PDA

View Full Version : The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien

ADs_Agent
5/29/2009, 10:05 AM
Will be the first time that I consistently watch the Tonight Show in my almost 24 years on the earth. Love Conan, loved him when he was a writer for SNL and the Simpsons and love his comedy. Jay I could take or leave, but my parents really liked him, Conan is trying to bring in the younger demographic to watch the Tonight Show.

That being said, Jimmy Fallon sucks.

MrJimBeam
5/29/2009, 10:26 AM
The only Tonight Show's I watch are my "The Best of The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson" DVD set.

CrimsonJim
5/29/2009, 11:02 AM
I've watched The Tonight Show since I was a wee lad, and it has gone from awesome (Johnny Carson), to tolerable (Jay Leno), to where I may be forced into watching [*gasp*] David Letterman (Conan O'brien). Sorry, but the wife and I are just not on the same wavelength as Conan.

SanJoaquinSooner
5/29/2009, 11:19 AM
I miss Johnny, Ed, and Doc. Never warmed to Jay, although I thought he was a decent standup comedian. I like Conan's quirkyness. We'll see how it plays on the big stage.

Dio
5/29/2009, 11:56 AM
I've been a Letterman fan since his NBC days, but now his show seems to be more about grinding his political axe than about being funny. I'm definitely interested to see what Conan does with the Tonight Show.

C&CDean
5/29/2009, 12:00 PM
I'll give the geek a shot, but if the Tonight Show turns into anything even remotely resembling Conan's regular show I'm out. Leno did a good job of carrying Carson's torch for 17 years (damn, it doesn't seem like it could be that long). I predict Conan will extinguish it within one - unless he changes his "look at me making faces at the camera and acting like an ADDHD 5 year old" schtick.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/29/2009, 12:03 PM
I pretty much quit watching it after Carson left...I was in high school when Carson was the guy, and enjoyed staying up to watch him not just do his monologue but he to me was the best with his guests....

I switched to Letterman then

ADs_Agent
5/29/2009, 12:21 PM
NBC is pretty much telling the Baby Boomers at this point that their opinion is mattering less and less, Conan is being brought in to appeal to a younger crowd with the staying power. I kinda shrugged when they announced Conan a couple years ago, but this could be interesting.

C&CDean
5/29/2009, 01:04 PM
NBC is pretty much telling the Baby Boomers at this point that their opinion is mattering less and less, Conan is being brought in to appeal to a younger crowd with the staying power. I kinda shrugged when they announced Conan a couple years ago, but this could be interesting.

Meh. The baby boomers pay the bills. You young dillweeds are all wrapped up in your video game fantasy lives. Staying power? You're kidding me, right?

Chuck Bao
5/29/2009, 01:16 PM
I liked Leno. He wasn't a replacement for Carson, but I would watch. Conan is not a replacement for Leno, in my opinion, and I'm not going to watch. As others pointed out, it is probably a generation thing.

GottaHavePride
5/29/2009, 02:33 PM
I didn't like Leno. I think Letterman is better at interviewing guests. Personally, I'd rather watch Craig Ferguson (on after Dave) than Dave, Leno, OR Conan.

TMcGee86
5/29/2009, 02:45 PM
I love Conan, can't wait to watch.

Never really watched Carson but remember when Leno took over, I liked Leno but never watched it religiously. Letterman's tolerable on occasion but I agree, lately it's too slanted for my taste.

ADs_Agent
5/29/2009, 03:00 PM
Will be watching Conan, I think >35 crowd will eat it up, which is who I believe NBC is going after right now.

Jimmy Fallon still sucks

yermom
5/29/2009, 03:03 PM
i didn't realize until last night that they were moving Leno to prime time

that's the bigger story IMO

i don't typically watch any of the talk shows anymore, but i like the idea of Conan. i still think Letterman got a bum deal 17 years ago (man i feel old) and never really cared all that much for Johnny in the first place. i just didn't "get" him or something.

sitzpinkler
5/29/2009, 04:39 PM
Will be watching Conan, I think >35 crowd will eat it up, which is who I believe NBC is going after right now.

Jimmy Fallon still sucks

I think you meant <35

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2009, 04:44 PM
i didn't realize until last night that they were moving Leno to prime time

that's the bigger story IMO

i don't typically watch any of the talk shows anymore, but i like the idea of Conan. i still think Letterman got a bum deal 17 years ago (man i feel old) and never really cared all that much for Johnny in the first place. i just didn't "get" him or something.

Carson wanted Letterman to replace him though and not Leno.

Carson -- Love
Letterman -- Love
Conan -- Love
Leno -- HATE
Ferguson -- Eh...
Fallon -- Hate. He really is awful.

walkoffsooner
5/29/2009, 05:51 PM
Conan is a little silly should be good maybe great

KC//CRIMSON
5/29/2009, 07:18 PM
Meh. The baby boomers pay the bills. You young dillweeds are all wrapped up in your video game fantasy lives. Staying power? You're kidding me, right?

Conan is going to be around for a long time. I wish he would bring Andy back!

Jimmy Fallon, not so much.

bluedogok
5/29/2009, 08:05 PM
We would watch Leno, when it was in a repeat we would watch Letterman, we would always switch if it off Conan and over to Ferguson.

Some people are acting like Leno's move to prime time is a "new" thing, seems to me to be a resurrection of the old 70's era staple with a slight twist, the variety show. A comedy bit, some music, interviews...Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin were doing it with a more talk show format and then you had all the others that were more music focused but still had skits and stuff.

CrimsonJim
5/29/2009, 11:12 PM

I saw Andy on some talk show late last week, or earlier this week, and I could swear he said he was going to be on the show. Anybody else see/hear this, or am I just dreaming???

SicEmBaylor
5/29/2009, 11:13 PM
I saw Andy on some talk show late last week, or earlier this week, and I could swear he said he was going to be on the show. Anybody else see/hear this, or am I just dreaming???

No he is, Andy will be on the show fulltime as Conan's sidekick again.

CrimsonJim
5/29/2009, 11:17 PM
Well there ya have it sports fans!

Crucifax Autumn
5/29/2009, 11:43 PM
Yep...Who wouldn't miss Leno:

http://www.vintagedepotdirect.com/media/TY30.jpg

CrimsonJim
5/29/2009, 11:44 PM
Me....

Crucifax Autumn
5/29/2009, 11:47 PM
Seriously. Didn't anyone else notice that Jay Leno is actually the MacTonight Moon Man????

picasso
5/29/2009, 11:52 PM

Fallon sucks. I like Leno but I guess it's a good time to bring Conan in to groom him for the older folks.
I've liked Conan from day 1 (actually saw his first show). We shall see.

KC//CRIMSON
5/30/2009, 08:37 PM
Fallon sucks. I like Leno but I guess it's a good time to bring Conan in to groom him for the older folks.
I've liked Conan from day 1 (actually saw his first show). We shall see.

His first show on Monday will have Will Ferrell and Pearl Jam.:cool:

Soonerus
5/30/2009, 09:29 PM
I think Conan will do a good job...

VeeJay
5/31/2009, 06:08 AM
Letterman reminds one of Jimmy Carter - still bitter at the world 20 years after the Snub of His Life. He could be on MSNBC following Keith Olbermann and he'd have the same shrill hate going on.

tidalmouse
5/31/2009, 09:37 AM
His first show on Monday will have Will Ferrell and Pearl Jam.:cool:

That'll be Good.Conan's always had Really Good Musical Guests.The White Stripes were on every night one week.I've always liked his Comedy also.I can see how he might be too Silly for some,but that's his act,like it or not.

I think it's unanimous that Jimmy Fallon Sucks.

TUSooner
6/1/2009, 01:28 PM
I go to bed at 9:30 p.m. :O

:eek:

Mjcpr
6/1/2009, 01:40 PM

There are Golden Girls reruns on Lifetime if you can stay up until 10.

soonervegas
6/1/2009, 03:07 PM
It's never going to work. People that watch The Tonight Show like their comedy bland......that's why Jay worked so well. Conan will be out within 2 years and we will see Carson Daly or Ryan Seacrest....and mindless, dumb middle America will eat them up.

C&CDean
6/1/2009, 03:12 PM
It's never going to work. People that watch The Tonight Show like their comedy bland......that's why Jay worked so well. Conan will be out within 2 years and we will see Carson Daly or Ryan Seacrest....and mindless, dumb middle America will eat them up.

Oh. My bad for not realizing that Conan presents such high-brow, intellectual humor that us dumb middle Americaners don't get. Meh.

Dio
6/1/2009, 03:25 PM

Take it to the Matlock thread, pops.

:D

Collier11
6/1/2009, 03:34 PM
Conan will probably have to tone it down some which unfortunately means no more masturbating bear, other than that he will be fine ;)

Collier11
6/1/2009, 03:36 PM

yep, im hoping they bring back the staring contests

C&CDean
6/2/2009, 10:35 AM
So, I watched this thing last night. Sorry, but if it doesn't get any better, we're talking in the ****ter, ASAP. I might have chuckled once, but mostly I just thought "this is it? L. A. M. E." He needs to lose the sidekick on this one. He may have been OK back in the day, but he looked like some amped up Howdy Doody with nothing meaningful to say. I give it a solid D-.

CrimsonJim
6/2/2009, 10:46 AM
^^^^ This....only I didn't make it through the entire show. *shrug*

C&CDean
6/2/2009, 10:50 AM
Yeah, I shut it off after Will Ferrell showed up with the Egyptians carrying him - WTF? I didn't see Pearl Jam. Maybe they saved it from being a total flop?

sooner_born_1960
6/2/2009, 10:54 AM
I only caught the opening 10 minutes or so. And to be honest, I thought it was pretty lame. The jokes looked forced, and basically unfunny. That Andy dude was trying to help, but failed. And they kept talking over each other.

C&CDean
6/2/2009, 11:04 AM
Yeah, it looked to me like Conan was very uncomfortable and out of his comfort zone.

And if you watched the first 10 minutes then all you saw was the stupid running across America deal and then forgot the keys and then bulldozed into the studio schtick. Not. Funny. Not even a little bit.

soonermix
6/2/2009, 11:12 AM
i was a wee lad when carson was still on and only very rarely was i able to stay up late enough to watch him so i only know that he was the king since that is what leno, letterman and conan say.

didn't love leno but i got the occasional giggle
i prefer letterman over leno
but my favorite is conan

the masturbating bear is possibly the funniest thing i have ever seen

and yes fallon sucks

sooner_born_1960
6/2/2009, 11:19 AM
OK. It might have been 15 minutes. I did see the monologue.

olevetonahill
6/2/2009, 11:26 AM
Doubtful I will ever tune in :rolleyes:

CrimsonJim
6/2/2009, 11:29 AM
I had endured the monologue when you called and saved me. ;)

olevetonahill
6/2/2009, 11:37 AM
I had endured the monologue when you called and saved me. ;)

Vet to da rescue :D

ADs_Agent
6/2/2009, 12:58 PM
I thought it was ok, but Conan was definately out of his element. I thought the buying the whole tour bus something from the $.99 store was funny. Overall I give it a B-, will improve

KC//CRIMSON
6/2/2009, 01:37 PM
Went to the gym and totally spaced on watching, but if Dean didn't like it, then that means I would have loved it. Will watch tonight!

C&CDean
6/2/2009, 02:08 PM
Went to the gym and totally spaced on watching, but if Dean didn't like it, then that means I would have loved it. Will watch tonight!

Heh. I bet you wouldn't have. Like I said, I missed Pearl Jam (who I don't like or dislike) which may have salvaged the show, but the rest of the show was just meh. The whole driving in circles and stopping at the .99 store to buy everybody something (heads of lettuce, toys, stupid **** like that) was Lettermanesque circa 2000 or so. Tired and lame.

Seriously, the bits may have been a little better - if they didn't drag on and on for like 10 minutes each. It may have not been that long, but it seemed like it. And I can remember watching Conan with that Andy dude a while back and that deal was OK. Last night? Forced, contrived, uncomfortable, and.....lame.

See for yourself.

OUstud
6/2/2009, 02:20 PM
C'mon people, it was the first episode. Of course it's going to be forced. Just wait a week or so, then tune back in. By then, the novelty will have worn off and he'll return to his usual hilarious self...plus more Max Weinberg.

VeeJay
6/2/2009, 07:24 PM
nobody mentioned the waterfall with the Octomom's water just broke line?

colleyvillesooner
6/2/2009, 07:42 PM
I think he'll settle in a little more as it goes on. I though last nights was OK.

soonerinabilene
6/2/2009, 07:50 PM
nobody mentioned the waterfall with the Octomom's water just broke line?

heh- i snorted milk out of my nose when he said that. I think once he gets into his comfort zone he will be fine. And they need to involve Andy more than just having him announce.

VeeJay
6/2/2009, 09:25 PM
I'd like to see 'em bring back "In The Year Two Thou-SAAAANNNND!"

But Tonight Show watchers like my Mom and Dad prolly wouldn't watch it. They'd flip over to FoxNews and watch O'Reilly for the second time.

Lott's Bandana
6/3/2009, 12:00 AM
I like Conan and to have him move into the Tonight Show slot makes me feel old, like we've (boomers) have had to hand the ball to the manager.

Having said that, last night sucked. No other word to describe it.

I'm sure it will get better, but it seemed their show was like a couple of OU fans sitting in Eskimo Joe's before a football game. Really out of place, not moving, but not really all that comfortable either.

Letterman took some shots on his show last night that were pretty good. He has picked up some old man mannerisms that I find kinda sad.

Do I have those? (no, I don't fart constantly in public places with no warning...that's not what I mean)

Dio
6/3/2009, 09:07 AM
Last night's Conan was way better than Monday's

badger
6/3/2009, 09:14 AM

This seems to happen every generation - remember that show Bonanza? It was apparently the highest-viewed television show in the country when it got canceled. The reason was that it was appealing to a crowd that wouldn't buy the crap advertised during the show.

My guess is that this move is to appeal to advertisers. You say the younger gen is all video gamified, but the younger generation also buys tons and tons of crap. You may think baby boomers spend a lot, but their spending is nothing compared to young and stupid professionals like my peers, heh :D

ADs_Agent
6/3/2009, 09:16 AM
This seems to happen every generation - remember that show Bonanza? It was apparently the highest-viewed television show in the country when it got canceled. The reason was that it was appealing to a crowd that wouldn't by the crap advertised during the show.

My guess is that this move is to appeal to advertisers. You say the younger gen is all video gamified, but the younger generation also buys tons and tons of crap. You may think baby boomers spend a lot, but their spending is nothing compared to young and stupid professionals like my peers, heh :D

:D , you may be on to something here. Plus Leno is moving up an hour to the 9 to 10 slot I believe. I wish Conan the best, Jimmy Fallon can DIAF (not literally)

C&CDean
6/3/2009, 09:19 AM

But Tonight Show watchers like my Mom and Dad prolly wouldn't watch it. They'd flip over to FoxNews and watch O'Reilly for the second time.

That was a funny bit. If it's the one I'm thinking of where dude is holding the flashlight under his chin. If Conan is going to be successful, he needs to be Conan, and folks will either embrace him or not. I watched again last night - well not the whole show, but the monologue - if you call it that - and it was better than Monday, but still lame. And the faggish little winks and waves between him and the dweeb Andy need to stop.

C&CDean
6/3/2009, 09:23 AM
This seems to happen every generation - remember that show Bonanza? It was apparently the highest-viewed television show in the country when it got canceled. The reason was that it was appealing to a crowd that wouldn't buy the crap advertised during the show.

You youngsters kill me. The younger generation may buy tons and tons of crap, but to say they spend more than the average baby boomer is just plain dumb. How many 20-somethings do you know that own businesses, live in $500K+ homes, have 3-4 $45K plus vehicles sitting outside, pay thousands and thousands in not only their own loans, but also for their stupid kids, etc.? You said you were blonde and not a red head, now I believe it.:P

badger
6/3/2009, 09:39 AM
to say they spend more than the average baby boomer is just plain dumb.
Come now, dean, I never said we spent more, I said that our spending didn't compare... and this is why it doesn't...

It's not who spends more overall, but who buys more CRAP. I think I specifically said "crap" a few times in that post, didn't I?

Bonanza's cancellation wasn't because its viewers didn't spend money or didn't have money... it's because they weren't buying the advertised crap.

$500K homes are wonderful things, but perhaps advertisers would prefer people who spend their $ on crap instead of wise investments like homes.

Now... go ahead and make the blonde jokes. I've heard them all before.

EDIT: You also used the word "loans" in telling of older people's spending habits, which is also very telling. Advertisers don't need people that pay off loans (unless they're the ones trying to get you to take out loans, like banks, etc) they want people that spend new money on new things, not pay off old purchases.

C&CDean
6/3/2009, 09:44 AM
Oooh, a little touchy on the blonde thing huh?

I guess if they're advertising Natty Lite, video games, McDonalds, Pop Rocks, and Hyundais then you're right.

Anybody remember the Ted Mack Amateur Hour? Brought to you by Geritol. Hell, anybody remember Geritol?

badger
6/3/2009, 09:50 AM

whatev. i didn't see you lay the smacketh down when people were insulting the packers on your "i'm the decider" stickified thread. so regardless what you say now about my hair color, which is by the way, all natural, your lack of action against packer haters makes you DEAD. TO. ME.

;)

Collier11
6/3/2009, 10:19 AM

the staring contest is awesome, they need that back. They still do the year 2000

C&CDean
6/3/2009, 01:16 PM
whatev. i didn't see you lay the s*Mack*eth down when people were insulting the packers on your "i'm the decider" stickified thread. so regardless what you say now about my hair color, which is by the way, all natural, your lack of action against packer haters makes you DEAD. TO. ME.

;)

You see, this is the difference between a young person and an old person - besides us spending a hell of a lot more money.

When you get old, you tend to let people get away with being stupid, obtuse, and disrespectful to the greatest NFL franchise in the history of the universe and beyond. I start to react violently, then I think "why bother. This dillweed probably likes the Dallas Kahboys or Minnesota Viqueens or worse yet is one of those flavor-of-the-month fans who changes favorite teams like they change their drawers."

Simply put, Packer haters ain't worth it. They're jealous. They're pissed because their team isn't a charter NFL team. They're pissed because their team didn't play in and win the first two Super Bowls. They're pissed because their team isn't owned by the fine, decent hard working folks of the city - rather it's owned by some psycho megalomaniac Arkie with a bad face lift who keeps hiring POS thugs like TO and Pacman who thinks he's the owner, coach, counselor, masseur, pimp, and hooker to his players. They're pissed because their team doesn't play in storied, hallowed, blessed Lambeau Field - rather they play in their psycho owner's new amusement park.

So, when these cretins try to dis the Packers I just know it's jealousy and I understand and feel sympathy for them rather than rage. Nothing more, nothing less.

badger
6/3/2009, 02:07 PM
You see, this is the difference between a young person and an old person - besides us spending a hell of a lot more money.

Not to mention you outnumber us.... <sigh> you're never gonna let this issue go, are you? Just post the shoebox CEO farewell and move on, dean :D

Gandalf_The_Grey
6/3/2009, 02:47 PM
The Green Taurus thing was pretty damn funny to me as well.

tidalmouse
6/3/2009, 02:59 PM
I 've enjoyed both Shows.I like the way it's gone so far with one decent guest,a little Conan out on the Town,and then a Good Musical Guest.Not sure how long they can keep the same caliber of guests though.

I've always liked his Sense of Humor.I'm 47 but have the Sense of Humor of an 8th Grader. :confused:

KC//CRIMSON
6/3/2009, 03:41 PM
I thought it was pretty good for a second show. The Rodeo Road bit was great.

It will get a lot better once he gets his game on.

One thing is for sure, the stage his musical guests get to perform on is AWESOME.

Collier11
6/3/2009, 03:58 PM
He has looked a little nervous which is to be expected, once the overall tone of the show relaxes and stops trying to be "SO FUNNY", it will be greatness every night

Lott's Bandana
6/5/2009, 06:56 PM

I guess if they're advertising Natty Lite, video games, McDonalds, Pop Rocks, and Hyundais then you're right.

Anybody remember the Ted *Mack* Amateur Hour? Brought to you by Geritol. Hell, anybody remember Geritol?

Part of my Drunkytown "Top Shelf". :O

KC//CRIMSON
6/5/2009, 07:23 PM
That was a funny bit. If it's the one I'm thinking of where dude is holding the flashlight under his chin. If Conan is going to be successful, he needs to be Conan, and folks will either embrace him or not. I watched again last night - well not the whole show, but the monologue - if you call it that - and it was better than Monday, but still lame. And the faggish little winks and waves between him and the dweeb Andy need to stop.

They brought it back this week except now it's called: In The Year Three Thousand.

“In the year 3000 YouTube, Twitter & Facebook will merge into one super time wasting website called YouTwitFace.”

Collier11
6/5/2009, 08:26 PM
I think the best all time was Jim Carrey
"In the year 2000 the cucumber is replaced by the carrot as the #1 method of scratching that deep rectal itch"

Chuck Bao
6/5/2009, 09:27 PM
I think the best all time was Jim Carrey
"In the year 2000 the cucumber is replaced by the carrot as the #1 method of scratching that deep rectal itch"

But really, the whole baby boomer generation has to feel let down by false advertising and the fact that we were expecting flying cars by now. I know for a fact that my whole butt itch issue is because we are not yet flying.

soonerboomer93
6/6/2009, 10:41 AM
Seriously. Didn't anyone else notice that Jay Leno is actually the MacTonight Moon Man????

no, Mac's chin and forehead are much too small

KC//CRIMSON
6/6/2009, 03:15 PM
So I'm watching Conan last night and this new band Chickenfoot is about to take the stage. Chickenfoot is a new project band made up of Sammy Hagar, Joe Satriani, Michael Anthony, and Chad Smith. Now, right before they take the stage I turned to my significant other and say "check out the drummer, he looks just like Will Ferrell." Not two seconds later, Chad Smith walks out, gets behind his drums, and is wearing a t-shirt that says..."I'M NOT WILL FERRELL!"

Hilarious.

KC//CRIMSON
6/10/2009, 06:26 PM
QNV7V91b8Hc

Gold.