PDA

View Full Version : 2 deep on the OL?

TJKDone
6/4/2009, 01:50 AM
Who will be playing on the OL besides Williams, Simmons, and Brandon?

Hook'em

SoonerFrance
6/4/2009, 09:45 AM
I've heard Brent Rawls and Donta Hickson have returned to occupy the last 2 spots. Look for extensive use of fumblerooski. '09 figures to dazzle. :D

badger
6/4/2009, 10:03 AM

Hook'em

Sammie's so awesome he doesn't NEED an O-Line anymore. He has ascended to Mount Olympus for god status. Let he who questions Sammie be the first to get cast a bolt of lightning at :D

(our blasphemy is not Florida's blasphemy, because they think Tivo is Jesus, whereas we still use little-g god in speaking of Sam)

oudivesherpa
6/4/2009, 10:08 AM
Sammie's so awesome he doesn't NEED an O-Line anymore. He has ascended to Mount Olympus for god status. Let he who questions Sammie be the first to get cast a bolt of lightning at :D

(our blasphemy is not Florida's blasphemy, because they think Tivo is Jesus, whereas we still use little-g god in speaking of Sam)

But if our religion is OU football can we use the big G when speaking of Sam?

PS--
We worship at the altar of victory.

NormanPride
6/4/2009, 10:27 AM
If I have learned one lesson from my years at OU, it is to not mock the Christian God. ;)

badger
6/4/2009, 10:46 AM
But if our religion is OU football can we use the big G when speaking of Sam?

PS--
We worship at the altar of victory.

It is possible to have more than one religion, just so that we recognize that one religion comes with big G, the other comes with little g.

Since OU football has so many deities, I suggest we little-g them all so that they can be adored with equal affection.

TJKDone
6/4/2009, 01:19 PM
Am I to assume that Coach Wilson is going to suit up to stand in the gap for all the guys that didn't make the cut to play for him?

Hook'em

badger
6/4/2009, 01:23 PM
Am I to assume that Coach Wilson is going to suit up to stand in the gap for all the guys that didn't make the cut to play for him?

Unlike Texaz, where the only qualifications to suit up are to (a) not be under arrest, (b) have at least four stars on any recruiting site, including your mom's, or (c) be from the state of Texaz,and the only things that will get you the boot is (a) to not keep your racist facebook profile more secret, (b) to refuse Macc Braun's advances, or (c) be in jail until your eligibility runs out, OU has standards.

At OU, you must have the class of two upstanding citizens and the talent of two highly talented players... thus, when you say we are only "2 deep at OL," we are actually "too deep" and long story short, YOU LOSE, go back to San Diego.

soonerfan28
6/5/2009, 10:14 AM
Stephen Good will probably be the left guard w/Habern getting the nod at center w/the transfer of Hannan. RT is a toss up but could go to Brandon and Jarvis Jones will play somewhere even if it's coming off the bench.

rainiersooner
6/5/2009, 10:27 AM
Stephen Good will probably be the left guard w/Habern getting the nod at center w/the transfer of Hannan. RT is a toss up but could go to Brandon and Jarvis Jones will play somewhere even if it's coming off the bench.

Thank you for answering the question! :D

SoonerInFortSmith
6/5/2009, 10:29 AM

That sounds like a pretty darn serviceable O-line to me.:meat:

OU_Sooners75
6/5/2009, 03:11 PM
Better question....

What will 'saxeT patchwork DL look like?

No need to answer the question...becuase I really do not give a ****!

Jello Biafra
6/5/2009, 03:55 PM
Better question....

What will 'saxeT patchwork DL look like?

No need to answer the question...becuase I really do not give a ****!

indeed. hows that linebacking corps shaping up?

beep! times up! have a nice cold glass of shut yer crack on your trip backstage!

CrimsonJim
6/5/2009, 03:58 PM
^^^^ That's funny shat right thar....I don't care who ya are!!! :D

TJKDone
6/5/2009, 11:59 PM

Good almost certainly will be a good if not great player for OU eventually. Did he redshirt last year?

Is Habern a JUCO recruit playing for the first time at OU?

Hook'em

tigepilot
6/6/2009, 12:24 AM

Hook'em

As crappy as texas defensive front will be next year, I don't know if it will matter to you. ;)

JLEW1818
6/6/2009, 12:26 AM
Good played some last year as a true Freshman... so now he is a sophomore

Habern played some last year, but got a medical RS... so he is still a Freshman

TJKDone
6/6/2009, 12:28 AM
As crappy as *Texas* defensive front will be next year, I don't know if it will matter to you. ;)

Well there won't be anyone starting who hasn't played a down for the team.

Hook'em

JLEW1818
6/6/2009, 12:40 AM
Good played, Habern played, T. Williams has played a little bit... i think????ha.
C. Brandon has played......

so whats your point dude? OUr guys have played too

JLEW1818
6/6/2009, 12:42 AM
Brian Simmons has played too...

OU_Sooners75
6/6/2009, 01:17 AM
Good almost certainly will be a good if not great player for OU eventually. Did he redshirt last year?

Is Habern a JUCO recruit playing for the first time at OU?

Hook'em

There is this sweet new service. It is called the internet.

On the internet, you can search for answers you have, instead of asking people on the message board.

It is actually a sweet *** tool that we find useful from time to time.

To find your answer, ask it here. (http://www.google.com)

Seamus
6/6/2009, 01:19 AM
1. You're a Horn. In some cases, I can forgive that.

Go to Step 2

2. Your sig irritates me. But I have a sense of humor.

Go to Step 3

3. Yer a wee girly man of a koont, now aren't ya, boyo? But not everyone can be Scotch or Irish.

Go to Step 4

4. You keep posting "hook 'em" like some wee London fairy with 'is brand-new fly-castin' rig. That's red-spek for you, boyo!

Knippz
6/6/2009, 01:29 AM
Well there won't be anyone starting who hasn't played a down for the team.

Hook'em

Just because they played a down has no indication that they'll be good.

Also, you look obnoxious when you post Hook'em after every post you make.

Boomer

Knippz
6/6/2009, 01:33 AM
Better question....

What will *'saxeT* patchwork DL look like?

No need to answer the question...because I really do not give a ****!

Fixed

TJKDone
6/6/2009, 02:25 AM
I couldn't find any info on either Good or Habern. Looks like Brandon played in 9 games? How much did Good/Habern play?

Habern must not have played much to have received a medical RS. Did Good get any meaningful time or was it just spot duty in a couple of games?

Hook'em

JLEW1818
6/6/2009, 11:42 AM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/okla-m-footbl-mtt.html

Good was a 5 star recruit, too..... cant hurt

Now I am the type of guy who sees things both ways. OUr offensive line gets to go against the best defensive line (in the country) every day in practice... your defensive line gets to go against a top 5 offensive line... I'm sure that will help both....

but in the end, who ever rushes for the most yards will win the RRS.... it all happens up front..

TJKDone
6/6/2009, 12:36 PM
[url]
but in the end, who ever rushes for the most yards will win the RRS.... it all happens up front..

Agreed. I am just glad that Venables is running things on the defensive side. Your D looks to be very good this coming year even if there isn't a super Roy playing for it.

I also like Muschamp vs. Wilson on gameday. I just haven't seen you guys "keeping us off gaurd" for several seasons. As much as Chuck Long was criticized on the Soonerfans board, I felt like he was a great game day coach that hasn't been replaced.

Hook'em

soonerfan28
6/6/2009, 12:37 PM
Brian Simmons has played too...

I think Simmons will stay at RG even though the experience would be nice on the left. He's been a nice player since his move from DT.

JLEW1818
6/6/2009, 12:38 PM
You like Good at left guard?

soonerfan28
6/6/2009, 12:42 PM
Yea, I think having an experienced player on both sides of the ball would be a smart move and I think if Good can translate what he does in the weight room to the field then we could have a great line next year.

TXBOOMER
6/6/2009, 06:12 PM
I couldn't find any info on either Good or Habern. Looks like Brandon played in 9 games? How much did Good/Habern play?

Habern must not have played much to have received a medical RS. Did Good get any meaningful time or was it just spot duty in a couple of games?

Hook'em

Good would be starting for for you guys if he would have chose to go there. He will be a stud. You need to worry about your OL. How the fock are they going to move the ball on OUr Defense?

TJKDone
6/7/2009, 03:56 AM
Good would be starting for for you guys if he would have chose to go there. He will be a stud. You need to worry about your OL. How the fock are they going to move the ball on OUr Defense?

Not to flame, but moving the ball against you guys hasn't been a real big issue lately. How are we going to do it:

1) Our OL is among the best in the nation according to most, including SoonerFan posters on this thread.

2) Our QB is an elite player that has seen to it that the ball has moved quite well against you his entire carreer.

3) We are MUCH more experienced at WR this year than last year when we well moved the ball pretty well...

What makes you think your D will achieve the elite status that it never has under Venables-only leadership?

Hook'em

OU_Sooners75
6/7/2009, 04:24 AM
Not to flame, but moving the ball against you guys hasn't been a real big issue lately. How are we going to do it:

1) Our OL is among the best in the nation according to most, including SoonerFan posters on this thread.

2) Our QB is an elite player that has seen to it that the ball has moved quite well against you his entire carreer.

3) We are MUCH more experienced at WR this year than last year when we well moved the ball pretty well...

What makes you think your D will achieve the elite status that it never has under Venables-only leadership?

Hook'em

Okay dude...jsut stop!

I may be one of the biggest haters here when it comes to BV...buthe is stilla top 10 defensive coordinator in the land. I just do not agree with his philosphy.

Also...stop acting line saxeT was able to do anything against OU until RR went down.

Once he went down, that is when saxeT was able to move the ball!

What makes you think Muschamp will actually make it where ssaxeT wins a championship?

And FTR....Ou's offense >>>> saxeT defense! OU's defense = saxeT offense!

IronHorseSooner
6/7/2009, 07:39 AM
It's not that the O-Line will be worse next year, just different. Last year, in the RRR, the biggest problem for our Offense was Orakpo using Loadholt as a traffic cone. Last year's line had problems with speed rushers, especially off of the left side. Duke and The Load were mammoth, but not that agile. This year, the line looks to be more agile, and maybe even more disciplined. I really don't remember T-Will giving up a sack last year, and I have seen several draft boards that have him going in the Top 10. Simmons and Brandon have been good back ups for a few years now, and Good and Habern were two of the most talented at their positions in the nation coming out of HS. These guys seem to be more athletic, and made for this offense.

TXBOOMER
6/7/2009, 07:43 AM

Hook'em

Lately OUr D has not been anywhere near as experienced as it will be this year. If you know anything about football, you know as well as I do when Ryan Reynolds went down last year the game changed. OUr defense is now very experienced. We will field our most talented and game experienced D against you guys as we have in several years. Stoops has just as much input on our D as ever. I have confidence in BV like any other good coach with good experienced players he will be very successful. You can be confident but the defense that will take the field this year should be our best in several years.

IronHorseSooner
6/7/2009, 07:54 AM
You can be confident but the defense that will take the field this year should be our best in several years.

Heck, we could probably field a defense with just our D-Line and would be Top Five next year. Again, just how will Texas, or anybody for that matter, move the ball against that defense. There are, at least, five NFL guys on that line. On different mock draft boards, I have seen four of them (McCoy, Granger, English, and Beal), going in the first round, even though I think English's injuries will likely move him to the second or third. That's not even talking about a LB corps that goes three deep with talent, and we have the second best group of CBs (only behind FLA) in the country. Even Pony Boy won't be able to consistently move the ball. And, once again, just who is going to run the ball for Texas? If they don't figure that out, then we will see more scenes of DeMarcus Granger jumping on Colt's back:D

JLEW1818
6/7/2009, 10:14 AM

Hook'em

hmmm..... i do recall a game in 2004, where yall didn't score very many points... i can't remember how many points though, help me out. ?

Curly Bill
6/7/2009, 03:51 PM

I for one agree that this is a legitimate point.

OU_Sooners75
6/7/2009, 04:46 PM
I for one agree that this is a legitimate point.

CB, you and I have been the most outspoken about BV here.

With that said, you have to give the guy some credit. Under BV, we have won 4 conference titles and been to 3 national championships.

He has not been perfect, but, minus last season, he has been consistent.

I feel sick for defending the man, but he is a top 10, hell maybe even top 5 defensive coordinators in the business.

I just dispise his defensive philosphy of bend but do not break. I would much rather get burned on about 7-10 plays in a season than allow 20+ points a game all season! Agressiveness is what defense is all about, I hope BV will eventually learn that!

Curly Bill
6/7/2009, 07:04 PM
The only consistency BV has shown is the consistent ability to each and every season have a game or two where our defense appears to have no clue, and BV appears to have no clue in the midst of the game what to do either -- witness the saxet game this past season, where if the game was still going on we still would not even think about covering Shipley over the middle.

...and yes I know RR was hurt, but would it have killed BV to make some sort of adjustment to take away the one play that kept killing us.

Curly Bill
6/7/2009, 07:06 PM
I will give BV one bit of credit -- it looked like he finally learned that on 3rd and 5 it's OK to have your cornerbacks playing closer than 12 yards off the receiver. :rolleyes:

OU_Sooners75
6/7/2009, 07:29 PM
The only consistency BV has shown is the consistent ability to each and every season have a game or two where our defense appears to have no clue, and BV appears to have no clue in the midst of the game what to do either -- witness the saxet game this past season, where if the game was still going on we still would not even think about covering Shipley over the middle.

...and yes I know RR was hurt, but would it have killed BV to make some sort of adjustment to take away the one play that kept killing us.

Trust me, I agree 100% with what you are thinkin and sayin.

However, I also think that is when Bob Stoops needs to step in and do something about it, if his coordinators arent.