PDA

View Full Version : Looks like David Carradine

OU4LIFE
6/4/2009, 09:15 AM
managed to snatch the death from his masters hand.

CNN- -- 'Kung Fu' star David Carradine has been found dead in a hotel in Bangkok, Thailand, according to his manager.

OKLA21FAN
6/4/2009, 09:19 AM
no more Grasshopper

Chuck Bao
6/4/2009, 09:30 AM
This article is on the Nation's website.

Dang, that is sad.

David Carradine found dead in Bangkok

Kung Fu and Kill Bill star David Carradine was found hung in a hotel room in Bangkok on Wednesday, Thai police said.

"Kung Fu" and "Kill Bill" star David Carradine was found hung himself in a closet in a hotel room in Bangkok on Wednesday, Thai police said.

Police believed he committed suicide.

Carradine, 72, was in Bangkok to shoot a movie and stayed at a Suite Room 352 of the Park Nai Lert Hotel on Wireless Road since June 2.

The film crew were aware of his absence when they went to dine out at a restaurant on Sathorn Road on June 3.

Carradine did not show up at the dinner and the team could not reach him. They assumed that he took a rest because of his age.

It was a hotel's maid who opened his suite on Thursday at 10 am only to find Carradine in a closet. He was described as behind half naked.

Police investigation showed that he hung himself with a rope, the kind that is used with curtains.

Police said he was dead for not less than 12 hours and found no sign of fighting and assaults.

Kung Fu Man

Aside from Quentin Tarantino's twopart "Kill Bill" in 200304, Carradine was perhaps best known for his role as the fugitive halfChinese Shaolin monk Kwai Chang Caine in the 1970s easternwestern TV drama "Kung Fu". He also starred in Martin Scorsese's "Boxcar Bertha" in 1972, portrayed folksinger Woody Guthrie in "Bound for Glory" in 1976, acted in Ingmar Bergman's "The Serpent's Egg" in 1977 and costarred with half brothers Keith Carradine and Robert Carradine in the 1980 western "The Long Riders".

His father was the noted actor John Carradine.

In Thai cinemas, Carradine was recently seen as a martialarts guru in the Rob Schneider comedy "Big Stan" and as a perverted elderly Chinese mobster in "Crank: High Voltage" starring Jason Statham.

TUSooner
6/4/2009, 10:29 AM
bummer

TheHumanAlphabet
6/4/2009, 11:21 AM
If he was working, why would he do this? Unless the film was so bad he wanted out...

olevetonahill
6/4/2009, 11:24 AM
Dayum
Im feeling Old :eek:

KC//CRIMSON
6/4/2009, 12:09 PM
bummer

major....

KABOOKIE
6/4/2009, 12:12 PM
Bruce Lee woulda never done a stupid Yellow Book dot cooooooooom commercial.

swardboy
6/4/2009, 12:16 PM
Dayum
Im feeling Old :eek:

No.Kidding. "Kung Fu" was must watching in the dorm in '72. This would mean he was near 40 in the tv series. I would have thought late 20's.

Good night, sweet grasshopper.....

Tailwind
6/4/2009, 12:44 PM
How sad. I watched Kung Fu religiously as a young adult.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/4/2009, 12:58 PM
Jennifer Anniston as Joanna in Office Space would just die and be really sad...

Sooner98
6/4/2009, 05:21 PM
Seems odd that a 72-year old would commit suicide. How sad.

LosAngelesSooner
6/4/2009, 05:22 PM
I was in one of his last films in a scene with him and Danny Trejo. (verrrry tiny part)

He was a really nice guy. And he read all his lines from cue cards.

royalfan5
6/4/2009, 05:24 PM
I'm gonna watch Death Race 2000 now.

SbOrOiNaEnR
6/4/2009, 05:28 PM
I was in one of his last films in a scene with him and Danny Trejo. (verrrry tiny part)

The rapist from Con Air?

olevetonahill
6/4/2009, 05:37 PM

So yer the reason huh :eek:

LosAngelesSooner
6/4/2009, 06:10 PM
He tried to match me shot for shot.

Not a wise move. ;)

Chuck Bao
6/4/2009, 06:11 PM
Thai police always jump the gun, so to speak, in these types of situations.

I wish they wouldn't do that. They like the spotlight and then they are all for protecting Thailand's image and it appears the hotel image. I'm not so sure why they gave out the suite number.

It is an old hotel, but still very good with excellent food.

Park Nai Lert Hotel is a 10-minute walk from my office and part of my standard tour of Bangkok, largely because of the Nai Lert shrine behind the hotel.

This is just so sad. Like many of you, I wouldn't miss any episodes of the Kung Fu TV series when I was a kid. That was my first impression of Asian culture. Although America wasn't ready for a Asian actor in the lead role at that time, it still gave me a sense of a bigger world out there.

So, rest in peace, David Carradine.

stoops the eternal pimp
6/4/2009, 08:03 PM
thats a long life to live just to end it like that

Okla-homey
6/4/2009, 08:11 PM
It was a hotel's maid who opened his suite on Thursday at 10 am only to find Carradine in a closet. He was described as behind half naked.

Police investigation showed that he hung himself with a rope, the kind that is used with curtains.

Police said he was dead for not less than 12 hours and found no sign of fighting and assaults.

Hmmm. No signs of violence or forced entry, he's hanging half-naked by the neck in a closet.

Now, no disrespect for the man who starred in the very first "appointment TV viewing" I recall -- heck, I even had an "Alladin" "Kung Fu" lunchbox, but...they used to call that sort of thing "auto-erotic death."

Perhaps the kink-ophiles still flock to Bangkok. That said, the Juicy girls know to take the Heroin and everything of value with them when they leave.

jiminy
6/4/2009, 09:28 PM
He didn't kill himself... or didn't mean to... just tried to get real close... ya know? AEA?

GottaHavePride
6/4/2009, 09:30 PM
The rapist from Con Air?

Yeah. And the hit man from Desperado.

soonerloyal
6/4/2009, 09:34 PM
I'm an old broad, plain as day, no frills, by no means a conspiracy theorist - but somethin' about this just doesn't sit right with me.

I just find it hard to swallow that somebody like him, where he placed himself and when and why, to just end it like that...

Nope.

Some weird shat. Fer shure. Ain't what it seems.

JMOHOFWIW.

Soonerus
6/4/2009, 09:35 PM
I'm an old broad, plain as day, no frills, by no means a conspiracy theorist - but somethin' about this just doesn't sit right with me.

I just find it hard to swallow that somebody like him, where he placed himself and when and why, to just end it like that...

Nope.

Some weird shat. Fer shure. Ain't what it seems.

JMOHOFWIW.

I agree, it just makes no sense at all...

MojoRisen
6/5/2009, 09:49 AM
Maybe, one of the owners of the new production had him whacked so he can further promote the movie being his last???

Either that or he was terminally ill or something... Doesn't make sense

Howzit
6/5/2009, 09:59 AM
Maybe, one of the owners of the new production had him whacked so he can further promote the movie being his last???

Either that or he was terminally ill or something... Doesn't make sense

Apparently whacking was, in fact, involved. Unfortunately, oxygen was not.

MojoRisen
6/5/2009, 10:00 AM
Your probably right!

KC//CRIMSON
6/5/2009, 11:09 AM
David Carradine's manager suspects foul play and revealed the actor had his hands tied behind his back, according to TMZ:

Chuck Binder, Carradine's manager, tells us he firmly believes Carradine did not take his own life -- nor does he think David died accidentally. Binder says the family has been told Carradine's hands were immobilized by the rope.

Carradine was found by a hotel maid Thursday morning with a rope tied around his neck and another around his genitals in a Bangkok hotel room.

Chuck Bao
6/5/2009, 11:21 AM
I was also wondering that if his hands were bound, how he did that himself.

There are so many rumors and stories. One news article mentioned that there was a footprint on the bed that didn't match Carradine's shoes.

We may not get the full story. Five-star hotels do not like to admit that they allow certain type of visitors into the guest's room and the Thai police are not known for their investigative skills. They usually make their immediate announcement (as they did in this case) and case closed. The autospy results won't be known for three weeks and they probably think people will have forgotten about it by then. His body was flown back to the US today.

OUAlumni1990
6/5/2009, 06:58 PM
He didn't kill himself... or didn't mean to... just tried to get real close... ya know? AEA?

Yeah, it kinda sounds like it. Death Michael Hutchence style.

Lott's Bandana
6/5/2009, 07:04 PM

How very Gonzo of him.

PhilTLL
6/6/2009, 10:07 AM

All I know about this particular circumstance is that the ticker on E! says AEA is suspected, but to clarify this, old people actually have a high suicide rate. It would seem odd that a famous and not-poor old person would knock off, but old people suicide in general shouldn't be surprising.

From the NIMH (http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/suicide-in-the-us-statistics-and-prevention/index.shtml#adults):

Are older adults at risk?

Older Americans are disproportionately likely to die by suicide.

* Of every 100,000 people ages 65 and older, 14.3 died by suicide in 2004. This figure is higher than the national average of 10.9 suicides per 100,000 people in the general population.
* Non-Hispanic white men age 85 or older had an even higher rate, with 17.8 suicide deaths per 100,000.

stoopified
6/6/2009, 07:52 PM
Sad

Chuck Bao
6/6/2009, 09:08 PM
I had lunch at the hotel yesterday and got to talk with the hotel manager for about 10 minutes. No extra insight into the case, but he said that he was a huge fan of the Kung Fu series. He said that his father wept when he told him the news. I guess that Kung Fu series not only introduced me to Chinese culture as a young kid in the US, but it was also very popular in Asia even though David Carradine was obviously not Asian. There was no tribute planned here. No flowers or book signing. The manager said to log on to the David Carradine website and post my respects there.

Sooner_Bob
6/8/2009, 07:49 AM
Bruce Lee woulda never done a stupid Yellow Book dot cooooooooom commercial.

This.

royalfan5
6/8/2009, 04:09 PM
http://dlisted.com/node/32414

Carradine's lawyer suspects ninja involvement.

Chuck Bao
6/8/2009, 04:30 PM
Heh! Thanks for that link, royalfan. The whole ninja theory is perplexing.

I am always too scared to look at the Thai language newspapers Thai Rath and Daily News. Typically, it is some decapitated body from a road accident. I could see that they would put that pic on their front page.

TheHumanAlphabet
6/10/2009, 12:38 PM
So what about the autoerotica asphyxiation claim that was made?