PDA

View Full Version : Obama drops charges against black panthers

Jerk
5/29/2009, 06:53 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2009/05/29/charges-black-panthers-dropped-obama/

Bush administration charges against three members of the New Black Panther Party for Self-Defense have been dropped by the Obama Justice Department.

The charges stemmed from an incident at a Philadelphia polling place on Election Day when three members of the party were accused of trying to threaten voters and block poll and campaign workers by the threat of force - one even brandishing what prosecutors call a deadly weapon.

The three black panthers, Minister King Samir Shabazz, Malik Zulu Shabazz and Jerry Jackson were charged in a civil complaint in the last days of the Bush administration with violating the voter rights act by using coercion, threats and intimidation. Shabazz allegedly held a nightstick or baton that prosecutors said he pointed at people and menacingly taped it. Prosecutors also say he "supports racially motivated violence against non-blacks and Jews."

The complaint says they hurled racial slurs at both blacks and whites.

A poll watcher who provided an affidavit to prosecutors in the case noted Democrat Bartle Bull, who worked as a civil rights lawyer in the south in the 1960's and is a former campaign manager for Robert Kennedy, said it was the most blatant form of voter intimidation he had ever seen.

In his affidavit, obtained by FOX News, Bull wrote "I watched the two uniformed men confront voters and attempt to intimidate voters. They were positioned in a location that forced every voter to pass in close proximity to them. The weapon was openly displayed and brandished in plain sight of voters."

He also said they tried to "interfere with the work of other poll observers ... whom the uniformed men apparently believed did not share their preferences politically," noting that one of the panthers turned toward the white poll observers and said "you are about to be ruled by the black man, cracker."

A spokesman for the Department of Justice told FOX News, "The Justice Department was successful in obtaining an injunction that prohibits the defendant who brandished a weapon outside a Philadelphia polling place from doing so again. Claims were dismissed against the other defendants based on a careful assessment of the facts and the law. The department is committed to the vigorous prosecution of those who intimidate, threaten or coerce anyone exercising his or her sacred right to vote."

Scott D
5/29/2009, 06:56 PM
you are aware that the way you phrased the topic title you made it sound like Obama was pressing charges against them and decided to not do so.

JLEW1818
5/29/2009, 06:59 PM
I was waiting for this one to come up!!!!

lol but on a serious note (and I'm not an Obama fan)

Obama probably laughs at members of the black panthers, and members of the kkk.

Any group like that really needs to get the hell out of America. And save their racist bull **** for somebody who gives a damn.

KC//CRIMSON
5/29/2009, 07:08 PM
In other news from the same site:

RCP Poll
President Obama Job Approval
Approve 60.7%
Disapprove 32.8%

JLEW1818
5/29/2009, 07:10 PM

RCP Poll
Approve 60.7%
Disapprove 32.8%

so who was your favorite president of all time???

KC//CRIMSON
5/29/2009, 07:12 PM
The Presidents Of The United States Of America

Scott D
5/29/2009, 07:16 PM
I'm also curious, how does one menacingly tape something?

I'm serious here, I want to know so I can menacingly tape the grill of my jeep to further intimidate people on the road.

JLEW1818
5/29/2009, 07:18 PM
I'm also curious, how does one menacingly tape something?

I'm serious here, I want to know so I can menacingly tape the grill of my jeep to further intimidate people on the road.

:D

JLEW1818
5/29/2009, 07:18 PM
The Presidents Of The United States Of America

you gotta have a fav......

i aint hating dog

Jerk
5/29/2009, 07:28 PM

RCP Poll
Approve 60.7%