PDA

View Full Version : the old lady bought me some habaneros

picasso
6/2/2009, 10:33 PM
at the farmers market up in KC a week ago. cut one up on some nachos tonight. not sure I've ever been that hot.

you guys ever gargle milk? I have now.

Curly Bill
6/2/2009, 10:47 PM
Ain't ya seen Dumb and Dumber? You're sposed to use ketchup and mustard.

YWIA

picasso
6/2/2009, 10:54 PM
heh. and turbo lax.

Tailwind
6/3/2009, 01:45 AM
No ****!

Fraggle145
6/3/2009, 02:06 AM
Heh, Habanero's ain't shat. I make my salsa with em.

The only thing that has ever made me gargle milk is:

http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/mlm7298_2052_3120104

walkoffsooner
6/3/2009, 07:59 AM
at the farmers market up in KC a week ago. cut one up on some nachos tonight. not sure I've ever been that hot.

I picked one off the plant a few years ago and took a bite. I gargled ice for the first time,

swardboy
6/3/2009, 08:12 AM
I had a pasta dish with habanero in it several years ago in Destin....a once in a lifetime experience....I'll assure you!

OUDoc
6/3/2009, 08:17 AM

That wasn't milk.

picasso
6/3/2009, 08:37 AM
ba-dump crash!

C&CDean
6/3/2009, 09:41 AM
Heh, Habanero's ain't shat. I make my salsa with em.

The only thing that has ever made me gargle milk is:

http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/mlm7298_2052_3120104

Come to a tailgate and take the challenge.

My wife pickles and cans habaneros. We usually have a mason jar of them at the tailgates, slice into nacho type rings. She puts a skull and crossbones on the jar and writes HOT!! all over it. Some people don't believe her.

Soonergeek (who doesn't post near often enough) was putting the fixins' on a burger a couple years ago. He comes to the habaneros, and I said "what I do is take one ring, cut it in 4 pieces, and place them strategically on the burger and it makes it just right." He goes "nah, I'm good, and scoops up about 6-7 of the rings and throws them on the burger like you would jalapeno slices. He never got to his second bite of the burger before he was having those involuntary spasm/hiccup dealios and gasping for breath. He's pouring water and beer down the hatch, and finally starts sucking ice. After about 20 minutes he goes "damn, those are the hottest things I've ever put in my mouth. I still can't taste anything, and I'm burning and numb from my nose to my chin. Those things are poison."

A jar of them will last you a long time.

Fraggle145
6/3/2009, 09:54 AM
Damn, Dean that actually sounds pretty delicious. I really do need to make it over to the tailgate sometime this year. I will make a point of it.

I really want to try some of these:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/11/photogalleries/elephant-pictures/images/primary/1_461.jpg

Ghost Chiles

Now the worlds hottest pepper by Guiness. They use them in India to scare of Elephants. I was googling around it seems like you can get the seeds pretty easy.

NormanPride
6/3/2009, 10:35 AM
I've always liked spicy things, but I've never understood the point if you can't taste what you're eating because of it. The flavor of some of these peppers is fantastic, but if you have too much it's washed away in pain. That's no bueno.

picasso
6/3/2009, 11:00 AM
agreed, I'm a Tabasco guy and I like to load certain things with jalapenos but the habanero things must be taken in moderation.

I've spoken with a few lads on here about the wonderfulness of Mrs. Renfro's Mango Habanero Salsa.

Fraggle145
6/3/2009, 11:20 AM
I like the sweet smoky flavors of Habaneros.

If you cant taste em, you gotta practice.

Collier11
6/3/2009, 11:51 AM
That wasn't milk.

:D

Collier11
6/3/2009, 11:53 AM
I would love to take the challenge, not saying I would win but I do love hot food

Fraggle145
6/3/2009, 01:01 PM
I would love to take the challenge, not saying I would win but I do love hot food

So long as it tastes good and I get a little rush out of it then I dont think there can be winning or losing. :D

NormanPride
6/3/2009, 01:15 PM
agreed, I'm a Tabasco guy and I like to load certain things with jalapenos but the habanero things must be taken in moderation.

I've spoken with a few lads on here about the wonderfulness of Mrs. Renfro's Mango Habanero Salsa.

There was a guy at work here that used to make the best habanero queso on the planet. It was un-freaking-real, and spicy as hell. I've never had something that was so damn hot and flavorful at the same time.

Where can you get this salsa you speak of?

C&CDean
6/3/2009, 01:20 PM
That's the thing with habaneros over all those fiery death sauces out there. Most of those death sauces taste like.......***? They're hot, to be sure, but they suck.

Habaneros are hot, but they're flavorful. Finding the right mixture of flavor/heat is the key.

NormanPride
6/3/2009, 01:25 PM
Scotch Bonnet peppers are also awesome. I had some with a fish dish in Jamaica, and it was amazing... Too bad I've never seen any here. :(

Fraggle145
6/3/2009, 01:28 PM
That's the thing with habaneros over all those fiery death sauces out there. Most of those death sauces taste like.......***? They're hot, to be sure, but they suck.

Habaneros are hot, but they're flavorful. Finding the right mixture of flavor/heat is the key.

You are right about that. The death sauces can be useful in a pinch if you didnt add enough peppers to your chili when you were making it for example. But I dont rely on em.

Finding good habaneros is key too, most of the ones at the supermarket suck. I wait till all the people down at the station start growing em and I make some pickled ones with them. I still got about 3 jars of em from last summer.

I use just straight up apple cider vinegar, and then some garlic and carrots in my jars with the peppers. And believe me those carrots get pretty hot. :D

You add anything special to your brine Dean? (if you dont mind giving away any trade secrets)

C&CDean
6/3/2009, 01:28 PM
Scotch Bonnet peppers are also awesome. I had some with a fish dish in Jamaica, and it was amazing... Too bad I've never seen any here. :(

I think a habanero and scotch bonnet are pretty much the same. I have some scotch bonnet salsa from St. Martin (Matuks) that is allsome. The peppers look exactly the same.

Fraggle145
6/3/2009, 01:30 PM
Ya I think they are subspecies of eachother. Only difference I think is where they come from originally.

NormanPride
6/3/2009, 01:37 PM
I was unaware. You learn something new every day!

KC//CRIMSON
6/3/2009, 04:23 PM

Paul Newman's Mild Peach Habanero Salsa is almost as good.

Fraggle145
6/3/2009, 04:27 PM
You could make better yourselves...

C&CDean
6/3/2009, 04:30 PM

Yeah, except Paul Newman was a flaming liberal like yourself so I'll pass.:texan:

KC//CRIMSON
6/3/2009, 05:14 PM
Yeah, except Paul Newman was a flaming liberal like yourself so I'll pass.:texan:

I bet you were one of those reich-wing goofballs who boycotted Heinz ketchup a few years ago too....

olevetonahill
6/3/2009, 05:16 PM
I bet you were one of those reich-wing goofballs who boycotted Heinz ketchup a few years ago too....

I still am :D

Curly Bill
6/3/2009, 05:21 PM
I boycott ketchup (all ketchup) because it sucks.

Scott D
6/3/2009, 05:51 PM
Damn, Dean that actually sounds pretty delicious. I really do need to make it over to the tailgate sometime this year. I will make a point of it.

I really want to try some of these:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/11/photogalleries/elephant-pictures/images/primary/1_461.jpg

Ghost Chiles

Now the worlds hottest pepper by Guiness. They use them in India to scare of Elephants. I was googling around it seems like you can get the seeds pretty easy.

Hell Night (http://www.eastcoastgrill.net/main/hellnight.htm) They changed the Pasta from Hell recipe to include the Ghost Chili.

KsSooner
6/3/2009, 06:01 PM
Try Melinda's habanero hot sauce. You can get it at the Walmarts. The flavor hits you first and then the heat comes. I put it on anything that is tomato based like spaghetti and of course eggs.

Curly Bill
6/3/2009, 06:03 PM
Try Melinda's habanero hot sauce. You can get it at the Walmarts. The flavor hits you first and then the heat comes. I put it on anything that is tomato based like spaghetti and of course eggs.

Second. I have some of this and it's pretty tasty, and hot, but not too hot.

picasso
6/3/2009, 11:41 PM

Haven't tried that yet!

And whoever asked about Mrs. Renfroe's, you can get that at the neighborhood Wal Marts Market.

KC//CRIMSON
6/4/2009, 12:27 AM
On 9 April 2009 Anandita Dutta Tamuly, a 26 year old Indian woman, ate 51 Naga Jolokia/Ghost Chilis peppers in two minutes. The attempt took place in Jorhat, India and is expected to be accepted into the Guinness World Records. Celebrity chef and restaurateur Gordon Ramsay was present.

Collier11
6/4/2009, 12:53 AM
On 9 April 2009 Anandita Dutta Tamuly, a 26 year old Indian woman, ate 51 Naga Jolokia/Ghost Chilis peppers in two minutes. The attempt took place in Jorhat, India and is expected to be accepted into the Guinness World Records. Celebrity chef and restaurateur Gordon Ramsay was present and was one of those near when Anandita screamded,"my azz is on fire, please help me my azz is one fire".

Fixed :eek:

Crucifax Autumn
6/4/2009, 01:12 AM
I could beat her *** on that record. I'd be bleeding out the bleached anus come moring, but I can put that shat down!

Me and my whorn buddy Kregg used to make the mexicans cry at our BBQs on game day! Those a-holes would bring their hottest and we'd use it to cool off while they bobbed for ice in the cooler!

Collier11
6/4/2009, 01:13 AM
youd have to bleach your anus again and get extra buttmint to cover up the blood and melted taint smell

Collier11
6/4/2009, 01:14 AM

Freedom Fries mutha trucka!

Crucifax Autumn
6/4/2009, 01:15 AM
youd have to bleach your anus again and get extra buttmint to cover up the blood and melted taint smell

Yeah, but I'd be on Oprah's "world record" special and all that so it's all good!

Fraggle145
6/4/2009, 02:32 AM
I could beat her *** on that record. I'd be bleeding out the bleached anus come moring, but I can put that shat down!

Me and my whorn buddy Kregg used to make the mexicans cry at our BBQs on game day! Those a-holes would bring their hottest and we'd use it to cool off while they bobbed for ice in the cooler!

Im gonna try to get someone to grwo some and then we'll find out... :eek:

C&CDean
6/4/2009, 09:01 AM

Whatever.

I can eat some hot ****, but I'm old enough to know that biting off a habanero - or worse yet, one of those dead people chiles at the stem and crunching it up is beyond stupid. I mean what's the point? Kinda reminds me of the hot rod dillweeds who think that having the loudest/fastest car makes them more manly.

I'm constantly amazed by the stupid **** young guys do - especially when they drink.

Crucifax Autumn
6/4/2009, 09:52 AM
Oh, I wouldn't eat those things just to show off or anything. I'm not totally stupid. I'm just saying I could probably beat the record and I fully admit I'd be crying like a bitch paying for it!

KC//CRIMSON
6/4/2009, 12:37 PM
I'm just saying I could probably beat the record and I fully admit I'd be crying like a bitch paying for it!

Honest to God, I’d throw myself down a flight of stairs with a light bulb in my mouth to see that.

Chuck Bao
6/4/2009, 03:20 PM
I like spicy as well, although I would never enter into any chili eating competition.

I like nothing better than to take a fresh Thai mouse **** pepper (prik-key-neu), clip off the stem and stick it in Northeastern Thai sausage ball and chew it with a generous slice of fresh ginger. Thai food tends to be spicy, but it is really all about a mix of intense flavors.

According to that Scoville scale measuring the amount of capsaicin, Thai pepper (which has to be the prik-key-neu I mentioned) is tested in the 50,000 – 100,000 range, while habaneros and Scotch Bonnets are 100,000 - 350,000 and the Indian ghost chili at 1,000,000.

Growing up in Oklahoma some 40 years ago, I don’t remember that we had choices like habaneros, or even jalapenos. I do remember the local KFC would give you free jalapenos when you asked for them. I’m not sure they do that anymore and if they don’t it would be a pity because fried chicken without jalapenos would be a travesty. In Thailand, you get fresh Prik-key-neu with fried chicken, just not at KFC.

My mom now grows jalapenos and habaneros in her garden each year. I love my summer trip home (three weeks and counting) and stick the fresh jalapenos in the microwave for a minute and that’s good for every meal, including breakfast. I’m not sure what she does with the habaneros. Maybe, my sister-in-law makes her salsa from it.

According to one website, this the Scoville scale for various chilies.

Mild Chiles
Pepperocini (100 – 500)
Anaheim Pepper (500 – 2,500)
Poblano Pepper (1,000 – 2,000)
Rocotillo (1,500 – 2,000)

Medium Chiles
Jalapeno (3,500 – 8,000)
Hot Wax Pepper (5,000 – 10,000)
Serrano Pepper (6,000 – 25,000)
Chile De Arbol (15,000 – 30,000)

Hot Chiles
Cayenne Pepper (30,000 -50,000)
Tabasco Pepper (30,000 – 50,000)
Super Chile (40,000 – 50,000)
Piquin Pepper (40,000 – 58,000)

Very Hot Chiles
Thai Pepper (50,000 – 100,000)
Birds Eye Pepper (100,000 – 225,000)
Habaneros & Scotch Bonnets (100,000 - 350,000)
Red Savina Habanero (350,000 – 577,000)

JohnnyMack
6/4/2009, 03:26 PM
One time. At Subway. I got some banana peppers on my sandwich.

Collier11
6/4/2009, 03:27 PM
pansy

Fraggle145
6/4/2009, 03:29 PM
Chuck you should bring us some of them Thai peppers I'd love to try em.