PDA

View Full Version : History of OU Football: 1991

Jacie
5/29/2009, 03:49 PM
Though this one is okay, after 1991, these get more painful to read. Unlike an historically accurate account of the games, however, they reveal the mood of the author and IMO, how most of us felt as these events took place. Given that we are in a third "golden age" of OU football, let us never forget that it was not always so good.

1991: Eligible for Bowl Games Again

OU entered their third year of probation, but without television restrictions and finally the two-year bowl ban was over as well. The only thing left were scholarship reductions, which at the present time were still not a big deal from an “appearance” standpoint. It should be noted that a probationary period never hurts except possibly in recruiting. It’s the years after which the damage becomes apparent.
OU’s 1991 non-conference schedule was very similar to what Nebraska did every year, which was schedule two cupcakes and one opponent that didn’t totally stink. That said, OU started out the season against North Texas and won 40-2. OU struggled scoring in the first half and if memory serves me correctly, this was the game where Jeff Frasier set an OU freshman record for the longest run from the line of scrimmage. I could be wrong, but it sounds right. It was a little alarming that OU’s offense struggled against the likes of North Texas, but it is so easy to blame it on being the first game of the season. By the way, using “first game of the season” is a terrible excuse, especially when the defense you practiced against in spring and fall drills is 50 times better than the opponent’s defense that they were facing! With the North Texas game in the past OU moved on to Utah St. and posted a 55-21 victory. Nothing exceptional, but OU took care of business. OU’s third non-conference foe was expected to pose more of a challenge, but OU was still expected to win nonetheless. Virginia Tech, was undefeated going into the OU game and returned quite a few starters from the year before. They put up a fight, but OU went on to win 27-17 and improve to 3-0 on the young season. Ah, and then a game I was sadly looking forward to. The revenge game against Iowa St.! ISU was solid on offense with a little running back named Blaise Bryant who broke most of the career ISU rushing records until Troy Davis came around, but OU proved to be too much and defeated the Cyclones 29-8, mildly erasing the embarrassing loss from the year before. Up next for OU were the Texas Longhorns. The team that OU had now lost to twice in a row, on game winning TD passes. Could it get any worse than the way that OU lost those two games? Excluding the injury to Gaddis in 1989, yes, it could get worse! OU was up 7-3 throughout most of the 4th quarter and was basically looking to burn the clock on what was we were hoping to be the final possession. Instead the worst imaginable happened as Mike McKinley fumbled on about the 21-yard line and Bubba Jacques brought it back for a Longhorn TD. Texas won 10-3 and those are the type of games than can make a person cry. It looks like the game is won, then victory is snatched a way on one fumble. It just goes to show you why you NEVER, EVER get too conservative in a football game, regardless of the situation. OU lost to Texas for the third year in a row and it was rather disheartening when you recall how they lost. But, OU was still sitting at 4-1 and was eligible for bowl games again so it was time so re-focus. Unfortunately, OU played like they were still suffering from a UT hangover and played a lethargic game against Colorado and lost 34-17. The following week, OU got a breather against KU and won going away 41-3. The Sooners followed up with a game against KU’s weak sister in KSU, but for some odd reason, OU did not totally destroy this Wildcat squad. Granted, OU won, but it was only by the score of 28-7. Yes, OU only scored one less touchdown than the year before, but a 21-point victory margin over the Mildcats was alarming! OU returned the following week and defeated Missouri 56-16 to get things back on track and improve to 7-2. Then came along what OSU fans call “Bedlam” which I call, well you already know, and they played a competitive game before falling to OU 21-6. Things were decent considering OU was in its 3rd year of probation. OU was 8-2 and headed to a bowl game regardless of the outcome versus Nebraska. Well, Nebraska got revenge from the embarrassment from the year before, but not by much. Nebraska won 19-14, but nevertheless, OU was headed for it’s first bowl game since 1988 so I was happy even at 8-3. Through the few weeks leading into the Gator Bowl, all OU faithful heard about was Matt Blundin and all the numbers he put up as well as Sam Slade on defense and how OU was probably in trouble. But when it came game time, OU under the direction of OC Larry Coker came out and surprised Virginia with a passing attack! Yea, OU actually passed in a football game and not only broke several of OU single game passing records, but Gator Bowl records as well! I still could not believe what I was seeing even in the 4th quarter. The offense racked up over 600 yards and Cale Gundy, the MVP, threw for over 300. This was new territory for OU and I could only hold my breath on what the future seasons would bring. But I must admit I liked what I witnessed! When it was all said and done with, OU won 48-14 and memories of the Gator Bowl would carry over for the beginning of the next season to keep us highly optimistic.