badger
6/5/2009, 11:04 AM
Pickens doesn't make donations, he makes investments. If Okie State doesn't win, he will break up the university and sell it off. I say when that happens we buy their Stadium on the cheap for intramurals and rugby.

I hear there's already numerous OU's in the brickwork (revenge by bricklayers for the firing of the guy who put the original one in), so our teams should feel right at home :D

OU GENO
6/5/2009, 08:37 PM
Tbone=Jerry Jones!

walkoffsooner
6/6/2009, 05:51 AM
Since OU went wind power he is a big fan

stoopified
6/6/2009, 10:23 AM
Since OU went wind power he is a big fanThat is because T.Boone is full of hot air.