PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Calipari got while the gittin' was good.....

Salt City Sooner
5/27/2009, 09:39 PM
The Memphis men's basketball program has been charged by the NCAA with major violations during the 2007-08 season under former coach John Calipari, the Memphis Commercial Appeal reported on Wednesday.

The allegations include "knowing fraudulence or misconduct" on an SAT exam by a player on the 2007-08 team.

The wording of the report indicates the player in question only competed during the 2007-08 season and the 2008 NCAA tournament. The player's name was redacted in the report due to privacy laws, The Commercial Appeal reported.

If the NCAA allegations are proven true, Memphis might have to forfeit their NCAA-record 38 victories and Final Four appearance.

Memphis received the notice of allegations Jan. 16 and is scheduled to appear before the NCAA Committee on Infractions June 6.

Calipari left Memphis for Kentucky on March 31. The NCAA has requested his presence at the hearing, although he is not named in the report.

It is also alleged that Memphis provided $2,260 in free travel to road games for an associate of a player, The Commercial Appeal reported. The NCAA is charging Memphis with a failure to monitor.

"We take it very seriously. We don't condone it," athletic director R.C. Johnson told the Commercial Appeal, who declined to comment in detail about the allegations. "We're doing a thorough investigation."

Kentucky spokesperson Dewayne Peevey said Calipari and athletic director Mitch Barnhart were unavailable for comment.

Kentucky assured its boosters when it hired Calipari it had done its due diligence in checking his background.

"Sandy Bell and the compliance folks talked with the NCAA and checked records and facts," Barnhart said April 1 when Calipari was introduced at Kentucky. "David Price, other people at the high level with the NCAA, assured us how much they enjoyed working with John in that process.

"We have all had our critics about how we manage and lead our programs. For seven years I've had my share and I've been through it. Our commitment at the University of Kentucky to compliance and discipline has always been strong, and that will not change. John's commitment to compliance and discipline has always been strong, and that will not change."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4210798

GottaHavePride
5/27/2009, 09:45 PM
The SAT? What, did they have someone go take it for him while he was in high school? College students don't take the SAT.

royalfan5
5/27/2009, 09:50 PM
The SAT? What, did they have someone go take it for him while he was in high school? College students don't take the SAT.

He was just pulling a page out of the Eddie Sutton playbook.

tulsaoilerfan
5/27/2009, 10:34 PM
The player in question about the SAT is Derrick Rose; imagine that

Collier11
5/28/2009, 12:50 AM
which is another reason why this one and done rule is retarded...they either need to get rid of the rule or change it to something similiar to the NFL rule

JLEW1818
5/28/2009, 01:40 AM
which is another reason why this one and done rule is retarded...they either need to get rid of the rule or change it to something similiar to the NFL rule

yep. and kids are going to start going across seas, get few million for a year, come back and enter the draft.

badger
5/28/2009, 07:29 AM
yep. and kids are going to start going across seas, get few million for a year, come back and enter the draft.

for some that'll work. for others... don't a lot of kids choose colleges because they're close to home?

SCxxSOONER
5/28/2009, 02:39 PM
That oglesby kid from Clemson and Calethes from Florida both playing overseas next yr

Collier11
5/28/2009, 02:42 PM
Calethas getting $1.1 mil plus room and board and a huge tax break

soonerfan28
5/28/2009, 03:05 PM
I've heard a rumor that D. Rose had someone take a fake ID in and take the test for him. Maybe Calipari had one of his runner do it.

badger
5/29/2009, 07:13 AM
Question - would you send your smartest runner to do it, or just an average student?

If you send your smartest kid, you might end up with an implausible test grade. But, if you send average joe college runner, you might get a normal score... or, he could completely tank the test too :D

the_ouskull
6/1/2009, 07:14 PM
I just have visions of an ID checker looking at some scrawny, five-foot-six white pimply-faced kid, and going, "YOU'RE Derrick Rose?"

Ah, the stench of Calipari. When are people going to learn?

the_ouskull

SoonerShark
6/1/2009, 07:23 PM
"The allegations include "knowing fraudulence or misconduct" on an SAT exam by a player on the 2007-08 team."

Excuse me, but it is NOT "SAT" it is SIT in obedience school. Sit, Fetch, Come, Stay, etc.