PDA

View Full Version : So when does the Feds investigate the NCAA?

OU_Sooners75
6/2/2009, 03:40 AM
http://newsok.com/ou-football-paper-reports-that-sooners-committed-violation/article/3374347?custom_click=lead_story_photo

OU football: Paper reports that Sooners committed Secondary violation
Over the weekend, the Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch published the results of a six-month long investigation of how NCAA schools use their own interpretations of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act to “censor information in the name of student privacy.”

In its investigation, titled “Secrecy 101,” which included making extensive open records requests from all 119 Football Bowl Subdivision schools, the Dispatch learned that among several violations committed by various schools across the country, an unidentified University of Oklahoma football player committed a violation last spring that was discovered in November 2008.

According to the Dispatch, the player traveled to an NFL Draft party as the guest of a former college teammate. The $1,300 trip, which included use of a credit card, was paid for by the former teammate’s agent. The university erased all names from the violation report.
The Dispatch reported that the NCAA’s penalty for the violation was that the football player had to repay $832 to a charity from his scholarship, a federal Pell grant, and the school-issued spending money he received during the team’s trip to the BCS National Championship game. An OU spokesman said the player was reinstated with no competition penalty.

I think federal law allows him to spend Pell Grant money on whatever he wishes...So if the NCAA made him pay the Pell Grant back, isnt that a violation of Federal Law? Especially seeing that the NCAA's violations are not legally binding?

Jello Biafra
6/2/2009, 09:21 AM
this is getting stupid. ok 75. so you and I play on a collge team...just say OU...you and i are like peas and carrots for the entire stay at ou.

however, i am so full of awesomeness, i annouce my intentions for the draft my sophmore year and get drafted like frist round ;)

you suck and can't get drafted until the completion of your senior year... im wearing fur coats and driving bentleys and decide you and i need to spend some time together at the new crib and jus chillax. i send you some cash so you can come up and see how my life has turned out...

now, stepping outside of this scenario and looking at the real world, i have actually done this for one of my freinds. not that much but i sent him like 500 bucks for gas money etc...

are you freaking kidding me? does this shiit have to mean so much that these guys have to be involved in EVERY single aspect of these guys lives?

i think its time for OU to sue the NCAA again.

i know where they could find a lawyer...one who has very little to do other than stare at himself in the mirror and diddle his wee willie winkie whilst wistling and thinking his bow tie is awesomeness...

OklahomaTuba
6/2/2009, 09:24 AM
I hate the NCAA.

OU_Sooners75
6/2/2009, 05:20 PM
this is getting stupid. ok 75. so you and I play on a collge team...just say OU...you and i are like peas and carrots for the entire stay at ou.

however, i am so full of awesomeness, i annouce my intentions for the draft my sophmore year and get drafted like frist round ;)

you suck and can't get drafted until the completion of your senior year... im wearing fur coats and driving bentleys and decide you and i need to spend some time together at the new crib and jus chillax. i send you some cash so you can come up and see how my life has turned out...

now, stepping outside of this scenario and looking at the real world, i have actually done this for one of my freinds. not that much but i sent him like 500 bucks for gas money etc...

are you freaking kidding me? does this shiit have to mean so much that these guys have to be involved in EVERY single aspect of these guys lives?

i think its time for OU to sue the NCAA again.

i know where they could find a lawyer...one who has very little to do other than stare at himself in the mirror and diddle his wee willie winkie whilst wistling and thinking his bow tie is awesomeness...

Trust me bro, I understand how stupid it is.

The OP, I read the article the following....

That they made the player pay back the money he received from a Federal Pell Grant.

Which, by federal law, they cannot do, because that pell grant can be spent (after school gets their part) how that player/student wishes to spend it.

Doesn't that mean that the NCAA violated a federal law by making the kid pay back money that was essentially his to begin with?

The NCAA has no control over federal loans or grants...so I do not see how thay can make a person pay it back!

And it would be nice to see OU put a halt to this type of abuse of power from the NCAA!

Apparently these student/athletes cannot have friends with money!

Nothing happened to Dwayne Jarrett from USC for his rent getting paid for by Lienarts dad....so what is the difference here?

I agree 100% with what you are saying and thinking!

goingoneight
6/2/2009, 08:18 PM
Isn't that "Ohio University?"

I mean, they can sue if they want. :D

SbOrOiNaEnR
6/2/2009, 09:55 PM
OK, not to play devil's advocate here, but couldn't this be chalked up to poor writing on the Dispatch's part? If what you're saying about Pell Grants is true (and I don't know one way or another, so I'll take your word for it), then that might just be the source of his repayment. As in:

NCAA: "Well, you've got to pay back this $800+. Find a way."
Player: "Ummm...ok. Well, my only source of income is my Pell Grant, which I'm getting 'cause I'm poor, so my parents can't bail me out on this one. Can the repayment come from there?"
NCAA: "Whatever, just pay what you owe, bitch."

Also, anyone know if there are stipulations regarding Pell Grants if you're a student athlete?

Just trying to fuel discussion here, and satisfy my curiosity.