PDA

View Full Version : Brennan Clay set to Visit - We are in Top 3

MojoRisen
6/3/2009, 10:40 AM
This is the kind of guy I think we need, he can be a reciever or a RB in the mold of Murray and Madu. Dude had 1400 yards rushing and 1000 recieving...

As a 2008 junior at San Diego (Calif.) Scripps Ranch, Brennan Clay became the first player in San Diego history to receive and rush for over 1,000 yards. He had 1,055 yards receiving on 70 catches (six TDs) and 1,486 yards rushing on 170 carries (27 TDs). Clay also had two touchdowns off kick-returns. He says he can bench 310-pounds, squat 425 and has a 33-inch vertical jump.
Started for Scripps Ranch HS in San Diego at running back as a freshman in 2006. Ran for eight touchdowns and scored another on a kickoff return.

Clay also runs track and says he may consider doing both sports in college. He runs the 100m (10.91), 200m (22.1) and long jumps (22’11”).

Clay plans on majoring in business and minoring in communications. He reports a 3.8 core GPA and took the SAT on May 2.

Clay: “I like being a leader. I think I can make the clutch plays and I’m always trying to keep my team motivated and going.

“I’m a one-cut-and-go-type of running back. I don’t do a lot of dancing.”

“There’s plenty of things I can improve. I want to do more drills and especially the cone drills. I want to become more elusive and have more explosion too.”

Scout.com Combine Results (full list):
Year: 2009
Height: 5-11
Weight: 187
Short Shuttle: 4.36
Broad Jump: 9-8

CatfishSooner
6/3/2009, 03:45 PM
sounds pretty legit...

maybe gain a few LBs...

Fraggle145
6/3/2009, 04:29 PM
who else is on his list of schools?

goingoneight
6/3/2009, 06:26 PM
I can't call him Murray until I see some film on him. Murray has a very unique ability to make people miss and all the athletic tools to compliment it. Some guys are good and/or great players, but Murray's special to this offense when he's healthy.

That said... bring him on... those are good numbers by anyone's standards.

MojoRisen
6/4/2009, 01:10 PM
who else is on his list of schools?

Looks like OU, Oregon and Michigan are his top 3 right now. These are the only 3 visit's set up.

oudivesherpa
6/4/2009, 07:34 PM
Looks like OU, Oregon and Michigan are his top 3 right now. These are the only 3 visit's set up.

For an LA player maybe he has figured out that if he goes to USC he may have a couple of seasons when USC will be on probation and won't go bowling. Of course I believe in Justice, Law and Order and the American Way.
I also believe in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny.:D

OU-HSV
6/4/2009, 08:57 PM
Sounds like a great athlete. Hope we get him

Here's the rivals link to him:
http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=79089&Sport=1

OU-HSV
6/4/2009, 09:21 PM
And here's a video on youtube.com. At the 2:24 mark, he breaks a nice long td run. And before that he has a couple of long receptions on this video clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGm4tBVsabY

And here's a little bit about him on ESPN:
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=68996&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d689 96

Evaluation

With his good pass catching production out of the backfield, Clay may get recruited as a multi-purpose back but we see more of a complete package at the next level. Size, speed, in-line toughness -- its all there with this guy. Has a strong, compact frame and very good potential body composition (with some added bulk) to remain durable at the next level and carry the load. Attacks the hole and reaches top-speed very quickly. Wastes little time squaring up and finding the nearest north-south seam. Picks and darts well through initial traffic rarely giving defenders a clean shot or takes unnecessary lateral cuts. Finds the shortest distance to the endzone. Able to still cut sharply and decisively at full steam to make the first defender miss through the hole or hit the cutback crease. Great initial momentum, balance, lean and low center of gravity allows him to consistently bounce off first contact. Keeps his feet driving when wrapped up showing good second effort and determination. Shows he can stop-start, jump-cut and change speeds when he breaks free in the second level; deceptively very elusive. Very dynamic as he can line up in the slot and flash very impressive hands and polished receiving skills. Shows good speed in the second level but not a burner and can run high at times hindering his elusiveness, balance and ability to avoid lower-body tackles. May be a bit straight-lined and projects better in a downhill scheme than an open spread with a heavy emphasis on outside zone schemes where he will be running more east-west. That said, there may not be a more dynamic back in this class in terms of running and receiving skills. Very productive and and underrated at this time with his versatility. Clay could fit into a number of different roles at the next level, but we feel he will excel as a featured, every down back. Expect recruiting to heat up this spring.

Curly Bill
6/5/2009, 06:04 PM
It's just out on Rivals and Scout that he's one of us.

OUbasketball4life
6/5/2009, 09:14 PM
Sweet pickup smart in the class and outstanding on the football field

JLEW1818
6/5/2009, 09:31 PM
COMMITTED.. YAH!!!!!

JLEW1818
6/5/2009, 09:32 PM
So, we got a top 3 QB, and a top 3 RB.. NICE!

Salt City Sooner
6/5/2009, 11:33 PM
First RB OU has pulled out of California since Glyn Milburn back in '88. Here's to him sticking around just a tad longer.

goingoneight
6/8/2009, 12:30 PM
It will be interesting to see how he develops physically if he's coming in to play RB. As stated above, maybe they put a little more weight on him like we did DM, maybe he becomes something of the Madu mold because of his receiving skills.

soonerfan28
6/8/2009, 12:55 PM
I think we'll be set at RB after 09 when Murray could jump to the NFL and CB graduates. Johnson, Calhoun, Madu and the Miller kid from last years class will give us some nice options and if Clay sticks w/his commitment we'll have to find away to get everybody some snaps.

JLEW1818
6/8/2009, 05:16 PM
I think we'll be set at RB after 09 when Murray could jump to the NFL and CB graduates. Johnson, Calhoun, Madu and the Miller kid from last years class will give us some nice options and if Clay sticks w/his commitment we'll have to find away to get everybody some snaps.

yep... we are looking good at running back for the next couple years.

NCSooner18
6/8/2009, 06:48 PM
First RB OU has pulled out of California since Glyn Milburn back in '88. Here's to him sticking around just a tad longer.

Did Milburn quit to play baseball or am I thinking of someonw else?

bringit
6/8/2009, 07:42 PM
Did Milburn quit to play baseball or am I thinking of someonw else?

I think he transferred to Stanford. Maybe some of the other oldtimers can chime in.

Salt City Sooner
6/9/2009, 12:28 AM
I think he transferred to Stanford. Maybe some of the other oldtimers can chime in.
Correct. He went on to have a 9 year career in the league with Denver, Chicago, & San Diego, as a 3rd down back/kick/punt returner.

NCSooner18
6/9/2009, 06:22 PM
Correct. He went on to have a 9 year career in the league with Denver, Chicago, & San Diego, as a 3rd down back/kick/punt returner.

I remember that now...thanks.