PDA

View Full Version : Snagged Phil Steele's mag today.......

Salt City Sooner
6/1/2009, 10:19 PM
He's got OU ranked #4, behind UF,UT, & USC, & slated for a 2006 redux, meeting Boise St. in Tempe. Horns vs. Nebbish is the B12 title game.

His top 10 (plus other Big 12/OU opponents:

1. UF
2. UT
3. USC
4. OU
5. Penn St.
6. Ole Miss
7. Notre Dame
8. Alabama
9. Cal
10. tOSU
14. Ok. St.
15. BYU
21. Miami
22. NU
41. TTU
42. CU
50. Tulsa

Predicted order of finish in the Big 12:

North:

NU
CU
KSU
KU
MU
ISU

South (note: he rates the RRS a toss up, FWIW)

UT
OU (OU has the 3rd hardest schedule in the nation, BTW)
OSU
TTU
BU
TAMU

OU AA's:

1st team: Gresham at TE, McCoy at DT

2nd team: Bradford @ QB (note, he has Sam at 2nd team, but in his list of the top 60 QB's, Sam's #1. I'll take contradictory statements for $500, Alex).

4th team: Trent Williams at OT

Other Big 12 AA's:

1st team: Kendall Hunter,Dez Bryant, & Russell Okung from OSU at RB & WR, & OT, MU's Sean Witherspoon at ILB, & UT's Sergio Kindle at OLB.

2nd team: TTU's Brandon Carter at OG, BU's Joe Pawalek at ILB.

3rd team: UT's McCoy at QB, KU's Dezmon Briscoe at WR, UT's Chris Hall at C.

4th team: UT's Shipley & Ulatoski at WR & OT, MU's Kurtis Gregory at OG, KU's Darrell Stuckey at SS, & BU's Jordan Lake at FS.

NU's Henery is 3rd team PK, & OSU's Bryant is 1st team punt returner.

Unit rankings:

OU- #2 QB, #1 RB, #16 WR/TE, #1 DL, #3 LB's#15 DB's.

All Conference Sooners:

1st team:

Bradford, Murray, Gresham, & Williams on offense, McCoy, Beal, Lewis, & Franks on D.

2nd Team:

Brown & Broyles on O, English, Clayton & (I SO hope he's right) Reynolds on D.

3rd team: Broyles at punt returner, that's all.

4th team:

Simmons & Jarvis Jones on O, Jackson at CB.

FWIW, you know you have a deep conference at QB when Todd Reesing isn't even 4th team (Bradford, McCoy, Robinson, & Griffin are the 1st 4). There's some turnover at the position (KSU, NU, MU), but it's still pretty talented overall.

Individual national player ratings:

Offense
Bradford #1 QB
Murray #3 RB (how is this possible & he's still not even 4th team AA?)
Brown #6 RB (same question)
Clapp #10 FB
Gresham #1 TE
Broyles #39 WR
Williams #7 OT

Defense
English #14 DE
Beal #35 DE
McCoy #2 DT
Granger #11 DT
Taylor #56 DT
Reynolds #15 ILB
Clayton #11 OLB
Lewis #13 OLB
Bryant #52 OLB
Box #59 OLB
Franks #13 CB

Big 12/OU OOC opponent/ ex-OU affiliate projected bowl matchups:

Troy vs. Tulsa in the New Orleans Bowl
Houston vs. Nevada in the Hawaii Bowl
Baylor vs. Navy in the Texas Bowl
BYU vs. Oregon St. in the Las Vegas Bowl
CU vs. Auburn in the Independence Bowl
Arizona vs. TCU in the Poinsettia Bowl
Miami vs. Michigan in the Champs Sports Bowl
KU vs. Michigan St. in the Alamo Bowl
NU vs. Cal in the Holiday Bowl
OSU vs. LSU in the Cotton Bowl
KSU vs. Wisconsin in the Insight Bowl
TTU vs. UCLA in the Sun Bowl
OU vs. Boise St. in the Fiesta Bowl
UT vs. UF in the BCS title game

Any more questions, gimme a hollar.

Crucifax Autumn
6/2/2009, 12:42 AM
I have a few issues with this guy's assessment, particularly his rather crummy view of our D in comparison to what most everyone else in the world thinks.

English, Beal, and Box are WAY better than where this dumbazz ranks them.

MojoRisen
6/2/2009, 11:02 AM
Uterus goes down to Okie Lite this year... mark it down

OUAlumni1990
6/2/2009, 11:07 AM

co-signed

OUAlumni1990
6/2/2009, 11:08 AM

Don't forget both teams will go down to OU...mark that down too!

OUAlumni1990
6/2/2009, 11:10 AM
ND #7, LOL. There goes the credibility of that mag right there...

CincySooner
6/2/2009, 11:31 AM
You guys laugh, but every year, phil steele gets more right than wrong.

TMcGee86
6/2/2009, 11:35 AM
Actually, ND may end up that high. They play 8 teams with brand new QB's. They will be galactically overrated, but they may end up that high.

And Phil Steel is usually a huge OU supporter.

jumperstop
6/2/2009, 11:58 AM
Actually, ND may end up that high. They play 8 teams with brand new QB's. They will be galactically overrated, but they may end up that high.

And Phil Steel is usually a huge OU supporter.

We would be ranked in the top 10 every year if we only played teams that will end 3-8. Ohh wait we do end in the top ten every year and we play teams with winning records.

ND has been over rated for 20 years and will continue to be over rated until they join a conference or start scheduling harder teams. Lossing to SUC once a year does not count as a tough schedule either.

The Remnant
6/2/2009, 12:21 PM
I may be showing my age here, but the media's crush on Notre Dame reminds me of teenage girls at a Beatle's concert.

TMcGee86
6/2/2009, 01:29 PM
Who's the beatles? ;)

Eielson
6/2/2009, 01:34 PM

Only if we get rid of the 4th quarter.

Eielson
6/2/2009, 01:36 PM
Anybody else think Baylor would win the Big XII North if they were in it? I think they would be at least fighting with Nebraska for it.

soonermix
6/2/2009, 01:46 PM
Anybody else think Baylor would win the Big XII North if they were in it? I think they would be at least fighting with Nebraska for it.

maybe when that griffin(sp) kid is a sr.

meoveryouxinfinity
6/2/2009, 02:06 PM
No way Ole Miss can live up to their expectations

OUstud
6/2/2009, 02:41 PM
ND #7, LOL. There goes the credibility of that mag right there...

If Notre Dame isn't ranked somewhere at the end of the season, then they ought to fire Weis immediately. Just look at their "schedule":

September 5 Nevada
September 12 at Michigan
September 19 Michigan State
September 26 at Purdue
October 3 Washington
October 17 USC
October 24 Boston College
October 31 Washington State
November 7 Navy
November 14 at Pittsburgh
November 21 Connecticut
November 28 at Stanford

It's a tour of USC, then mediocrity and futility, and yet ND will somehow find a way to screw it up.

goingoneight
6/2/2009, 02:57 PM
Where in Tulsa are the magazines being sold?

CaliBornSoonerBred
6/2/2009, 03:23 PM
Two big issues with his rankings. Am I the only one who thinks that SUC are poised for a VERY rough season without their qb and stud LB corps? I don't see them past top 8 but the media won't let that happen. And DAMN, aggie lite at 14? Give me a break, I think they shock the rest of the world(sort of in a Tech way from last year, until us hehehe) and run the table until they play us. We all know Sam won't duplicate his numbers from last year but all the crap in the media has to fuel a big fire under the offense. Now if we can just get the O line to step up......

JLEW1818
6/2/2009, 03:27 PM
usc being ranked top 3 is ****ing stupid.

oudivesherpa
6/2/2009, 04:04 PM
Who's the beatles? ;)

Who's Notre Dame?

Eielson
6/2/2009, 05:15 PM

Posts like this would be put under the category "didn't learn from history". I don't like them, but how often are they not right up there by the end of the season?

JLEW1818
6/2/2009, 05:19 PM
they could lose their coach, and entire offense and defense and still be ranked top 5.

They won't win the pac10 this year i don't think.

Nobody thought Georgia would win it all last year, but they all voted them the number 1 team, preseason. I don't see how what usc returns is preseason number 3?

BoulderSooner79
6/2/2009, 05:38 PM
Posts like this would be put under the category "didn't learn from history". I don't like them, but how often are they not right up there by the end of the season?

Have to agree. I don't like them either, but they own the Pac10. As long as they win the conference, they are guaranteed a BCS bowl played in their own backyard. There is hope this year with them replacing almost the entire D along with the starting QB. But none of the other Pac10 teams have been consistent enough to win the conference lately even if they knock off 'SC.

goingoneight
6/2/2009, 08:05 PM
Are any magazines out in Tulsa yet?

Jacie
6/2/2009, 08:56 PM
Have to agree. I don't like them either, but they own the Pac10. As long as they win the conference, they are guaranteed a BCS bowl played in their own backyard. There is hope this year with them replacing almost the entire D along with the starting QB. But none of the other Pac10 teams have been consistent enough to win the conference lately even if they knock off 'SC.

The no-consistency-'cept-for-the-team-named-the-same-as-a-teenager's-birth-control-method-of-choice league may finally have an upstart as opposed to a spoiler and said team is coached by . . . Rick Neweasel.

I think he finally landed someplace that can appreciate him and if he can dethrone Southern Cow I might even start to like him.

Eielson
6/2/2009, 10:47 PM
The no-consistency-'cept-for-the-team-named-the-same-as-a-teenager's-birth-control-method-of-choice league may finally have an upstart as opposed to a spoiler and said team is coached by . . . Rick Neweasel.

I think he finally landed someplace that can appreciate him and if he can dethrone Southern Cow I might even start to like him.

Washington almost won a game, didn't they?

MI Sooner
6/3/2009, 05:35 AM
What was OU ranked in his power rankings? I think his "rankings" are his projection of how teams will finish given their schedules and how people will vote. His power rankings are his rankings of the best teams, without considering schedule.

MojoRisen
6/3/2009, 08:14 AM
SC will loose to the bucknuts, no way in hell any of there QB's will be ready for that place in game 2.. That is a loss. It would take a serious effort in my opinion for SC to knock off Ohio St at their place with payback on the minds of 100K fans & players prime time.

I think they drop one to Oregon as well in Autzen, and likely a 3rd on the road somewhere.

JLEW1818
6/3/2009, 10:46 AM
SC will loose to the bucknuts, no way in hell any of there QB's will be ready for that place in game 2.. That is a loss. It would take a serious effort in my opinion for SC to knock off Ohio St at their place with payback on the minds of 100K fans & players prime time.

I think they drop one to Oregon as well in Autzen, and likely a 3rd on the road somewhere.

exactly what i think.

Salt City Sooner
6/3/2009, 11:01 AM
What was OU ranked in his power rankings? I think his "rankings" are his projection of how teams will finish given their schedules and how people will vote. His power rankings are his rankings of the best teams, without considering schedule.
Power rankings top 25:

1. UF
2. UT
3. OU
4. USC
5. Ole Miss
6. Penn St.
7. Bama
8. LSU
9. Notre Dame
10. Cal
11. UGA
12. tOSU
13. Va. Tech
14. OSU
15. TCU
16. Iowa
17. Miami
18. Illinois
19. Nebraska
20. Boise St.
21. UCLA
22. BYU
23. Clemson
24. Florida St.
25. Arkansas

Other Big 12/ OU OOC's:

28. TTU
42. Baylor
44. KU
53. CU
55. Tulsa
56. KSU
57. MU
69. A&M
85. ISU

jumperstop
6/3/2009, 02:31 PM

Agree...I don't think USC should be anywhere in the top 5.

sooneron
6/4/2009, 01:53 PM
If Notre Dame isn't ranked somewhere at the end of the season, then they ought to fire Weis immediately. Just look at their "schedule":

It's a tour of USC, then mediocrity and futility, and yet ND will somehow find a way to screw it up.

September 5 Nevada W
September 12 at Michigan toss up
September 19 Michigan State W, but close
September 26 at Purdue W
October 3 Washington W
October 17 USC L
October 24 Boston College W
October 31 Washington State W
November 7 Navy W, but closer than they'd like
November 14 at Pittsburgh possible loss
November 21 Connecticut W
November 28 at Stanford L (Harbaugh will have his team fired up for this one)

meoveryouxinfinity
6/4/2009, 03:30 PM
September 5 Nevada W
September 12 at Michigan L
September 19 Michigan State L
September 26 at Purdue L
October 3 Washington W
October 17 USC L
October 24 Boston College L
October 31 Washington State W
November 7 Navy W
November 14 at Pittsburgh W
November 21 Connecticut L
November 28 at Stanford W

corrected

MiccoMacey
6/4/2009, 08:54 PM

Got mine.

Call me, and I can rent it to you for a mere pitance of what it's worth to you.

ouwasp
6/4/2009, 11:59 PM

got mine at the Barnes and Nobles across the street from Promenade on Wednesday...

Crucifax Autumn
6/5/2009, 01:04 AM
Bullshat...I'll download a PDF in a few days at most. Tha innerwebs and copyright infringement can be a good thing!

goingoneight
6/5/2009, 09:34 AM
Found teh muthaload of CFB magazines yereterday. Picked me up an Athlon Sports mag. No real reason other than I saw us ranked above Texaz.

OUmillenium
6/5/2009, 12:20 PM
Athlon is the only one they had at Books a million 2 days ago. Others may be in now.

The Remnant
6/5/2009, 01:06 PM
Hearing all this talk of USC losing does might heart good. Now if only the NCAA would grow a pair of nuts.