PDA

View Full Version : Homemade BBQ Sauce/Rubs

soonerinabilene
5/29/2009, 09:03 PM
Anybody here make their own sauce or rubs for bbq? I just made a basic sauce with ketchup, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, pepper, onion powder, lemon juice and worchestire. It was ok, not great, not bad. Gonna keep tinkering with it.

Jacie
5/29/2009, 09:05 PM
Try adding some honey . . . and a pinch of red pepper.

soonerinabilene
5/29/2009, 09:07 PM
I thought about honey, but was afraid it would be too sweet with the amount of brown sugar i originally used.

King Crimson
5/29/2009, 09:14 PM
my mom uses apple butter in her BBB sauce and a crapton of freshly ground black pepper. vinegar. it was rocking with our meat smoker back in the day.

sooneron has some good stuff, seems. but he's gonzo.

olevetonahill
5/29/2009, 10:39 PM
Leave the worchestire out that ****s nasty :D
Just before the Ribs are Done brush some Molasses on em
Good stuff Maynard ;)

Curly Bill
5/29/2009, 10:49 PM
I was watching Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives and they were having some kind of BBQ special...

...anyway, seems like all the rubs had paprika.

OU_Sooners75
5/29/2009, 10:58 PM
Here is a sauce I have made a couple of times....very good stuff. Not my own recipe...so I will share it with you.

Ingredients:

1 cup ketchup (I use Hunt's)
2/3 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1/2 cup apple juice or cider
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/3 cup bacon bits, ground in a spice grinder
1/3 cup peeled and grated apple
1/3 cup grated onion
2 teaspoons grated green bell pepperPreparation:

Combine the ketchup, rice vinegar, apple juice or cider, cider vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, white pepper, cayenne, and bacon bits in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Stir in the apple, onion, and bell pepper. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until it thickens slightly. Stir it often. Allow to cool, then pour into sterilized glass bottles. A glass jar that used to contain mayonnaise or juice works real well. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

KC//CRIMSON
5/29/2009, 10:59 PM
This is the rub I use for ribs. All equal parts except double the salt.

cumin
paprika
granulated garlic
granulated onion
chili powder
brown sugar
kosher salt
cayenne pepper
black pepper
white pepper

Curly Bill
5/29/2009, 11:03 PM

cumin
paprika
granulated garlic
granulated onion
chili powder
brown sugar
kosher salt
cayenne pepper
black pepper
white pepper

Sounds a lot like the ones they had on the TV tonight. Would this be considered a "Kansas City" rub?

edit...are there regional rubs even? I know they talk about KC barbecue, Memphis barbecue, Carolinas, Texas, etc...

OU_Sooners75
5/29/2009, 11:08 PM
Sounds a lot like the ones they had on the TV tonight. Would this be considered a "Kansas City" rub?

That rub...yeah it would be considered a Kansas City Rub, thanks to the sweetness of it.

OU_Sooners75
5/29/2009, 11:09 PM

cumin
paprika
granulated garlic
granulated onion
chili powder
brown sugar
kosher salt
cayenne pepper
black pepper
white pepper

Wouldnt the Brown Sugar have more than the rest?

KC//CRIMSON
5/29/2009, 11:15 PM

edit...are there regional rubs even? I know they talk about KC barbecue, Memphis barbecue, Carolinas, *Texas*, etc...

The main difference in those is in the sauce and whether it's served dry or wet.

The rubs are all pretty much the same. Some have sugar, some don't.

That recipe is a standard rub with a few extras thrown in.

Curly Bill
5/29/2009, 11:17 PM
The main difference in those is in the sauce and whether it's served dry or wet.

The rubs are all pretty much the same. Some have sugar, some don't.

That recipe is a standard rub with a few extras thrown in.

I was thinking the main differences was in the sauce, and that in some regions they prefer pork, whereas in another they prefer beef, etc...

KC//CRIMSON
5/29/2009, 11:24 PM
It's all about the pig, for me anyways. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131142&highlight=memphis)

Curly Bill
5/29/2009, 11:33 PM
I think one of the places they showed was a KC place. The guy that ran it would on request cook up a whole pig for ya.

OU-HSV
5/30/2009, 08:08 AM
I was lookin for a recipe recently so I could try to cook up some brisket. That's something I've never cooked (on a grill, smoker or oven). I'd like to find a good recipe for some brisket. But I don't have a smoker. So anyways, here's a recipe I found that I'm going to try some day, since it says it can be done on a grill or in the oven. Ultimately though I know nothing will beat smoked brisket.

http://www.olsouthrecipes.com/bbq/brisket.html