PDA

View Full Version : Count me as a convert to the.....

royalfan5
6/2/2009, 07:24 PM
cooking of steaks in cast iron skillets. With butter. It's the best way to prepare a steak as far as I can tell.

Turd_Ferguson
6/2/2009, 07:34 PM
Werd. Try'd it a few months ago. It rawks. Also, add garlic.

My Opinion Matters
6/2/2009, 07:36 PM
You mean "the best way to cook a steak if you don't own a grill".

Vaevictis
6/2/2009, 07:37 PM
My grandmother used to do it with butter, soy sauce and garlic.

Then we'd take the drippings and pour them over rice.

soonerinabilene
6/2/2009, 07:52 PM
Did you do it on the stove top, or stick it under the broiler? Because if you get that skillet white hot, drop the meat in, and put it right under the broiler, its as good as you can cook a steak indoors.

royalfan5
6/2/2009, 07:57 PM
Did you do it on the stove top, or stick it under the broiler? Because if you get that skillet white hot, drop the meat in, and put it right under the broiler, its as good as you can cook a steak indoors. I did it on the stovetop.

soonerinabilene
6/2/2009, 08:17 PM
you gotta try the broiler if you liked it on stove top. Put your top oven rack as high as you can with the skillet on it, crank up the broiler, wait about 10 minutes, throw the steak on,seasoned however you like to season it,shut the oven and in about 3-5 minutes, depending on how you like your steak, you will have a perfectly cooked steak that is as close as you can get to a true New York style steakhouse. Especially if you get fancy and go with a porterhouse.

sooner ngintunr
6/2/2009, 08:23 PM
I came across this article awhile back and always wanted to try it. I usually just use my Weber or in the winter, the broiler. I'm going to have give the ol' cast iron skillet a try. (During winter of course.)

http://bbq.about.com/od/steaks/ss/aa071507a.htm

JohnnyMack
6/2/2009, 08:34 PM
I came across this article awhile back and always wanted to try it. I usually just use my Weber or in the winter, the broiler. I'm going to have give the ol' cast iron skillet a try. (During winter of course.)

http://bbq.about.com/od/steaks/ss/aa071507a.htm

There's a Bobby Flay recipe that is almost identical to that that I've used a few times. Works pretty good actually. Closest you'll come to getting a Ruth's Chris style steak at home.

swardboy
6/2/2009, 09:47 PM
Thank you all for this fine foray into food fun.

Curly Bill
6/2/2009, 10:19 PM
I've been alternating between grilling mine over charcoal, and the skillet method. For my skillet steak cookery I do it partly on the stove top and finish it off in the oven. It is goodness.