PDA

View Full Version : serious question: why does my ipod nano suck?

King Crimson
5/28/2009, 04:28 PM
the old ipod, 1st generation 20g, crapped out so i bought a nano. the volume level is pathetic and the balance is all screwed up. if you listen to something that has a bunch of studio layered tracks like Radiohead OK Comp or Inrainbows it sounds comical and really bad. like when you used to play with mom and pops old Hi-Fi and goof around with the Right and Left channel knobs.

i've checked the volume limit thing and it's where it's supposed to be and the EQ (equilizer) presets are pointless....switching from "Rock" to "Latin" or "R&B" does absolutely nothing.

the sound quality on the old one blows this one away. it's annoying. help? ideas? is there something i'm missing? i've tried switching headphones, all the files are the same....the only variable in the new suckitude is the new player.

My Opinion Matters
5/28/2009, 04:47 PM
I dunno. I had a 1st gen nano and the sound quality was fine.

Lott's Bandana
5/28/2009, 04:48 PM
I just gave my daughter a Nano for her birthday and I'll ask her if she's having the same issues.

C&CDean
5/28/2009, 04:57 PM
the old ipod, 1st generation 20g, crapped out so i bought a nano. the volume level is pathetic and the balance is all screwed up. if you listen to something that has a bunch of studio layered tracks like Radiohead OK Comp or Inrainbows it sounds comical and really bad. like when you used to play with mom and pops old Hi-Fi and goof around with the Right and Left channel knobs.

i've checked the volume limit thing and it's where it's supposed to be and the EQ (equilizer) presets are pointless....switching from "Rock" to "Latin" or "R&B" does absolutely nothing.

the sound quality on the old one blows this one away. it's annoying. help? ideas? is there something i'm missing? i've tried switching headphones, all the files are the same....the only variable in the new suckitude is the new player.
Ain't got nothing to do with the player. It's the palayuh. He's gettin' old.

King Crimson
5/28/2009, 05:07 PM

does a professional write yer material Obi Wan? :D

stoops the eternal pimp
5/28/2009, 05:08 PM

yeah king...I m sure there is a walkman somewhere at a garage sale with your name allll over it

C&CDean
5/28/2009, 05:10 PM
Heh. What really torques my *** is that my player (it's not an ipod, it's the other thingy - MP3?) doesn't push my headphones nearly as well as my laptop. I can seriously get my rock on with my Bose headphones and my laptop. It is kinda inconvenient though to jog and lift with the laptop strapped to my back, so I gotta use the player.

King Crimson
5/28/2009, 05:15 PM
yeah king...I m sure there is a walkman somewhere at a garage sale with your name allll over it

dude, cool. maybe they'll start making those transparent cassettes again. those were allsome.

stoops the eternal pimp
5/28/2009, 05:16 PM
I always appreciated my off white cassettes...I know I still have that soundtrack to Footloose somewhere if you need to borrow it

stoops the eternal pimp
5/28/2009, 05:20 PM
Heh. What really torques my *** is that my player (it's not an ipod, it's the other thingy - MP3?) doesn't push my headphones nearly as well as my laptop. I can seriously get my rock on with my Bose headphones and my laptop. It is kinda inconvenient though to jog and lift with the laptop strapped to my back, so I gotta use the player.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2008/12/videoman.jpg

TUSooner
5/28/2009, 07:21 PM
That ^^^^^^^ :D

KC//CRIMSON
5/28/2009, 07:58 PM
I always appreciated my off white cassettes...I know I still have that soundtrack to Footloose somewhere if you need to borrow it

I still have my cassette collection. Over two hundred strong.

Jacie
5/28/2009, 08:13 PM
I still have my cassettes and some of my LPs. Too bad about my 8 tracks, gave those up a long time ago. Won't be long till CD's are extinct, assuming they aren't already. The digital era is moving into middle age. Any futurists want to tell us what's over the horizon?

King Crimson
5/28/2009, 09:00 PM
I still have my cassette collection. Over two hundred strong.

i finally broke down and tossed mine about a year ago. there was a lot of stuff i taped from people that you can't replace, like all these blues LP's from the UK one of my buddies dad (they live in Newcastle) collected in the 60's. live Hendrix stuff you can't get here.....in addition to everything else. though, i went pretty much from vinyl to CD...the vast majority of my cassettes were taped from vinyl or CD for the car or walkman.

i had this Replacements live tape that was recorded at the Bowery in OKC that Twin/Tone actually printed some copies called "When the sh*t hits the Fans"....and they are LOADED. the first side is them playing sloppy but passable versions of their Let it Be period catalog. the second was almost unlistenable since they were even MORE LOADED and taking requests from the audience. they try and play everything from Radio Free Europe to Iron Man to Bad Company's Can't Get Enough of your love....to, you got it, Freebird. some of the the "takes" are less than 30 seconds long. a real hoot to listen to. some of it is awful.

KC//CRIMSON
5/28/2009, 09:20 PM
You know they do have cassette to MP3 converters? It's kind of a pain to edit individual songs though....

As for your iPod, it may just be the model. I have a new Classic that I use to play stuff similar to yours and it sounds great.

King Crimson
5/28/2009, 09:37 PM
You know they do have cassette to MP3 converters? It's kind of a pain to edit individual songs though....

sure. i don't know. really, i'm at peace with it. as much "digital stuff" as i've got through p2p i can't complain. i've got more music than i've ever had at any time in my life by double at least. there are some gaps of stuff i'd like to have from the vinyl collection days....but, hey.

As for your iPod, it may just be the model. I have a new Classic that I use to play stuff similar to yours and it sounds great.

i don't know what to do. it's aggravating since so much stuff doesn't sound right. for now, i'll just load up stuff that was recorded in simpler times than OK Computer or whatever. i've had such crappy experiences with the apple products i've bought from the two powerbooks to this. the one exception was the old 20g...that thing was great.

picasso
5/28/2009, 10:33 PM
I've got a shuffle and for the life of me can't figure out all of the dorks who wear them in the gym.
"Hey Biff, you finished on the cable pull?"

"huhhrrrh?"

Me, I can't mow without it. That and make boing boing.